Electronic Rust Prevention

Has anybody studied/installed a rust prevention system on their Syncro ?

I'm starting to get a bit more rust every year from repeated beach driving etc. Be good to prevent it spreading further.

Mark
Mark,

There was a bloke up @ Long Jetty NSW who was wrecking a 2wd Trakka T3 due to massive rust damage.

He had one of those electronic rust preventative devices fitted to the camper by a previous Owner.

This clearly did not work as the rust was out of control.

He said he did some research and found that they need a really high current to actually work and if the current was that strong you would be electrocuted every time you tried to get in the van.

Hence, in his opinion they are a big white elephant and just not worth it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I think a lot of fish oil and POR15 are probably your best bet.

Or do as Jon in WA did and take the syncro apart then fully hot dip galvanise anything that is metal.

Cheers,

Skot

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:21 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

I'm starting to get a bit more rust every year from repeated beach driving etc. Be good to prevent it spreading further.

Mark

And give the underside a good blast with fresh water after every dip in the sea to get the salt off. And make sure all the drain holes in the doors etc are clear so any condensation can get out. Treat any rust spots quickly with POR15 primer. It's brilliant stuff if used correctly.

On 03/03/2011, at 2:46 PM, Mr Scott Pitcher wrote:

Mark,

There was a bloke up @ Long Jetty NSW who was wrecking a 2wd Trakka T3 due to massive rust damage.

He had one of those electronic rust preventative devices fitted to the camper by a previous Owner.

He said he did some research and found that they need a really high current to actually work and if the current was that strong you would be electrocuted every time you tried to get in the van.

Or do as Jon in WA did and take the syncro apart then fully hot dip galvanise anything that is metal.

Cheers,

Skot

Mark

1. stay off the beach.
2 see a professional rust prevention company.
3.rust converter and fish oil.
i have friends who regularly used go to frasar island for the taylor fishing and they used to get peanut oil sprayed up under their vehicle before going and then sprayed with water then peanut oil when leaving i think it only slowed the rust process. one of tham was a ford mechanic and stated that you should see the damage to vehicles not just body rusting caused by the salt and sand it fxxxxs everything from brakes to universals etc
as far as the external body a good wax will help to protect the paint and panels plus a wash as soon as possible after being on the beach
bob dale
bob dale 

Mark

I would say touch up the paint as you notice new chips to slow the rust process and in the mean time start saving for a professional respray and do so before you have rust holes if possible. I don't mean a cheapo sand it back and slap another layer of paint on top job like many paint and panel shops will do for little money. A professional job, sanded primed and paint bake dried isn't cheap but if it lasts another 20 years I think it's money well spent

I have personally spent thousands on rust repair products and in the end found that touch up repairs are temporary at best.
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 03:21:00 +0000

Mark

I installed an electronic rust prevention system in my T2 soon after I bought it.  The van had been resprayed professionally in 2 pak paint but I soon realised that it was a poor quality job. 
The edges of the roof gutters had been sanded back exposing bare metal on the edge and both the primer and subsequent paint layers missed this edge leaving it bare.  There was also a patch of thick bubbly rust with flaking paint about 75mm square at the back near the chassis.  i didn't have time to repair it so bought the electronic system in the hope it would buy me some time. 
5 years on and I can't discount it or advocate it but I am surprised how little the rust has advanced in this time.  In my experience 12 months usually shows up significant rust advancement for unprotected metal or dodgy rust repairs. 
I have been to Fraser Island once and Stockton beach once as well as brief beach driving at Cape York and the odd boat ramp.   Some bogged up rust holes in the sliding door started to open up about a year ago which is interesting since I didn't install any pads on the sliding door (couldn't figure out how to run the wires without fouling the door).   These systems don't claim to prevent rust but rather slow it so are not a substitute for good paint coverage. 
I would suggest if you love your car it may be worth the expense as an additional protective measure ie. use as many means of protection as possible.  My van has many cavities that I can't access and the beauty of this system is that it works everywhere, if it works at all that is. 

