For Sale: Syncro Engine - Gearbox & Front Diff

Hi,

Before I advertise these elsewhere I thought I offer these to members first.
I am selling the following:

1x 2.1MV engine, still in car, good running order, comes complete with
loom/ECU etc, 260.000 km
but may have been rebuild before

1x Gearbox (6P) approx 260.000 km good working order
1x Front Diff (6N) approx 260.000 km good working order

Please call me on 0414 992635 if interested.

Cheers

Hans
Hello  Hans
I need a front differential to replace my damaged one.
Is it still available?
My original one which has stamped onto the casting: 6N D   287 27. It has also cast into the housing : AUSTRIA 094 409 410 SDP
If it is still available O will call you.
Regards
Peter Leolkes
Adelaide

On 10/09/2015, at 2:09 PM, 'busman.syncro' busman.syncro@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi,

loom/ECU etc, 260.000 km

Cheers

Hans

Hi Peter,

Please give me a call.

Regards

Hans

On 23/09/2015 20:13, Peter Leolkes pleolkes@bigbutton.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hello Hans

I need a front differential to replace my damaged one.
Is it still available?
My original one which has stamped onto the casting: 6N D 287 27. It has also cast into the housing : AUSTRIA 094 409 410 SDP
If it is still available O will call you.
Regards
Peter Leolkes
Adelaide

On 10/09/2015, at 2:09 PM, 'busman.syncro' busman.syncro@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi,

loom/ECU etc, 260.000 km

Cheers

Hans

Im interested in the motor.
Will call.
Thanks Paul

My much loved 89 Synchro has been giving e a headache and I would appreciate any suggestions.
Yesterday I took 5 hours to do a 1 hr. 15 min trip  returning to Adelaide from Goolwa on the coast.
The engine simply cut out and then wouldn't kick in. (cranked but didn't start).
After some tests I noticed that the there was no spark coming from the coil.
However given time it eventually did start and then ran fine until the next time it cut out. 6 times in total.
I had a similar put not as frequent problem several weeks ago so I installed a new coil, plugs and leads. Obviously that wasn't the problem.
Yesterday, when I was nearly home it did it again so this time I decided to make use of my RAA membership.
After an hour the road service arrived and did some tests and then when fiddling with something at the side of the distributor - The Hall Sender I think, my dear old synchro started and I finally got home.
The RAA's advice was to take it to an auto electrician to get the ditributor checked/ reconditioned. He thought it probably is the Hall Sender.
What do you think?
Where can i buy a new complete (with hall sender) distributor . Cost? Part Number?
Where can I buy a hall sender? Cost? Part number?
Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All the best to you all for the Festive Season and thank you to those who are (unlike me) regular contributors to what I think is a very valuable community for us Synchro owners.

Peter Leolkes
'89 Synchro
Trakka part conversion
Multivan
Adelaide

Peter,

I have had similar problems and replacing the Hall sender fixed it.

; it is unlikely that you would need a new distributor.  I got one from Volkshome in Thomastown , Victoria (http://www.volkshome.com.au/).  

The original is NLA but they had already established that the T4 and Golf II sender fits, p/n 030 905 065, and does the same job.  John Goodison is an encyclopaedia of VW knowledge!!

Les

(PS – You do your credibility a lot of harm by getting the name of your Syncro wrong!!)

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 16 December 2015 08:13
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] ENGINE CUT OUT PROBLEM - Distributor?

My much loved 89 Synchro has been giving me a headache and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

Peter

I agree with Les - the Hall sender is the most likely culprit.

Have it replaced - I believe T4 hall senders will fit and work well as T3 ones are now hard to get.

