Re: [Syncro T3 Australia] Frazer Trip [2 Attachments]

Hi,

Sam asked about the holes I poked the garden hose into so I thought I would share Photos with all, in case anyone else was wondering.  I made this discovery whilst getting very wet under the car, so be prepared to get wet when sticking the hose in these holes with a bit of pressure..  The first 2 are in the rear wheel arches the third is the subframe tube at the front.  I basically got under the car and shot the hose into these and any other hole I could find..

Cheers,

Rowan Hardinge Syncro Surfer Blog: http://syncrosurfer.tumblr.com/

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015, 12:15, Sam Arnold <sam@samarnold.org> wrote:

Hi Rowan, hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm wondering what holes you are referring to:
"Found holes in the underbody to put the hose into and watched all he sand and other mud etc come out amazing design feature! "

Thanks! Sam

----- Original Message -----
Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

To:
"_T3_Australia Forum Syncro" <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Cc:

Sent:
Mon, 28 Sep 2015 18:30:38 -0700
Subject:
[Syncro T3 Australia] Frazer Trip [2 Attachments]

Hi Syncros,

Report from my Frazer trip.
To prepare for the trip I had all my rubber boots replaced
Under vehicle.. I had already installed a ERPS electronic rust
Prevention system. Finally thouroughly cleaned and sprayed the
Underbody with Lanolin. Went for a drive on some dusty roads to
Get a coating on dust to the lanolin prior to introducing sand.
Support vehicle was a Land Cruiser high clearance with onboard air compressor. 4 guys in 2 cars.
We got on the last barge from Inskip point before the sinkhole swallowed the caravan park!
It was low tide and we travelled up the beach and saw 2 Dingoes on our way to the most Northery
Camping area it was about 100km and we got there after dark and setup at the only communal
Fire pit. A couple of swags set up there and later arrived with some Taylor was our 2 companions
For the night in a nice Hilux. The 2.1 Syncro worked hard into the dark and the temp gauge was at at least 3/4 but stable.
Speeds reached were up to 80kmph but usually around 60-70 at low tide. Washouts were not a problem. Softer sand was not a problem.
Plenty of beers + spirits and music was played around the campfire. 2 guitars, piano harpsichord, bongo, and harmonicas.
Add a professional muso to the mix and Pearl Jam covers and a few spontaneous originals never sounded so good😀
Our new companions were pleasantly amused at the musical talent we had brought to the island!
Explored some lakes and floated in them with pool noodles and a beer!. Camped on he beach dunes at Eli creek
Swam and enjoyed the outgoing tide in the creek.
On the way home had to turn around at the most southerly tip before the barge as it was getting treacherous.
Did not want to end up on the wall of shame! The Syncro never got bogged down during the whole trip.
My companions were surprised at its capability as usual! It was apparent that the factory suspension could do with an upgrade.. On sand a bit soft and bottomed out a few times. Still no complaints and my suspension has never felt better and after a thorough workout the squeaks have disappeared! The engine worked hard and faithfully all trip.
We hauled ass back home and sat on 110kmph. All up fuel economy was excellent. 15 litres per 100 km on the sand.
Spent a whole day washing the Syncro and camp gear out due to it raining on the last night and having to pack in the rain. Found holes in the underbody to put the hose into and watched all he sand and other mud etc come out amazing design feature! So the Syncro washed up as good as new and the drivetrain enjoyed the work!
My Syncro never ceases to keep on giving and surprising me in tough off-road situations. Frazer I would class as an easy 4wd trip. A safe one too if you don't push the limits of nature, ie tides and it pays not to be in too much of a hurry..
This was an exciting trip and much was learned about man and machine alike!
I will post videos when they become available..

Regards,

Rowan

Thanks for sharing Rowan and great to hear your trip went really well....

Go the syncro!

Glad you missed being sucked into the sink hole - that thing is a monster!

Looking forward to more photos and the videos.