Neil.     

Sent: Thu, 3 March, 2011 2:21:00 PM

Mark

Rust will happen, its as sure as death n taxes. i used to fit the ERP's (electronic rust preventers) at a main dealers they do slow the onset of rust in new cars but once rust has started, you may as well try stop the tide coming in with one!
i have one fitted to my 14" syncro, its still rusting, but the colored LED's look pretty!
cheers jon

Jon,

I like your galvanising idea better and hide your syncro in a garage if you live near the coast.

Cheers,

Scott

Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Rust will happen, its as sure as death n taxes. i used to fit the ERP's (electronic rust preventers) at a main dealers they do slow the onset of rust in new cars but once rust has started, you may as well try stop the tide coming in with one!
i have one fitted to my 14" syncro, its still rusting, but the colored LED's look pretty!
cheers jon

Yes Scott,  coastal living can sure wreck a lovely Syncro. I find you have to be vigilant and keep it polished and use fish oil everywhere. But of course we have so many nooks and crannies underneath that only galvanising will fix. Unfortunately the Bulli will not fit in our garage but in any event the Tiguan gets preference. Surely it should be age over beauty!!!!

Also my neighbour has just bought a 2004 hi-lux with an electronic rust gadget. He is excited about it but we shall see what happens in the future!!

Cheers, Peter from Port

Don't steel marine craft run some sort of system with sacrificial anodes.Have to agree its constant vigilance, fish oil and trying to resist the temptation of beaches.
This is the front of my new Caravelle after I polished it. I've never seen the front seams of a T3 looking so good after 20years.

Roger
Melbourne

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, neil smith <jackthebearau@yahoo.com> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 3 March, 2011, 2:08 PM

I installed an electronic rust prevention system in my T2 soon after I bought it.  The van had been resprayed professionally in 2 pak paint but I soon realised that it was a poor quality job. 
The edges of the roof gutters had been sanded back exposing bare metal on the edge and both the primer and subsequent paint layers missed this edge leaving it bare.  There was also a patch of thick bubbly rust with flaking paint about 75mm square at the back near the chassis.  i didn't have time to repair it so bought the electronic system in the hope it would buy me some time. 
5 years on and I can't discount it or advocate it but I am surprised how little the rust has advanced in this time.  In my experience 12 months usually shows up significant rust advancement for unprotected metal or dodgy rust repairs. 
I have been to Fraser Island once and Stockton beach once as well as brief beach driving at Cape York and the odd boat ramp.   Some bogged up rust holes in the sliding door started to open up about a year ago which is interesting since I didn't install any pads on the sliding door (couldn't figure out how to run the wires without fouling the door).   These systems don't claim to prevent rust but rather slow it so are not a substitute for good paint coverage. 
I would suggest if you love your car it may be worth the expense as an additional protective measure ie. use as many means of protection as possible.  My van has many cavities that I can't access and the beauty of this system is that it works everywhere, if it works at all that is. 

Neil.     

Mark

Skot,
He should have sold it as "rust free". When challenged he could have pointed out that he was not charging anything for the rust.
Roger

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 3 March, 2011, 11:46 AM

Mark,

Cheers,

Skot

Mark

> Don't steel marine craft run some sort of system with sacrificial
> anodes.

Yes, but they need to be immersed.

Also used in boat motors, water heaters and steel roofing.

Phill
So I should leave the syncro in Sydney then?

Cheers, Phill who will be from Port.

(PS. The double garage becomes ours next friday)

> Peter Coe <peter@coeconsult.com.au> wrote:
>
> Yes Scott, coastal living can sure wreck a lovely Syncro. I find you
> have
> to be vigilant and keep it polished and use fish oil everywhere. But of
> course we have so many nooks and crannies underneath that only
> galvanising
> will fix. Unfortunately the Bulli will not fit in our garage but in any
> event the Tiguan gets preference. Surely it should be age over
> beauty!!!!
>
> Also my neighbour has just bought a 2004 hi-lux with an electronic rust
> gadget. He is excited about it but we shall see what happens in the
> future!!
>
> Cheers, Peter from Port
>

That is a great look'in front you have there Roger. Very straight and shiny!

