Help getting gearbox gaskets

Hi All,

Trying to stop or at least slow the amount of gearbox oil I am dripping.  Hoping someone can help tell me the part numbers and easiest place (hopefully australia - just kampers?  tooleys?) where I can get these gaskets for my gearbox.  I've uploaded the photos into 'Sam Random Photos' album.  I think these are the direct links

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Syncro_T3_Australia/photos/albums/892758025/lightbox/868537347?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Syncro_T3_Australia/photos/albums/892758025/lightbox/1548160817?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL

Will my gearbox need to come out, or just the tail shaft, to replace these gaskets?  I'm also after an O ring for the speedo cable in the front diff.

Lastly I uploaded some early photos to show off my new paint job so you can see the black white colour scheme I went with.  Still glamour photography shoot to come, but I haven't even had time to give her a polish yet.

Many thanks, Sam

The nose cone has no gasket, it's just two flat faces and a good sealer (eg Permatex grey)

Need to drop the tail shaft out then take if off the front. Would need to remove the rails underneath also.

If you take it off, you will need to check the faces are flat and no pitting in the faces, and confirm you torque it up evenly.

You will drop some oil out when you take it off also, so make sure you can get your filler pug out first.

I have not removed the cover for the reverse switch, but would be guessing it's the same (no gasket). Not sure on the speedo oring sorry.

Nice pictures of the bus, looks like a lot of work has been done to it! What's under the front? Extended rails to hold a spare?

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <me@...> wrote :

Hi All,

Trying to stop or at least slow the amount of gearbox oil I am dripping.  Hoping someone can help tell me the part numbers and easiest place (hopefully australia - just kampers?  tooleys?) where I can get these gaskets for my gearbox.  I've uploaded the photos into 'Sam Random Photos' album.  I think these are the direct links

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Syncro_T3_Australia/photos/albums/892758025/lightbox/868537347?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Syncro_T3_Australia/photos/albums/892758025/lightbox/1548160817?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL

Will my gearbox need to come out, or just the tail shaft, to replace these gaskets?  I'm also after an O ring for the speedo cable in the front diff.

Lastly I uploaded some early photos to show off my new paint job so you can see the black white colour scheme I went with.  Still glamour photography shoot to come, but I haven't even had time to give her a polish yet.

Many thanks, Sam

That's a big help thanks Richard.  Under the front is a van-cafe oversize spare wheel carrier, the spare wheel was removed at the time of the photo.
Hi Sam, your van looks great, so jealous of that westy top. I'm guessing you bought one of Fabian's decouplers? If so it would have come with a gasket. I'm guessing he used the wrong material as my one leaked too. Richard is right re good sealant no gasket. If you are doing the job on the ground try jacking up the back only and you won't loose any oil if you get enough angle on it. Gregor 
Ps tell us about those great windows. 

Sent from Greg's iPhone

On 13 Sep 2016, at 1:22 AM, me@samarnold.org [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

That's a big help thanks Richard.  Under the front is a van-cafe oversize spare wheel carrier, the spare wheel was removed at the time of the photo.

As you can see from that pic nose cone gasket does not normally exist. Gregor 

Sent from Greg's iPhone

On 13 Sep 2016, at 10:51 AM, manxdune@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Sam nice paint job, can you tell me about your rims, they look very nice, What are they off? Greg N
Thanks everyone for your comments.  Still a question, the cover for the reverse switch, is this the gasket for it?  Mine appears to have a really dodgy gasket hanging out badly you can see in the photo covered in oil.

091-301-278B | Weddle Industries | Extreme Duty | Racing Transxles, Gears, Gearboxes, Clutches

Gregor the sliding windows are custom ($) made by PH Jennings http://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/wetherill-park/p-h-jennings-heavy-machinery-glass-pty-ltd-12082255-listing.html To Australian standards and passed engineers certificate.  Very nice to have lots of sliding windows helps with temperature camping on a hot day.

Greg N the wheels are a factory option on a Passat, not exactly sure what years.  To get them to fit requires custom bolt on wheel adapters, also engineer approved, and leaves you with an offset not everyone would approve of.  But I've driven on them for many many years now, fingers crossed more years to come.
 They did require me to cut the wheel well like a 16 inch syncro for clearance on BFG 215-70-16 tyres, where with a better offset I may not have had to do that for that size tyre is my understanding.

Thanks again Sam

Not sure on that gasket Sam. Was interesting to see the whole kit of gaskets. Unless the seals are very thin, they are not on mine! Just a sealant.

Bit harder to tell on the reverse switch, but looks like just sealant there also.

Richard

Hi Sam.

Are you using thin synthetic oil? Mine leaked like a sieve until I replaced the thin oil with the factory spec. heavyweight mineral oil.

Those old black neoprene oil seals were not designed for synthetics.

Cheers, Roger.

To add to the discussion. The gearbox guru, Rudi Purkhart in Bribie Island strongly recommends Red Line Shockproof Synthetic gear oil from the USA when he rebuilds a box. Its blue in colour which helps with any leak detection. I have had my reconditioned box in for a while now and there is not a single leak anywhere. He puts in all new seals of course. Rudi imports the oil himself from the USA. It’s not cheap but he is a strong advocate for it.

Gearbox oil.jpg

Hey as I've mentioned before, after reading various discussions on the samba, I now use swepco 201 (mineral).  I've also read that some believe that Red Line isn't as good as it used to be.  But well beyond my expertise, I encourage people to search for some of the very technical discussions on thesamba and see what they make of it.

Waiting to hear back from weddle industries now.  Thanks all