rear wheel bearing noise???

Happy New Year to all,from reading some of your posts it doesnt seem like a good start to the year,and maybe a bad start for me as well.
I am back from my mid coast holiday,where the bus did 1600 kms round trip.All good on and off road.

On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration.It doesnt change alot with road speed either.

Since I done some corrigated road and deep wash out driving,my question is,Could this be bearing noise?Has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing failure on their T25?

With the car on stands,tailshaft out,the same noise is there,and doesnt change with/without weight.Whilst spinning tyres by hand no noise at all,but I woulndnt expect any unless total failure.
Anyway just something else to do in my spare time and money.Yeah right!
Good to hear you had a safe return Ben.

Sorry we missed you - the monsoon and our severely leaking tent plus my 2 year old that wouldn't do as my brother would like (i.e. walk wet sand into his annexe area) put pay to that.

Did you have a go of the old mining track up from the Port Macquarie river punt?

When we went up it was dry and dusty but the monsoon hit 2 days later so you may have had some deep watercrossings.

Your noise sounds bearingish to me especially if it is not just occurring when the gearbox is driven. Does it sound like a particular side or the same noise from both sides?

At least the surf was OK.

Had a couple of totally uncrowded surfs @ Delicate Nobby in the cold current water - excellent but a tad concerning regarding sharks @ around 5:30pm.

Regarding your noise - maybe you need noisier kids or a louder stereo. I cant hear anything over mine.

Cheers,

Scott

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 4:03 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] rear wheel bearing noise???

Happy New Year to all,from reading some of your posts it doesnt seem like a good start to the year,and maybe a bad start for me as well.
I am back from my mid coast holiday,where the bus did 1600 kms round trip.All good on and off road.

On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration. It doesnt change alot with road speed either.

Since I done some corrigated road and deep wash out driving,my question is,Could this be bearing noise?Has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing failure on their T25?

With the car on stands,tailshaft out,the same noise is there,and doesnt change with/without weight.Whilst spinning tyres by hand no noise at all,but I woulndnt expect any unless total failure.

Ben,
Welcome back, we missed your input.

Being a mechanic, your scenario may be different to my recent occurrance. Still worth double checking though.

Last year I experienced your symptom. Turned out to be a loose rear wheel nut. Torqued it up, noise gone.
Ken

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, 8 January 2010 4:03 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration.It doesnt change alot with road speed either.

Howzit Scott,Did Plomer Road all the way down to Port,Then up Maria River Road back up one of those monsoonal days.Alot of deep pools.The weld on my muffler cracked,pos heat/cool from the water.Port side rough corrigations,shook us to bits.Got the biggest stone chip hurrying up my brother and law on Maria River Road.Did alot of driving in Maria River National Park,very wet,as well drove around Hat Head National Park,Russels Fire Trail,to Cresent Head.Hat Head to South West Rocks,Hat Head to Cresso,on the beach,a couple of times.Old Station Road and Seale Road were fun also.The bus went really well,until about your place coming home,where I thought I heared gearbox noise.Next morning when all the camp stuff was unloaded,could hear the noise.More investigating needed.
SHARKS had some run ins with them too!

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> Good to hear you had a safe return Ben.
>
> Sorry we missed you - the monsoon and our severely leaking tent plus my 2 year old that wouldn't do as my brother would like (i.e. walk wet sand into his annexe area) put pay to that.
>
> Did you have a go of the old mining track up from the Port Macquarie river punt?
>
> When we went up it was dry and dusty but the monsoon hit 2 days later so you may have had some deep watercrossings.
>
> Your noise sounds bearingish to me especially if it is not just occurring when the gearbox is driven. Does it sound like a particular side or the same noise from both sides?
>
> At least the surf was OK.
>
> Had a couple of totally uncrowded surfs @ Delicate Nobby in the cold current water - excellent but a tad concerning regarding sharks @ around 5:30pm.
>
> Regarding your noise - maybe you need noisier kids or a louder stereo. I cant hear anything over mine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: bencroft96
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 4:03 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] rear wheel bearing noise???
>
>
>
> Happy New Year to all,from reading some of your posts it doesnt seem like a good start to the year,and maybe a bad start for me as well.
> I am back from my mid coast holiday,where the bus did 1600 kms round trip.All good on and off road.
>
> On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration.It doesnt change alot with road speed either.
>
> Since I done some corrigated road and deep wash out driving,my question is,Could this be bearing noise?Has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing failure on their T25?
>
> With the car on stands,tailshaft out,the same noise is there,and doesnt change with/without weight.Whilst spinning tyres by hand no noise at all,but I woulndnt expect any unless total failure.
> Anyway just something else to do in my spare time and money.Yeah right!
>
Kenny,thankyou very much.Seems like a great place to start.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Garratt " <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
> Ben,
> Welcome back, we missed your input.
>
> Being a mechanic, your scenario may be different to my recent occurrance. Still worth double checking though.
>
> Last year I experienced your symptom. Turned out to be a loose rear wheel nut. Torqued it up, noise gone.
> Ken
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: bencroft96 <bencroft96@...>
> Sent: Friday, 8 January 2010 4:03 PM
>
>
> Happy New Year to all,from reading some of your posts it doesnt seem like a good start to the year,and maybe a bad start for me as well.
> I am back from my mid coast holiday,where the bus did 1600 kms round trip.All good on and off road.
>
> On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration.It doesnt change alot with road speed either.
>
> Since I done some corrigated road and deep wash out driving,my question is,Could this be bearing noise?Has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing failure on their T25?
>
> With the car on stands,tailshaft out,the same noise is there,and doesnt change with/without weight.Whilst spinning tyres by hand no noise at all,but I woulndnt expect any unless total failure.
>
Ben if there is no change in pitch/loudness of the noise when you swerve on th road it may be worth checking cv bolt torque. When mine started to come loose it sounded like a wheel bearing. Greg

