Ignition Switch - Help

My ignition switch has karked it.  Bought a new one - list price $90+ !!! - and find that it has an extra terminal on it, marked 'S'

Does anyone have any idea what it is for?  Bentleys is supremely unhelpful.  According to Bentleys, it goes to current track 133.  Turn to current track 133 and there is nothing on it.

Another question: there is a narrow terminal marked 'P' on the existing and the new switch.  According to Bentleys, it just doesn't connect to anything.  Does anyone know what it is?

How I wish for the old wiring diagrams where every terminal and every wire was shown.  It really worries me when a wire exists on the vehicle but does not exist on the whiz bang Bentleys diagram.  The alternator signal wire is a case in point.

Les

Forgot to add that Bentleys refers to the extra terminal as 'SU'

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 11:00 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Ignition Switch - Help

My ignition switch has karked it.  Bought a new one - list price $90+ !!! - and find that it has an extra terminal on it, marked 'S'

Does anyone have any idea what it is for?  Bentleys is supremely unhelpful.  According to Bentleys, it goes to current track 133.  Turn to current track 133 and there is nothing on it.

Another question: there is a narrow terminal marked 'P' on the existing and the new switch.  According to Bentleys, it just doesn't connect to anything.  Does anyone know what it is?

How I wish for the old wiring diagrams where every terminal and every wire was shown.  It really worries me when a wire exists on the vehicle but does not exist on the whiz bang Bentleys diagram.  The alternator signal wire is a case in point.

Les

OK, ignore the foregoing.

I find that there are no wires in the commensurate holes in the socket anyway.

But, it gets worse. 

The switch is OK.  It is the solenoid that is not pulling in.  In a diff locked Syncro, getting at the starter is in the same category as a giraffe with a sore throat.  I will keep you posted.

Les

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> My ignition switch has karked it. Bought a new one - list price $90+
> !!! - and find that it has an extra terminal on it, marked 'S'
>
> Does anyone have any idea what it is for? Bentleys is supremely
> unhelpful. According to Bentleys, it goes to current track 133. Turn
> to current track 133 and there is nothing on it.
>
> Another question: there is a narrow terminal marked 'P' on the existing
> and the new switch. According to Bentleys, it just doesn't connect to
> anything. Does anyone know what it is?
>
> How I wish for the old wiring diagrams where every terminal and every
> wire was shown. It really worries me when a wire exists on the vehicle
> but does not exist on the whiz bang Bentleys diagram. The alternator
> signal wire is a case in point.
>
> Les

Les,
Remember that you are not looking at the correct diagram for your vehicle. The workshop manual (Bentley) is for the American specification Vanagon. It doesn't have anything on RHD either.

The replacement switch is a multi use switch for Type 2 74-92, Golfs, Passats etc so it has extra terminals on it for different markets. The S could be for headlight reminder or something.

What's the problem with the alternator signal wire diagram?

Keep your old switch in the glove box for a spare as they do fail.

http://www.thebusstop.com.au/view/212/

http://www.thebusstop.com.au/products/full/212.jpg

Phill
Hi Les

S normally keeps radio on until you take the key out (but not on T3)

Alf

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 10:30:58 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Ignition Switch - Help

How I wish for the old wiring diagrams where every terminal and every wire was shown.  It really worries me when a wire exists on the vehicle but does not exist on the whiz bang Bentleys diagram.  The alternator signal wire is a case in point..

Les

Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.

Alf,

I am learning more about the whole wiring thing as I go along.  I found that neither of the two narrow terminals have any wiring in the matching sockets, so it looks like their functions are on other models only, as you suggest.

Phill,

I was unaware that there might be differences in the RH drive Syncros.  Is there any such thing as a diagram for them?  The wiring that I was referring to is at the battery positive terminal.  Bentleys shows the starter cable and one 6mm.  Mine has an additional 6mm on it but this might have been part of the Trakka wiring.

Everyone,

What is the best way to clean corrosion off wiring terminals?  There is something in the back of my mind but I can't drag it up.

Les

Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Ignition Switch - Help

Hi Les

Alf

Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look.

> I was unaware that there might be differences in the RH drive Syncros.
> Is there any such thing as a diagram for them?

Yes, they are in those Blue/Orange genuine VW manuals.
Some of the stuff would be in the Haynes or Peter Russek manuals.

The wiring that I was
> referring to is at the battery positive terminal. Bentleys shows the
> starter cable and one 6mm. Mine has an additional 6mm on it but this
> might have been part of the Trakka wiring.
>

Sounds like Trakka.

> Everyone,
>
> What is the best way to clean corrosion off wiring terminals? There is
> something in the back of my mind but I can't drag it up.
>
> Les
>
What terminals do you want to clean?
Accessable = emery, steel wool, scotchbrite, wire brush, Brasso, Ajax
Inaccessable = spray contact cleaner

Phill
Les

The switch suits other vw/audi, i have fitted one to my car so the radio works whit out having the ignition on,then goes off when key is removed.

Alf

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, 24 February, 2009 4:56:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Ignition Switch - Help

Alf,

I am learning more about the whole wiring thing as I go along.  I found that neither of the two narrow terminals have any wiring in the matching sockets, so it looks like their functions are on other models only, as you suggest.

Phill,

I was unaware that there might be differences in the RH drive Syncros.  Is there any such thing as a diagram for them?  The wiring that I was referring to is at the battery positive terminal.  Bentleys shows the starter cable and one 6mm.  Mine has an additional 6mm on it but this might have been part of the Trakka wiring.

Everyone,

What is the best way to clean corrosion off wiring terminals?  There is something in the back of my mind but I can't drag it up.

Les

Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Ignition Switch - Help

Hi Les

Alf