Subi or not Subi?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is someone who professionally converts Subaru motors on the East Coast when our humble MV WBX motors give up? Is it just a matter of dropping the Subaru motor into place or is there a kit and with all the accessories you can buy that has all the required engine mounts, electronics, etc. and away you go? Is it reliable and would the extra power put extra pressure on gearbox, brakes, VC, etc.
Almost all T3`s or T25`s in British VW mags have Subaru conversions that Ive read lately. I want to be able to relax and cruise comfortably in my Syncro and I dont need to make the world go by faster with greater speed by having more BHP.
Is it a better choice to recondition the 2.1L WBX in Australia?

Any advice appreciated.

Dave
David,finding someone to do the whole conversion is difficult and very time consuming.
It took me two years of research before I bought one part.
There is no complete conversion kit.The closest you will find is from Smallcar in the States.
There is a Yahoo group dedicated to Subaru/Vanagon conversions.
Check that out.
I know that Wolksberg motors in St Peters have done a few.
The question of more reliability,maybe, but parts are cheaper and more available.
Yes it does obviously put more power through the drivetrain etc,but so what!Your gearbox etc is going to need rebuilding some day anyway.The 80% increase in horsepower with a standard motor is well worth it(ej25).
I say start doing your research,buy the parts then give me a call.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidleibmann@...> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is someone who professionally converts Subaru motors on the East Coast when our humble MV WBX motors give up? Is it just a matter of dropping the Subaru motor into place or is there a kit and with all the accessories you can buy that has all the required engine mounts, electronics, etc. and away you go? Is it reliable and would the extra power put extra pressure on gearbox, brakes, VC, etc.
> Almost all T3`s or T25`s in British VW mags have Subaru conversions that Ive read lately. I want to be able to relax and cruise comfortably in my Syncro and I dont need to make the world go by faster with greater speed by having more BHP.
> Is it a better choice to recondition the 2.1L WBX in Australia?
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Dave
>
Thanks for for advice Ben.
It looks like the UK and the States are way ahead of us in there ability to transplant Subaru motors. Ill research a bit more and get back to you.
Cheers Dave

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> David,finding someone to do the whole conversion is difficult and very time consuming.
> It took me two years of research before I bought one part.
> There is no complete conversion kit.The closest you will find is from Smallcar in the States.
> There is a Yahoo group dedicated to Subaru/Vanagon conversions.
> Check that out.
> I know that Wolksberg motors in St Peters have done a few.
> The question of more reliability,maybe, but parts are cheaper and more available.
> Yes it does obviously put more power through the drivetrain etc,but so what!Your gearbox etc is going to need rebuilding some day anyway.The 80% increase in horsepower with a standard motor is well worth it(ej25).
> I say start doing your research,buy the parts then give me a call.
> BenC
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidleibmann@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is someone who professionally converts Subaru motors on the East Coast when our humble MV WBX motors give up? Is it just a matter of dropping the Subaru motor into place or is there a kit and with all the accessories you can buy that has all the required engine mounts, electronics, etc. and away you go? Is it reliable and would the extra power put extra pressure on gearbox, brakes, VC, etc.
> > Almost all T3`s or T25`s in British VW mags have Subaru conversions that Ive read lately. I want to be able to relax and cruise comfortably in my Syncro and I dont need to make the world go by faster with greater speed by having more BHP.
> > Is it a better choice to recondition the 2.1L WBX in Australia?
> >
> > Any advice appreciated.
> >
> > Dave
> >
>

Why not talk to Steve Muller at kombi rescue about this ask him what he could do to improve the performance of the mv motor or what conversion can be done   bob

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Thursday, 24 May 2012 9:08 AM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Subi or not Subi?

Thanks for for advice Ben.
It looks like the UK and the States are way ahead of us in there ability to transplant Subaru motors. Ill research a bit more and get back to you.
Cheers Dave

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <bencroft96@...> wrote:
>
> David,finding someone to do the whole conversion is difficult and very time consuming.
> It took me two years of research before I bought one part.
> There is no complete conversion kit.The closest you will find is from Smallcar in the States.
> There is a Yahoo group dedicated to Subaru/Vanagon conversions.
> Check that out.
> I know that Wolksberg motors in St Peters have done a few.
> The question of more reliability,maybe, but parts are cheaper and more available.
> Yes it does obviously put more power through the drivetrain etc,but so what!Your gearbox etc is going to need rebuilding some day anyway.The 80% increase in horsepower with a standard motor is well worth it(ej25).
> I say start doing your research,buy the parts then give me a call.
> BenC
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davidleibmann@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is someone who professionally converts Subaru motors on the East Coast when our humble MV WBX motors give up? Is it just a matter of dropping the Subaru motor into place or is there a kit and with all the accessories you can buy that has all the required engine mounts, electronics, etc. and away you go? Is it reliable and would the extra power put extra pressure on gearbox, brakes, VC, etc.
> > Almost all T3`s or T25`s in British VW mags have Subaru conversions that Ive read lately. I want to be able to relax and cruise comfortably in my Syncro and I dont need to make the world go by faster with greater speed by having more BHP.
> > Is it a better choice to recondition the 2.1L WBX in Australia?
> >
> > Any advice appreciated.
> >
> > Dave
> >
>