Cheers,

Skot

On 30/09/2015 10:52 AM, Rowan Hardinge rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:
Hi,
Sam asked about the holes I poked the garden hose into so I thought I would share Photos with all, in case anyone else was wondering. I made this discovery whilst getting very wet under the car, so be prepared to get wet when sticking the hose in these holes with a bit of pressure.. The first 2 are in the rear wheel arches the third is the subframe tube at the front. I basically got under the car and shot the hose into these and any other hole I could find..
Cheers,

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015, 12:15, Sam Arnold <sam@samarnold.org> wrote:

Hi Rowan, hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm wondering what holes you are referring to:
"Found holes in the underbody to put the hose into and watched all he sand and other mud etc come out amazing design feature! "

Thanks! Sam

To:
Cc:

Sent:
Subject:

Hi Syncros,

Support vehicle was a Land Cruiser high clearance with onboard air compressor. 4 guys in 2 cars.
We got on the last barge from Inskip point before the sinkhole swallowed the caravan park!
It was low tide and we travelled up the beach and saw 2 Dingoes on our way to the most Northery
Camping area it was about 100km and we got there after dark and setup at the only communal
Fire pit. A couple of swags set up there and later arrived with some Taylor was our 2 companions
For the night in a nice Hilux. The 2.1 Syncro worked hard into the dark and the temp gauge was at at least 3/4 but stable.
Speeds reached were up to 80kmph but usually around 60-70 at low tide. Washouts were not a problem. Softer sand was not a problem.
Plenty of beers + spirits and music was played around the campfire. 2 guitars, piano harpsichord, bongo, and harmonicas.
Add a professional muso to the mix and Pearl Jam covers and a few spontaneous originals never sounded so good😀
Our new companions were pleasantly amused at the musical talent we had brought to the island!
Explored some lakes and floated in them with pool noodles and a beer!. Camped on he beach dunes at Eli creek
On the way home had to turn around at the most southerly tip before the barge as it was getting treacherous.
Did not want to end up on the wall of shame! The Syncro never got bogged down during the whole trip.
My companions were surprised at its capability as usual! It was apparent that the factory suspension could do with an upgrade.. On sand a bit soft and bottomed out a few times. Still no complaints and my suspension has never felt better and after a thorough workout the squeaks have disappeared! The engine worked hard and faithfully all trip.
We hauled ass back home and sat on 110kmph. All up fuel economy was excellent. 15 litres per 100 km on the sand.
Spent a whole day washing the Syncro and camp gear out due to it raining on the last night and having to pack in the rain. Found holes in the underbody to put the hose into and watched all he sand and other mud etc come out amazing design feature! So the Syncro washed up as good as new and the drivetrain enjoyed the work!
My Syncro never ceases to keep on giving and surprising me in tough off-road situations. Frazer I would class as an easy 4wd trip. A safe one too if you don't push the limits of nature, ie tides and it pays not to be in too much of a hurry..

Regards,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Fraser is worth the effort and easy enough to get around. Glad you missed that sink hole!! Can't imagine how scary that would have been for the people there. I did the same trip as you mid August. We stayed just south of Indian heads and explored as far north as Orchid Beach as well as a few inland lakes and tracks. Covered 400km on the Island, and thanks to the long range tank filled up in Brissy and made it easily back to Gympie before re-filling. We also had Taylor most nights, good eating!

Yes, there are plenty of nooks and crannies underneath well worth flushing out after a trip. The hole you show in the rear spring support, that panel is all open behind, so good to get a hose to direct water in behind it also, the one in the chassis rail is also a good one to flush as dirt get stuck in there right back to the bumper mounts and is a blind hole.

