Number of T3 Syncros still existing in Australia

Got to reading an old posting on a UK website called Club 80/90 which is "a forum for owners and lovers of T3/25 Vans". What caught my attention was a debate on the morals of selling off the unique fit out and parts of the only T3 Syncro Trakka in UK. The owner came to the conclusion it would be morally reprehensible.
Anyway the question was then posed on how many T3 vans remained registered in UK and after about 2 years they came up with the number 181 as at the 8/5/2012. Originally they were talking only RHD Syncros but I think it got redefined to any T3. Seems a low number to me and on our membership (140?) would seem to be possibly equalled by the numbers of Syncros here. Does anyone know? Does it mean we were a more natural market or has the dreaded salt on English roads gradually eaten away the British stock of Syncros?
Cheers
Roger
Melbourne
I would say that is 181 syncros. There are more T3s than that at Vanfest.

Australia had many more syncros than the UK.

> bellrmit <bellrmit@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> Got to reading an old posting on a UK website called Club 80/90 which
> is "a forum for owners and lovers of T3/25 Vans". What caught my
> attention was a debate on the morals of selling off the unique fit out
> and parts of the only T3 Syncro Trakka in UK. The owner came to the
> conclusion it would be morally reprehensible.
> Anyway the question was then posed on how many T3 vans remained
> registered in UK and after about 2 years they came up with the number
> 181 as at the 8/5/2012. Originally they were talking only RHD Syncros
> but I think it got redefined to any T3. Seems a low number to me and on
> our membership (140?) would seem to be possibly equalled by the numbers
> of Syncros here. Does anyone know? Does it mean we were a more natural
> market or has the dreaded salt on English roads gradually eaten away the
> British stock of Syncros?
> Cheers
> Roger
> Melbourne
I have read somewhere that there was only 25 RHD syncro tristars ever made and all in 89?

Didnt we get around 400 syncros just for Telstra?

Quite a few of them didnt survive the terrors that Telstra put them through.

Skot

On 13/05/2012 7:46 AM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:

>
> Cheers
> Roger
> Melbourne

> I have read somewhere that there was only 25 RHD syncro tristars ever
> made and all in 89?

That sounds about right. I've only ever seen two.
>
> Didnt we get around 400 syncros just for Telstra?
>

I think that there may have been more. One shipment was 400 and there was another one.

Phill
I heard Telecom had 300+ costing about $45,000 each. Judging by the way mine was trashed at 98,000 ks when I got it they were very unpopular probably due to to inadequate Aussie installed airconditioning, especially in remote and hot areas. And the German design putting the radiator hoses under the floor without insulation (very nice in the winter to warm your feet) didnt help.

The extensive shelving, roof racks and hot water heater and inverter added a lot of weight without ladders spares etc

I think the theory amongst the technicians was that if you could wreck it a replacement would be a Toyota Landcruiser with ac that worked.

All seem to have had custom made curtains put on the cargo barrier to try to improve the situation. Over 25 degrees the cab was usually hotter inside than out even with the ac ON. My first modification was to remove the barrier and install a sliding rear window. Great for camping and passenger comfort.

Philip in Byron

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, 13 May 2012 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Number of T3 Syncros still existing in Australia

I have read somewhere that there was only 25 RHD syncro tristars ever made and all in 89?

Didnt we get around 400 syncros just for Telstra?

Quite a few of them didnt survive the terrors that Telstra put them through.

Skot

On 13/05/2012 7:46 AM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:

>
> Cheers
> Roger
> Melbourne

Locally here there were 2 Telecom Syncros. One driven unsympathetically and had transmission troubles very early on and disappeared soon after. The other obviously driven by a VW person and kept for a very long time, from memory at least 10 years. Then he got a T4 Syncro.

Bruce in CQ  

On 17/05/2012, at 12:10 PM, Philip Macrae wrote:

I heard Telecom had 300+ costing about $45,000 each. Judging by the way mine was trashed at 98,000 ks when I got it they were very unpopular probably due to to inadequate Aussie installed airconditioning, especially in remote and hot areas. And the German design putting the radiator hoses under the floor without insulation (very nice in the winter to warm your feet) didnt help.

