syncro lift

Hi just wondering with my modified spare wheelcover underneath how I can lift my 15" syncro 30 - 40mm Cheaply! Cheers Greg
Greg, i think 2wd springs at the front should do the trick. Greg E fitted some to his vehicle recently, maybe search back for the post
Gary

On 08/09/2010, at 8:06 PM, greg_navarro95 wrote:

Hi just wondering with my modified spare wheelcover underneath how I can lift my 15" syncro 30 - 40mm Cheaply! Cheers Greg

Greg, Yes I have fitted 2wd springs which is definitely the cheaper option. As far as I can work out the only down side is that they are a softer spring which could cause easier bottoming out. I fitted mine in conjunction with new old man emu shock absorbers which have a lot of compression damping ( the old boges did not seem to have any). I think if I had not fitted the shocks I would have a "diving" front end. I have attacked some gravel undulating roads at speed and am very pleased with the result. Of course buying shocks turns this cheap job into an $800 plus job but it will be the best money you ever spend on a syncro. The rear I made spacers out of that white chopping board material, about 20mm. I will measure the fender to hub height tonight and report back. Greg E
--- On Thu, 9/9/10, Gary Cookson <gary@twentytwentyone.net> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] syncro lift
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 9:51 AM

Greg, i think 2wd springs at the front should do the trick. Greg E fitted some to his vehicle recently, maybe search back for the post
Gary

Hi guys. Mine has quite a bit of ground clearance compared to theirs I have seen I suspect I also have 2WD springs at the front. I put in OME shocks all round when I got my Syncro in May this year. Old ones were very soft and worn out. The OME’s  have been great. I also have extra spacers at the back (20 mm) and it looks like they were made out of some sort of board as you can see on one side part of a straight edge.

The front can be a bit soft but with the OME shocks it is fine. I have not tried any really rough stuff yet but that will come.

Regards, Peter from Port

the trick is to use front 2WD doublecab springs, which are much stiffer. I have bought some but they are yet to be installed, so i cannot give first hand experience. I paid about euro 65 each in Germany.
People on German forums like this option.
Florian

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:

Greg, Yes I have fitted 2wd springs which is definitely the cheaper option. As far as I can work out the only down side is that they are a softer spring which could cause easier bottoming out. I fitted mine in conjunction with new old man emu shock absorbers which have a lot of compression damping ( the old boges did not seem to have any). I think if I had not fitted the shocks I would have a "diving" front end. I have attacked some gravel undulating roads at speed and am very pleased with the result. Of course buying shocks turns this cheap job into an $800 plus job but it will be the best money you ever spend on a syncro. The rear I made spacers out of that white chopping board material, about 20mm. I will measure the fender to hub height tonight and report back. Greg E

Gary

I have a set. Unfortunately, it got dumped on top of my other old springs from various other 2wd's. I can't tell the difference between one or the other.

BenT 

Sent from my extra springs 

On Sep 8, 2010, at 8:12 PM, Florian Speier <groups.florian@gmail.com> wrote:

the trick is to use front 2WD doublecab springs, which are much stiffer. I have bought some but they are yet to be installed, so i cannot give first hand experience. I paid about euro 65 each in Germany.
Florian

Gary

unfortunately they are impossible to find in aust

--- On Thu, 9/9/10, Florian Speier <groups.florian@gmail.com> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 1:12 PM

Florian

Gary

If you clean them you should find paint dots. green for h/duty. blue for standard. violet for syncro. I think the brickyard has the full list.

--- On Thu, 9/9/10, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:

To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 1:16 PM

I have a set. Unfortunately, it got dumped on top of my other old springs from various other 2wd's. I can't tell the difference between one or the other.

BenT 

Sent from my extra springs 

On Sep 8, 2010, at 8:12 PM, Florian Speier <groups.florian@gmail.com> wrote:

Florian

Gary

Clean?! Maybe I'll throw them in the shower when my girl in is there. 

;-)

BenT

On Sep 8, 2010, at 8:54 PM, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:

If you clean them you should find paint dots. green for h/duty. blue for standard. violet for syncro. I think the brickyard has the full list.

I’m almost sure one can source those single or double cab springes from Syncro Services or Bernd Jaeger. They would be easy to send by mail as long as they are clean, (better not get them from BenT !)

Hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg esposito
Sent: Thursday, 9 September 2010 1:50 PM

Florian

Gary

If you are going to import you might as well get new lift springs or have some made. Greg E

--- On Thu, 9/9/10, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] syncro lift
Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 3:54 PM

I’m almost sure one can source those single or double cab springes from Syncro Services or Bernd Jaeger. They would be easy to send by mail as long as they are clean, (better not get them from BenT !)

Hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg esposito

Florian

Gary

Greg fender to hub is 49cm front and 50cm rear. My bus has a very heavy 9,000 pound warn winch and bracket, still has the spare mounted in the syncro carrier up front. The tow bar is a 2 tonne rated monster. It is also a full camper (with a heavier than normal pop top). So basically you should get at least 50cm front and rear. Greg E

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, greg esposito <gregespo73@...> wrote:
>
> Greg, Yes I have fitted 2wd springs which is definitely the cheaper option. As far as I can work out the only down side is that they are a softer spring which could cause easier bottoming out. I fitted mine in conjunction with new old man emu shock absorbers which have a lot of compression damping ( the old boges did not seem to have any). I think if I had not fitted the shocks I would have a "diving" front end. I have attacked some gravel undulating roads at speed and am very pleased with the result. Of course buying shocks turns this cheap job into an $800 plus job but it will be the best money you ever spend on a syncro. The rear I made spacers out of that white chopping board material, about 20mm. I will measure the fender to hub height tonight and report back. Greg E
> --- On Thu, 9/9/10, Gary Cookson <gary@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: Gary Cookson <gary@...>
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] syncro lift
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 9:51 AM
>
>
> Â
>
>
>
> Greg, i think 2wd springs at the front should do the trick. Greg E fitted some to his vehicle recently, maybe search back for the post
> Gary
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 08/09/2010, at 8:06 PM, greg_navarro95 wrote:
>
>
> Â
>
> Hi just wondering with my modified spare wheelcover underneath how I can lift my 15" syncro 30 - 40mm Cheaply! Cheers Greg
>
Thanks for this info Greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "gregespo73" <gregespo73@...> wrote:
>
> Greg fender to hub is 49cm front and 50cm rear. My bus has a very heavy 9,000 pound warn winch and bracket, still has the spare mounted in the syncro carrier up front. The tow bar is a 2 tonne rated monster. It is also a full camper (with a heavier than normal pop top). So basically you should get at least 50cm front and rear. Greg E
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, greg esposito <gregespo73@> wrote:
> >
> > Greg, Yes I have fitted 2wd springs which is definitely the cheaper option. As far as I can work out the only down side is that they are a softer spring which could cause easier bottoming out. I fitted mine in conjunction with new old man emu shock absorbers which have a lot of compression damping ( the old boges did not seem to have any). I think if I had not fitted the shocks I would have a "diving" front end. I have attacked some gravel undulating roads at speed and am very pleased with the result. Of course buying shocks turns this cheap job into an $800 plus job but it will be the best money you ever spend on a syncro. The rear I made spacers out of that white chopping board material, about 20mm. I will measure the fender to hub height tonight and report back. Greg E
> > --- On Thu, 9/9/10, Gary Cookson <gary@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: Gary Cookson <gary@>
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] syncro lift
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 9:51 AM
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> >
> >
> > Greg, i think 2wd springs at the front should do the trick. Greg E fitted some to his vehicle recently, maybe search back for the post
> > Gary
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On 08/09/2010, at 8:06 PM, greg_navarro95 wrote:
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> > Hi just wondering with my modified spare wheelcover underneath how I can lift my 15" syncro 30 - 40mm Cheaply! Cheers Greg
> >
>
Hi Greg,

lifting the syncro that much on original or 2wd springs will give a lot of body roll. Best solution is more expensive but gives 40mm lift and better handling than original. That's the go westy springs and OME shocks.
Variable rate springs up front means you lose none of the original comfort, but stiffen up under load. Less roll and more control.
I think I measured about 290mm clearance unloaded.
Unstoppable.

Cheers,

Mark

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "greg_navarro95" <greg_navarro95@...> wrote:
>
> Hi just wondering with my modified spare wheelcover underneath how I can lift my 15" syncro 30 - 40mm Cheaply! Cheers Greg
>
Mark, Gregs question was "how - cheaply".I would have loved to get the go westy springs, purely a money issue, $20 verses $850. So many things I want to do, decoupler, wheels, tyres, custom tube bar, spare wheel carrier, paint job etc. All $1kish jobs i have to prioritise, or the minister of finance will have my guts for garters. Greg E

--- On Fri, 10/9/10, m.mullet <m.mullet@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: syncro lift
Received: Friday, 10 September, 2010, 9:52 AM

Hi Greg,

lifting the syncro that much on original or 2wd springs will give a lot of body roll. Best solution is more expensive but gives 40mm lift and better handling than original. That's the go westy springs and OME shocks.
Variable rate springs up front means you lose none of the original comfort, but stiffen up under load. Less roll and more control.
I think I measured about 290mm clearance unloaded.
Unstoppable.