One spot often forgotten is the box/chassis behind the bumper, there are plenty of holes in it, and good to get up in there, as well as the outer sills (there are a few bungs to remove for easier access). Other good ones are the box  the rear swing arm hangs from and inside the rear swing arm itself (go in where the axle enters)

Lanolin is great, but a bit too sticky, last year I applied 2-3months before I went on a trip, but was still sticky, I use it mainly in the seams and under all the window rubbers, flood it in, let it dry 3-4wks and clean the excess off. Underneath I use a combination, on the chassis/under floor etc I use a good tar based sealer/chassis paint, give it 3-4wks to dry and I over paint with body colour paint. This stops anything sticking to it, makes it easy to clean and with a light colour makes it easier to see things underneath. All the hidden areas underneath like in chassis rails etc I use Techtol, again takes a 6-8wks to dry but does a great job sealing and protecting.

On suspension parts and exposed metal around the engine I use cold gal, paints over most things, stands up to heat OK and does a good job protecting, even goes OK on exhausts and all the bolts on the engine/gear box to protect them.

I also added some extra mud flaps, these did a great job keeping sand out of everything! Last year in deep sand a lot gets up over the engine, this year was still some up there but a whole lot less!

Interesting on your temps, with the new radiator I fitted earlier this year, even heavy going on the inland tracks (doing ~20-30kph) and 5 people in the bus the fan did not kick in often, so the gauge hovered ~1/2 way and just below.

I'm interested in what tire pressures you ran? I dropped to ~15psi, but could have gone a little lower I think.

Looks like you're a QLD'er Rowan, where abouts are you based? (I'm in Brissy)

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <rowan.hardinge@...> wrote :

Hi,

Sam asked about the holes I poked the garden hose into so I thought I would share Photos with all, in case anyone else was wondering.  I made this discovery whilst getting very wet under the car, so be prepared to get wet when sticking the hose in these holes with a bit of pressure..  The first 2 are in the rear wheel arches the third is the subframe tube at the front.  I basically got under the car and shot the hose into these and any other hole I could find..

Cheers,

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015, 12:15, Sam Arnold <sam@...> wrote:

Thanks! Sam

To:
Cc:

Sent:
Subject:

Hi Syncros,

Regards,

Rowan

Fraser Island is one of the 'top 10' must do Syncro adventures. Good Story!
I remember the most intimidating moment...from the car park to the punt (this was 25 years ago).
The sand was churned up in mounds and I watched a Toyota totally lose it sideways.
Is it still like that?

I was loaded up with 4 adults, 4 hang gliders and a box trailer (1/2 ton).
Let down the tyres, pulled the switches, into G (just to be safe) and the Syncro became 'the tractor'.
Straight across without blinking. All where amazed...especially me.

gotta luv our 'tractors'!!

PK

All the tracks were better than I expected when I was there in August. Run to the ferry was deep ruts, but nothing difficult. The only people getting stuck was more driving skill than vehicle ability.

Not that I am experienced off road, and was my first time to Fraser, that being said I had my T2 on the beach a few times and never got stuck, a little common sense and listening to experienced drivers gets you a long way!

Some of the inland tracks had deep ruts from the tour bus's, but I had more clearance than a Feroza in our group and they got everywhere fine.

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <kestel.p@...> wrote :

I remember the most intimidating moment...from the car park to the punt (this was 25 years ago).
The sand was churned up in mounds and I watched a Toyota totally lose it sideways.
Is it still like that?

Let down the tyres, pulled the switches, into G (just to be safe) and the Syncro became 'the tractor'.

PK

My wife and I were there in the T2 in 2010 on our honeymoon.
Getting to the barge was no problem despite a local guy's dire predictions as I was airing down. He said the sand was particularly soft due to the heat which dries the sand out and I should come back in the early morning when the sand was cool.
We only got stuck once at the entrance to one of the inland tracks.  It was driver error on my part trying to drive out of the ruts, should have stayed in the ruts where the  sand was firmer. A quick snatch from a 4WD and we were out but not before I had done some digging with my hands in the soft sand.  I kind of lost my nerve from that point on since we were on our own and not even in a 4WD vehicle.  We camped the night further up the beach and the next morning I noticed my wedding ring was gone so back to the spot to have a look for it. 
While we were there three 4WD vehicles including a dual cab ute, a Toyota Troop carrier and one other all got stuck in the same spot so I felt a bit better about it after that.  The sand varies a lot and can be easily passable one day and very difficult another.
Coming off the barge the sand was very churned up and soft and looked horrendous.  We watched the first vehicle; a Landcruiser ute take a running leap off the barge and launch into the worst of it.  The vehicle appeared to leave the ground at times lurching left and right and sand was flying everywhere but he got through.  The barge captain raised an eyebrow and suggested we go around to the right to avoid that section which we did and so did the vehicles coming off behind us.

