syncro globetrotters corner

Hi syncronauts,

Just wanted to let you all know i’ve put a new page on my website for globetrotters that plan an expedition with their syncro and would like other syncro’s to join them.

This should make it easier to organise for instance overland expeditions Europe – South Africa with people that share the same passion.

All you have to do is send me a picture of your car, your contact details and what trip you plan when. People that are interested can then take contact with you directly.

Mike Plompen

www.busman.be

The really adventurous ones will come to Australia and the Syncro_T3_Australia network is the ideal way to set up a travelling network

Les Harris
Syncro_T3_Australia

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:16 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] syncro globetrotters corner

Hi syncronauts,

Just wanted to let you all know i’ve put a new page on my website for globetrotters that plan an expedition with their syncro and would like other syncro’s to join them.

This should make it easier to organise for instance overland expeditions Europe – South Africa with people that share the same passion.

All you have to do is send me a picture of your car, your contact details and what trip you plan when. People that are interested can then take contact with you directly.

Mike Plompen

www.busman.be

confirmed =;-)

Joachim

Les Harris schrieb:

The really adventurous ones will come to Australia and the Syncro_T3_Australia network is the ideal way to set up a travelling network

Les Harris
Syncro_T3_Australia

Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:16 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] syncro globetrotters corner

Hi syncronauts,

Mike Plompen

www.busman.be

Dear Les,

Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are representing Victoria on the trip to the Cape. We have arranged that "if the going gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the obviously more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the crocodiles.
I seem to remember you (or anyone else) suggesting you had a simple to fabricate slatted base which provided a handy bed in your pop up roof. This would obviously save Brian from the risk of a fearsome death or a fate worse than it.
Any chance of a sketch/photo/advice on materials in your set up?
 Alternatively if anyone out there has a surplus top bed to fit a T3 I'd be interested and could pick it up on the way up as presumably if you are on the East coast you are likely to be somewhere between Melbourne and Cape York.
My pop up roof starts behind the drivers seat unlike the longer Trakka model.
Thanks in anticipation.
Finally regarding the recent VC discussion which emphasised the need to keep all tyre diameters the same, why do the VW inflation stickers specify a 4lb/  0.3kpa differential between front and rear tyres? Would it be better to run them all the same?
Cheers
Roger
T3 Syncro Campervan

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
Roger,

I am just on my way out but will be back mid afternoon.  I have a series of pics that are virtually self explanatory and I will send them direct to you.

Les

Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:59 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Bed in raised roof plus Viscous Coupling

Dear Les,

Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are representing Victoria on the trip to the Cape. We have arranged that "if the going gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the obviously more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the crocodiles.
I seem to remember you (or anyone else) suggesting you had a simple to fabricate slatted base which provided a handy bed in your pop up roof. This would obviously save Brian from the risk of a fearsome death or a fate worse than it.
Any chance of a sketch/photo/ advice on materials in your set up?
 Alternatively if anyone out there has a surplus top bed to fit a T3 I'd be interested and could pick it up on the way up as presumably if you are on the East coast you are likely to be somewhere between Melbourne and Cape York.
Thanks in anticipation.
Finally regarding the recent VC discussion which emphasised the need to keep all tyre diameters the same, why do the VW inflation stickers specify a 4lb/  0.3kpa differential between front and rear tyres? Would it be better to run them all the same?
Cheers
Roger
T3 Syncro Campervan

Les

Could you send a copy of the pics here as well - we are thinking of doing the same.

Regards
Mark.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:

Roger,

I am just on my way out but will be back mid afternoon.  I have a series of pics that are virtually self explanatory and I will send them direct to you.

Les

Dear Les,

Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Roger
T3 Syncro Campervan

--
Mark Kofahl
Solutions Outsourced Pty Ltd
Main: 1300 33 1000
Direct: 02 9375 2747
Mobile: 0419 275 259

www.solutionsoutsourced.com.au
www.siteflex.com.au

16 View Street, Camden, NSW, 2570
PO Box 658, Camden, NSW, 2570

=======================================
This e-mail, including all attachments, may be confidential or privileged. Confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in error. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received it in error please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of this email and any attachments. All liability for direct and indirect loss arising from this email and any attachments is hereby disclaimed to the extent permitted by law. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solutions Outsourced Pty Ltd.

