Mud flaps

Hi all,

I'm starting to prepare the Syncro for a trip soon, and am going through cleaning everything up and renewing the rust protection underneath.

It's also a good time to look at my mud flaps (factory Syncro ones) which are cracked and falling apart.

First question, do any of you have a nice fix for the gap between the little flares on the wheel arch and the mud flaps? The body work there cops a pounding off road. I have looked at the SA mud flaps, but not sure they are worth converting to.

Secondly, how do you remove the mud flaps? (Particularly the front ones). Do the upper pins in the body just pull away? If so, am I likely to damage them if I pull them off? If I am likely to damage them, I might just leave them on.

I want to try and repair mine for now, don't particularly want to buy new ones at the moment.

Also has anyone put any additional rubber flaps in the wheel arches to protect everything better? Looks like a couple of convenient places to add something, but be nice to see what others have done.

Richard

SA mudflaps are not worth getting.
Hi Richard,
Please see attached collection of past forum posts on the repair of genuine OEM syncro mudflaps. Seems that  replacement non OEM mudflaps are of lesser quality by comparison.

If you go down the repair option route as per info in the attachment, please do us all a favour and report back here as to your success/findings. Thank you.
Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 06:35:33 -0700
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Mud flaps

Hi all,
I'm starting to prepare the Syncro for a trip soon, and am going through cleaning everything up and renewing the rust protection underneath.
It's also a good time to look at my mud flaps (factory Syncro ones) which are cracked and falling apart.
First question, do any of you have a nice fix for the gap between the little flares on the wheel arch and the mud flaps? The body work there cops a pounding off road. I have looked at the SA mud flaps, but not sure they are worth converting to.
Secondly, how do you remove the mud flaps? (Particularly the front ones). Do the upper pins in the body just pull away? If so, am I likely to damage them if I pull them off? If I am likely to damage them, I might just leave them on.
I want to try and repair mine for now, don't particularly want to buy new ones at the moment.

Also has anyone put any additional rubber flaps in the wheel arches to protect everything better? Looks like a couple of convenient places to add something, but be nice to see what others have done.

Richard

Hi Richard, for what it's worth,... I repaired mine approx 12 yrs ago, sanding in a V joint from both sides and using  SIKA AUSTRALIA.  SIKAFLEX 291 marine. Look it up on their website. Totally flexible and virtually indestructible. Easy fix as long as you stick with a quality product like SIKA.
Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 9 Jul 2015, at 11:35 pm, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Richard

Richard,

The pegs are just push-in.  The bolts under the vehicle do the securing and the pegs do the locating.

Most aftermarket mud flaps are just poor plastic mouldings and aren’t worth using. 

Further than that, we would need some pics of what it is that you want to repair.

Note Ken’s compilation – it is all been there, done that information.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 10 July 2015 09:22
To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Mud flaps [1 Attachment]

If you go down the repair option route as per info in the attachment, please do us all a favour and report back here as to your success/findings. Thank you.

Cheers.

Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 06:35:33 -0700
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Mud flaps
Hi all,
Richard

Hi Richard,

I glued on a thin sheet of flexible rubber between the syncro spats and the front and rear mud flappers.

It works well and my syncro has not sustained any chip damage there since the installation.

My tyres are 235 x 75 x 15 and despite some mud still getting on the sides I have no real damage.

See photo:

Cheers,

Skot

On 9/07/2015 11:35 PM, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi all,

Richard

Hey,

Thanks all for the details. all sounds great. I never thought of Sika, yes it's a good product, and I think this will be the way to go. Yes it is mainly my front ones cracked, the previous owner had riveted some hard rubber over the crack to support it and seems to have lasted well, but does not look the nicest. The other side is also cracking now. Skot, I like the idea also of the thin rubber between them, sounds like a good idea while I'm at it.

Pulling the front ones off has me a little worried, they are on very tight. Just don't want to damage anything trying to remove them.

I'll try and get some pictures of the job as it progresses. The more I look at it underneath, keeping the stock mud flaps is the best option. I will add some additional panelling underneath to stop mud getting in some areas I have noticed on previous trips.

Hopefully it can also server to protect the new tank (not fitted yet, but hope to have this in for the trip also)

Much appreciated

Richard