re: Hi-Lift ... Ouch!

Gday ALL,
In the interests of syncro safety procedures, I'm reposting a US post below about a recent issue with a high lift jack .... seems there may be safety concerns when lowering a vehicle using one of these jacks.
Anyone in Oz has one of these jacks and concurs with Deon?
Cheers.
Ken

To: syncrolist@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:50:15 -0800
Subject: [syncro.org] Hi-Lift Ouch

Hey Everyone,

I was swapping out 15 inch summer tires for 16 inch mud terrain tires the other day. I had one side of the van in the air with a Hi-Lift jack, tires swapped and now lowering the van. The jack somehow changed direction, the handle suddenly swung up and caught me in the jaw. Stunned, I just stood there wondering if I was going to loose conciseness, I held on trying to figure out what just happened, and realizing that blood was starting to pour from my mouth as I spit out teeth. I had made hamburger out of my tongue, dislocated my jaw, and chipped/broke at least five teeth. I have always used the Hi-Lift (or any other tool for that matter) with a great deal of respect, but this time it got me! I'm passing this along in hopes that no one else manages to smash themselves like I have managed.

Play it safe with our toys...

Best,

Deon Reynolds
Eureka, Nevada
1987 Syncro GL

Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?

Ken,

I saw this but didn’t immediately recognize the brand of jack.  Do you recognize it or do you have any pictures?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Ken Garratt
Sent: 01 December 2009 12:42
To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] re: Hi-Lift ... Ouch!

Gday ALL,
In the interests of syncro safety procedures, I'm reposting a US post below about a recent issue with a high lift jack .... seems there may be safety concerns when lowering a vehicle using one of these jacks.
Cheers.
Ken

To: syncrolist@yahoogro ups.com

Hey Everyone,

I was swapping out 15 inch summer tires for 16 inch mud terrain tires the other day. I had one side of the van in the air with a Hi-Lift jack, tires swapped and now lowering the van. The jack somehow changed direction, the handle suddenly swung up and caught me in the jaw. Stunned, I just stood there wondering if I was going to loose conciseness, I held on trying to figure out what just happened, and realizing that blood was starting to pour from my mouth as I spit out teeth. I had made hamburger out of my tongue, dislocated my jaw, and chipped/broke at least five teeth. I have always used the Hi-Lift (or any other tool for that matter) with a great deal of respect, but this time it got me! I'm passing this along in hopes that no one else manages to smash themselves like I have managed.

Best,

Deon Reynolds
Eureka , Nevada
1987 Syncro GL

Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?

Hi Les,

HiLift is the brand name of the jack. These are extremely popular with off-road enthusiasts because they can also be used for pulling. Think low-cost hand winch. I own a few of these jacks. Company website is:

Poor Deon lives about 6 hour's drive from me.

BenT
Sent from my mobile device

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Gday ALL,
Cheers.
Ken

Hey Everyone,

Best,

Deon Reynolds
Eureka, Nevada
1987 Syncro GL

Ben,

Thanks for that.  I have had a look at their website and recognize it.  The question is: how did it go into reverse?  Jacks like this usually have a very heavy and positive pawl action that changes the action from up to down.  Considering the ones you own, how do you think this might have happened?  A hit as heavy as the one that Deon took has the potential to kill someone.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 01 December 2009 13:07
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] re: Hi-Lift ... Ouch!

Hi Les,

HiLift is the brand name of the jack. These are extremely popular with off-road enthusiasts because they can also be used for pulling. Think low-cost hand winch. I own a few of these jacks. Company website is:

BenT

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail. com> wrote:

Gday ALL,
Cheers.
Ken

To: syncrolist@yahoogro ups.com

Hey Everyone,

Best,

Deon Reynolds
Eureka , Nevada
1987 Syncro GL

Les,

It is not reversed but rather has fixing points for hooks and such so it cam function like a winch.

The Jack is designed to allow easier movement once the load is removed. This allows the handle to move faster as you lower the vehicle. Sort of a power assist. Trouble is you need to have the handle in the locked position or you can find it jacking upright -- as Deon found out, occasionally towards your face.;-(

BenT

On Nov 30, 2009, at 6:24 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Ben,

Thanks for that.  I have had a look at their website and recognize it.  The question is: how did it go into reverse?  Jacks like this usually have a very heavy and positive pawl action that changes the action from up to down.  Considering the ones you own, how do you think this might have happened?  A hit as heavy as the one that Deon took has the potential to kill someone.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 01 December 2009 13:07
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] re: Hi-Lift ... Ouch!

Hi Les,

BenT

On Nov 30, 2009, at 5:41 PM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail. com> wrote:

Gday ALL,
Cheers.
Ken

Hey Everyone,

Best,

Deon Reynolds
Eureka , Nevada
1987 Syncro GL