roo bars

Hi all,

Now that we're onto bumpers, etc, I wonder whether anyone can advise me about roo bars. Ours came with a seriously ugly and heavy steel roo bar which has offended from day 1. Not only is it an eyesore, especially now there's surface rust on it, but of course it's damn heavy and I'm sure is part of the reason we scrape up front so often off-road (although new springs, tyres and 15 inch wheels would help - once we can arrange to rob the bank). I'd love to get the second spare off the front too.

Phil, I saw the ref below on your website. Can you tell me what it set you back? What price, I wonder, for a non-powder-coated silver version?

Andy, if you're out there let us know whether your spare one will be up for auction soon.

Thanks,

Francesca.

Roo Bar manufactured by "Ambula Pty Ltd" 89 Old Pittwater Rd, Brookvale NSW, Australia. Telephone 02 9939 6319 or Fax 02 9938 2168.

Phil, I saw the ref below on your website. Can you tell me what it set you
back? What price, I wonder, for a non-powder-coated silver version?

I bought mine 19 years ago.
Doh! Oh well. Thanks anyway.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM, <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Phil, I saw the ref below on your website. Can you tell me what it set you
back? What price, I wonder, for a non-powder-coated silver version?

I bought mine 19 years ago.

Hi Francesca 

Yours is identical to the one I had on mine and they are really heavy especially with the spare in place not to mention the restricted airflow to the radiator. However, the brackets underneath are well made so you might be able to get someone to make up a small A frame type of thing to bolt to these brackets. I have a pic somewhere if you need a ref. 

Sent from my mobile.

On 17/11/2009, at 8:44 PM, Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Now that we're onto bumpers, etc, I wonder whether anyone can advise me about roo bars. Ours came with a seriously ugly and heavy steel roo bar which has offended from day 1. Not only is it an eyesore, especially now there's surface rust on it, but of course it's damn heavy and I'm sure is part of the reason we scrape up front so often off-road (although new springs, tyres and 15 inch wheels would help - once we can arrange to rob the bank). I'd love to get the second spare off the front too.

Phil, I saw the ref below on your website. Can you tell me what it set you back? What price, I wonder, for a non-powder-coated silver version?

Andy, if you're out there let us know whether your spare one will be up for auction soon.

Thanks,

Francesca.

Roo Bar manufactured by "Ambula Pty Ltd" 89 Old Pittwater Rd, Brookvale NSW, Australia.  Telephone 02 9939 6319 or Fax 02 9938 2168.

Thanks, Gary. If it's not too much trouble it would be great to have a picture of yours. If I remember rightly, you adapted a bar from another vehicle, so perhaps that's another option.

Francesca.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> wrote:

Hi Francesca

Yours is identical to the one I had on mine and they are really heavy especially with the spare in place not to mention the restricted airflow to the radiator. However, the brackets underneath are well made so you might be able to get someone to make up a small A frame type of thing to bolt to these brackets. I have a pic somewhere if you need a ref.

Sent from my mobile.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Francesca.

Roo Bar manufactured by "Ambula Pty Ltd" 89 Old Pittwater Rd, Brookvale NSW, Australia. Telephone 02 9939 6319 or Fax 02 9938 2168.

I bought an alloy bumper replacement roo bar from nsw not too long ago. Wouldn't weigh more than 20kgs. Cost $300 plus $50 postage to adelaide. I looked for t3's for sale online and asked owners with bullbars on their t3's if they were willing to part with just the bar. search on www.kombiclub.com or aussieveedubbers.com  Can also place a wanted add there and you should have no shortage of responses.

Other way is wreckers of course. Here's a link to the style I bought. http://forums.kombiclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7401&d=1253161238 It's not pretty but heavy duty.

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:02:35 +1100
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] roo bars

Thanks, Gary. If it's not too much trouble it would be great to have a picture of yours. If I remember rightly, you adapted a bar from another vehicle, so perhaps that's another option.