Cheers,

Skot

On 16/12/2015 8:13 AM, Peter Leolkes pleolkes@bigbutton.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

My much loved 89 Synchro has been giving e a headache and I would appreciate any suggestions.
Yesterday I took 5 hours to do a 1 hr. 15 min trip returning to Adelaide from Goolwa on the coast.
The engine simply cut out and then wouldn't kick in. (cranked but didn't start).
After some tests I noticed that the there was no spark coming from the coil.
However given time it eventually did start and then ran fine until the next time it cut out. 6 times in total.
I had a similar put not as frequent problem several weeks ago so I installed a new coil, plugs and leads. Obviously that wasn't the problem.
Yesterday, when I was nearly home it did it again so this time I decided to make use of my RAA membership.
After an hour the road service arrived and did some tests and then when fiddling with something at the side of the distributor - The Hall Sender I think, my dear old synchro started and I finally got home.
The RAA's advice was to take it to an auto electrician to get the ditributor checked/ reconditioned. He thought it probably is the Hall Sender.
What do you think?
Where can i buy a new complete (with hall sender) distributor . Cost? Part Number?
Where can I buy a hall sender? Cost? Part number?
Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

All the best to you all for the Festive Season and thank you to those who are (unlike me) regular contributors to what I think is a very valuable community for us Synchro owners.

Peter Leolkes
'89 Synchro
Trakka part conversion
Multivan
Adelaide

Hi Peter,

Check the wires going to the distributor from the ECU harness. Trakka conveniently trapped these with their dodgy ac compressor mount. I had to rewire the lot as they were nearly worn through.

Cheers,

Jon.

On 16 Dec 2015 8:52 am, "'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Peter,

; it is unlikely that you would need a new distributor. I got one from Volkshome in Thomastown, Victoria (http://www.volkshome.com.au/).

The original is NLA but they had already established that the T4 and Golf II sender fits, p/n 030 905 065, and does the same job. John Goodison is an encyclopaedia of VW knowledge!!

Les

(PS – You do your credibility a lot of harm by getting the name of your Syncro wrong!!)

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]

My much loved 89 Synchro has been giving me a headache and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

For me its somewhat of a conundrum each time a member posts here about a malfunctioning distributor due to its failed hall sender. 

It's been reported here previously that it's no easy task for a DIYer to R&R the hall sender, so probably best to pay a mechanic or auto electrician for that service.

So begs the question .... what's the final parts & labour bill to R&R a 25 year worn distributor with a brand new hall sender kit compared to a parts only bill for a fully reconditioned by BOSCH complete distributor ... in effect, brand new and complete, ready to install as is.

So just for example (ignoring exchange rates and shipping charges), two possible solutions are these:

New hall sender kit $US125 ...
Goto: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1223689737929/page_608_1155/distributor-halls-unit-bosch-2.1-ltr.html
plus say $100 to R&R and test it by tradesman into your 25 year old worn distributor.

Or else:
Buy a BOSCH factory rebuilt distributor $US250 plus $US50 core charge  ...
Goto: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1223689737929/page_612_1153/distributor-bosch.html

I see a lot better value for money, convenience and quality in option two, for NOT a lot more dollars.
Cheers.
Ken

-------- Original message --------
From: "'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 16/12/2015 8:52 AM (GMT+10:00)
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] ENGINE CUT OUT PROBLEM - Distributor?

Peter,

; it is unlikely that you would need a new distributor.  I got one from Volkshome in Thomastown, Victoria (http://www.volkshome.com.au/).  

The original is NLA but they had already established that the T4 and Golf II sender fits, p/n 030 905 065, and does the same job.  John Goodison is an encyclopaedia of VW knowledge!!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

Ken,

Two or three screws, ten minutes.  The T4/GolfII is a different shape but just slots in, same socket.  Turn key, engine runs, end of problems.  Hall sender was about $130 and a new distributor was, from memory, in the high three hundreds.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 16 December 2015 18:51
To: Syncro Australia Forum

For me its somewhat of a conundrum each time a member posts here about a malfunctioning distributor due to its failed hall sender. 

It's been reported here previously that it's no easy task for a DIYer to R&R the hall sender, so probably best to pay a mechanic or auto electrician for that service.

dollars.

Cheers.

