Lost rear wheels drive

Hi,

I am looking for views on whats wrong with my 89 Syncro, Rear diff Lock & de-coupler. I drive around town in rear wheel drive.

When I took off today there was a bang and I lost rear wheel drive. I can still depress the clutch and select all gears but when I release the clutch there is no forward or rear motion.

However when I couple the front diff I move forward. Obviously something has gone wrong with rear diff but it is beyond my knowledge.

All thoughts welcome.

Also do you think its OK to drive to the repair shop in front wheel drive only with god knows what going on in the rear.

Cheers

Peter
If you can't see anything obvious with drive shafts and hubs try draining the gearbox fluid and checking for debris. It sounds very crown wheel and pinion-ish to me. Greg E

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 30 March 2012 12:03 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive

Hi,

I am looking for views on whats wrong with my 89 Syncro, Rear diff Lock & de-coupler. I drive around town in rear wheel drive.

When I took off today there was a bang and I lost rear wheel drive. I can still depress the clutch and select all gears but when I release the clutch there is no forward or rear motion.

However when I couple the front diff I move forward. Obviously something has gone wrong with rear diff but it is beyond my knowledge.

All thoughts welcome.

Also do you think its OK to drive to the repair shop in front wheel drive only with god knows what going on in the rear.

Cheers

Peter

I don't think you should drive it either just in case!

Gary

On 30/03/2012, at 12:15 PM, greg esposito wrote:

If you can't see anything obvious with drive shafts and hubs try draining the gearbox fluid and checking for debris. It sounds very crown wheel and pinion-ish to me. Greg E

Hi,

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

This could have several sources but I am reluctant to recommend any diagnostics to you if you are not mechanically skilled.  Don’t drive it for the moment until we gather more information.  Let’s start with where you are located.  (For some reason unknown, I don’t have those details on file.)

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of peter_kolevas
Sent: 30 March 2012 12:04

Hi,

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

That was a bit lacking in detail.  You never let just any mechanic monkey around with a Syncro gearbox; it needs to go to someone with known expertise, which is why I asked where you are located.  There are only a few reliable Syncro gearbox people around Australia.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Les Harris
Sent: 30 March 2012 12:33
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive

Peter,

This could have several sources but I am reluctant to recommend any diagnostics to you if you are not mechanically skilled.  Don’t drive it for the moment until we gather more information.  Let’s start with where you are located.  (For some reason unknown, I don’t have those details on file.)

Les

__

If there was no severe noise with motion I would say you have a broken CV on the rear axle somewhere - although that would tend to make noise too. Otherwise I would also suggest its in your rear diff.

One of my CV's "broke" because the bolts worked loose in the outer drivers side hub. This was noisy though as the R/H side driveshaft was flopping around in the housing.

What noises does yours now make when driving and where is the source of the noise?

Skot

On 30/03/2012 12:15 PM, greg esposito wrote:

Hi,

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Peter

If you have a broken cv or similar you will be able to lock the rear diff and get drive. Greg E

Sent: Friday, 30 March 2012 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive

If there was no severe noise with motion I would say you have a broken CV on the rear axle somewhere - although that would tend to make noise too. Otherwise I would also suggest its in your rear diff.

One of my CV's "broke" because the bolts worked loose in the outer drivers side hub. This was noisy though as the R/H side driveshaft was flopping around in the housing.

What noises does yours now make when driving and where is the source of the noise?