Mark,

Will do.

Les

Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Bed in raised roof plus Viscous Coupling

Les

Could you send a copy of the pics here as well - we are thinking of doing the same.

Regards
Mark.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:

Roger,

Les

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Bed in raised roof plus Viscous Coupling

Dear Les,

Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Roger
T3 Syncro Campervan

--
Mark Kofahl

www.solutionsoutsou rced.com. au
www.siteflex. com.au

============ ========= ========= =========
This e-mail, including all attachments, may be confidential or privileged. Confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in error. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received it in error please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of this email and any attachments. All liability for direct and indirect loss arising from this email and any attachments is hereby disclaimed to the extent permitted by law. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Solutions Outsourced Pty Ltd.

Hi Rodger and Mark,

Just a matter of choice, but I built the slat version for mine off Les’ diagrams but later returned to a version based on three large slabs of plywood. My slat version at least turned out to be a bit difficult to use and for mine was a bit heavy – guess it depends on the timber you use. To me the 3 piece slab  version is simpler (particularly with children Mark, mine were apprehensive on the slats) but I know Les has noted that condensation can be a problem. I’ve not had this problem yet though. This weekend I covered the slabs with marine grade carpet to make for a softer base, a slicker look, and to reduce the chance of ‘internal damage’ when wishing to remove the pieces for around town use. The way I’ve done it is to fix this first in place as a shelf with screws into the roof edge and the other two simply slide on top and are tied down for driving. So far very successful and simple to use. If you want dimensions and more details I’m happy to supply.  

Cheers Murray  

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Les Harris
Sent: Monday, 28 April 2008 9:04 AM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

Mark,

Will do.

Les

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Bed in raised roof plus Viscous Coupling

Les

Regards
Mark.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:

Roger,

Les

Dear Les,

Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are representing Victoria on the trip to the Cape . We have arranged that "if the going gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the obviously more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the crocodiles.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Roger

T3 Syncro Campervan

--
Mark Kofahl
Main : 1300 33 1000
Mobile : 0419 275 259

www.siteflex. com.au

16 View Street , Camden , NSW, 2570
PO Box 658 , Camden , NSW, 2570

Hi Murray

Thanks for the alternative - dimensions would be good. It will be interesting to see if they differ as yours is Trakka conversion and mine is Camperize which we know are definitely different in length (yours goes right through to drivers cabin, whereas Camperize does not) but the width and lip may be different...

Mark.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Murray Lee <murray.lee@usyd.edu.au> wrote:

Hi Rodger and Mark,

Just a matter of choice, but I built the slat version for mine off Les' diagrams but later returned to a version based on three large slabs of plywood. My slat version at least turned out to be a bit difficult to use and for mine was a bit heavy – guess it depends on the timber you use. To me the 3 piece slab  version is simpler (particularly with children Mark, mine were apprehensive on the slats) but I know Les has noted that condensation can be a problem. I've not had this problem yet though. This weekend I covered the slabs with marine grade carpet to make for a softer base, a slicker look, and to reduce the chance of 'internal damage' when wishing to remove the pieces for around town use. The way I've done it is to fix this first in place as a shelf with screws into the roof edge and the other two simply slide on top and are tied down for driving. So far very successful and simple to use. If you want dimensions and more details I'm happy to supply.  

Cheers Murray  

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Les Harris

Mark,

Will do.

Les

Les

Regards
Mark.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:

Roger,

Les

Dear Les,

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Roger

T3 Syncro Campervan

--
Mark Kofahl

www.siteflex.com.au

--
Mark Kofahl

www.siteflex.com.au

Hi Mark,

Sure, I don’t have these with me but will email them tomorrow – I won’t be home until late tonight. I can also take some pics. BTW are you or others intending to go to the VW nationals this year? If so we should try and get there early and stake out a ‘campsite’.