Good to see its gettin some lovin.

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:24 AM

Don't steel marine craft run some sort of system with sacrificial anodes.Have to agree its constant vigilance, fish oil and trying to resist the temptation of beaches.
This is the front of my new Caravelle after I polished it. I've never seen the front seams of a T3 looking so good after 20years.

Roger
Melbourne

Neil.     

Mark

He gave that as an option when wrecking it - Rust was $5 per kg.

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 1:01 AM

Skot,
He should have sold it as "rust free". When challenged he could have pointed out that he was not charging anything for the rust.
Roger

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 3 March, 2011, 11:46 AM

Mark,

Cheers,

Skot

Mark

Phill take the syncro to Port and stick it in the garage under the sheet you have for it - it will love the serenity up there (as they say in the Castle).

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

So I should leave the syncro in Sydney then?

Cheers, Phill who will be from Port.

(PS. The double garage becomes ours next friday)

> Peter Coe <peter@coeconsult.com.au> wrote:
>
> Yes Scott, coastal living can sure wreck a lovely Syncro. I find you
> have
> to be vigilant and keep it polished and use fish oil everywhere. But of
> course we have so many nooks and crannies underneath that only
> galvanising
> will fix. Unfortunately the Bulli will not fit in our garage but in any
> event the Tiguan gets preference. Surely it should be age over
> beauty!!!!
>
> Also my neighbour has just bought a 2004 hi-lux with an electronic rust
> gadget. He is excited about it but we shall see what happens in the
> future!!
>
> Cheers, Peter from Port
>

........and keep using genuine VW wax paint protection.

Phill

> Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> Phill take the syncro to Port and stick it in the garage under the sheet
> you have for it - it will love the serenity up there (as they say in the
> Castle).
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: plander@optusnet.com.au
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 7:14 AM
> Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention
>
>
>
> So I should leave the syncro in Sydney then?
>
> Cheers, Phill who will be from Port.
>
> (PS. The double garage becomes ours next friday)
>
> > Peter Coe <peter@coeconsult.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Yes Scott, coastal living can sure wreck a lovely Syncro. I find you
>
> > have
> > to be vigilant and keep it polished and use fish oil everywhere. But
> of
> > course we have so many nooks and crannies underneath that only
> > galvanising
> > will fix. Unfortunately the Bulli will not fit in our garage but in
> any
> > event the Tiguan gets preference. Surely it should be age over
> > beauty!!!!
> >
> > Also my neighbour has just bought a 2004 hi-lux with an electronic
> rust
> > gadget. He is excited about it but we shall see what happens in the
> > future!!
> >
> > Cheers, Peter from Port
> >
>
>
>
Yes definitely.

That's why your syncro is so shinny!

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Phill

>
> Castle).
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
>
> > have
> of
> > galvanising
> any
> > beauty!!!!
> >
> rust
> > future!!
> >
> >
>
>
>

Phill, yes, VW wax is ok, but I still think we should aircon your garage. Takes the the steam out in summer and keeps the treasure nice and warm in winter........... Hart

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 08:31:49 +1100
Subject: Re: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Electronic Rust Prevention

Phill

>
> Castle).
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
>
> > have
> of
> > galvanising
> any
> > beauty!!!!
> >
> rust
> > future!!
> >
> >
>
>
>

Roger,

I like the roo bar with fill in . On mine the bar is without the infill. However I have got the complete thing in the rear bumper.

Don't think the left wiper is original, never seen one with wind deflector before... The thing in  the w/screen on top, is that the antenna ?    Hart

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 05:24:59 -0800

Roger
Melbourne

Neil.     

Mark