Fuel filter?

The van mysteriously ground to a halt yesterday. I disconnected the fuel filter and blew it out, and disconnected another filter... a carbon one? Carbon granules trickled out of the base of the filter (through the inlet/outlet pipe) when I shook it. Should this happen?

I also found that the piece of moulded black plastic on the side of the distributor body, which holds three tiny wires, was broken and so hanging off a bit (the wires still connected) I put it back in place as best as I could and the van drives fine now.

Questions.... does the fuel filter need changing often... its impossible to see how dirty it is? Does the carbon filter need changing?
Where can a get a black plastic 'thingy' for the distributor body?
And if I put new gowesty springs and OME shocks on the van (the shocks have to be replaced anyway) do I need to replace the CV"s? Its a heavy camper.

Thanks to all

Nick
It could be last 10+ yrs for the original vw filter. Most of the problem come from the hose fuel line, not from the filter or the fuel. The hose degrades by time and can clod the filter. Check them carefully.

Sent from Hanniboon BlackBerry® by dtac.

Sender: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:58:05 -0000
To: <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fuel filter?

The van mysteriously ground to a halt yesterday. I disconnected the fuel filter and blew it out, and disconnected another filter... a carbon one? Carbon granules trickled out of the base of the filter (through the inlet/outlet pipe) when I shook it. Should this happen?

I also found that the piece of moulded black plastic on the side of the distributor body, which holds three tiny wires, was broken and so hanging off a bit (the wires still connected) I put it back in place as best as I could and the van drives fine now.

Questions.... does the fuel filter need changing often... its impossible to see how dirty it is? Does the carbon filter need changing?
And if I put new gowesty springs and OME shocks on the van (the shocks have to be replaced anyway) do I need to replace the CV"s? Its a heavy camper.

Thanks to all

Nick

Nick,  my distributor connector had fallen off too. Be very careful with those little wires, that you dont brake them. Check why that connector broke in the first place.

I cleaned the surfaces with aceton and glued the connector with JB Weld, good as new.

Don't bother about the carbon filter, It stores hydrocarbons , while the vehicle is stationary  , which then get sucked out once the engine is running. You can block the ends of the

hoses. If you want to instal a new filter, they re available from memory at Van Cafe. If you haven't got a Bentlley Repair Manuel, look out for one.

Hartmut

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 03:22:10 +0000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fuel filter?

It could be last 10+ yrs for the original vw filter. Most of the problem come from the hose fuel line, not from the filter or the fuel. The hose degrades by time and can clod the filter. Check them carefully.

Thanks to all

Nick

thanks for the help... will do.

--- On Thu, 17/2/11, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fuel filter?
To: "Hartmut Kiehn" <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Received: Thursday, 17 February, 2011, 4:21 AM

Nick,  my distributor connector had fallen off too. Be very careful with those little wires, that you dont brake them. Check why that connector broke in the first place.

I cleaned the surfaces with aceton and glued the connector with JB Weld, good as new.

Don't bother about the carbon filter, It stores hydrocarbons , while the vehicle is stationary  , which then get sucked out once the engine is running. You can block the ends of the

hoses. If you want to instal a new filter, they re available from memory at Van Cafe. If you haven't got a Bentlley Repair Manuel, look out for one.

Hartmut

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 03:22:10 +0000

Thanks to all

Nick

> Don't bother about the carbon filter, It stores hydrocarbons , while the
> vehicle is stationary , which then get sucked out once the engine is
> running. You can block the ends of the hoses.

Don't block the hoses as the charcoal cannister is the breather for the fuel tank.
Thanks Phill, thanks for that.  I didn't want to leave the ends open and have them connected with a plastic connector, is that alright ? Ha

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:45:56 +1100
Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fuel filter?

> Don't bother about the carbon filter, It stores hydrocarbons , while the
> vehicle is stationary , which then get sucked out once the engine is
> running. You can block the ends of the hoses.

Don't block the hoses as the charcoal cannister is the breather for the fuel tank.

I just leave them connected as they left the factory.

You can use a cannister from any car that will fit.

Phill

> Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:
>
>
> Thanks Phill, thanks for that. I didn't want to leave the ends open and
> have them connected with a plastic connector, is that alright ? Ha
>
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: plander@optusnet.com.au
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 07:45:56 +1100
> Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fuel filter?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > Don't bother about the carbon filter, It stores hydrocarbons , while
> the
> > vehicle is stationary , which then get sucked out once the engine is
> > running. You can block the ends of the hoses.
>
> Don't block the hoses as the charcoal cannister is the breather for the
> fuel tank.
>
>
>
I wouldn't go over 5 years without removing the fuel filter and checking it.
 ( I empty them out backwards on a clean dish ..and look for rust, dirt, water, and tiny metal particles and blow through it to see how restricted it is .  Given the hassle it is to mess with...the practical thing to do is put a new on one. I never go on a trip without a fresh fuel filter in my parts stash )

the charcoal should not fall out of the charcoal canister. Sounds like you need a good used one.

the only right way to fix the thingey on the side of the distributor ..beside glue that plastic part back in place, is replace the Hall Sender unit, I believe.

it's common from them to break like that.
at least glue the thing back to the side of the dist.

just by adding slightly taller springs I think you can keep stock CV joints just fine.

Scott
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:22 PM

Thanks to all

Nick

Great news, as by now most of them would possibly in disrepair or otherwise not functioning properly.  Ha

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:44:02 +1100

Phill

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> the
>
> fuel tank.
>
>
>

Scott,  just be sure it won't come off again , I fixed the hall sender connector by tying it with a zip tie 'round the distributor........Hartis

Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:20:33 -0800

I wouldn't go over 5 years without removing the fuel filter and checking it.
 ( I empty them out backwards on a clean dish ..and look for rust, dirt, water, and tiny metal particles and blow through it to see how restricted it is .  Given the hassle it is to mess with...the practical thing to do is put a new on one. I never go on a trip without a fresh fuel filter in my parts stash )

the charcoal should not fall out of the charcoal canister. Sounds like you need a good used one.

the only right way to fix the thingey on the side of the distributor ..beside glue that plastic part back in place, is replace the Hall Sender unit, I believe.

it's common from them to break like that.
at least glue the thing back to the side of the dist.

just by adding slightly taller springs I think you can keep stock CV joints just fine.

Scott
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:22 PM

Thanks to all

Nick

I've seen only one evap canister ever fail.  A vanagon one too.
otherwise .....as far as  I know. they are just a can with charcoal in them, with little to go wrong.
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:58 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fuel filter?

Great news, as by now most of them would possibly in disrepair or otherwise not functioning properly.  Ha

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:44:02 +1100

Phill

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> the
>
> fuel tank.
>
>
>