Cheers Murray

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Mark Kofahl
Sent: Monday, 28 April 2008 10:06 AM

Hi Murray

Thanks for the alternative - dimensions would be good. It will be interesting to see if they differ as yours is Trakka conversion and mine is Camperize which we know are definitely different in length (yours goes right through to drivers cabin, whereas Camperize does not) but the width and lip may be different...

Mark.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Murray Lee <murray.lee@usyd. edu.au> wrote:

Hi Rodger and Mark,

Just a matter of choice, but I built the slat version for mine off Les' diagrams but later returned to a version based on three large slabs of plywood. My slat version at least turned out to be a bit difficult to use and for mine was a bit heavy – guess it depends on the timber you use. To me the 3 piece slab  version is simpler (particularly with children Mark, mine were apprehensive on the slats) but I know Les has noted that condensation can be a problem. I've not had this problem yet though. This weekend I covered the slabs with marine grade carpet to make for a softer base, a slicker look, and to reduce the chance of 'internal damage' when wishing to remove the pieces for around town use. The way I've done it is to fix this first in place as a shelf with screws into the roof edge and the other two simply slide on top and are tied down for driving. So far very successful and simple to use. If you want dimensions and more details I'm happy to supply.  

Cheers Murray  

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Les Harris

Mark,

Will do.

Les

Les

Regards
Mark.

Roger,

Les

Dear Les,

Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are representing Victoria on the trip to the Cape . We have arranged that "if the going gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the obviously more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the crocodiles.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Roger

T3 Syncro Campervan

--
Mark Kofahl

www.siteflex. com.au

--
Mark Kofahl

www.siteflex. com.au

Gday Roger, Brian,

Ok so I'm confused. From what you are worrying about the T5, reading
between the lines, in effect you're inferring the capability of the T5
offroad is less than a T2 kombi. After all, that's the group of vehicles
you are linking up with. If so, a bit of a worry eh.

As for the sleeping arrangements, I'd say what the hell, who gives a
toss. The simplest and best answer, and it may not happen anyway, is
simply Rogers feet at the other end of the bed to Brians!

Cheers.

Ken

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Roger Bell <bellrmit@...>
wrote:
>
> Dear Les,
>
> Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are representing
Victoria on the trip to the Cape. We have arranged that "if the going
gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the obviously
more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of
sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the
crocodiles.
> I seem to remember you (or anyone else) suggesting you had a simple to
fabricate slatted base which provided a handy bed in your pop up roof.
This would obviously save Brian from the risk of a fearsome death or a
fate worse than it.
> Any chance of a sketch/photo/advice on materials in your set up?
> Alternatively if anyone out there has a surplus top bed to fit a T3
I'd be interested and could pick it up on the way up as presumably if
you are on the East coast you are likely to be somewhere between
Melbourne and Cape York.
> My pop up roof starts behind the drivers seat unlike the longer Trakka
model.
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Finally regarding the recent VC discussion which emphasised the need
to keep all tyre diameters the same, why do the VW inflation stickers
specify a 4lb/ 0.3kpa differential between front and rear tyres? Would
it be better to run them all the same?
> Cheers
> Roger
> T3 Syncro Campervan
>
>
> ---------------------------------
> Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
>
Ken,

There are a few differences between the Series 3 (T3) and the Series 4/5 (T4 and 5). 

The Series 3, which we refer to as the T3 and is actually Type 2 Series 3, is a rear engined vehicle with rear wheel drive.  The Series 4/5 (T4 and 5) is a front engined vehicle with front wheel drive.  When all wheel drive is applied to the Series 4/5, the dynamics aren't quite the same.  This is further complicated by the lack of ground clearance in the 4/5.

Since this is a family friendly website, I won't go into the matter of the sleeping arrangements of consenting adults..............

Les

Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 6:34 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Bed in raised roof plus Viscous Coupling

Gday Roger, Brian,

Cheers.