--- On Thu, 7/1/10, bencroft96 <bencroft96@yahoo.com> wrote:

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Thursday, 7 January, 2010, 9:03 PM

On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration. It doesnt change alot with road speed either.

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now.
Ben,

We also had fun on the Maria River road as we only did the Point Plomber road in the dry. The dry soft sand would have been easier in the wet but the dry craters we had would have been full of water when you went through.

The corrugations were amazing and rattled a few fillings out but the Maria River Road was fairly good apart from a fair few pot holes developing in the wet.

Glad you went well on your trip - nothing worse than a problem when you are away and you need to lay in mud to fix it or even check it. Always bring the picnic rug!

Hopefully yours is loose bolt or wheel nut - all those corrugations and 4wd may have shaken something loose.

Cheers,

Scott

Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 5:35 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: rear wheel bearing noise???

Howzit Scott,Did Plomer Road all the way down to Port,Then up Maria River Road back up one of those monsoonal days.Alot of deep pools.The weld on my muffler cracked,pos heat/cool from the water.Port side rough corrigations, shook us to bits.Got the biggest stone chip hurrying up my brother and law on Maria River Road.Did alot of driving in Maria River National Park,very wet,as well drove around Hat Head National Park,Russels Fire Trail,to Cresent Head.Hat Head to South West Rocks,Hat Head to Cresso,on the beach,a couple of times.Old Station Road and Seale Road were fun also.The bus went really well,until about your place coming home,where I thought I heared gearbox noise.Next morning when all the camp stuff was unloaded,could hear the noise.More investigating needed.
SHARKS had some run ins with them too!

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@ ...> wrote:
>
> Good to hear you had a safe return Ben.
>
> Sorry we missed you - the monsoon and our severely leaking tent plus my 2 year old that wouldn't do as my brother would like (i.e. walk wet sand into his annexe area) put pay to that.
>
> Did you have a go of the old mining track up from the Port Macquarie river punt?
>
> When we went up it was dry and dusty but the monsoon hit 2 days later so you may have had some deep watercrossings.
>
> Your noise sounds bearingish to me especially if it is not just occurring when the gearbox is driven. Does it sound like a particular side or the same noise from both sides?
>
> At least the surf was OK.
>
> Had a couple of totally uncrowded surfs @ Delicate Nobby in the cold current water - excellent but a tad concerning regarding sharks @ around 5:30pm.
>
> Regarding your noise - maybe you need noisier kids or a louder stereo. I cant hear anything over mine.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scott
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: bencroft96
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 4:03 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] rear wheel bearing noise???
>
>
>
>
> On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration. It doesnt change alot with road speed either.
>
>
>

Thanx Greg,when I get a chance I will make sure that cvs bolts are torqued to 45 NM again,also on Kens recomendation,that rear hub nuts are torqued to 500 NM!!then tightened to the next split pin hole.(on the ground of course,otherwise you will pull it of stands/hoist!)Hopefully this will fix the noise and I wont have to go any further,ie wheel bearings or worst.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, greg esposito <gregespo73@...> wrote:
>
> Ben if there is no change in pitch/loudness of the noise when you swerve on th road it may be worth checking cv bolt torque. When mine started to come loose it sounded like a wheel bearing. Greg
>
> --- On Thu, 7/1/10, bencroft96 <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: bencroft96 <bencroft96@...>
> Received: Thursday, 7 January, 2010, 9:03 PM
>
>
> Ă‚
>
>
>
>
> On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration. It doesnt change alot with road speed either.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________________________________________
> See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now: http://au.movies.yahoo.com/session-times/
>
Ken,Greg ang group.After tightening rear hub nuts and all cvs to spec(nothing was loose),rear bearing noise was the same.I have established that it is bearing noise and will replace them early feb.
Found another problem though,looks like my water pump has just started to leak behind the pulley.Looks like a real fun job.I think you have to pull crankshaft pulleys off,stone guards,ac compressor to get to it.Monday week I will attack that.Have always been very cautious about not over tightening the belt,but it does look as if the pulley/or shaft has moved.Are well.By that time I should have my decoupler from Germany to fit.Looks like I will be busy on Mondays(day off)for some time.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "bencroft96" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> Kenny,thankyou very much.Seems like a great place to start.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Garratt " <unclekenz@> wrote:
> >
> > Ben,
> > Welcome back, we missed your input.
> >
> > Being a mechanic, your scenario may be different to my recent occurrance. Still worth double checking though.
> >
> > Last year I experienced your symptom. Turned out to be a loose rear wheel nut. Torqued it up, noise gone.
> > Ken
> >
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: bencroft96 <bencroft96@>
> > Sent: Friday, 8 January 2010 4:03 PM
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] rear wheel bearing noise???
> >
> >
> > Happy New Year to all,from reading some of your posts it doesnt seem like a good start to the year,and maybe a bad start for me as well.
> > I am back from my mid coast holiday,where the bus did 1600 kms round trip.All good on and off road.
> >
> > On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration.It doesnt change alot with road speed either.
> >
> > Since I done some corrigated road and deep wash out driving,my question is,Could this be bearing noise?Has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing failure on their T25?
> >
> > With the car on stands,tailshaft out,the same noise is there,and doesnt change with/without weight.Whilst spinning tyres by hand no noise at all,but I woulndnt expect any unless total failure.
> > Anyway just something else to do in my spare time and money.Yeah right!
> >
>
re the water pump job.  With the engine in the van, you don't( and can't ) remove  the crankshaft pulley.
Replacing the w. pump with the engine in the van, it's an awkward fiddly job, but doable.