From: "cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 1 October 2015, 16:18
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: [Syncro T3 Australia] Frazer Trip

All the tracks were better than I expected when I was there in August. Run to the ferry was deep ruts, but nothing difficult. The only people getting stuck was more driving skill than vehicle ability.
Not that I am experienced off road, and was my first time to Fraser, that being said I had my T2 on the beach a few times and never got stuck, a little common sense and listening to experienced drivers gets you a long way!
Some of the inland tracks had deep ruts from the tour bus's, but I had more clearance than a Feroza in our group and they got everywhere fine.
Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <kestel.p@...> wrote :

Is it still like that?

PK

Hi Richard,

I'm on the Gold Coast.
We ran 18psi which was fine. The sand was not super fine but there were some deep spots.
There had been some recent rains so that helps.
Temp gauge settled down for the rest of the trip, it was just he first sand run that got things a bit hot. Might be the fully synthetic oil perhaps?
Sounds like you have quite a lot of underbody protection going there Richard well done.
How do you apply the paints do you use a brush or spray?

Rowan

On 1 Oct 2015, 9:28:11 AM, cathrich1@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Rowan,

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Fraser is worth the effort and easy enough to get around. Glad you missed that sink hole!! Can't imagine how scary that would have been for the people there. I did the same trip as you mid August. We stayed just south of Indian heads and explored as far north as Orchid Beach as well as a few inland lakes and tracks. Covered 400km on the Island, and thanks to the long range tank filled up in Brissy and made it easily back to Gympie before re-filling. We also had Taylor most nights, good eating!

Yes, there are plenty of nooks and crannies underneath well worth flushing out after a trip. The hole you show in the rear spring support, that panel is all open behind, so good to get a hose to direct water in behind it also, the one in the chassis rail is also a good one to flush as dirt get stuck in there right back to the bumper mounts and is a blind hole.

One spot often forgotten is the box/chassis behind the bumper, there are plenty of holes in it, and good to get up in there, as well as the outer sills (there are a few bungs to remove for easier access). Other good ones are the box the rear swing arm hangs from and inside the rear swing arm itself (go in where the axle enters)

Lanolin is great, but a bit too sticky, last year I applied 2-3months before I went on a trip, but was still sticky, I use it mainly in the seams and under all the window rubbers, flood it in, let it dry 3-4wks and clean the excess off. Underneath I use a combination, on the chassis/under floor etc I use a good tar based sealer/chassis paint, give it 3-4wks to dry and I over paint with body colour paint. This stops anything sticking to it, makes it easy to clean and with a light colour makes it easier to see things underneath. All the hidden areas underneath like in chassis rails etc I use Techtol, again takes a 6-8wks to dry but does a great job sealing and protecting.

On suspension parts and exposed metal around the engine I use cold gal, paints over most things, stands up to heat OK and does a good job protecting, even goes OK on exhausts and all the bolts on the engine/gear box to protect them.

I also added some extra mud flaps, these did a great job keeping sand out of everything! Last year in deep sand a lot gets up over the engine, this year was still some up there but a whole lot less!

Interesting on your temps, with the new radiator I fitted earlier this year, even heavy going on the inland tracks (doing ~20-30kph) and 5 people in the bus the fan did not kick in often, so the gauge hovered ~1/2 way and just below.

