Rust in rear wheel arch

Hi, just back home in Lockington to work on my off road Syncro and decided to cut out some rust on the left rear wheel arch. Has anyone else done this repair before. Just planning to cut out the rot and fabricate new panels. Any clues?

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Sent from Yahoo!7 Mail on Android

Michael,

Try Just Kampers for replacement panels for rust/ dent repairs.

Alan Schofield apparently supplies them.

See link:

http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/shop/rear-wheelarch-lower-panel-nearside-left-for-vw-t25-1979-1992-j10055.html

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Skot

On 3/07/2013 6:21 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

Hi, just back home in Lockington to work on my off road Syncro and decided to cut out some rust on the left rear wheel arch. Has anyone else done this repair before. Just planning to cut out the rot and fabricate new panels. Any clues?

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Sorry,

Forgot to look at your photo.

See attached link:

http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/shop/rear-wheelarch-front-section-nearside-left-for-vw-t25-1979-1992-j10056.html

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Or if you get really excited:

http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/shop/rear-wheelarch-tall-panel-nearside-left-for-vw-t25-1979-1992-j10054.html

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Hi, if I had have planned a head that would have been the easy solution, but need the car for Monday so will have to make the panel from scratch. It's the inside one that is rusted out as well, I have not seen replacement panels for them before, just don't know yet how far the rust will go. I will keep posting pics of the repair if people are interested. I have taken this week off to rebuild the gearbox, install my overhauled engine and tidy up some panels. Will see how I go.

Cheers,
Michael R

From: spbconsulting@bigpond.com <spbconsulting@bigpond.com>;
To: <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Rust in rear wheel arch
Sent: Wed, Jul 3, 2013 10:06:44 AM

http://www.justkampersaustralia.com/shop/rear-wheelarch-tall-panel-nearside-left-for-vw-t25-1979-1992-j10054.html

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Michael,

Anything to do with a T3 or syncro repairs or adventures I am interested.

Please keep posting pics including the finished product - if you get time and the weather behaves....

Cheers,

Skot

On 3/07/2013 8:47 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

Hi, if I had have planned a head that would have been the easy solution, but need the car for Monday so will have to make the panel from scratch. It's the inside one that is rusted out as well, I have not seen replacement panels for them before, just don't know yet how far the rust will go. I will keep posting pics of the repair if people are interested. I have taken this week off to rebuild the gearbox, install my overhauled engine and tidy up some panels. Will see how I go.

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Here are a few shot of the rust repair job. Found the outer skin was rusted all the way down and under the spot welds so had to carve all that out. Also had to cut a chunk of the inner up right out as the bottom was rusted completely away. Ground off the rust from the remaining panels an covered with rust converter. The two other photos show the panels I made to fill the gaps. Not as nice looking as the justcampers replacement panels but should do the job. Also installed a crown wheel oiled plate in the gearbox to help with oil flow and started to bolt it back up. All slowly coming together.

Cheers,
Michael R

Sent: Wed, Jul 3, 2013 10:57:14 AM

Michael,

Please keep posting pics including the finished product - if you get time and the weather behaves....

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Here are some gearbox shots.

Cheers,
Michael R

To: Michael Roberts <type500@yahoo.com>;
Sent: Thu, Jul 4, 2013 9:44:31 AM

Nice work Michael.

Any finished (welded up finished) product - you clearly have had VW's all your life if you are game enough to attempt these repairs on your own.

Looks great so far.

Any gearbox photos?

Cheers,

Skot

On 4/07/2013 7:33 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

Here are a few shot of the rust repair job. Found the outer skin was rusted all the way down and under the spot welds so had to carve all that out. Also had to cut a chunk of the inner up right out as the bottom was rusted completely away. Ground off the rust from the remaining panels an covered with rust converter. The two other photos show the panels I made to fill the gaps. Not as nice looking as the justcampers replacement panels but should do the job. Also installed a crown wheel oiled plate in the gearbox to help with oil flow and started to bolt it back up. All slowly coming together.

Cheers,
Michael R

Michael,

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Hi all,
Got the new panel welded in, I think it should come up OK. Quick coat of anti chip paint and you will never know there was an rust there at all. Gearbox has been a bit of an issue, just finished putting the bell housing on and noticed part of the locker engaging rod o-ring sitting on the detent for the switch. Have to pull it down again an fit new o-ring tomorrow. Why is it you only notice these thing after you seal everything up?

Cheers,
Michael R

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>;
Sent: Thu, Jul 4, 2013 10:17:57 AM

Cheers,
Michael R

Nice work Michael.

Any finished (welded up finished) product - you clearly have had VW's all your life if you are game enough to attempt these repairs on your own.

Looks great so far.

Any gearbox photos?

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Michael,

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Looks good Michael.

Great job.

Lets see this beast back on the road now!

Cheers,

Skot

On 5/07/2013 9:41 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

Hi all,
Got the new panel welded in, I think it should come up OK. Quick coat of anti chip paint and you will never know there was an rust there at all. Gearbox has been a bit of an issue, just finished putting the bell housing on and noticed part of the locker engaging rod o-ring sitting on the detent for the switch. Have to pull it down again an fit new o-ring tomorrow. Why is it you only notice these thing after you seal everything up?

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,
Michael R

Nice work Michael.

Looks great so far.

Any gearbox photos?

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Michael,

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Got the fresh paint on the lower panels to cover up the dents, chips and missing paint. Engine and gearbox now ready to go in tonight. Have to have it all ready for tomorrow need to drive to Melbourne.
Will see how I go.
Michael R

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>; type500@yahoo.com <type500@yahoo.com>;
Sent: Fri, Jul 5, 2013 11:41:51 AM

Hi all,

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,
Michael R

Nice work Michael.

Looks great so far.

Any gearbox photos?

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Michael,

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts

Nice work Michael.

Better than some professionals work I have seen.

Cheers,

Skot

On 6/07/2013 5:33 PM, Michael Roberts wrote:

Got the fresh paint on the lower panels to cover up the dents, chips and missing paint. Engine and gearbox now ready to go in tonight. Have to have it all ready for tomorrow need to drive to Melbourne.
Will see how I go.
Michael R

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>; type500@yahoo.com <type500@yahoo.com>;
Sent: Fri, Jul 5, 2013 11:41:51 AM

Hi all,

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,
Michael R

Nice work Michael.

Looks great so far.

Any gearbox photos?

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Michael,

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,
Michael R

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers,

Michael Roberts