New wheel bearings and still a wobble

Well I'll be sticking around a while longer yet. Seems my wheel bearings though worn weren't the culprit of my wobbly wheel. Anyway thus far I have pulled the whole front end apart again (getting good at this) Removed the wheel,brake disc and cv joint and rotated the hub. It's a long way out by around 5mm when rotating by hand. To me it suggests either the cast iron arm which seats the wheel bearing could be warped or the hub is bent. I don't know about the condition of the outer cv joint so it may well be bent too. Any one have any other ideas?
God knows what abuse this van has been through at the mercy of the previous owner.

I know of a wrecker with a syncro nearby that I may be able to source a new hub and the cast iron arm from but highly doubt the outer cv will still be there as all the good bits are already gone. Next question is does anyone know where I can source a new outer cv joint from?

Looks like I'll be paying a visit to imparts too for another wheel bearing seeing as It'll be damaged when I disassemble the hub.

cheers and may I be on the road to perth soon:)
When you say wobble what happens exactly? Does the hub spin out of round? Greg E

--- On Fri, 15/4/11, erik h <erikhoeflinger@hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New wheel bearings and still a wobble
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Friday, 15 April, 2011, 5:46 PM

Well I'll be sticking around a while longer yet. Seems my wheel bearings though worn weren't the culprit of my wobbly wheel. Anyway thus far I have pulled the whole front end apart again (getting good at this) Removed the wheel,brake disc and cv joint and rotated the hub. It's a long way out by around 5mm when rotating by hand. To me it suggests either the cast iron arm which seats the wheel bearing could be warped or the hub is bent. I don't know about the condition of the outer cv joint so it may well be bent too. Any one have any other ideas?
God knows what abuse this van has been through at the mercy of the previous owner.

I know of a wrecker with a syncro nearby that I may be able to source a new hub and the cast iron arm from but highly doubt the outer cv will still be there as all the good bits are already gone. Next question is does anyone know where I can source a new outer cv joint from?

Looks like I'll be paying a visit to imparts too for another wheel bearing seeing as It'll be damaged when I disassemble the hub.

Greg,
Russell at Volksrepair at Airport West tel 9330 3455 today charged me $305.80 incl.gst for a "proper German" outer front CV joint which I needed for my Caravelle (not including labour for fitting). Can't remember the brand but they had to get it down from Sydney for me.Hope you can get on the road again soon before that leave whittles away.
Roger

--- On Fri, 15/4/11, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New wheel bearings and still a wobble
Received: Friday, 15 April, 2011, 5:40 PM

When you say wobble what happens exactly? Does the hub spin out of round? Greg E

Greg, what I'm seeing is the wheel runs laterally uneven. One side protruding 5mm further and hence I can hear the brake pads rub the disc every rotation.

I'll try some of the local sources given for outer cv joints and hope I find a solution in the next couple days:). thanks for the help guys:)

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 02:40:07 -0700

Erik, If this is the same symptom you had before the bearing replacement it sounds like a bent hub. Did the bearing press into the knuckle and hub nice and tight? Did you have trouble removing the cv from the hub? Greg E

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 16 April 2011 7:26 AM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New wheel bearings and still a wobble

Greg, what I'm seeing is the wheel runs laterally uneven. One side protruding 5mm further and hence I can hear the brake pads rub the disc every rotation.

I'll try some of the local sources given for outer cv joints and hope I find a solution in the next couple days:). thanks for the help guys:)

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com From: gregespo73@yahoo.com Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 02:40:07 -0700 Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New wheel bearings and still a wobble 

Well I'll be sticking around a while longer yet. Seems my wheel bearings though worn weren't the culprit of my wobbly wheel. Anyway thus far I have pulled the whole front end apart again (getting good at this) Removed the wheel,brake disc and cv joint and rotated the hub. It's a long way out by around 5mm when rotating by hand. To me it suggests either the cast iron arm which seats the wheel bearing could be warped or the hub is bent. I don't know about the condition of the outer cv joint so it may well be bent too. Any one have any other ideas? God knows what abuse this van has been through at the mercy of the previous owner. I know of a wrecker with a syncro nearby that I may be able to source a new hub and the cast iron arm from but highly doubt the outer cv will still be there as all the good bits are already gone. Next question is does anyone know where I can source a new outer cv joint from? Looks like I'll be paying a visit to imparts too for another wheel bearing seeing as It'll be damaged when I disassemble the hub. cheers and may I be on the road to perth soon:)
Greg, yes this is the same problem as before I changed the bearings. The new bearings did press in tight and are seated properly. Outer cv joint was easy to remove and seems to be a good fit to the hub. That is there is no play or tightness noticeable. I am definitely leaning towards it being a bent hub and will hopefully be able to get a hold of one on monday. cheers

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:30:03 -0700

Erik, If this is the same symptom you had before the bearing replacement it sounds like a bent hub. Did the bearing press into the knuckle and hub nice and tight? Did you have trouble removing the cv from the hub? Greg E

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com From: gregespo73@yahoo.com Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 02:40:07 -0700 Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New wheel bearings and still a wobble 

Well I'll be sticking around a while longer yet. Seems my wheel bearings though worn weren't the culprit of my wobbly wheel. Anyway thus far I have pulled the whole front end apart again (getting good at this) Removed the wheel,brake disc and cv joint and rotated the hub. It's a long way out by around 5mm when rotating by hand. To me it suggests either the cast iron arm which seats the wheel bearing could be warped or the hub is bent. I don't know about the condition of the outer cv joint so it may well be bent too. Any one have any other ideas? God knows what abuse this van has been through at the mercy of the previous owner. I know of a wrecker with a syncro nearby that I may be able to source a new hub and the cast iron arm from but highly doubt the outer cv will still be there as all the good bits are already gone. Next question is does anyone know where I can source a new outer cv joint from? Looks like I'll be paying a visit to imparts too for another wheel bearing seeing as It'll be damaged when I disassemble the hub. cheers and may I be on the road to perth soon:)

I would remove the cv shaft and disc and check for runout on the face of the hub. If you press that  hub back out of the bearing that new bearing is a throw away as the outer race will stay on the hub. If you do go this far spining the hub in a lathe will be definative. Probably telling you how to suck eggs but I know the urge of the open road calling. Greg E 

Sent: Sat, 16 April, 2011 9:59:00 AM

Greg, yes this is the same problem as before I changed the bearings. The new bearings did press in tight and are seated properly. Outer cv joint was easy to remove and seems to be a good fit to the hub. That is there is no play or tightness noticeable. I am definitely leaning towards it being a bent hub and will hopefully be able to get a hold of one on monday. cheers

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:30:03 -0700

Hi Erik

I have a wheel hub housing and hub fitted with a brand new bearing and seals that I would sell if you are interested - it is a RHS unit. It runs true and is in good order. I did have the LHS housing also but Phill Lander purchased that.

P-mail me.

Regards

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of erik h
Sent: Friday, 15 April 2011 3:46 PM

Hey yurik, It's the LHS assembly that I need also otherwise I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I appreciate the kind offer though. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to grab one off the syncro at a local wrecker monday:)cheers,erik

Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:20:05 +0800

Hi Erik

I have a wheel hub housing and hub fitted with a brand new bearing and seals that I would sell if you are interested - it is a RHS unit. It runs true and is in good order. I did have the LHS housing also but Phill Lander purchased that.

P-mail me.

Regards

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of erik h
Sent: Friday, 15 April 2011 3:46 PM