Skot

On 30/03/2012 12:15 PM, greg esposito wrote:

Hi,

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Peter

Skot,

I am soft pedalling on the possible causes until we get a bit more information from Peter.   As you say, it could be a CV.  It could also be a spider gear.  Whatever it is, Peter should not drive it until more is known.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mr Scott Pitcher
Sent: 30 March 2012 13:19

Skot

Hi Peter,
You may as well check the following ...
Loss of rear wheel drive MAY be due to a broken rear CV.
To check rear CVs functionality, first disengage the decoupler and double check that it IS decoupled.
On a level surface, safely double jack stand the rear of the van so both wheels can rotate.
Move ignition key to the ON position so the difflock panel light can turn on. Pull dash knob for rear difflock. With NO motor, manually turn either rear wheel slowly until the difflock panel light comes on i.e., the difflock has engaged. Now manually turn either rear wheel ... both wheels SHOULD rotate equally together, turning in the same direction. If one wheel fails to rotate equally together, suspect a broken CV on that axle. If both wheels rotate equally together, suspect a broken transaxle component/s.
Finally, be sure to disengage the rear difflock. Push in the dash knob, rotate a rear wheel until the light goes out. If the light doesn't go out, your vacuum system is low. Run the motor to raise the vacuum, the difflock will then disengage and the panel light will turn off. All too easy.
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:15:36 -0700

Hi,

All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Ken (and everybody else),

It's been a bit wet on the Gold Coast this afternoon and have I only managed to get out now and undertake the check as you described.

After safely raising the rear of the car I engaged the diff-lock and turned the right rear wheel, the drive-shaft didn't move; when I rotated the left rear wheel both drive-shafts turned but right rear wheel was stationary. So I have a broken right rear outer CV.

Although I am a regular reader of this group this Is the first time I have actually sort information and I appreciate all your input. fantastic.

So now have some thing to do on the weekend.

Cheers

Peter

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Peter,You may as well check the following ...Loss of rear wheel drive MAY be due to a broken rear CV.To check rear CVs functionality, first disengage the decoupler and double check that it IS decoupled.On a level surface, safely double jack stand the rear of the van so both wheels can rotate.Move ignition key to the ON position so the difflock panel light can turn on. Pull dash knob for rear difflock. With NO motor, manually turn either rear wheel slowly until the difflock panel light comes on i.e., the difflock has engaged. Now manually turn either rear wheel ... both wheels SHOULD rotate equally together, turning in the same direction. If one wheel fails to rotate equally together, suspect a broken CV on that axle. If both wheels rotate equally together, suspect a broken transaxle component/s.Finally, be sure to disengage the rear difflock. Push in the dash knob, rotate a rear wheel until the light goes out. If the light doesn't go out, your vacuum system is low. Run the motor to raise the vacuum, the difflock will then disengage and the panel light will turn off. All too easy.Cheers.Ken
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: gregespo73@...
> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:15:36 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> If you can't see anything obvious with drive shafts and hubs try draining the gearbox fluid and checking for debris. It sounds very crown wheel and pinion-ish to me. Greg E
> From: peter_kolevas <peter.kolevas@...>
> Sent: Friday, 30 March 2012 12:03 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
>
>
> I am looking for views on whats wrong with my 89 Syncro, Rear diff Lock & de-coupler. I drive around town in rear wheel drive.
>
>
>
> When I took off today there was a bang and I lost rear wheel drive. I can still depress the clutch and select all gears but when I release the clutch there is no forward or rear motion.
>
>
>
> However when I couple the front diff I move forward. Obviously something has gone wrong with rear diff but it is beyond my knowledge.
>
>
>
> All thoughts welcome.
>
>
>
> Also do you think its OK to drive to the repair shop in front wheel drive only with god knows what going on in the rear.
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
>
>
> Peter
>
Hi Peter,
Looks like your solution is the cheaper and easier one after all. Buy yourself a lottery ticket!
Should you need to drive the syncro somewhere for repairs, remove the rear axle that has the broken CV, temporarily block-up/cover the holes where the CVs attach, engage the decoupler and you are on your way. This scenario/test regime demonstrates yet another good reason for fitting a decoupler.
Good luck. Cheers.
Ken

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 06:24:31 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Lost rear wheels drive

Hi Ken (and everybody else),

It's been a bit wet on the Gold Coast this afternoon and have I only managed to get out now and undertake the check as you described.