I'm interested in what tire pressures you ran? I dropped to ~15psi, but could have gone a little lower I think.

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi,
Sam asked about the holes I poked the garden hose into so I thought I would share Photos with all, in case anyone else was wondering. I made this discovery whilst getting very wet under the car, so be prepared to get wet when sticking the hose in these holes with a bit of pressure.. The first 2 are in the rear wheel arches the third is the subframe tube at the front. I basically got under the car and shot the hose into these and any other hole I could find..
Cheers,

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015, 12:15, Sam Arnold wrote:

Thanks! Sam

To:
"_T3_Australia Forum Syncro"
Cc:

Sent:
Subject:

Hi Syncros,

Regards,

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Your not that far away, maybe one day the QLD'ers should do a week end run!

The sand sounds similar to when I was there, Not sure if the oil type really has an effect, I know a lot of people were against synthetic on the air cooled VW's, but can't say I ever noticed any difference. If it settled down, could have just been a bit of tough going on that run.

Probably more over time have just tried various things and that's what I have found the best so far (well for apply yourself at home products). Yes have been applying with a spray can, I have found brush applied is hard to get an even coat, especially in all the crevices, and can't be bothered with the clean up using a spry painter. The Tectyl has a good nozzle and gets deep into the hard to get to places.

I had an ERP system on my T2, have not put one on the Syncro, but have been thinking about it.. What brand did you use? I'm not convinced they actually work, but no harm in putting them on :)

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm on the Gold Coast.
We ran 18psi which was fine. The sand was not super fine but there were some deep spots.
There had been some recent rains so that helps.
Temp gauge settled down for the rest of the trip, it was just he first sand run that got things a bit hot. Might be the fully synthetic oil perhaps?
Sounds like you have quite a lot of underbody protection going there Richard well done.
How do you apply the paints do you use a brush or spray?

Rowan

On 1 Oct 2015, 9:28:11 AM, cathrich1@... [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Rowan,

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Fraser is worth the effort and easy enough to get around. Glad you missed that sink hole!! Can't imagine how scary that would have been for the people there. I did the same trip as you mid August. We stayed just south of Indian heads and explored as far north as Orchid Beach as well as a few inland lakes and tracks. Covered 400km on the Island, and thanks to the long range tank filled up in Brissy and made it easily back to Gympie before re-filling. We also had Taylor most nights, good eating!

One spot often forgotten is the box/chassis behind the bumper, there are plenty of holes in it, and good to get up in there, as well as the outer sills (there are a few bungs to remove for easier access). Other good ones are the box the rear swing arm hangs from and inside the rear swing arm itself (go in where the axle enters)

Richard

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi,
Cheers,

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015, 12:15, Sam Arnold wrote:

Thanks! Sam

To:
"_T3_Australia Forum Syncro"
Cc:

Sent:
Subject:

Hi Syncros,

Regards,

Rowan

Hi Richard,

Definitely, a weekend trip would be good or a longer trip next year.  
Alternatively Moreton Island would be good to explore.  
Might be a good idea to avoid the hot summer months tho.  
How many Syncros would be interested?

How high should the Temp needle go in a Syncro on the sand? 
Some of the other members might chime in here from experience..
I thought it was normal for it to go past 1/2 up to 3/4, I may be wrong, 
mine went a little over that which was a concern, then it seemed to settle 
down and was stable at about 3/4.  

Perhaps radiator might be the problem need a good flush.  
I do have a spare radiator from a Syncro in the shed which I could try, alternatively I came across this proper cleaning kit for about $100 which might be worth investigating.    http://liquidintelligence.com.au/products/engine-cooling-system-cleaning-kit

Gunter from Beach Buggy Australia recommended the EPRS system they are based in Currumbin.  Stuff knows if they work!  Mine is a 10 Coupler system.  Protective coatings would be the next logical step for me to take in the fight against rust.  Rust never sleeps!    http://www.erps.com.au/

Rowan : )

---In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, <cathrich1@...> wrote :

Hi Rowan,

The sand sounds similar to when I was there, Not sure if the oil type really has an effect, I know a lot of people were against synthetic on the air cooled VW's, but can't say I ever noticed any difference. If it settled down, could have just been a bit of tough going on that run.

