Electronic Rust Prevention

Immersions are no problem - have you seen my ability to drive across causeways?

Roger

--- On Fri, 4/3/11, plander@optusnet.com.au <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Friday, 4 March, 2011, 4:09 AM

> Don't steel marine craft run some sort of system with sacrificial
> anodes.

Yes, but they need to be immersed.

Also used in boat motors, water heaters and steel roofing.

Phill

Phill. I wonder if you can make the garage completely airtight. The salt fog we have here gets into everything. Even tools inside a drawer in my garage.

Don’t let it stop you moving to paradise!!!

Peter from Port

Dear Hart,(I don't normally address blokes that way)

My camper has a wind deflector on the driver's side - I assumed it had been swapped over on the Caravelle. It worked fine in the rain driving back from Adelaide but I would have thought having it on the drivers side more important.
The car came plumbed with a Nokia phone in a cradle which fortunately also fits my old phone -so you're right it is an antenna mounting which is awaiting the actual screw in small antenna.My brother believes he has one in a box - somewhere!!!
 Lots of TLC jobs to do but here's a picture of the outside after polishing.I'm rather pleased with the way it has come up. (Sorry Phil it wasn't the genuine VW wax)
Have tried your sleeping underneath suggestion which has great appeal but living on one of the busiest bike paths in Melbourne does require one to be rather careful not to leave feet poking out.
Cheers
Roger

--- On Fri, 4/3/11, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention
To: "Hartmut Kiehn" <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Received: Friday, 4 March, 2011, 6:09 AM

Roger,

I like the roo bar with fill in . On mine the bar is without the infill. However I have got the complete thing in the rear bumper.

Don't think the left wiper is original, never seen one with wind deflector before... The thing in  the w/screen on top, is that the antenna ?    Hart

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:24:59 -0800
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Don't steel marine craft run some sort of system with sacrificial anodes.Have to agree its constant vigilance, fish oil and trying to resist the temptation of beaches.
This is the front of my new Caravelle after I polished it. I've never seen the front seams of a T3 looking so good after 20years.

Roger
Melbourne

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, neil smith <jackthebearau@yahoo.com> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 3 March, 2011, 2:08 PM

I installed an electronic rust prevention system in my T2 soon after I bought it.  The van had been resprayed professionally in 2 pak paint but I soon realised that it was a poor quality job. 
The edges of the roof gutters had been sanded back exposing bare metal on the edge and both the primer and subsequent paint layers missed this edge leaving it bare.  There was also a patch of thick bubbly rust with flaking paint about 75mm square at the back near the chassis.  i didn't have time to repair it so bought the electronic system in the hope it would buy me some time. 
5 years on and I can't discount it or advocate it but I am surprised how little the rust has advanced in this time.  In my experience 12 months usually shows up significant rust advancement for unprotected metal or dodgy rust repairs. 
I have been to Fraser Island once and Stockton beach once as well as brief beach driving at Cape York and the odd boat ramp.   Some bogged up rust holes in the sliding door started to open up about a year ago which is interesting since I didn't install any pads on the sliding door (couldn't figure out how to run the wires without fouling the door).   These systems don't claim to prevent rust but rather slow it so are not a substitute for good paint coverage. 
I would suggest if you love your car it may be worth the expense as an additional protective measure ie. use as many means of protection as possible.  My van has many cavities that I can't access and the beauty of this system is that it works everywhere, if it works at all that is. 

Neil.     

Sent: Thu, 3 March, 2011 2:21:00 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Has anybody studied/installed a rust prevention system on their Syncro ?

I'm starting to get a bit more rust every year from repeated beach driving etc. Be good to prevent it spreading further.

Mark

In coastal environments, salt is absorbed by the moisture in the atmosphere.   When this atmosphere contacts anything that is cooler than ambient, condensation occurs.   As the condensate evaporates off, the salt remains and coats whatever the condensate has covered.  

There is no way in the world that this can be controlled with anything other than a dedicated enclosure with a controlled atmosphere.   A Syncro sized enclosure could be created but it would cost many times more than the Syncro it housed!

The only practical solution is fish oil and similar, applied regularly, properly and in large quantity.   A key requirement is that it MUST penetrate and adequately coat EVERY weld seam because that’s where salt accumulation does irreparable damage.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter Coe
Sent: 04 March 2011 12:00
Subject: RE: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Phill. I wonder if you can make the garage completely airtight. The salt fog we have here gets into everything. Even tools inside a drawer in my garage.

Peter from Port

Roger,

That is why I am very careful to address him as Hartmut!!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
Sent: 04 March 2011 12:23

Roger, the machine looks beautiful even if you did not use VW wax!!! It is a regular job up here but my other half (daughter of Hart, Hartis, Hartmut, whatever you like to call him) keeps giving me other jobs to do. Hart tells me it runs in the female side of the family!!!

Cheers, Peter from salty Port

It needs some huge wheels and massive tyres Roger. Those standard rims will never do.

Your unlimited bank balance should allow that no doubt? Ha ha ha!