After safely raising the rear of the car I engaged the diff-lock and turned the right rear wheel, the drive-shaft didn't move; when I rotated the left rear wheel both drive-shafts turned but right rear wheel was stationary. So I have a broken right rear outer CV.

Although I am a regular reader of this group this Is the first time I have actually sort information and I appreciate all your input. fantastic.

So now have some thing to do on the weekend.

Cheers

Peter

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Peter,You may as well check the following ...Loss of rear wheel drive MAY be due to a broken rear CV.To check rear CVs functionality, first disengage the decoupler and double check that it IS decoupled.On a level surface, safely double jack stand the rear of the van so both wheels can rotate.Move ignition key to the ON position so the difflock panel light can turn on. Pull dash knob for rear difflock. With NO motor, manually turn either rear wheel slowly until the difflock panel light comes on i.e., the difflock has engaged. Now manually turn either rear wheel ... both wheels SHOULD rotate equally together, turning in the same direction. If one wheel fails to rotate equally together, suspect a broken CV on that axle. If both wheels rotate equally together, suspect a broken transaxle component/s.Finally, be sure to disengage the rear difflock. Push in the dash knob, rotate a rear wheel until the light goes out. If the light doesn't go out, your vacuum system is low. Run the motor to raise the vacuum, the difflock will then disengage and the panel light will turn off. All too easy.Cheers.Ken
>
>
> From: gregespo73@...
> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:15:36 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> If you can't see anything obvious with drive shafts and hubs try draining the gearbox fluid and checking for debris. It sounds very crown wheel and pinion-ish to me. Greg E
> From: peter_kolevas <peter.kolevas@...>
> Sent: Friday, 30 March 2012 12:03 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Lost rear wheels drive
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
>
>
> I am looking for views on whats wrong with my 89 Syncro, Rear diff Lock & de-coupler. I drive around town in rear wheel drive.
>
>
>
> When I took off today there was a bang and I lost rear wheel drive. I can still depress the clutch and select all gears but when I release the clutch there is no forward or rear motion.
>
>
>
> However when I couple the front diff I move forward. Obviously something has gone wrong with rear diff but it is beyond my knowledge.
>
>
>
> All thoughts welcome.
>
>
>
> Also do you think its OK to drive to the repair shop in front wheel drive only with god knows what going on in the rear.
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
>
>
> Peter
>

Hello,

Can anyone help me with ideas about companies best for Comprehensive insurance on my T3 Campervan in NSW?

Thanks,

Leighton

Try CIL Insurance.

Costs around $500.00P.A for $20K cover plus $1800 for annexes and $1500 for mobile phones, tele, ipods etc. Plus they include windscreen cover.

Bloody awesome.

Equivalent cover with NRMA would be around $1500.00 P.A.

1800 112 481.

You must have a permanent sink and bed set up to qualify. Cookers are no longer required.

Cheers,

Skot

On 30/03/2012 7:44 PM, Leighton Smith wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone help me with ideas about companies best for Comprehensive insurance on my T3 Campervan in NSW?

Thanks,

Leighton

Thanks Scott,

I will give them a call.

Leighton

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:13:29 +1100
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Insurance

Try CIL Insurance.

Costs around $500.00P.A for $20K cover plus $1800 for annexes and $1500 for mobile phones, tele, ipods etc. Plus they include windscreen cover.

Bloody awesome.

1800 112 481.

You must have a permanent sink and bed set up to qualify. Cookers are no longer required.

Cheers,

Skot

Hello,

Thanks,

Leighton

Hi Leighton,

They also have some roadside assist coverage (car hire etc) and insure for agreed value. Yes, very good deal.

Francesca.

On 30 March 2012 20:27, Leighton Smith <smith_leighton@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Scott,

I will give them a call.

Leighton

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 20:13:29 +1100
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Insurance

Try CIL Insurance.

Bloody awesome.

1800 112 481.

Cheers,

Skot

Hello,

Thanks,

Leighton