Pre lube

Hi Les,

just reading an article in ZEITSCHRIFT / Club Vee Dub Sydney  about a clever auto pre lube system. Can you offer some inside into this topic please ?

The info on the company is at  www.autoenginelube.com   MOre info by Bob Hoover in the mag page 37. Would be interesting what you think.

Hartmut
Hart, I came across the same subject the other day whilst shopping for an oil cooler take off, heres the link.

Ken, it was the diesel guy in the US that had that comparo, heres the link

Greg, The decoupler kit that SS have and Florian has come from the same machinist in Germany. Florian machines the cones and fits them up in the US I think. He seems to have the edge in shipping time and is a genuinely nice bloke to deal with. These kits are much better than the other american ones as they adopt a bearing and a larger drive dog. Greg E 

To: Hartmut Kiehn <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, 5 May, 2011 1:25:14 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Pre lube

Hi Les,

just reading an article in ZEITSCHRIFT / Club Vee Dub Sydney  about a clever auto pre lube system. Can you offer some inside into this topic please ?

The info on the company is at  www.autoenginelube.com   MOre info by Bob Hoover in the mag page 37. Would be interesting what you think.

Hartmut

Greg,
Thank you. Well done. I've just bookmarked it.

That guy sure has talent and is courageous. The decoupler references start on Page 2 but there's a lot of interesting other projects there as well.

Francesca .... don't go there. You risk getting excited about a few more projects for your beast.

Cheers.

Ken 

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 22:30:54 -0700
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Pre lube

Hart, I came across the same subject the other day whilst shopping for an oil cooler take off, heres the link.

Ken, it was the diesel guy in the US that had that comparo, heres the link

Greg, The decoupler kit that SS have and Florian has come from the same machinist in Germany. Florian machines the cones and fits them up in the US I think. He seems to have the edge in shipping time and is a genuinely nice bloke to deal with. These kits are much better than the other american ones as they adopt a bearing and a larger drive dog. Greg E 

Hi Les,

Hartmut

Hart,you see that there is also a complete Syncro engine For Sale in the new ZEITSCHRIFT.Interested?

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Les,
>
> just reading an article in ZEITSCHRIFT / Club Vee Dub Sydney about a clever auto pre lube system. Can you offer some inside into this topic please ?
>
> The info on the company is at www.autoenginelube.com MOre info by Bob Hoover in the mag page 37. Would be interesting what you think.
>
> Hartmut
>

Hartmut,

This is a clever bit of misinformation.   The text implies that the main and big end bearings are bone dry, which they aren’t.   Even if the engine has been standing for months, there is a film of oil on the bearing surfaces.   When the engine is fired up, the loads on the mains and big ends are very low and don’t become significant until well above idle or until a load is applied to the engine.   The residual film is well able to cope with these very low initial loads and it takes only a few crankshaft revolutions for the oil pump to be supplying ample oil.

Claims like this are totally misleading:

“This design flaw results in dry bearing abrasion each and every time the engine is started.
If this could be avoided up to 40% to 60% of total engine wear would be eliminated.” 

When an engine is being built or rebuilt, the bearing surfaces are always coated liberally with engine oil so there is no such thing as a dry start.   The 40-60% quoted above is pure fantasy.

Rest assured that, if this was an actual problem, such systems would be built in to all production aircraft, automotive and motorcycle piston engines.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Hartmut Kiehn
Sent: 05 May 2011 13:25
To: Hartmut Kiehn

Hi Les,

Hartmut

Phew..thanks  Les,  saves us lots of trouble and lots of expense and work !!!

You are absolutely right but i needed that confirmation. Thank you.

Hartmut

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 17:59:53 +1000
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Pre lube

Hartmut,

This is a clever bit of misinformation.   The text implies that the main and big end bearings are bone dry, which they aren’t.   Even if the engine has been standing for months, there is a film of oil on the bearing surfaces.   When the engine is fired up, the loads on the mains and big ends are very low and don’t become significant until well above idle or until a load is applied to the engine.   The residual film is well able to cope with these very low initial loads and it takes only a few crankshaft revolutions for the oil pump to be supplying ample oil.

“This design flaw results in dry bearing abrasion each and every time the engine is started.
If this could be avoided up to 40% to 60% of total engine wear would be eliminated.” 

When an engine is being built or rebuilt, the bearing surfaces are always coated liberally with engine oil so there is no such thing as a dry start.   The 40-60% quoted above is pure fantasy.

Rest assured that, if this was an actual problem, such systems would be built in to all production aircraft, automotive and motorcycle piston engines.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hartmut Kiehn

Hi Les,

Hartmut

The quote is overstated for sure.

and ...some pre-pressuring would be better than no pre-pressuring, long term.
As you say, in the regular world it doesn't seem to matter much really.

as for new engine assembly,
there is great product for that.
It's sold by Clivite, the well-known engine bearing company.
It's like thick pink oil.
you assemble the crank and bearings .......and any bearing surfaces with it.
My machine shop swears by it.
and tells of an engine they put together ( Ford Falcon inline six ) with it, and somehow that engine ended up driving 300 miles with no oil pressure ..
much of the engine was fried, but the bearings were fine .......fwiw.

I put a pre-oiler and oil pressure acuumulator system on an SVX engine in a subaru engine in a T3 van once.
There's a large can ( the company is Accusump, so you can google it ) ...
which has a spring and piston in it.  The running engine pumps oil into this accumulator can thing ( two sizes, the bigger ones is 3 qts I think )..
it can provide oil pressure to the engine if oil pressure gets low for any reason ( it's a racing part , for cars like dune buggies that jump all over the place ) ..
or ....on a cold start you can route previously stored pressurized oil right into the engine.

you could turn on your van, flip the switch to pre-oil the engine, and watch the oil pressure rise on your OP gague, all before the engine ever cranks over.   Slick.

I didn't trust it though, ultimately, because I don't see how it controls oil level in the sump.
And I couldn't get any answers from the company I was satisfied with.
there are two important things about oil in a wet sump engine, pressure, and level in the sump.
I don't see how it knows what the oil level is, and too full oil is a seriously bad thing.

Scott
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:59 AM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Pre lube

Hartmut,

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Hartmut Kiehn

Hi Les,

Hartmut

Back in the 90's I installed a preluber system on the V8 in my Jeep that I developed myself.  It uses an electric pump to draw oil from the sump drain plug through a strainer and extra oil filter
then through a one way valve and into the oil galley at the pressure sender. 
Before starting the engine I flick the switch and watch the oil pressure rise on the gauge.  It is wired so that the starter and ignition will only operate when the oil light is out.
The engine wont run or start without oil pressure and this has the added feature that the engine shuts down if the oil light comes on. 
This engine has never been started without oil pressure.  I was young and idealistic then and thought it had to be a good idea.  I have not bothered with my VW engine.  It was a lot of trouble to set up and I will probably never find out whether it has had any benefit in preventing engine wear.  
To change the oil, I remove the filter and flick the switch to pump the oil out of the sump, not sure how oil changes are done with the pressure reservoir system.  I still have the Jeep but it only has 100 000k's on the engine.  There was an oil pressure failure once and the engine shut down.  This was a good thing as by the time I would have noticed the light on it may have been too late.  I wondered why the engine had stopped then looked at the gauges and saw there was no oil pressure. 
It has also been useful on really steep hills where the oil pickup can't pick up oil and I have flicked the switch and the electric pump has supplied oil from the drain plug until at the top of the hill,
It is nice to have and I will stay with this system now it is there but I don't think it is really necessary.

Neil.

Hi Les,

Hartmut