The extensive shelving, roof racks and hot water heater and inverter added a lot of weight without ladders spares etc

I think the theory amongst the technicians was that if you could wreck it a replacement would be a Toyota Landcruiser with ac that worked.

All seem to have had custom made curtains put on the cargo barrier to try to improve the situation. Over 25 degrees the cab was usually hotter inside than out even with the ac ON. My first modification was to remove the barrier and install a sliding rear window. Great for camping and passenger comfort.

Philip in Byron

A retired ex Telecom employee told me the problem was that Telecom vehicle maintenance mechanics at the time had no clue how to service/repair T3 syncros. We're talking nationwide Telecom depots.
Ken

Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:55:29 +1000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Number of T3 Syncros still existing in Australia

Locally here there were 2 Telecom Syncros. One driven unsympathetically and had transmission troubles very early on and disappeared soon after. The other obviously driven by a VW person and kept for a very long time, from memory at least 10 years. Then he got a T4 Syncro.

Bruce in CQ  

Philip in Byron

A retired ex Telecom employee told me the problem was that Telecom vehicle maintenance mechanics at the time had no clue how to service/repair T3 syncros. We're talking nationwide Telecom depots.
Ken

Bruce in CQ  

Philip in Byron

I was around at my Dad's place around lunch time today and found another ex-telstra syncro parked out the front. I first thought my Dad couldn't cope without his beloved syncro so bought another one.

However, it turned out to be a guy that lives up on the hill (Elanora Heights) and comes down to have a fish at the beach every now and then.

He picked his syncro up cheaply and loves it - he totally resprayed the van including the funky step rear bar, added spot lights, some caravelle captains chairs and front door cards and lined the rear area. He still has standard wheels and he has had trouble with his Muller rebuilt gearbox (as organised by the previous Owner) popping out of gear and is currently using a 2wd 5 speed to keep the van on the road. I suggested he try Ron Smidt on the North Coast to fix his problems.

Anyway, funnily enough his name is Ken and I think I may have convinced him to come to the Nationals and possibly join the syncro club. He was also keen to come to Valla as his son lives up in Macksville, NSW.

Speaking of the Nationals, my windscreen guy said his supplier is out of stock of T3 windscreens ATM and he will ring and let me know when it can happen. Hopefully early next week so I can organise my insurance and off to the Nationals we go early so we can get a good spot together!

Skot

On 17/05/2012 1:35 PM, Ken Garratt wrote:

Ken

Bruce in CQ

The extensive shelving, roof racks and hot water heater and inverter added a lot of weight without ladders spares etc
Philip in Byron

Skot. Ronny Smit is the man to rebuild the box. Get it to him now and pick it up on the run to Valla. Perfect. Bill
If of any help, I can bring it up from Nationals and deliver to Kempsy .  Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 17/05/2012, at 6:48 PM, "Bill" <marg_bill@westnet.com.au> wrote:

Skot. Ronny Smit is the man to rebuild the box. Get it to him now and pick it up on the run to Valla. Perfect. Bill

Hart,

The new Ken didn't give me his contact number (actually I didn't ask for it), but if my Dad sees him I will try and pass this info on.

Thanks for the offer Hart.

Cheers,

Skot

On 17/05/2012 5:21 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:
If of any help, I can bring it up from Nationals and deliver to Kempsy . Hart

Sent from my iPad

On 17/05/2012, at 6:48 PM, "Bill" <marg_bill@westnet.com.au> wrote:

I think mine was based in Chinchilla and serviced by Toowoomba Toyata. I purchased in about 95 with 97,000 ks the same day a Gold Coast dealer purchased it at a Brisbane auction . I had been looking for some time and they were selling in Sydney auctions with double the ks for around $20,000.

I havent had any major issues in 16years except maybe the tail shaft . I replaced with a used one and when that wore out (started clicking like a worn cv joint) I drove without one for a year or two then had mullers recondition it. Probably driven 100,000 ks on the reconditioned shaft.

Philip

Sent: Thursday, 17 May 2012 12:55 PM

Bruce in CQ  

Philip in Byron