one way I identify bad wheel bearings is by swerving gently on smooth pavement, at about 35 mph  ( 60 kph ) and listen for the rumbly sound to change.
 Say it's noisier going straight, and swerving left, but quieter swerving to the right, you conclude that it is likely a right side wheel bearing, as the load on it is reduced when swerving right.

on syncro's , with noises and vibrations, I have gone just nutty trying to track down the bad parts, which were not very identifiable without disassembly.
  On one, that vibrated significantly slowing down from 50 mph to 20.........running it in the air, listening and feeling everywhere, I could not identify anything.  I was leaning toward rear wheel bearings, but not feeling very solid about it at all.
  Finally I pulled the trans plug out, and it had a piece of gear on the magnet. The van's owner said to pull the trans for rebuilding.
In that process, I found a stiff rear u-joint in the drive shaft, and the lower engine mounting stud, on the left side, broken off in the engine block. ( that was fun to fix ).
  So it had those 3 actually 'broken' things, but they could not easily be identified ( except for the gear tooth piece on the magnet ) without disassembly.  That exhaust bracket that's attached to one of the lower engine mounting studs - I don't usually put those back on, I wonder even if that  contributes to hurting those  lower stud threads.

anyway, just wanted to mention the 'swerve test' to help identify which side bad wheel bearings may be on. It doesn't always work, but very often it does. ( and once on a front wheel drive car, it was 'the opposite' of the logic I mentioned above. 'usually' the side you swerve toward where the noise lessens, is the side where the bad wheel bearing is. )
Scott
Sent: Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:31 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: rear wheel bearing noise???

Ken,Greg ang group.After tightening rear hub nuts and all cvs to spec(nothing was loose),rear bearing noise was the same.I have established that it is bearing noise and will replace them early feb.
Found another problem though,looks like my water pump has just started to leak behind the pulley.Looks like a real fun job.I think you have to pull crankshaft pulleys off,stone guards,ac compressor to get to it.Monday week I will attack that.Have always been very cautious about not over tightening the belt,but it does look as if the pulley/or shaft has moved.Are well.By that time I should have my decoupler from Germany to fit.Looks like I will be busy on Mondays(day off)for some time.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, "bencroft96" <bencroft96@ ...> wrote:
>
> Kenny,thankyou very much.Seems like a great place to start.
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, "Ken Garratt " <unclekenz@> wrote:
> >
> > Ben,
> > Welcome back, we missed your input.
> >
> > Being a mechanic, your scenario may be different to my recent occurrance. Still worth double checking though.
> >
> > Last year I experienced your symptom. Turned out to be a loose rear wheel nut. Torqued it up, noise gone.
> > Ken
> >
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: bencroft96 <bencroft96@ >
> > Sent: Friday, 8 January 2010 4:03 PM
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] rear wheel bearing noise???
> >
> >
> > Happy New Year to all,from reading some of your posts it doesnt seem like a good start to the year,and maybe a bad start for me as well.
> > I am back from my mid coast holiday,where the bus did 1600 kms round trip.All good on and off road.
> >
> > On the way home I noticed a noise that I thought originally was tyre noise,that seems to be in the back.It is still there whilst coasting,clutch in,in/out of gear.It doesnt seem to be pinion bearing noise as it doesnt change with engine speed or with acceleration. It doesnt change alot with road speed either.
> >
> > Since I done some corrigated road and deep wash out driving,my question is,Could this be bearing noise?Has anyone experienced rear wheel bearing failure on their T25?
> >
> > With the car on stands,tailshaft out,the same noise is there,and doesnt change with/without weight.Whilst spinning tyres by hand no noise at all,but I woulndnt expect any unless total failure.
> > Anyway just something else to do in my spare time and money.Yeah right!
> >
>