Francesca.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyon e.net> wrote:

Hi Francesca 

Sent from my mobile.

On 17/11/2009, at 8:44 PM, Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail. com> wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Francesca.

Roo Bar manufactured by "Ambula Pty Ltd" 89 Old Pittwater Rd, Brookvale NSW, Australia.  Telephone 02 9939 6319 or Fax 02 9938 2168.

Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?
Right, good idea, Erik. Thanks for that information. You certainly have to think laterally when you own a Syncro, and discover the latent ingenuity within!

Francesca.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM, erik Hoeflinger <erikhoeflinger@hotmail.com> wrote:

I bought an alloy bumper replacement roo bar from nsw not too long ago. Wouldn't weigh more than 20kgs. Cost $300 plus $50 postage to adelaide. I looked for t3's for sale online and asked owners with bullbars on their t3's if they were willing to part with just the bar. search on www.kombiclub.com or aussieveedubbers.com Can also place a wanted add there and you should have no shortage of responses.

Other way is wreckers of course. Here's a link to the style I bought. http://forums.kombiclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7401&d=1253161238 It's not pretty but heavy duty.

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:02:35 +1100
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] roo bars

Francesca.

Hi Francesca

Sent from my mobile.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Francesca.

Check out The Great Australian Pay Check now Want to know what your boss is paid?

Hi Francesca, it definitely is an option but i have no idea what vehicle mine came from. I've looked for some marking on it but nothing. Someone else had fitted it to a T3 previously with some very ugly brackets. I still have to sort out some better brackets.

There has been a fair bit of metal removed to make it line up with the front of the T3 so i don't think it would be a particularly easy job.

What i was thinking for yours would be to remove the bull bar, leave the standard bumper in place (new ones available from http://www.thebusstop.com.au/view/928/) and get a piece of tube bent up to fit the old bull bar brackets like this:

Wrong era van i know but might work. Castagna steel on Nicholson St near Glenlyon Rd might be able to do the bending.

You could also scour ebay or other aussie vee dub forums for an alloy bar for a T3. They do come up if you are patient.

Gary

[2 0 / 2 1 Design]
28 Gwynne St
Richmond
Vic 3121
gary@twentytwentyone.net
www.twentytwentyone.net
Tel 3 9429 1868
Fax 3 9421 1110
Mob 0417 352782

On 18/11/2009, at 6:02 AM, Francesca Coles wrote:

Francesca.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyon e.net> wrote:

Hi Francesca 

Sent from my mobile.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Francesca.

Thanks again! You seem to have the ingenuity and lateral thinking in spades, Gary (along with a few others I could think of on this forum...) I guess we have to relish the challenge or get out of the road! Some useful links there. I'll just bump it up the 'to do' list.

Francesca.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> wrote:

Hi Francesca, it definitely is an option but i have no idea what vehicle mine came from. I've looked for some marking on it but nothing. Someone else had fitted it to a T3 previously with some very ugly brackets. I still have to sort out some better brackets.

There has been a fair bit of metal removed to make it line up with the front of the T3 so i don't think it would be a particularly easy job.

What i was thinking for yours would be to remove the bull bar, leave the standard bumper in place (new ones available from http://www.thebusstop.com.au/view/928/) and get a piece of tube bent up to fit the old bull bar brackets like this:

Wrong era van i know but might work. Castagna steel on Nicholson St near Glenlyon Rd might be able to do the bending.

You could also scour ebay or other aussie vee dub forums for an alloy bar for a T3. They do come up if you are patient.

Gary

[2 0 / 2 1 Design]
28 Gwynne St
Richmond
Vic 3121
gary@twentytwentyone.net
www.twentytwentyone.net
Tel 3 9429 1868
Fax 3 9421 1110
Mob 0417 352782

Francesca.

Hi Francesca

Sent from my mobile.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Francesca.

Yes it does seem like a battle but after a while you forget that if you had a normal car, you could just go out and buy the bits you need from a dealer or a shop....