Ken

Les,

You've totally misinterpreted my message. Why do so much damage?

I was comparing a T2 to a T5.

The sleeping arrangements I suggested have nothing whatever to do with
what is commonly referred to and understood as .... to quote you ....
"consenting adults". I would never be that offensive to Roger nor Brian.

Ken

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris"
<leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Ken,
>
> There are a few differences between the Series 3 (T3) and the Series
4/5 (T4 and 5).
>
> The Series 3, which we refer to as the T3 and is actually Type 2
Series 3, is a rear engined vehicle with rear wheel drive. The Series
4/5 (T4 and 5) is a front engined vehicle with front wheel drive. When
all wheel drive is applied to the Series 4/5, the dynamics aren't quite
the same. This is further complicated by the lack of ground clearance in
the 4/5.
>
> Since this is a family friendly website, I won't go into the matter of
the sleeping arrangements of consenting adults..............
>
> Les
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ken
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 6:34 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Bed in raised roof plus Viscous
Coupling
>
>
>
> Gday Roger, Brian,
>
> Ok so I'm confused. From what you are worrying about the T5, reading
> between the lines, in effect you're inferring the capability of the T5
> offroad is less than a T2 kombi. After all, that's the group of
vehicles
> you are linking up with. If so, a bit of a worry eh.
>
> As for the sleeping arrangements, I'd say what the hell, who gives a
> toss. The simplest and best answer, and it may not happen anyway, is
> simply Rogers feet at the other end of the bed to Brians!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Ken
>
>
> Recent Activity
> a.. 1New Members
> b.. 6New Photos
> Visit Your Group
> Health Zone
> Look your best!
>
> Groups to help you
>
> look & feel great.
>
> Yahoo! News
> Kevin Sites
>
> Get coverage of
>
> world crises.
>
> Biz Resources
> Y! Small Business
>
> Articles, tools,
>
> forms, and more.
> .
>
Ken,

We have a problem with nomenclature.

Please define T2 and T5.

Les

Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 7:37 PM

Les,

Ken

Ken
They will be Baja Kombies I would imagine, not your run of the mill Kombie. Probably have big lifts and huge tyres, something like 32 or 33 inch tyres. serious stuff.

Bruce

On 28/04/2008, at 7:37 PM, Ken wrote:

Les,

Ken

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, "Les Harris"
<leslieharris@ ...> wrote:
>
> Ken,
>
> There are a few differences between the Series 3 (T3) and the Series
4/5 (T4 and 5).
>
> The Series 3, which we refer to as the T3 and is actually Type 2
Series 3, is a rear engined vehicle with rear wheel drive. The Series
4/5 (T4 and 5) is a front engined vehicle with front wheel drive. When
all wheel drive is applied to the Series 4/5, the dynamics aren't quite
the same. This is further complicated by the lack of ground clearance in
the 4/5.
>
> Since this is a family friendly website, I won't go into the matter of
the sleeping arrangements of consenting adults...... ........
>
> Les
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ken
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 6:34 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Re: Bed in raised roof plus Viscous
Coupling
>
>
>
> Gday Roger, Brian,
>
vehicles
>
>
> Cheers.
>
> Ken
>
>
> Recent Activity
> a.. 1New Members
> b.. 6New Photos
> Visit Your Group
> Health Zone
> Look your best!
>
> Groups to help you
>
> look & feel great.
>
> Yahoo! News
> Kevin Sites
>
> Get coverage of
>
> world crises.
>
> Biz Resources
> Y! Small Business
>
> Articles, tools,
>
> forms, and more.
> .
>

Hi Ken,

I chose my T5 because 99% of my driving is on sealed roads (even 90% of this trip is), and there it is far superior to the T3. (As you’d expect being 20 years younger, but VW have also moved away from giving its commercial vehicle only barely adequate power).

So it’s horses for courses, and this is perhaps not really my course, but I’m going anyway. However, with a new and expensive vehicle I’m looking at fall-back positions as well.