Ken

From: "'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" < Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com >

Peter,

; it is unlikely that you would need a new distributor.  I got one from Volkshome in Thomastown , Victoria (http://www.volkshome.com.au/).  

Les

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

Thank You for your advice and suggestions Les, Ken and Scott.
Greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
 Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions on how to install the new hall sender (which should arrive tomorrow). I don't have a Bentley.
After 24 years you would think that I would know how to spell the name of my vehicle. Apologies!
I feel that I am close to fixing a long running problem..
Regards
Peter Leolkes

On 16/12/2015, at 7:13 PM, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Ken,

Two or three screws, ten minutes.  The T4/GolfII is a different shape but just slots in, same socket.  Turn key, engine runs, end of problems.  Hall sender was about $130 and a new distributor was, from memory, in the high three hundreds.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]

dollars.

Cheers.

Ken

From: "'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com >

Peter,

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

Hi Peter,
A search of the web and this forum reveals the level of angst coping with hall sender R&R and correct distributor refittment.
To shortcut your research time, may I suggest a good starting point will be found with Roger's forum post #17376. This should help you decide whether or not you DIY or take it to a tradesman.
Please let us know your decision and R&R experience so as to advance our wealth of knowledge on the subject.
Cheers.
Ken

From: "Peter Leolkes pleolkes@bigbutton.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 16/12/2015 9:20 PM (GMT+10:00)
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] ENGINE CUT OUT PROBLEM - Distributor?

Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions on how to install the new hall sender (which should arrive tomorrow). I don't have a Bentley.
After 24 years you would think that I would know how to spell the name of my vehicle. Apologies!
Regards
Peter Leolkes

On 16/12/2015, at 7:13 PM, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Ken,

Les

dollars.

Cheers.

Ken

From: "'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com >

Peter,

Les

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

Thanks for that.
I have decided to take it to an auto electrician.
I picked up the part from Imparts here in Adelaide today but now i am worried that it not the right part as it looks very different to the hall sender/senser that is in the van.
I have attached photos .
In the box in which it came it had the part numbers that Les mentioned and I quoted.
That is 030 905 065 and Bosch 1 237 031 296.
Can someone confirm that the  hall sender in thephoto can replace the one in the van?
Again
Thanks for any assistance
Regards
Peter Leolkes

On 17/12/2015, at 11:07 AM, unclekenz unclekenz@hotmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Peter,

A search of the web and this forum reveals the level of angst coping with hall sender R&R and correct distributor refittment.
To shortcut your research time, may I suggest a good starting point will be found with Roger's forum post #17376. This should help you decide whether or not you DIY or take it to a tradesman.
Please let us know your decision and R&R experience so as to advance our wealth of knowledge on the subject.
Cheers.
Ken

From: "Peter Leolkes pleolkes@bigbutton.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 16/12/2015 9:20 PM (GMT+10:00)
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] ENGINE CUT OUT PROBLEM - Distributor?

Regards
Peter Leolkes

Ken,

Les

dollars.

Cheers.

Ken

Peter,

Les

Peter Leolkes

'89 Synchro

Trakka part conversion

Multivan

Adelaide

Peter,

That is the correct part (I kept my box!)  It is an improved and simplified design compared with the original part.  We are fortunate that it is backwards compatible with the MV engine sender.

Les

Sent: 17 December 2015 16:18
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] ENGINE CUT OUT PROBLEM - Distributor? [2 Attachments]

I picked up the part from Imparts here in Adelaide today but now i am worried that it not the right part as it looks very different to the hall sender/senser that is in the van.

Regards

Peter Leolkes

Thanks Les. That's reassuring
Regards
Peter
On 18/12/2015, at 4:15 PM, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Peter,

That is the correct part (I kept my box!)  It is an improved and simplified design compared with the original part.  We are fortunate that it is backwards compatible with the MV engine sender.

Les

Sent: 17 December 2015 16:18
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] ENGINE CUT OUT PROBLEM - Distributor? [2 Attachments]

Regards

Peter Leolkes