Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!

Hi i have recently found out through trial and error that syncros do not perform well with out cat convertor in place!!! fuel issues running rich? computer error? im really not to sure can anyone add to this question?, as for the subject matter as a result i now require a catalytic converter + sensor does anyone in the group have one they would consider selling ? or any tips where i could find one in Aus ?
Any feed back would be muchly appreciated
Cheers.
Hi Cheers,

Without oxy sensor connected you would expect to run rich, better than running lean, but it would still be running. If you take the cat out,  the fitting of the sensor should  be welded back in again, into the bend before the cat,  and the sensor re-inserted. It will run perfectly ok without cat. Consumption is normal too 12.4/100km on long trip, going 'fast'. (for DC that is, migth be more for heavy camper). 
 Some people might say that you would enjoy a little more power (less back pressure) personally I  can't feel much of a difference.

ciao Hartmut

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 02:09:07 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!

Hi i have recently found out through trial and error that syncros do not perform well with out cat convertor in place!!! fuel issues running rich? computer error? im really not to sure can anyone add to this question?, as for the subject matter as a result i now require a catalytic converter + sensor does anyone in the group have one they would consider selling ? or any tips where i could find one in Aus ?
Cheers.

You can run with an empty cat – one that has had the guts knocked out of it – and with the O2 sensor still in place and connected to the ECU.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Hartmut Kiehn
Sent: 10 April 2011 14:24
To: Hartmut Kiehn
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!

Hi Cheers,

Without oxy sensor connected you would expect to run rich, better than running lean, but it would still be running. If you take the cat out,  the fitting of the sensor should  be welded back in again, into the bend before the cat,  and the sensor re-inserted. It will run perfectly ok without cat. Consumption is normal too 12.4/100km on long trip, going 'fast'. (for DC that is, migth be more for heavy camper). 
 Some people might say that you would enjoy a little more power (less back pressure) personally I  can't feel much of a difference.

ciao Hartmut

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 02:09:07 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!

Cheers.

Yes i was thinking more power!? not the case just runs a bit richer and probably confuses the computer so really not running to its true performance level? anyways appreciate the feedback Hartmut.
Cheers
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi Cheers,
>
> Without oxy sensor connected you would expect to run rich, better than running lean, but it would still be running. If you take the cat out, the fitting of the sensor should be welded back in again, into the bend before the cat, and the sensor re-inserted. It will run perfectly ok without cat. Consumption is normal too 12.4/100km on long trip, going 'fast'. (for DC that is, migth be more for heavy camper).
> Some people might say that you would enjoy a little more power (less back pressure) personally I can't feel much of a difference.
>
> ciao Hartmut
>
>
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: richardnicholls74@...
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 02:09:07 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi i have recently found out through trial and error that syncros do not perform well with out cat convertor in place!!! fuel issues running rich? computer error? im really not to sure can anyone add to this question?, as for the subject matter as a result i now require a catalytic converter + sensor does anyone in the group have one they would consider selling ? or any tips where i could find one in Aus ?
> Any feed back would be muchly appreciated
> Cheers.
>
Hey thanks for the info les as this is the what i have done in the attempt to gain some more HP!! in retrospect i should have left it well alone as that was the way the 2.1 was designed to run now that i have changed things ,yes defiantly running richer!!i can smell it!! even when still with the ecu hooked up.
Cheers.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> You can run with an empty cat - one that has had the guts knocked out of it
> - and with the O2 sensor still in place and connected to the ECU.
>
> Les
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hartmut Kiehn
> Sent: 10 April 2011 14:24
> To: Hartmut Kiehn
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro catalytic converter / sensor
> required!
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Cheers,
>
> Without oxy sensor connected you would expect to run rich, better than
> running lean, but it would still be running. If you take the cat out, the
> fitting of the sensor should be welded back in again, into the bend before
> the cat, and the sensor re-inserted. It will run perfectly ok without cat.
> Consumption is normal too 12.4/100km on long trip, going 'fast'. (for DC
> that is, migth be more for heavy camper).
> Some people might say that you would enjoy a little more power (less back
> pressure) personally I can't feel much of a difference.
>
> ciao Hartmut
>
>
> _____
>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: richardnicholls74@...
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 02:09:07 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!
>
>
>
> Hi i have recently found out through trial and error that syncros do not
> perform well with out cat convertor in place!!! fuel issues running rich?
> computer error? im really not to sure can anyone add to this question?, as
> for the subject matter as a result i now require a catalytic converter +
> sensor does anyone in the group have one they would consider selling ? or
> any tips where i could find one in Aus ?
> Any feed back would be muchly appreciated
> Cheers.
>

Richard,

There is a world of difference between an ECU engine and a non-ECU engine.

In the olden days (the days of 8” drum brakes and vacuum wipers!!!), there were a host of standard mods that would increase power – usually at the cost of extra fuel consumption and decreased engine life.   The list included larger exhaust pipes, larger carburetors for quick mods, head porting and larger valves for more complicated work.

This generally does not apply to ECU controlled engines for very complicated reasons.   In fact, the first line of mods for ECU engines is usually modified ECU module that has been re-mapped.   This can give increased engine performance by adjusting fuel delivery, ignition firing point and similar.

Knocking the guts out of the Syncro CAT won’t get you any better performance because the ECU is set to optimize a standard engine.

Given that you have a coolant weep, you have more important things to deal with at the moment.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of richardnicholls74
Sent: 10 April 2011 18:59
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Syncro catalytic converter / sensor required!

Hey thanks for the info les as this is the what i have done in the attempt to gain some more HP!! in retrospect i should have left it well alone as that was the way the 2.1 was designed to run now that i have changed things ,yes defiantly running richer!!i can smell it!! even when still with the ecu hooked up.
Cheers.
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:

>
> You can run with an empty cat - one that has had the guts knocked out of
it
> - and with the O2 sensor still in place and connected to the ECU.
>
> Les
_,___

Greetings one and all after trialling my cat converter without its internal contents the conclusion for any one thinking of contemplating doing the same DON'T! just too many many issues ,Fuel mix too rich!(Poor economy)and of coarse back pressure the combination i believe has set back my syncros performance considerably? This leads me to my next question or an SOS can anyone give me some direction where i can source a CAT with sensor, new / secondhand it doesn't matter any leads would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Rich.