Dreaded head gasket ? rubber leak

Has anybody had a head gasket job done if so what is the rough cost per side ?

And did the engine get removed as I've been told it can be removed without removing the motor however stud removal etc. could become problematic I think  ? Has any one tried one of the many chemi weld or other products with any success

Tried to do a topic on head gasket search but that function eluded me just could not type into the search box Les is it just a Yahoo glitch as has not been a problem before and  sure there would be plenty of pervious head gasket topic info on the site

Cheers Guys and thanks in advance

We had the worst head gasket experience. To cut a very long and painful story short; a reputable garage told us the gasket needed doing, and would be $1900. Van had been driving perfectly for years but had just a very small water leak. We saved, and took her in. 3 weeks later after appalling communication it was done. For some reason a couple of other sensor parts were replaced on the engine, though I am sure they worked fine before as engine was good. That added $400. I think it is the law to inform customers before adding 'extras'...
Anyhow, 40 mins from the garage and there was an almighty clunk and rattle and the engine lost all power. Called garage (late Friday) they said get it towed to their place at my cost ($400) and they would look on Monday. I left a note on dash saying vehicle not to be driven. Well, it was driven into the garage on Monday, and eventually turned out a bearing had seized, cracked the camshaft etc. I asked why this would happen after years of trouble free driving yet 40 mins after the engine had been pulled apart by them, and was told it was simply coincidence. And to get the van back on the road would be another $3k. It was a total of 3months and $6k before we got her back just last week, driving exactly as before but without that tiny water leak. We sold our car to pay for the repairs, and couldn't afford any legal advice or engineers inspection reports etc. 
So, hindsight was.... Should have left it until really bad, should have just gone for a near new subi engine or as new rebuilt 2.1mv, and/or should have just tried pulling it apart myself.
Garage will remain anonymous as I cannot prove anything, but their customer communication was also astonishingly bad, as was our 'luck'.

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Aug 2014, at 1:19 am, "peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

And did the engine get removed as I've been told it can be removed without removing the motor however stud removal etc. could become problematic I think  ? Has any one tried one of the many chemi weld or other products with any success

Tried to do a topic on head gasket search but that function eluded me just could not type into the search box Les is it just a Yahoo glitch as has not been a problem before and  sure there would be plenty of pervious head gasket topic info on the site

Nick that's a pain full experience the costs can get out of control quickly if they don't communicate extra issues.
Pete SEQ

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Nick Fletcher nwjfletcher@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

We had the worst head gasket experience. To cut a very long and painful story short; a reputable garage told us the gasket needed doing, and would be $1900. Van had been driving perfectly for years but had just a very small water leak. We saved, and took her in. 3 weeks later after appalling communication it was done. For some reason a couple of other sensor parts were replaced on the engine, though I am sure they worked fine before as engine was good. That added $400. I think it is the law to inform customers before adding 'extras'...
Anyhow, 40 mins from the garage and there was an almighty clunk and rattle and the engine lost all power. Called garage (late Friday) they said get it towed to their place at my cost ($400) and they would look on Monday. I left a note on dash saying vehicle not to be driven. Well, it was driven into the garage on Monday, and eventually turned out a bearing had seized, cracked the camshaft etc. I asked why this would happen after years of trouble free driving yet 40 mins after the engine had been pulled apart by them, and was told it was simply coincidence. And to get the van back on the road would be another $3k. It was a total of 3months and $6k before we got her back just last week, driving exactly as before but without that tiny water leak. We sold our car to pay for the repairs, and couldn't afford any legal advice or engineers inspection reports etc.
So, hindsight was.... Should have left it until really bad, should have just gone for a near new subi engine or as new rebuilt 2.1mv, and/or should have just tried pulling it apart myself.
Garage will remain anonymous as I cannot prove anything, but their customer communication was also astonishingly bad, as was our 'luck'.

Sent from my iPhone

On 25 Aug 2014, at 1:19 am, "peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

And did the engine get removed as I've been told it can be removed without removing the motor however stud removal etc. could become problematic I think ? Has any one tried one of the many chemi weld or other products with any success

Tried to do a topic on head gasket search but that function eluded me just could not type into the search box Les is it just a Yahoo glitch as has not been a problem before and sure there would be plenty of pervious head gasket topic info on the site