I still haven’t heard of any other Syncros confirmed apart from Roger, (except I had a call today from Andrew (& Melissa), who hope to connect up with us further north (? Cairns ).

Yes the T5 lacks the ground clearance of the T3, and the much longer wheel base also means poor ‘ramp-over’ specs, but it has superior traction and power (at least to my old T3, without diff-locks). Similarly, I understand even the T2’s coming are raised and on large tyres, so there could be places where ground clearance stops only me.  On the other hand as far as I’ve been able to find so far, the major obstacle may be deep sandy tracks, and here I think the extra grunt of the T5 will win out.

As far as sleeping arrangements go, I’d pitch a tent if I had to leave the T5, but some-one said that crocodiles quite like ‘long pig’ for breakfast.

BRIAN REED

FAIRFIELD NATURAL THERAPIES

185 Wingrove St

Fairfield, Vic. 3078

03 9481 5673   0407 319 521

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken
Sent: Monday, 28 April 2008 6:35 PM

Gday Roger, Brian,

Cheers.

Ken

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, Roger Bell <bellrmit@.. .>
wrote:

>
> Dear Les,
>
> Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are representing
Victoria on the trip to the Cape . We have arranged that "if the going
gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the obviously
more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of
sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the
crocodiles.
> I seem to remember you (or anyone else) suggesting you had a simple to
fabricate slatted base which provided a handy bed in your pop up roof.
This would obviously save Brian from the risk of a fearsome death or a
fate worse than it.
> Any chance of a sketch/photo/ advice on materials in your set up?
> Alternatively if anyone out there has a surplus top bed to fit a T3
I'd be interested and could pick it up on the way up as presumably if
you are on the East coast you are likely to be somewhere between
Melbourne and Cape York .
> My pop up roof starts behind the drivers seat unlike the longer Trakka
model.
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Finally regarding the recent VC discussion which emphasised the need
to keep all tyre diameters the same, why do the VW inflation stickers
specify a 4lb/ 0.3kpa differential between front and rear tyres? Would
it be better to run them all the same?
> Cheers
> Roger
> T3 Syncro Campervan
>
>
> ------------ --------- --------- ---
>

Dear Les and Murray,

Thank you all for your feedback. I didn't realise that I would raise the roof when talking about pop tops. Also, as Brian pointed out, he was more worried about adult old crocs (no I'm not talking about me) that were consenting to something on their menu that both he and John West had rejected.
Les your photos literally gave a good picture  and I'd probably go for the slats if I had a longer body to go with the longer Trakka roof. However as I deliberately stunted my growth as I knew down the track I'd want to fit comfortably in a "normal" T3 roof.(See Roger's WA trip Augusta caravan park for picture of what I call normal roof.) I like the simplicity and probable weight saving of Murray's solution. I can measure width and length but Murray what thickness ply did you find gave the best weight/strength balance? Should it be marine ply? I'm thinking that I will try to enclose it all in a breathable sleeve that is stitched between and enough slack in the material to allow the others to concertina on top when packed but slide out when in use. I have a narrow cupboard above the main bed with a useful lift up access section so I'm a little hesitant to screw in the first bed section. I'll have to work out how to retain this.
Thanks again everyone for both useful information and raising a wry smile.
Ken I gave up sleeping head to tail when me and my 23 brothers and sisters left Mill after working a 28 hour day and went home to sleep in a paper bag!
Cheers
Roger
T3 Syncro Campervan
P.S.I am still interested if anyone has a ready made one to sell.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Roger Bell <bellrmit@...>
wrote:Hey Guys,
Just a note about my bay window camper bed that is
approx 5 pieces of ply sewn into 5 perferated vinyl conected pockets,
these pockets dont cover full width allowing easy slide out slide in
set up. You may be able to use one of these if it is wide enough?
Regards All
Pete
>
> Dear Les and Murray,
>
> Thank you all for your feedback. I didn't realise that I would
raise the roof when talking about pop tops. Also, as Brian pointed
out, he was more worried about adult old crocs (no I'm not talking
about me) that were consenting to something on their menu that both he
and John West had rejected.
> Les your photos literally gave a good picture and I'd probably go
for the slats if I had a longer body to go with the longer Trakka
roof. However as I deliberately stunted my growth as I knew down the
track I'd want to fit comfortably in a "normal" T3 roof.(See Roger's
WA trip Augusta caravan park for picture of what I call normal roof.)
I like the simplicity and probable weight saving of Murray's solution.
I can measure width and length but Murray what thickness ply did you
find gave the best weight/strength balance? Should it be marine ply?
I'm thinking that I will try to enclose it all in a breathable sleeve
that is stitched between and enough slack in the material to allow the
others to concertina on top when packed but slide out when in use. I
have a narrow cupboard above the main bed with a useful lift up access
section so I'm a little hesitant to screw in the first bed section.
I'll have to work out how to retain this.
> Thanks again everyone for both useful information and raising a
wry smile.
> Ken I gave up sleeping head to tail when me and my 23 brothers and
sisters left Mill after working a 28 hour day and went home to sleep
in a paper bag!
> Cheers
> Roger
> T3 Syncro Campervan
> P.S.I am still interested if anyone has a ready made one to sell.
>
>
> ---------------------------------
>
Gday Brian,

