narrow tyres

What is the principle behind the narrow tyers.
They obviously have less foot print more PSI but I would have thought the heavy syncro needs some width for soft ground.
not sure if the link will work but there almost bike tyre size.
possibly less stress on the drive train??

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2278297/1986-volkswagen-vanagon#22782970021

Peter,

There is a lot of very skewed thinking about tyres, with many thinking that tractor tyres are the only way to go. Anyone who follows the World Rally Championship will note that all cars run surprisingly narrow tyres but nonetheless drive over extremely poor surfaces at speeds that appear to defy physics.   Yes, width is important, which is why airing down will get a heavy Syncro through extremely soft sand.  Like so many other things, it comes down to horses hot courses

Les.

 


From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anette
Sent: 10 May 2012 23:18
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] narrow tyres

 

 

What is the principle behind the narrow tyers.
They obviously have less foot print more PSI but I would have thought the heavy syncro needs some width for soft ground.
not sure if the link will work but there almost bike tyre size.
possibly less stress on the drive train??

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2278297/1986-volkswagen-vanagon#22782970021

Heh Pete,
You know that bloke who lives on Bribie, the one who knows nothing about syncro drivetrains? Don't think he runs wide tyres. Ask him ok.
Cheers.
Ken


To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
From: peterw1000@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:18:13 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] narrow tyres

 
What is the principle behind the narrow tyers.
They obviously have less foot print more PSI but I would have thought the heavy syncro needs some width for soft ground.
not sure if the link will work but there almost bike tyre size.
possibly less stress on the drive train??

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2278297/1986-volkswagen-vanagon#22782970021


> Anette <peterw1000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What is the principle behind the narrow tyers.

Narrower is better for mud as it cuts through to a hard surface.

Wider is better for sand as it floats on the surface.

Wider is better for hard surfaces as there is more contact area.

Phill
Phil has nailed it correctly. Remember reading that the high ground clearance and almost bicycled tyred Model T Fords used to go almost anywhere because their narrow tyres would cut through the mud of the mainly unmade roads of the time to the rock below. Of course problems arise when there is nothing hard below.
If you doubt what Les has to say about sand just take your Syncro down to some with a bit of an incline and 40 psi in your tyres. When you can't get out try 26 and if still in trouble 16. After that you have the problem of tyres coming off and/or sand getting in. between the bead and rim. Obviously you also need to carry a pump/compressor to remedy things when you get back to terra firma. I found out the hard way when I was young and foolish but now I'm no longer young.
Cheers
Roger
Melbourne 

--- On Fri, 11/5/12, plander@optusnet.com.au <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

From: plander@optusnet.com.au <plander@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] narrow tyres
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Friday, 11 May, 2012, 4:20 AM

 


> Anette <peterw1000@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What is the principle behind the narrow tyers.

Narrower is better for mud as it cuts through to a hard surface.

Wider is better for sand as it floats on the surface.

Wider is better for hard surfaces as there is more contact area.

Phill
  Narrow tyres have lower 'rolling resistance', and require less power to turn them, thus bestowing improved performance and better fuel economy. Thats why small cars have skinny tyres.

  Less strain on steering linkages, axles, CV joints, transmissions and wheel bearings.

  Lighter weight puts less load on shock absorbers and improves braking [at least until you start skidding, which may occurr earlier in some conditions, with less rubber on the road].

  Narrow tyres have significant advantages in directional stability in loose gravel, mud, slush, snow and ice.

  They are less prone to staking or stone-cuts when travelling off-road.

  They give you a better ride because you miss more bumps and gibbers.

  They give you lighter and more accurate steering.

  They cost less.

  The spare takes up less space, and is lighter for old farts to manhandle onto a roof-rack.

  A mate of mine used to run beetle wheels and tyres on his split-screen kombi 'coz he reckons it made it go faster. Every little bit helped with a 36 hp motor!

The only time you need wide tyres is in soft sand, or drive very fast, or have a couple of hundred horsepower.

  Wide tyres only became popular because they look good.

                                                          Roger [Beetle], old and to forgetful to be wise.



 

 

VW Blue Motion vehicles are equipped with those tyres for a.m. reasons, especially fuel economy.
Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 12/05/2012, at 3:26 PM, Gullyraker@aol.com wrote:

 

  Narrow tyres have lower 'rolling resistance', and require less power to turn them, thus bestowing improved performance and better fuel economy. Thats why small cars have skinny tyres.

  Less strain on steering linkages, axles, CV joints, transmissions and wheel bearings.

  Lighter weight puts less load on shock absorbers and improves braking [at least until you start skidding, which may occurr earlier in some conditions, with less rubber on the road].

  Narrow tyres have significant advantages in directional stability in loose gravel, mud, slush, snow and ice.

  They are less prone to staking or stone-cuts when travelling off-road.

  They give you a better ride because you miss more bumps and gibbers.

  They give you lighter and more accurate steering.

  They cost less.

  The spare takes up less space, and is lighter for old farts to manhandle onto a roof-rack.

  A mate of mine used to run beetle wheels and tyres on his split-screen kombi 'coz he reckons it made it go faster. Every little bit helped with a 36 hp motor!

The only time you need wide tyres is in soft sand, or drive very fast, or have a couple of hundred horsepower.

  Wide tyres only became popular because they look good.

                                                          Roger [Beetle], old and to forgetful to be wise.



 

 

I used to run narrow tyres on my rally car. Great in the rough or muddy stuff.

Phill

> On 12/05/2012, at 3:26 PM, Gullyraker@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Narrow tyres have lower 'rolling resistance', and require less power
> to turn them, thus bestowing improved performance and better fuel
> economy. Thats why small cars have skinny tyres.
> >
> > Less strain on steering linkages, axles, CV joints, transmissions
> and wheel bearings.
> >
> > Lighter weight puts less load on shock absorbers and improves
> braking [at least until you start skidding, which may occurr earlier in
> some conditions, with less rubber on the road].
> >
> > Narrow tyres have significant advantages in directional stability in
> loose gravel, mud, slush, snow and ice.
> >
> > They are less prone to staking or stone-cuts when travelling
> off-road.
> >
> > They give you a better ride because you miss more bumps and gibbers.
>
> >
> > They give you lighter and more accurate steering.
> >
> > They cost less.
> >
> > The spare takes up less space, and is lighter for old farts to
> manhandle onto a roof-rack.
> >
> > A mate of mine used to run beetle wheels and tyres on his
> split-screen kombi 'coz he reckons it made it go faster. Every little
> bit helped with a 36 hp motor!
> >
> > The only time you need wide tyres is in soft sand, or drive very fast,
> or have a couple of hundred horsepower.
> >
> > Wide tyres only became popular because they look good.
> >
> > Roger
> [Beetle], old and to forgetful to be wise.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

Which is the point that I mentioned about the WRC cars – totally terrifying speeds on surfaces almost impossible to walk on.

Les

 


From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au
Sent: 12 May 2012 19:25
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] narrow tyres

 

I used to run narrow tyres on my rally car. Great in the rough or muddy stuff.

Phill

,___