Re: Q&A Stalling

Ken,

Thanks for reminding me, yes I have the cable in my spare box, but unfortunately it did not make any difference.

Theo

At 06:58 PM 28/07/2013, you wrote:
Theo,
I reckon that's Vanagon Syndrome symptoms and years ago I had the exact same happen to me out of the blue.

Do you already have the fix fitted? .... ie like this:
Goto: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1490757

Ken

Hi Theo, Mark and Hamish and ALL,

Pretty much your aberrant symptoms described are similar to my experience a number of years ago. At the time I took heed of Peter Kestels docco on remedial action which included firstly all the usual checks you guys may have done already, then moved on to the next item ... maintenance/mods to the AFM, which is a known wear item. It's possible none of your AFMs have ever had maintenance done to date, happily you all can do this work yourselves. 

So in the first instance, the easiest way to check the correct functionality of your (suspect) AFM is to beg, borrow or steal one from another vehicle that is KNOWN not to be presently displaying the malfunctions you are currently experiencing. So a simple swap out/swap in then take it for a drive, see if the van drives the same or better. If better, then you know your own AFM needs remedial work. I suggest this is your easiest/best first choice test option.

To carry out maintenance on AFMs, especially if they've never had any, then read up on the attached pdf file by Peter Kestel. In my view of most particular note is the necessity to clean and shift the AFMs potentiometer plate approx. 0.5 to 1mm sideways as described in the docco, enough to shift the contact ark out of its present worn tracking, which is usually most worn in the most used rev range position, the most likely cause of your problems. If you choose to do this, be aware you MUST take particular attention to the removal of the three screws that hold the potentiometer plate in place. They have been loctited! Suggest you experiment VERY carefully with each screw in turn, be sure to apply considerable and controlled pressure using a well fitting screwdriver bit to avoid stripping the screw heads. Don't say you haven't been warned! On removal of screws, I chose to replace them with more positive screw heads that also had built-in washers for increased surface contact and hence avoided using loctite. No problem since.

For good measure, I also added the tantalum capacitor mod and earthed the AFM alloy case to chassis ground, as recommended by Peter. You can never have enough grounds!

I reiterate what I said earlier. I've previously experienced the symptoms you speak of. This is how I remedied my van and the symptoms have not re-occurred since.

You all just may get lucky.

Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:45:03 +1000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

Ken,

Thanks for reminding me, yes I have the cable in my spare box, but unfortunately it did not make any difference.

Theo

Theo,
I reckon that's Vanagon Syndrome symptoms and years ago I had the exact same happen to me out of the blue.

Ken

Theo. I had the same problem as you and Ken. Intermittent stalling. After working my way through all the common offenders it turned out to be the hall sender. The van finally stopped dead and a lack of spark piinted to the hall sender. I was just about ready to push the bloody thing over a cliff. That was a few years ago and she hasn't missed a beat in many thousands of ks.I think the thorough going over she got loiking for the problem actually made her more reliable. Don't give up Theo. All your work wont be in vain. When you finally find the problem she will run like a top. Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ken,
>
>
> Thanks for reminding me, yes I have the cable in my spare box, but
> unfortunately it did not make any difference.
>
>
> Theo
>
>
>
>
> At 06:58 PM 28/07/2013, you wrote:
>
>
>
> Theo,
>
> I reckon that's Vanagon Syndrome symptoms and
> years ago I had the exact same happen to me out of the blue.
>
>
> Do you already have the fix fitted? .... ie like this:
>
> Goto:
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1490757
>
>
> Ken
>
Bill, Ken, Roger, Hamish and All,

Mine is not a Vanagon Syndrome only #2 of Peter Kestels explanation apply to my problem but no smoke.
Thanks Ken for that very informative report, I'm going to need it.
In my case a few not related symptoms buildt up around the same time according to the VW mechanic.
Spark plug connectors faulty resistance, the AM wiper movement has a few erratic spots.
Running on LPG I use special plugs which could not handle the over rich mixture, back to standard plugs for now.
So a few things out of wack caused me all that headache. The AFM isn't that old - bought in 01/2010.  (58,000km)
I will try to repair the AFM as per Peter K's remedies. I will keep you posted as I go.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Cheers

At 10:15 AM 30/07/2013, you wrote:

Theo. I had the same problem as you and Ken. Intermittent stalling. After working my way through all the common offenders it turned out to

I'd try another AFM first. See if you can borrow one.

I doubt if the AFM has anything to do with an idle problem.