Thanks for all that, it's good to see that you and Rick and I understand
what a T2 is.

It's fair to say that over time, T4's and T5's have copped a fair old
drubbing rightly or wrongly about their offroad capabilities. I'm
thinking you now have this golden opportunity to fly the T5 flag and
maybe cause said knockers to eat humble pie.

I very much look forward then to a fullsome warts and all report/photos
about the offroad parts of the trip. In particular, how the T2's, T3's
and T5 fare in sand. I reckon many members here are interested to hear
and learn about that aspect of the VeeDub driving experience. Mind you,
I know from frustrating experience, driving a particular syncro over a
particular stretch of sand, one driver handles it with aplomb, whereas
the other driver fails dismally. No names, no pack drill heh heh.

For the pitched tent scenario, just auto repeat Barry Manilow CD's all
night. No self respecting croc would venture within cooie. Highly
recommended.

Cheers.

Ken
--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Reed" <breed@...>
wrote:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
>
>
> I chose my T5 because 99% of my driving is on sealed roads (even 90%
of this
> trip is), and there it is far superior to the T3. (As you'd expect
being 20
> years younger, but VW have also moved away from giving its commercial
> vehicle only barely adequate power).
>
>
>
> So it's horses for courses, and this is perhaps not really my course,
but
> I'm going anyway. However, with a new and expensive vehicle I'm
looking at
> fall-back positions as well.
>
>
>
> I still haven't heard of any other Syncros confirmed apart from Roger,
> (except I had a call today from Andrew (& Melissa), who hope to
connect up
> with us further north (? Cairns).
>
>
>
> Yes the T5 lacks the ground clearance of the T3, and the much longer
wheel
> base also means poor 'ramp-over' specs, but it has superior traction
and
> power (at least to my old T3, without diff-locks). Similarly, I
understand
> even the T2's coming are raised and on large tyres, so there could be
places
> where ground clearance stops only me. On the other hand as far as I've
been
> able to find so far, the major obstacle may be deep sandy tracks, and
here I
> think the extra grunt of the T5 will win out.
>
>
>
> As far as sleeping arrangements go, I'd pitch a tent if I had to leave
the
> T5, but some-one said that crocodiles quite like 'long pig' for
breakfast.
>
>
>
> BRIAN REED
>
> FAIRFIELD NATURAL THERAPIES
>
> 185 Wingrove St
>
> Fairfield, Vic. 3078
>
> 03 9481 5673 0407 319 521
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken
> Sent: Monday, 28 April 2008 6:35 PM
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Bed in raised roof plus Viscous
Coupling
>
>
>
>
> Gday Roger, Brian,
>
vehicles
>
>
> Cheers.
>
> Ken
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia
<mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com>
> @yahoogroups.com, Roger Bell bellrmit@
> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Les,
> >
> > Brian mentioned that (hopefully with some others) we are
representing
> Victoria on the trip to the Cape. We have arranged that "if the going
> gets really Tough" the T5 4 motion driver may transfer to the
obviously
> more capable T3 Syncro. However this would put Brian in the quandry of
> sleeping in the double bed with me or sleeping out and braving the
> crocodiles.
> > I seem to remember you (or anyone else) suggesting you had a simple
to
> fabricate slatted base which provided a handy bed in your pop up roof.
> This would obviously save Brian from the risk of a fearsome death or a
> fate worse than it.
> > Any chance of a sketch/photo/advice on materials in your set up?
> > Alternatively if anyone out there has a surplus top bed to fit a T3
> I'd be interested and could pick it up on the way up as presumably if
> you are on the East coast you are likely to be somewhere between
> Melbourne and Cape York.
> > My pop up roof starts behind the drivers seat unlike the longer
Trakka
> model.
> > Thanks in anticipation.
> > Finally regarding the recent VC discussion which emphasised the need
> to keep all tyre diameters the same, why do the VW inflation stickers
> specify a 4lb/ 0.3kpa differential between front and rear tyres? Would
> it be better to run them all the same?
> > Cheers
> > Roger
> > T3 Syncro Campervan
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.
> >
>
Gday Bruce,