Not sure if it is part of the fun but you could try telling yourself that as i do!

Gary

[2 0 / 2 1 Design]
28 Gwynne St
Richmond
Vic 3121
gary@twentytwentyone.net
www.twentytwentyone.net
Tel 3 9429 1868
Fax 3 9421 1110
Mob 0417 352782

On 18/11/2009, at 10:35 AM, Francesca Coles wrote:

Thanks again! You seem to have the ingenuity and lateral thinking in spades, Gary (along with a few others I could think of on this forum...) I guess we have to relish the challenge or get out of the road! Some useful links there. I'll just bump it up the 'to do' list.

Francesca.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyon e.net> wrote:

What i was thinking for yours would be to remove the bull bar, leave the standard bumper in place (new ones available fromhttp://www.thebusst op.com.au/ view/928/ ) and get a piece of tube bent up to fit the old bull bar brackets like this:

Gary

[2 0 / 2 1 Design]
28 Gwynne St
Richmond
Vic 3121
gary@twentytwentyon e.net
www.twentytwentyone .net
Tel 3 9429 1868
Fax 3 9421 1110
Mob 0417 352782

Francesca.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyon e.net> wrote:

Hi Francesca 

Sent from my mobile.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Francesca.

try http://www.uniqueautoparts.com.au/default/2nd_hand_parts?page=3
saw one secondhand.

Nicholas Bellgrove
Lecturer - Photography
TAFE SA
Croydon Campus
Goodall Avenue
Croydon Park SA 5008
Australia
Ph +61 8 8204 0993
Fx +61 8 8345 4534

>>> Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> 11/18/09 9:48 AM >>>
Hi Francesca, it definitely is an option but i have no idea what
vehicle mine came from. I've looked for some marking on it but
nothing. Someone else had fitted it to a T3 previously with some very

ugly brackets. I still have to sort out some better brackets.

There has been a fair bit of metal removed to make it line up with the

front of the T3 so i don't think it would be a particularly easy job.

What i was thinking for yours would be to remove the bull bar, leave
the standard bumper in place (new ones available from
http://www.thebusstop.com.au/view/928/)
and get a piece of tube bent up to fit the old bull bar brackets
like this:

http://i.imagehost.org/0866/T5_Nudge_bar.jpg

http://www.proppa.com/a- bar- stainless- steel- nudge- bar--- for- vw-
t5- 13318- p.asp

Wrong era van i know but might work. Castagna steel on Nicholson St
near Glenlyon Rd might be able to do the bending.

You could also scour ebay or other aussie vee dub forums for an alloy

bar for a T3. They do come up if you are patient.

Gary

[2 0 / 2 1 Design]
28 Gwynne St
Richmond
Vic 3121
gary@twentytwentyone.net
www.twentytwentyone.net
Tel 3 9429 1868
Fax 3 9421 1110
Mob 0417 352782

> Thanks, Gary. If it's not too much trouble it would be great to have

> a picture of yours. If I remember rightly, you adapted a bar from
> another vehicle, so perhaps that's another option.
>
>
> Francesca.
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Gary Cookson
<gary@twentytwentyone.net
> > wrote:
>
>
> Hi Francesca
>
> Yours is identical to the one I had on mine and they are really
> heavy especially with the spare in place not to mention the
> restricted airflow to the radiator. However, the brackets underneath

> are well made so you might be able to get someone to make up a small

> A frame type of thing to bolt to these brackets. I have a pic
> somewhere if you need a ref.
>
> Sent from my mobile.
>
> On 17/11/2009, at 8:44 PM, Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail.com>
wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now that we're onto bumpers, etc, I wonder whether anyone can
>> advise me about roo bars. Ours came with a seriously ugly and heavy

>> steel roo bar which has offended from day 1. Not only is it an
>> eyesore, especially now there's surface rust on it, but of course
>> it's damn heavy and I'm sure is part of the reason we scrape up
>> front so often off- road (although new springs, tyres and 15 inch
>> wheels would help - once we can arrange to rob the bank). I'd love