Phill

----- Original Message -----
Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

To:
<Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Cc:

Sent:
Tue, 30 Jul 2013 22:55:03 +1000
Subject:
Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

Mine is not a Vanagon Syndrome only #2 of Peter Kestels explanation apply to my problem but no smoke.
In my case a few not related symptoms buildt up around the same time according to the VW mechanic.
Spark plug connectors faulty resistance, the AM wiper movement has a few erratic spots.
Running on LPG I use special plugs which could not handle the over rich mixture, back to standard plugs for now.
So a few things out of wack caused me all that headache. The AFM isn't that old - bought in 01/2010. (58,000km)
I will try to repair the AFM as per Peter K's remedies. I will keep you posted as I go.

Cheers

Theo. I had the same problem as you and Ken. Intermittent stalling. After working my way through all the common offenders it turned out to

Email sent using Optus Webmail
I forgot to say I had swapped out the AFM also.
Made no difference.
Next test is the Temp sensor and then 02 sensor.
I'm finding this whole experience quite interesting as previously
I had no idea of the complexity of fuel injection etc.

Never give up !

Mark

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Theo, Mark and Hamish and ALL,
> Pretty much your aberrant symptoms described are similar to my experience a number of years ago. At the time I took heed of Peter Kestels docco on remedial action which included firstly all the usual checks you guys may have done already, then moved on to the next item ... maintenance/mods to the AFM, which is a known wear item. It's possible none of your AFMs have ever had maintenance done to date, happily you all can do this work yourselves.
> So in the first instance, the easiest way to check the correct functionality of your (suspect) AFM is to beg, borrow or steal one from another vehicle that is KNOWN not to be presently displaying the malfunctions you are currently experiencing. So a simple swap out/swap in then take it for a drive, see if the van drives the same or better. If better, then you know your own AFM needs remedial work. I suggest this is your easiest/best first choice test option.
> To carry out maintenance on AFMs, especially if they've never had any, then read up on the attached pdf file by Peter Kestel. In my view of most particular note is the necessity to clean and shift the AFMs potentiometer plate approx. 0.5 to 1mm sideways as described in the docco, enough to shift the contact ark out of its present worn tracking, which is usually most worn in the most used rev range position, the most likely cause of your problems. If you choose to do this, be aware you MUST take particular attention to the removal of the three screws that hold the potentiometer plate in place. They have been loctited! Suggest you experiment VERY carefully with each screw in turn, be sure to apply considerable and controlled pressure using a well fitting screwdriver bit to avoid stripping the screw heads. Don't say you haven't been warned! On removal of screws, I chose to replace them with more positive screw heads that also had built-in washers for increased surface contact and hence avoided using loctite. No problem since.
> For good measure, I also added the tantalum capacitor mod and earthed the AFM alloy case to chassis ground, as recommended by Peter. You can never have enough grounds!
> I reiterate what I said earlier. I've previously experienced the symptoms you speak of. This is how I remedied my van and the symptoms have not re-occurred since.
> You all just may get lucky.
> Cheers.Ken
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: teows@...
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:45:03 +1000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ken,
>
>
>
>
> Theo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Theo,
>
>
>
>
> Goto:
>
>
>
> Ken
>
Just disconnect the O2 sensor and see what happens.

To:
Cc:

Sent:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 00:08:04 -0000
Subject:
[Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

I forgot to say I had swapped out the AFM also.
Made no difference.
Next test is the Temp sensor and then 02 sensor.
I'm finding this whole experience quite interesting as previously
I had no idea of the complexity of fuel injection etc.

Never give up !

Mark

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Theo, Mark and Hamish and ALL,
> Pretty much your aberrant symptoms described are similar to my experience a number of years ago. At the time I took heed of Peter Kestels docco on remedial action which included firstly all the usual checks you guys may have done already, then moved on to the next item ... maintenance/mods to the AFM, which is a known wear item. It's possible none of your AFMs have ever had maintenance done to date, happily you all can do this work yourselves.
> So in the first instance, the easiest way to check the correct functionality of your (suspect) AFM is to beg, borrow or steal one from another vehicle that is KNOWN not to be presently displaying the malfunctions you are currently experiencing. So a simple swap out/swap in then take it for a drive, see if the van drives the same or better. If better, then you know your own AFM needs remedial work. I suggest this is your easiest/best first choice test option.
> To carry out maintenance on AFMs, especially if they've never had any, then read up on the attached pdf file by Peter Kestel. In my view of most particular note is the necessity to clean and shift the AFMs potentiometer plate approx. 0.5 to 1mm sideways as described in the docco, enough to shift the contact ark out of its present worn tracking, which is usually most worn in the most used rev range position, the most likely cause of your problems. If you choose to do this, be aware you MUST take particular attention to the removal of the three screws that hold the potentiometer plate in place. They have been loctited! Suggest you experiment VERY carefully with each screw in turn, be sure to apply considerable and controlled pressure using a well fitting screwdriver bit to avoid stripping the screw heads. Don't say you haven't been warned! On removal of screws, I chose to replace them with more positive screw heads that also had built-in washers for increased surface contact and hence avoided using loctite. No problem since.
> For good measure, I also added the tantalum capacitor mod and earthed the AFM alloy case to chassis ground, as recommended by Peter. You can never have enough grounds!
> I reiterate what I said earlier. I've previously experienced the symptoms you speak of. This is how I remedied my van and the symptoms have not re-occurred since.
> You all just may get lucky.
> Cheers.Ken
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: teows@...
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:45:03 +1000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ken,
>
>
>
>
> Theo
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Theo,
>
>
>
>
> Goto:
>
>
>
> Ken
>

