re: Vacuum lines - rubber hoses

All,

Attached pic show the short hoses that linked my rear difflock and decoupler actuators to the hard plastic vacuum lines. These hoses are less than 4 years old.
Yesterday while under the van (as you do), I just happened to look at the two black hoses and discovered they were perished to an advanced state. Then I checked the red pair on the decoupler and found they were even worse, badly perished and multiple splitting. All have been replaced with what I believe are longer service life rubber hose I just happened to find in my workshop. I've yet to check the similar red hoses in place behind the dash switch control panel. Removing, fiddling around with and reinstalling that control panel is a pain in the butt!

So anyone with either of these devices that are 3 plus years old, suggest you eyeball these hoses asap or before your next trip away.

Cheers.

Ken   
Ken,

I think Graham just left for Wilpeena Pound today. I wonder if he checked them - he did just replace his fuel filter which is the first time for at least 6 years. My mechanic said the bracket holding it in place don't seem to have ever been undone.

The fuel in the filter was left to drain over night and it was full of dirt.

Worth replacing these fairly simple items as Grahams van apparently drove much better after the filter was replaced along with the new AFM.

Skot

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:52 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] re: Vacuum lines - rubber hoses

All,

Attached pic show the short hoses that linked my rear difflock and decoupler actuators to the hard plastic vacuum lines. These hoses are less than 4 years old.
Yesterday while under the van (as you do), I just happened to look at the two black hoses and discovered they were perished to an advanced state. Then I checked the red pair on the decoupler and found they were even worse, badly perished and multiple splitting. All have been replaced with what I believe are longer service life rubber hose I just happened to find in my workshop. I've yet to check the similar red hoses in place behind the dash switch control panel. Removing, fiddling around with and reinstalling that control panel is a pain in the butt!

So anyone with either of these devices that are 3 plus years old, suggest you eyeball these hoses asap or before your next trip away.

Cheers.

Ken   

Yep, been under the Red DC recently and had the same problem with ends splitting . I cut the ends clean off and stuck the hoses back on . After all they are 21 years old and I do hope to get some more years out of them. Also checked behind the actuator panel, but all is normal there.

Greetigs from NZ (brrrrr  minus 1*C over night)  Hart

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:52:50 +1000

All,

Cheers.

Ken   

Scott,
I warned Graham about these hoses a few days ago, his van at the time was still at the Erina mechanic so he said he'd get the mechanic to check his difflock vacuum lines rubbers.

Lets hope he did check them. 

Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:15:32 +1000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] re: Vacuum lines - rubber hoses

Ken,

I think Graham just left for Wilpeena Pound today. I wonder if he checked them - he did just replace his fuel filter which is the first time for at least 6 years. My mechanic said the bracket holding it in place don't seem to have ever been undone.

Worth replacing these fairly simple items as Grahams van apparently drove much better after the filter was replaced along with the new AFM.

Skot

All,

Cheers.

Ken   

Hartmut,

Begs the question then .... the origin of these perished vacuum line hoses of mine? Can't be from the fatherland eh!

Ken

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:54:33 +1030
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] re: Vacuum lines - rubber hoses

Yep, been under the Red DC recently and had the same problem with ends splitting . I cut the ends clean off and stuck the hoses back on . After all they are 21 years old and I do hope to get some more years out of them. Also checked behind the actuator panel, but all is normal there.

Greetigs from NZ (brrrrr  minus 1*C over night)  Hart

Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 18:52:50 +1000

All,

Cheers.

Ken   

Graham didn't mention anything about this - as we were busy looking at his disgusting petrol filter residue.

If these leak it would not only affect the use of the diff-locks but also should affect the idle as the vacuum would be poor.

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:45 PM

Scott,

I warned Graham about these hoses a few days ago, his van at the time was still at the Erina mechanic so he said he'd get the mechanic to check his difflock vacuum lines rubbers.

Ken

Ken,

Skot

All,

Cheers.

Ken   

Ken Skot

Still here ,leaving sunday or when ready. Yesterday did trial run on operating diff lock, worked perfectly, just looked under and diff lock vacuum hose looks brand new.Thanks for concern.  

Heading from Sydney via Mildura,Pt Augusta,Quorn,Wilpeena Pound,Gammon Ranges,then if passable the Strezlecki Track from Lyndhurst to Innamincka and back home at end of April.
Any Syncronauts living or traveling that way give me your whereabouts and we may meet up.
This is our first inland trip so may be interesting.
Will try to keep in touch.

Graham

----- Original Message ----- ..

Scott,

Ken

Ken,

Skot

All,

Cheers.

Ken   

Thanks for the tip Ken. I will check the ones on my diff lock. When I installed the decoupler late last year the hoses at the dash were all OK. I guess that is because they are not exposed like the ones underneath. I will still check the new ones as well.

Cheers, Peter from Port

Graham,

Check out the track closures as my Dad just returned from Mildura and found many tracks closed he wanted to venture up due to the recent floods.

Don't forget $1000.00 per wheel on those closed tracks is the fine so $4000.00 per syncro.

Hopefully its dried out a bit since and everything is back open again.

Enjoy the trip!

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 8:41 AM

Ken Skot

Still here ,leaving sunday or when ready. Yesterday did trial run on operating diff lock, worked perfectly, just looked under and diff lock vacuum hose looks brand new.Thanks for concern.  

Heading from Sydney via Mildura,Pt Augusta,Quorn,Wilpeena Pound,Gammon Ranges,then if passable the Strezlecki Track from Lyndhurst to Innamincka and back home at end of April.
Any Syncronauts living or traveling that way give me your whereabouts and we may meet up.
This is our first inland trip so may be interesting.
Will try to keep in touch.

Graham

----- Original Message ----- ..

Scott,

Ken

Ken,

Skot

All,

Cheers.

Ken