hhhmmmmmm ......... makes my T2 kombi 23 inch tyres look a tad paltry.

Prudence would be to leave said wimp safely parked in my garage then eh.
hehe

Cheers.

Ken

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Alison & Bruce Black
<royalb@...> wrote:
>
> Ken
> They will be Baja Kombies I would imagine, not your run of
> the mill Kombie. Probably have big lifts and huge tyres, something
> like 32 or 33 inch tyres. serious stuff.
>
> Bruce
>
>
> On 28/04/2008, at 7:37 PM, Ken wrote:
>
> >
> > Les,
> >
> > You've totally misinterpreted my message. Why do so much damage?
> >
> > I was comparing a T2 to a T5.
> >
> > The sleeping arrangements I suggested have nothing whatever to do
with
> > what is commonly referred to and understood as .... to quote you
> > "consenting adults". I would never be that offensive to Roger nor
> > Brian.
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris"
> > leslieharris@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Ken,
> > >
> > > There are a few differences between the Series 3 (T3) and the
Series
> > 4/5 (T4 and 5).
> > >
> > > The Series 3, which we refer to as the T3 and is actually Type 2
> > Series 3, is a rear engined vehicle with rear wheel drive. The
Series
> > 4/5 (T4 and 5) is a front engined vehicle with front wheel drive.
When
> > all wheel drive is applied to the Series 4/5, the dynamics aren't
> > quite
> > the same. This is further complicated by the lack of ground
> > clearance in
> > the 4/5.
> > >
> > > Since this is a family friendly website, I won't go into the
> > matter of
> > the sleeping arrangements of consenting adults..............
> > >
> > > Les
> > >
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: Ken
> > > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > > Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 6:34 PM
> > > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Bed in raised roof plus Viscous
> > Coupling
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Gday Roger, Brian,
> > >
> > > Ok so I'm confused. From what you are worrying about the T5,
reading
> > > between the lines, in effect you're inferring the capability of
> > the T5
> > > offroad is less than a T2 kombi. After all, that's the group of
> > vehicles
> > > you are linking up with. If so, a bit of a worry eh.
> > >
> > > As for the sleeping arrangements, I'd say what the hell, who gives
a
> > > toss. The simplest and best answer, and it may not happen anyway,
is
> > > simply Rogers feet at the other end of the bed to Brians!
> > >
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > Ken
> > >
> > >
> > > Recent Activity
> > > a.. 1New Members
> > > b.. 6New Photos
> > > Visit Your Group
> > > Health Zone
> > > Look your best!