South African vs Australian Syncros

Hey guys,

I’ve been wondering if the Australian Syncros saw the same type of upgrades as the ones in South Africa from the factory? Seeing that both coutries have harsh terrain it would make sense.

South African Syncros are all basically 16 inch Syncros (with 14 inch wheels) with all the reinforced bodywork, front and rear diff lock as standard, Reinforced 16inch driveshafts and they even use the 16 inch syncro gearbox… They also all came with the 112HP DJ engines.

Would just be really interesting to me.

Hi Dylan,

Basically we only got the stock 14" syncros here in Oz, yet I have noted that in some countries in Europe, they didn’t get the snorkel system for the air intake like we have.

There is also the odd syncro I have noted that was imported here officially that has the double thickness chassis rails…these were very randomly included on mainly later model syncros here. Some Telstra syncros got them - some didnt and A mate nearby had a 91 deluxe syncro which had the double rails.

This is the double rail cut through (by someone else)

Another interesting touch is that the South African syncros are proper RHD unlike our German/ Austrian syncros which are converted double door vans as noted in this Facebook post:

Fyi post…

1st pic is a RHD German body syncro… has facility for a right had side sliding door…

2nd pic is a South African RHD syncro body… no slider facility…

Both are 1989 models… assembled in South Africa…

Hi Scott yes Ive also heard about the sliding doors in RHD syncros… And although most SA Syncros are “True” RHDs there are still some with the double sliding door driving around… Not sure why though…

1 Like