Probably more over time have just tried various things and that's what I have found the best so far (well for apply yourself at home products). Yes have been applying with a spray can, I have found brush applied is hard to get an even coat, especially in all the crevices, and can't be bothered with the clean up using a spry painter. The Tectyl has a good nozzle and gets deep into the hard to get to places.

I had an ERP system on my T2, have not put one on the Syncro, but have been thinking about it.. What brand did you use? I'm not convinced they actually work, but no harm in putting them on :)

Richard

Hi R&R with Hart etc
I have found in the past not so much with the Syncro, but turning the heater on and fan up can usually take the edge of rising temp in some situations.
Prefer the uncomfortable warm cab with decreasing temp gauge then comfortable cab with raising temp gauge
My thermo fan kicks in at about 5/8ths guage range and there is a high speed function that I have never witnessed coming on with normal use
.. I have hot wired a faulty temp fan switch and the high speed thermo fan function is double the noise but not sure if its double the speed?
Cheers Guys pete

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:51 AM, rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I do have a spare radiator from a Syncro in the shed which I could try, alternatively I came across this proper cleaning kit for about $100 which might be worth investigating. http://liquidintelligence.com.au/products/engine-cooling-system-cleaning-kit

Gunter from Beach Buggy Australia recommended the EPRS system they are based in Currumbin. Stuff knows if they work! Mine is a 10 Coupler system. Protective coatings would be the next logical step for me to take in the fight against rust. Rust never sleeps! http://www.erps.com.au/

Hi Rowan,

Richard

Hi Rowan,

When we went was early February in about 2003 and it seemed the QLD school holidays were still going as there was a tribe of them on the ferry over and they seemed to commonly camp at the Wrecks which is the southern end of the western side of the island just down from Tangalooma.

Only problem we had was a front tyre was staked early on (Hankook crap tyres) and this needed regular re-inflation.

An awesome island - not quite as good as Fraser but we had a great time. We were only on there for 3 days which was enough time to check everything out.

Try and avoid school holidays from all states - we knew we had NSW covered but didnt realise how late QLD went back.

Cheers,

Skot

On 6/10/2015 10:51 AM, rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

Hi Richard,

I do have a spare radiator from a Syncro in the shed which I could try, alternatively I came across this proper cleaning kit for about $100 which might be worth investigating. http://liquidintelligence.com.au/products/engine-cooling-system-cleaning-kit

Gunter from Beach Buggy Australia recommended the EPRS system they are based in Currumbin. Stuff knows if they work! Mine is a 10 Coupler system. Protective coatings would be the next logical step for me to take in the fight against rust. Rust never sleeps! http://www.erps.com.au/

Hi Rowan,

Richard

Peter, more noise from the fan motor is more cooling air over the radiator.
Maybe good idea to replace hot wires with a new switch I.e. Tooleys Imports
Hornsby (Syd). Not expensive .
Also remember that our water temp instruments are of very basic nature and can sway from truth a fair bit ...
See you on the Qld explore trip !!
Hart

Sent from my WalkingStick!

On 06/10/2015, at 11:24, "Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi R&R with Hart etc 
I have found in the past not so much with the Syncro, but turning the heater on and fan up can usually take the edge of rising temp in some situations.
Prefer the uncomfortable warm cab with decreasing temp gauge then comfortable cab with raising temp gauge
 My thermo fan kicks in at about 5/8ths guage range and there is a high speed function that I have never witnessed coming on with normal use
.. I have hot wired a faulty temp fan switch and the high speed thermo fan  function is double the noise but not sure if its double the speed?
Cheers Guys pete

