roo strike and other stuff

HI there, a roo recently had the misfortune of going under my rear wheel when I was on a freeway, and the rear wheel arch got a little folded and the steel torn. I also lost the little black wheel arch guard thing on the rear drivers side and wondered if anyone had one I could purchase?

Also, I have an oil leak from the output flanges on the rear diff/gearbox where the half shafts are attached. Does anyone know where to get new seals and whether it is doable by a reasonably competent try-hard DIY mechanic? Would the leak (a few drips onto the driveway) fail a roadworthy?

Thanks in advance

Nick Fletcher
Hi Nick,
I've got the complete set of replacement parts necessary to complete this project for both rear output shaft re-seals. However I've yet to tackle the job and have since chosen instead to continue monitoring the leak/s given that over time they aren't causing a problem and haven't gotten any worse. If that scenario continues, then I'd prefer these items be fitted in due course in conjunction with a transaxle service/overhaul. I'm comfortable meanwhile with periodically checking/topping up if necessary the fluid level in the transaxle. Not that difficult.

Perhaps you might consider the above as an alternative management option for your circumstance, assuming the leak/s are/remain relatively minor.

Just to clarify this R&R project, my past online research on this topic finds that as well as some other parts, critically there are both outer AND inner fluid seals per side that should be replaced. I suspect many DIYers only ever replace the outer seal.

This project requires a range of normal, special and/or home made tools and the skill/knowledge to carry it out correctly, risking damage to the transaxle if you mess it up. Also, doing it the first time is always the hardest.

Think about your options, do some online research and in due course, tell me what you decide to do.

Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:59:43 -0700
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] roo strike and other stuff

HI there, a roo recently had the misfortune of going under my rear wheel when I was on a freeway, and the rear wheel arch got a little folded and the steel torn. I also lost the little black wheel arch guard thing on the rear drivers side and wondered if anyone had one I could purchase?

Also, I have an oil leak from the output flanges on the rear diff/gearbox where the half shafts are attached. Does anyone know where to get new seals and whether it is doable by a reasonably competent try-hard DIY mechanic? Would the leak (a few drips onto the driveway) fail a roadworthy?

Thanks in advance

Nick Fletcher

Thanks Ken, that's exactly the advice I neede. I will definitely leave it for now and keep the fluid topped up instead.

Any ideas where I could get one of those mini wheel arch guards? 

Many thanks

Nick

On Wednesday, 19 March 2014 12:36 AM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Nick,
I've got the complete set of replacement parts necessary to complete this project for both rear output shaft re-seals. However I've yet to tackle the job and have since chosen instead to continue monitoring the leak/s given that over time they aren't causing a problem and haven't gotten any worse. If that scenario continues, then I'd prefer these items be fitted in due course in conjunction with a transaxle service/overhaul. I'm comfortable meanwhile with periodically checking/topping up if necessary the fluid level in the transaxle. Not that difficult.

Perhaps you might consider the above as an alternative management option for your circumstance, assuming the leak/s are/remain relatively minor.

Just to clarify this R&R project, my past online research on this topic finds that as well as some other parts, critically there are both outer AND inner fluid seals per side that should be replaced. I suspect many DIYers only ever replace the outer seal.

This project requires a range of normal, special and/or home made tools and the skill/knowledge to carry it out correctly, risking damage to the transaxle if you mess it up. Also, doing it the first time is always the hardest.

Think about your options, do some online research and in due course, tell me what you decide to do.

Cheers.
Ken

Thanks in advance

Nick Fletcher

Hi Nick,
Those mini arch guards are NLA new and very difficult to obtain 2nd hand, even then more often with busted mounts. So much so, it would have been worthwhile to risk life and limb to pull over on the freeway and search for the one yanked off.
Online monitor for syncros being dismantled and jump right in with an enquiry, this includes US links like The Samba.
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 13:36:13 -0700
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] roo strike and other stuff

Thanks Ken, that's exactly the advice I neede. I will definitely leave it for now and keep the fluid topped up instead.

Any ideas where I could get one of those mini wheel arch guards? 

Many thanks

Nick

On Wednesday, 19 March 2014 12:36 AM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Nick,

Cheers.
Ken

Thanks in advance

Nick Fletcher

Gooday Nick, replacing the rear drive flange oil seals is straightforward and cheap. There are two oil seals and two sealing caps involved, (one of each for each side) and they are in stock at any good aftermarket VW shop. Just explain what you need to the friendly salesman and he'll know exactly what you need.

Then you need a workshop manual.

Just remove the rear axles by undoing the CV joints, then remove the drive flanges to expose the oil seal.

It is best to replace the oil-seals in situ, without removing the threaded side-cover, as this will disturb the adjustment on the differential bearings.

Having said that, you can remove the side covers if you really have to - but seek more advice from the forum first, as there are some complexities involved. None are difficult, but you have to drain off and replace some of the tranny oil and mark the position of certain components before removal.

For the short job, good quality allen keys and a medium-sized pair of outside circlip pliers are needed, and and oil-seal remover is handy but not essential.

It's a bugger of a job to do while lying on your back, but a cinch with a hoist or over a pit.

The job is similar on a Superbug, T2 Kombi or T3, so any experienced VW mechanic could do it in a few hours. An old fart like me would take half a day. Give yourself the whole day or even two, and then you can clean out and regrease the CV joints while your at it.

I reckon the CV joints should be repacked once a year, because they cost an arm and a leg to renew if you ignore them, and develop a very embarrassing clunk that sounds like Thor is killing a swarm of redbacks on his anvil.

This is especially true if you have done, or are contemplating, a desert trip. Sand is the enemy of CV's.

Before you order the parts, check the CV's for axial slop in case you need to order new ones. You will probably need 4 new rubber gaiters as well. Don't try and save a few dollars if they look brittle, crazed or torn. I use LMM grease and a paddle-pop stick to repack the CV's. Others use a turkey-baster or pay more money for the dinky little sachets sold through the VW shops, which are easy to use and carry the correct dose.

If you like brain-teaser puzzles it is good to totally dismantle each CV to clean it and check for galling and wear, but just remember - the way to re-assemble them is not the obvious way. Read the book.

Large cable ties serve as an excellent replacement for the metal gaiter clamps.

The Lithium/Molybdenum grease is filthy stuff so you'll need some old clothes and plenty of rubber gloves and kerosene or diesel for cleaning.

While you've got the rear axles out, it is a good opportunity to spin the rear wheels to check for rumbles or slop in the rear wheel bearings.

Go for it.

Roger Beetle Bayley.