>> to get the second spare off the front too.
>>
>> Phil, I saw the ref below on your website. Can you tell me what it

>> set you back? What price, I wonder, for a non- powder- coated silver

>> version?
>>
>> Andy, if you're out there let us know whether your spare one will
>> be up for auction soon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Francesca.
>> Roo Bar manufactured by "Ambula Pty Ltd" 89 Old Pittwater Rd,
>> Brookvale NSW, Australia. Telephone 02 9939 6319 or Fax 02 9938
>> 2168.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
Thanks for that.

Francesca.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Nick Bellgrove <nick.bellgrove@tafesa.edu.au> wrote:

try http://www.uniqueautoparts.com.au/default/2nd_hand_parts?page=3
saw one secondhand.

Nicholas Bellgrove
Lecturer - Photography
TAFE SA
Croydon Campus
Goodall Avenue
Croydon Park SA 5008
Australia
Ph +61 8 8204 0993
Fx +61 8 8345 4534

>>> Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> 11/18/09 9:48 AM >>>

Hi Francesca, it definitely is an option but i have no idea what
vehicle mine came from. I've looked for some marking on it but
nothing. Someone else had fitted it to a T3 previously with some very

ugly brackets. I still have to sort out some better brackets.

There has been a fair bit of metal removed to make it line up with the

front of the T3 so i don't think it would be a particularly easy job.

What i was thinking for yours would be to remove the bull bar, leave
the standard bumper in place (new ones available from
http://www.thebusstop.com.au/view/928/)
and get a piece of tube bent up to fit the old bull bar brackets
like this:

http://i.imagehost.org/0866/T5_Nudge_bar.jpg

http://www.proppa.com/a- bar- stainless- steel- nudge- bar--- for- vw-
t5- 13318- p.asp

Wrong era van i know but might work. Castagna steel on Nicholson St
near Glenlyon Rd might be able to do the bending.

You could also scour ebay or other aussie vee dub forums for an alloy

bar for a T3. They do come up if you are patient.

Gary

[2 0 / 2 1 Design]
28 Gwynne St
Richmond
Vic 3121
gary@twentytwentyone.net
www.twentytwentyone.net
Tel 3 9429 1868
Fax 3 9421 1110
Mob 0417 352782

> Thanks, Gary. If it's not too much trouble it would be great to have

> a picture of yours. If I remember rightly, you adapted a bar from
> another vehicle, so perhaps that's another option.
>
>
> Francesca.
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Gary Cookson
<gary@twentytwentyone.net
> > wrote:
>
>
> Hi Francesca
>
> Yours is identical to the one I had on mine and they are really
> heavy especially with the spare in place not to mention the
> restricted airflow to the radiator. However, the brackets underneath

> are well made so you might be able to get someone to make up a small

> A frame type of thing to bolt to these brackets. I have a pic
> somewhere if you need a ref.
>
> Sent from my mobile.
>
> On 17/11/2009, at 8:44 PM, Francesca Coles <fcoles6@gmail.com>
wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now that we're onto bumpers, etc, I wonder whether anyone can
>> advise me about roo bars. Ours came with a seriously ugly and heavy

>> steel roo bar which has offended from day 1. Not only is it an
>> eyesore, especially now there's surface rust on it, but of course
>> it's damn heavy and I'm sure is part of the reason we scrape up
>> front so often off- road (although new springs, tyres and 15 inch
>> wheels would help - once we can arrange to rob the bank). I'd love

>> to get the second spare off the front too.
>>
>> Phil, I saw the ref below on your website. Can you tell me what it

>> set you back? What price, I wonder, for a non- powder- coated silver

>> version?
>>
>> Andy, if you're out there let us know whether your spare one will
>> be up for auction soon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Francesca.
>> Roo Bar manufactured by "Ambula Pty Ltd" 89 Old Pittwater Rd,