Cheers,

Skot

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:22 PM

My camper has a wind deflector on the driver's side - I assumed it had been swapped over on the Caravelle. It worked fine in the rain driving back from Adelaide but I would have thought having it on the drivers side more important.
The car came plumbed with a Nokia phone in a cradle which fortunately also fits my old phone -so you're right it is an antenna mounting which is awaiting the actual screw in small antenna.My brother believes he has one in a box - somewhere!!!
 Lots of TLC jobs to do but here's a picture of the outside after polishing.I'm rather pleased with the way it has come up. (Sorry Phil it wasn't the genuine VW wax)
Have tried your sleeping underneath suggestion which has great appeal but living on one of the busiest bike paths in Melbourne does require one to be rather careful not to leave feet poking out.
Cheers
Roger

--- On Fri, 4/3/11, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

To: "Hartmut Kiehn" <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Received: Friday, 4 March, 2011, 6:09 AM

Roger,

I like the roo bar with fill in . On mine the bar is without the infill. However I have got the complete thing in the rear bumper.

Don't think the left wiper is original, never seen one with wind deflector before... The thing in  the w/screen on top, is that the antenna ?    Hart

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:24:59 -0800

Don't steel marine craft run some sort of system with sacrificial anodes.Have to agree its constant vigilance, fish oil and trying to resist the temptation of beaches.
This is the front of my new Caravelle after I polished it. I've never seen the front seams of a T3 looking so good after 20years.

Roger
Melbourne

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, neil smith <jackthebearau@yahoo.com> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 3 March, 2011, 2:08 PM

I installed an electronic rust prevention system in my T2 soon after I bought it.  The van had been resprayed professionally in 2 pak paint but I soon realised that it was a poor quality job. 
The edges of the roof gutters had been sanded back exposing bare metal on the edge and both the primer and subsequent paint layers missed this edge leaving it bare.  There was also a patch of thick bubbly rust with flaking paint about 75mm square at the back near the chassis.  i didn't have time to repair it so bought the electronic system in the hope it would buy me some time. 
5 years on and I can't discount it or advocate it but I am surprised how little the rust has advanced in this time.  In my experience 12 months usually shows up significant rust advancement for unprotected metal or dodgy rust repairs. 
I have been to Fraser Island once and Stockton beach once as well as brief beach driving at Cape York and the odd boat ramp.   Some bogged up rust holes in the sliding door started to open up about a year ago which is interesting since I didn't install any pads on the sliding door (couldn't figure out how to run the wires without fouling the door).   These systems don't claim to prevent rust but rather slow it so are not a substitute for good paint coverage. 
I would suggest if you love your car it may be worth the expense as an additional protective measure ie. use as many means of protection as possible.  My van has many cavities that I can't access and the beauty of this system is that it works everywhere, if it works at all that is. 

Neil.     

Sent: Thu, 3 March, 2011 2:21:00 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Has anybody studied/installed a rust prevention system on their Syncro ?

I'm starting to get a bit more rust every year from repeated beach driving etc. Be good to prevent it spreading further.

Mark

My syncro storage house is built into the face of a cliff so even though we are about 500m from the beach the salt tends to drift past and just rust my trailer sitting out the front.

Skot

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:35 PM

In coastal environments, salt is absorbed by the moisture in the atmosphere.   When this atmosphere contacts anything that is cooler than ambient, condensation occurs.   As the condensate evaporates off, the salt remains and coats whatever the condensate has covered.  

There is no way in the world that this can be controlled with anything other than a dedicated enclosure with a controlled atmosphere.   A Syncro sized enclosure could be created but it would cost many times more than the Syncro it housed!

The only practical solution is fish oil and similar, applied regularly, properly and in large quantity.   A key requirement is that it MUST penetrate and adequately coat EVERY weld seam because that’s where salt accumulation does irreparable damage.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter Coe

Peter from Port

My Syncro (Transporter based) has a deflector on the driver’s side, with Audi/VW part number.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
Sent: 04 March 2011 12:23

My camper has a wind deflector on the driver's side - I assumed it had been swapped over on the Caravelle.

Ohhh. I'm a bit slow on the uptake. I didn't realise Mr Coe was related to Mr Kiehn by marriage. Keeping those Syncros in the family, eh?
Francesca
On 4 March 2011 13:00, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

My syncro storage house is built into the face of a cliff so even though we are about 500m from the beach the salt tends to drift past and just rust my trailer sitting out the front.
Skot

In coastal environments, salt is absorbed by the moisture in the atmosphere. When this atmosphere contacts anything that is cooler than ambient, condensation occurs. As the condensate evaporates off, the salt remains and coats whatever the condensate has covered.

There is no way in the world that this can be controlled with anything other than a dedicated enclosure with a controlled atmosphere. A Syncro sized enclosure could be created but it would cost many times more than the Syncro it housed!

The only practical solution is fish oil and similar, applied regularly, properly and in large quantity. A key requirement is that it MUST penetrate and adequately coat EVERY weld seam because that’s where salt accumulation does irreparable damage.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Coe

Peter from Port

Yes Francesca. I had to buy a T3 though before I could really become part of the family and I have gone one better by getting a Syncro. It is very handy having Harts garage in town and I just helped pour a big new slab outside the workshop so we have more room to work on the vehicles.