Cheers,

Mark

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "greg_navarro95" <greg_navarro95@...> wrote:
>
>

Don’t know where you are Greg, but I had a set of heavy duty springs made by Lovell Springs www.lovells.com.au back in 1999 and they worked out well and are still OK. They probably have the specs still on record.

Cheers,

Tom

Sent: Thursday, 9 September 2010 5:42 PM

If you are going to import you might as well get new lift springs or have some made. Greg E

--- On Thu, 9/9/10, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

Received: Thursday, 9 September, 2010, 3:54 PM

Hartmut

Florian

Gary

Thanks for your thoughts everybody.

Have you got the Go Westy setup on your syncro now Mark, If so could I have a look when I am in Perth next?
And where are you measuring the 290mm from? Greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "m.mullet" <m.mullet@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> lifting the syncro that much on original or 2wd springs will give a lot of body roll. Best solution is more expensive but gives 40mm lift and better handling than original. That's the go westy springs and OME shocks.
> Variable rate springs up front means you lose none of the original comfort, but stiffen up under load. Less roll and more control.
> I think I measured about 290mm clearance unloaded.
> Unstoppable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "greg_navarro95" <greg_navarro95@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi just wondering with my modified spare wheelcover underneath how I can lift my 15" syncro 30 - 40mm Cheaply! Cheers Greg
> >
>
Hi Greg,just taken a tape measure to mine and I've 45cms front & 43 rear, so am quite keen to lift it using your method.One question I do have , is how does it handle in cross winds , better or worse than before? Thanx Eddie.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "gregespo73" <gregespo73@...> wrote:
>
> Greg fender to hub is 49cm front and 50cm rear. My bus has a very heavy 9,000 pound warn winch and bracket, still has the spare mounted in the syncro carrier up front. The tow bar is a 2 tonne rated monster. It is also a full camper (with a heavier than normal pop top). So basically you should get at least 50cm front and rear. Greg E
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, greg esposito <gregespo73@> wrote:
> >
> > Greg, Yes I have fitted 2wd springs which is definitely the cheaper option. As far as I can work out the only down side is that they are a softer spring which could cause easier bottoming out. I fitted mine in conjunction with new old man emu shock absorbers which have a lot of compression damping ( the old boges did not seem to have any). I think if I had not fitted the shocks I would have a "diving" front end. I have attacked some gravel undulating roads at speed and am very pleased with the result. Of course buying shocks turns this cheap job into an $800 plus job but it will be the best money you ever spend on a syncro. The rear I made spacers out of that white chopping board material, about 20mm. I will measure the fender to hub height tonight and report back. Greg E
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> >
> >
> > Greg, i think 2wd springs at the front should do the trick. Greg E fitted some to his vehicle recently, maybe search back for the post
> > Gary
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> >
>
Eddie, it is better than before. I think having good tyres, no play in the suspension or steering and good shock absorbers is the key to stabilise a t3. The old 1.9 2wd I had did not tick any of these boxes and I was regularly holding the steering wheel a 1/4 of a turn to compensate for the high winds on the plains in Spain. Greg.E
P.S. your welcome to have a drive next time we catch up.

--- On Fri, 10/9/10, bergodaz <bergodaz@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: syncro lift
Received: Friday, 10 September, 2010, 9:16 PM

Hi Greg,just taken a tape measure to mine and I've 45cms front & 43 rear, so am quite keen to lift it using your method.One question I do have , is how does it handle in cross winds , better or worse than before? Thanx Eddie.

>
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
> >
> > Gary
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> >
>

The easiest way to improve handling in crosswinds is via choice of tyres. Tyres properly rated for the weigh of a Syncro T3 should have strong enough sidewalls.

Rear-engined vehicles such as the T3 do not have enough weight over the front wheels. That appears to be the main culprit for poor handling in crosswinds. This characteristic can be somewhat altered by lifting the rear of the vehicle. The forward leaning 'rake' transfers weigh forward over the front tyres. Of course, this is not exactly desirable in a Syncro as it reduces your effective approach angle.

Stiffer springs help too. But if your tyres are mushy, the stiff springs just makes things worse.

Cheers,

BenT
>