Have you checked if there are any leaks in the inlet manifold system , if a bolt or clamp is loose it can allow the manifold to suck air in buggering up the air/fuel mixture into the motor.

Bob

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au
Sent: Wednesday, 31 July 2013 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

Phill

To:

Cc:

Sent:

Subject:

So a few things out of wack caused me all that headache. The AFM isn't that old - bought in 01/2010.  (58,000km)

Cheers

Also check the microswitch on the throttle body

Air leaks are the most common problem with idle.

To:
Cc:

Sent:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:09:11 +1000
Subject:
RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

Have you checked if there are any leaks in the inlet manifold system , if a bolt or clamp is loose it can allow the manifold to suck air in buggering up the air/fuel mixture into the motor.

Bob

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au

Phill

To:

Cc:

Sent:

Subject:

So a few things out of wack caused me all that headache. The AFM isn't that old - bought in 01/2010. (58,000km)

Cheers

Yeah and leaky plenum tubes, dirty injectors and leaky injector seals.
Ken

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:09:11 +1000
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

Bob

Phill

To:

Cc:

Sent:

Subject:

Cheers

Phil,
That the first thing  I did, so I know it was not O2 sensor.
Theo

At 10:18 AM 31/07/2013, you wrote:

Just disconnect the O2 sensor and see what happens.

Bob,

I use a hand held vacuum gauge to check the manifold, the needle stays steady.

Theo

At 11:09 AM 31/07/2013, you wrote:

Bob

Cheers ken. Honest and wise reply.

I'm board as usual and well..... im just going to install something more new - I kind of like to think of it ...as a mid life crisis!

So If any one what's a relatively new 2.4 (82mm DPR counterweighted crank swinging 96.5mm wiesco pistons with h beam rods and GW hyd camshaft fitted with new ported amc heads) motor built and cared for with lots of tlc then give me a call on

Cost over 11 k
Sell for 7k 

Km on motor less than 20k
Car at Bribie isl at my parents house - happy to let test drive and remove when needed.

Sent from my iPhone

On 30/07/2013, at 12:22 AM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Theo, Mark and Hamish and ALL,

Pretty much your aberrant symptoms described are similar to my experience a number of years ago. At the time I took heed of Peter Kestels docco on remedial action which included firstly all the usual checks you guys may have done already, then moved on to the next item ... maintenance/mods to the AFM, which is a known wear item. It's possible none of your AFMs have ever had maintenance done to date, happily you all can do this work yourselves. 

So in the first instance, the easiest way to check the correct functionality of your (suspect) AFM is to beg, borrow or steal one from another vehicle that is KNOWN not to be presently displaying the malfunctions you are currently experiencing. So a simple swap out/swap in then take it for a drive, see if the van drives the same or better. If better, then you know your own AFM needs remedial work. I suggest this is your easiest/best first choice test option.

To carry out maintenance on AFMs, especially if they've never had any, then read up on the attached pdf file by Peter Kestel. In my view of most particular note is the necessity to clean and shift the AFMs potentiometer plate approx. 0.5 to 1mm sideways as described in the docco, enough to shift the contact ark out of its present worn tracking, which is usually most worn in the most used rev range position, the most likely cause of your problems. If you choose to do this, be aware you MUST take particular attention to the removal of the three screws that hold the potentiometer plate in place. They have been loctited! Suggest you experiment VERY carefully with each screw in turn, be sure to apply considerable and controlled pressure using a well fitting screwdriver bit to avoid stripping the screw heads. Don't say you haven't been warned! On removal of screws, I chose to replace them with more positive screw heads that also had built-in washers for increased surface contact and hence avoided using loctite. No problem since.

For good measure, I also added the tantalum capacitor mod and earthed the AFM alloy case to chassis ground, as recommended by Peter. You can never have enough grounds!

I reiterate what I said earlier. I've previously experienced the symptoms you speak of. This is how I remedied my van and the symptoms have not re-occurred since.

You all just may get lucky.

Cheers.
Ken

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:45:03 +1000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Q&A Stalling

Ken,

Theo

Theo,

Ken

<Intake Air Flow Sensor.2.pdf>