My previous car was a nice Subaru Liberty wagon with all the trimmings so at least the engines are both flat fours!!!

Cheers, Peter from Port

Well, I hope at least Hart's Garage gives you mates rates! I suppose a Syncro is a pretty good excuse to bond with your father-in-law: if you can weather a Syncro's idioSYNCROcies together you should be right... You'd better be careful about advertising expanded facilities or you might be inundated with enquiries. Hope you don't regret that Subaru.
Francesca.

On 4 March 2011 13:13, Peter Coe <peter@coeconsult.com.au> wrote:

Yes Francesca. I had to buy a T3 though before I could really become part of the family and I have gone one better by getting a Syncro. It is very handy having Harts garage in town and I just helped pour a big new slab outside the workshop so we have more room to work on the vehicles.

My previous car was a nice Subaru Liberty wagon with all the trimmings so at least the engines are both flat fours!!!

Cheers, Peter from Port

Um . . .  yes, that’s something that we forgot to mention.   If you and Tony split, you can only remarry within the Syncro_T3_Australia group . . . 

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Francesca Coles
Sent: 04 March 2011 13:07
Cc: Mr Scott Pitcher
Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Ohhh. I'm a bit slow on the uptake. I didn't realise Mr Coe was related to Mr Kiehn by marriage. Keeping those Syncros in the family, eh?

Francesca

On 4 March 2011 13:00, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

My syncro storage house is built into the face of a cliff so even though we are about 500m from the beach the salt tends to drift past and just rust my trailer sitting out the front.

Skot

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Coe

Peter from Port

Hi Francesca, yes, Peter has been a great help with the slab. It is 3.6 x 9.3 m just the right size to  park a Syncro. When we finished the surface with the 'helicopter', it struck me and I rushed to get tints of heaps of different colours and threw them onto the wet concrete. The thing looks just magic !! Elke demands that I wipe my shoes before I walk onto it and wants the side one uses to drive onto gravelled with bluemetal, plus we have to make shure the tyres are clean.......... Can't win, always a compromise........... Hart

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:13:58 +1100

Cheers, Peter from Port

Great idea to add in a bit of colour. A good advert for Natural Paints?

Les, I don't remember that being part of the marriage vows.

Francesca.

On 4 March 2011 15:39, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

Hi Francesca, yes, Peter has been a great help with the slab. It is 3.6 x 9.3 m just the right size to park a Syncro. When we finished the surface with the 'helicopter', it struck me and I rushed to get tints of heaps of different colours and threw them onto the wet concrete. The thing looks just magic !! Elke demands that I wipe my shoes before I walk onto it and wants the side one uses to drive onto gravelled with bluemetal, plus we have to make shure the tyres are clean.......... Can't win, always a compromise........... Hart

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:13:58 +1100

Cheers, Peter from Port

What's more important than putting wax on the syncro?

Maybe I'll keep the syncro in Sydney and get a sacraficial Subaru.

Phill

> Peter Coe <peter@coeconsult.com.au> wrote:
>
> Roger, the machine looks beautiful even if you did not use VW wax!!! It
> is a
> regular job up here but my other half (daughter of Hart, Hartis,
> Hartmut,
> whatever you like to call him) keeps giving me other jobs to do. Hart
> tells
> me it runs in the female side of the family!!!
>
> Cheers, Peter from salty Port
>
That would be a VW Australia part number.

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> My Syncro (Transporter based) has a deflector on the driver's side, with
> Audi/VW part number.
>
> Les
>
Maybe I'll keep the other Port unit up the road and put a rubber seal around the tilt door. Would be easier to seal than the double garage!

Then I could use the double garage for the sailing boat and kayaks.

I don't think that I'll get bored at Port!

Phill

> Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> My syncro storage house is built into the face of a cliff so even though
> we are about 500m from the beach the salt tends to drift past and just
> rust my trailer sitting out the front.
>
> Skot
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Les Harris
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:35 PM
> Subject: RE: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention
>
>
>
>
> In coastal environments, salt is absorbed by the moisture in the
> atmosphere. When this atmosphere contacts anything that is cooler than
> ambient, condensation occurs. As the condensate evaporates off, the
> salt remains and coats whatever the condensate has covered.
>
> There is no way in the world that this can be controlled with anything
> other than a dedicated enclosure with a controlled atmosphere. A
> Syncro sized enclosure could be created but it would cost many times
> more than the Syncro it housed!
>
> The only practical solution is fish oil and similar, applied
> regularly, properly and in large quantity. A key requirement is that
> it MUST penetrate and adequately coat EVERY weld seam because that's
> where salt accumulation does irreparable damage.
>
> Les
>
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Coe
> Sent: 04 March 2011 12:00
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: RE: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention
>
>
>
> Phill. I wonder if you can make the garage completely airtight. The
> salt fog we have here gets into everything. Even tools inside a drawer
> in my garage.
>
> Don't let it stop you moving to paradise!!!
>
> Peter from Port
>
>
>
>
>