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 9:51 AM, rowan.hardinge@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I do have a spare radiator from a Syncro in the shed which I could try, alternatively I came across this proper cleaning kit for about $100 which might be worth investigating.    http://liquidintelligence.com.au/products/engine-cooling-system-cleaning-kit

Gunter from Beach Buggy Australia recommended the EPRS system they are based in Currumbin.  Stuff knows if they work!  Mine is a 10 Coupler system.  Protective coatings would be the next logical step for me to take in the fight against rust.  Rust never sleeps!    http://www.erps.com.au/

Hi Rowan,

Richard

Cheers Hart only hot wired the switch wire when my fan stoped working a few years back, all fixed now however thought I would share the experience.
Was surprised how fast the fast speed was for the thermo fan as I was not aware there was two speeds until I hot wired the switch wires that hot day when my switch failed.
thanks for the holiday stories much appreciated
Cheers pete

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Hartmut Kiehn hartis@live.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Peter, more noise from the fan motor is more cooling air over the radiator.
Maybe good idea to replace hot wires with a new switch I.e. Tooleys Imports
Hornsby (Syd). Not expensive .
Also remember that our water temp instruments are of very basic nature and can sway from truth a fair bit ...
See you on the Qld explore trip !!
Hart

Sent from my WalkingStick!

On 06/10/2015, at 11:24, "Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi R&R with Hart etc
I have found in the past not so much with the Syncro, but turning the heater on and fan up can usually take the edge of rising temp in some situations.
.. I have hot wired a faulty temp fan switch and the high speed thermo fan function is double the noise but not sure if its double the speed?
Cheers Guys pete

Hi Richard,

Hi Rowan,

Richard

Hi Peter,

In my van the first fan stage kicks in also around 5/8ths and the full fan not much after this. Driving around in summer, sitting idle for a few minutes or in slow traffic resulting in the second stage / full fan kicking in all the time. The full speed fan doesn't take long to cool things down though and is never on for more than 10-20 seconds.

Cheers.

Jon.

On 6 October 2015 at 11:24, Peter Wilson peterw1000@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi R&R with Hart etc
Cheers Guys pete

Hi Richard,

Hi Rowan,

Richard

With temps, last year I had my (original) radiator replaced. The original was working fine, just part of slowly replacing things over time. On a trip to straddie, the gauge was just over half way (needle just past the light) and the fan was on most of the time. It was not until November on a camping trip (the week we had extreme temps high temps) that I had the second stage of the fan kick in (roughly at 3/4 mark)

After that trip I discovered the new radiator was not the "tropical conditions" radiator, it was one for colder climates. I bought the Behr radiator from SA.

On the frazer trip, the fan only came on now and then, and gauge hovered around 1/2 way mark. I drive fairly conservatively though, am sure if I was pushing harder the temps would have gone up a little.

Since I fitted the Behr now even the first stage of the fan rarely kicks in. Keep in mind when it's hot I usually have the AC on, so the first stage of the fan is on permanent anyway.

I would say if the second stage of the fan is kicking in (~3/4 mark), it's a sign to check the system over, if the second stage of the fan is staying on for a while, there is an issue somewhere.

Thanks on the ERPS, I will add it to the ever growing to do list!

Richard

Hi Richard,

Gunter from Beach Buggy Australia recommended the EPRS system they are based in Currumbin.  Stuff knows if they work!  Mine is a 10 Coupler system.  Protective coatings would be the next logical step for me to take in the fight against rust.  Rust never sleeps!    http://www.erps.com.au/

Hi Rowan,

Richard

I have been looking at Morton as a trip, be nice to go but costs add up quickly (would be $4-500 for ferry, permit and camping), so if going there would make it a longer trip to make the most of it.

For a week end away I have not really explored much in the way of tracks around Lamington, but is sure to be some nice tracks out that way.

Depending on timing I'd be in. If it's a family trip we'd be a group of 5.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Hi Rowan,

Richard

I'm interested in a Morton trip.

Peter

Gold Coast