Syncro radiaor

Hi there - I'm swapping over my radiator in my Syncro.
Upon opening box from Tooley Imports the radiator looks different.

Do the Syncro radiators look different
My old one looked like a bar n plate one where as the new one is tube and fin.

Any one had experrience with the tub n fin one?
I wonder if its less of a radiator.
Hamish
Hamish,

Looks like they gave you one of those 30mm width radiators which are inadequate for a syncro.

The core needs to be about 45mm - 50mm thick all the way through.

Cheers,

Skot

On 14/01/2013 12:36 PM, Hamish Dobson wrote:

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

Phill just went through all this with tooleys. Greg E

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 14 January 2013 1:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro radiaor

Hamish, Looks like they gave you one of those 30mm width radiators which are inadequate for a syncro. The core needs to be about 45mm - 50mm thick all the way through. Cheers, Skot
On 14/01/2013 12:36 PM, Hamish Dobson wrote:

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

Good timing Hamish

I was about to post re my similar experience with new radiator.
Having replaced both heads,ALL hoses and water pump prior to a 16000k trip around Aus, on return found gunk in the system.It appeared to be from an previous attempt to seal leaks in the old heads with Radweld. Bad decision.
Figuring that the radiator was probably still full of the stuff I went to Tooleys for a new one.
Like you I got a pathetic anaemic looking object with a 35 mm core weighing nothing for $340.
Not happy, I rang around and found the correct 45mm aluminium Behr unit for $450 from my local radiator shop.(Wyong Radiators ex Newcastle next day).
Since installing, the AirCon works brilliantly spewing out 8 degrees of cold air and the temp needle now sits to the left of centre regardless of weather.
Additionaly the fan does not immediately cut in with the air/con on.
Got $45 back from recyclers for the old copper core.

Good luck Graham

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:24 PM

Hamish, Looks like they gave you one of those 30mm width radiators which are inadequate for a syncro. The core needs to be about 45mm - 50mm thick all the way through. Cheers, Skot On 14/01/2013 12:36 PM, Hamish Dobson wrote:

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

Graham,

What recyclers did you go to?

Cheers,

Skot

On 14/01/2013 1:54 PM, Graham Adams wrote:

Good timing Hamish
Having replaced both heads,ALL hoses and water pump prior to a 16000k trip around Aus, on return found gunk in the system.It appeared to be from an previous attempt to seal leaks in the old heads with Radweld. Bad decision.
Figuring that the radiator was probably still full of the stuff I went to Tooleys for a new one.
Like you I got a pathetic anaemic looking object with a 35 mm core weighing nothing for $340.
Not happy, I rang around and found the correct 45mm aluminium Behr unit for $450 from my local radiator shop.(Wyong Radiators ex Newcastle next day).
Since installing, the AirCon works brilliantly spewing out 8 degrees of cold air and the temp needle now sits to the left of centre regardless of weather.
Good luck Graham

Hamish, Looks like they gave you one of those 30mm width radiators which are inadequate for a syncro. The core needs to be about 45mm - 50mm thick all the way through. Cheers, Skot On 14/01/2013 12:36 PM, Hamish Dobson wrote:

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Scott

One Steel at Lisarow  The Syncro weighed in at 2000 kgs neat

Cheers Graham

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:25 PM

Graham,

What recyclers did you go to?

Cheers,

Skot

On 14/01/2013 1:54 PM, Graham Adams wrote:

Good timing Hamish

Having replaced both heads,ALL hoses and water pump prior to a 16000k trip around Aus, on return found gunk in the system.It appeared to be from an previous attempt to seal leaks in the old heads with Radweld. Bad decision.

Good luck Graham

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

Graham, Rad weld is always a bad idea, unless you are in the middle of the Simpson with no other options. Talk about the cheapest weigh bridge in town, they weigh your car for you and GIVE you money, love it. Wasn't the old rad aluminum with plasic tanks? Greg E

Sent: Monday, 14 January 2013 2:43 PM

Hi Scott

Cheers Graham

Graham, What recyclers did you go to? Cheers, Skot On 14/01/2013 1:54 PM, Graham Adams wrote:

Good timing Hamish

Good luck Graham

Hi there - I'm swapping over my radiator in my Syncro. Upon opening box from Tooley Imports the radiator looks different. Do the Syncro radiators look different My old one looked like a bar n plate one where as the new one is tube and fin. Any one had experrience with the tub n fin one? I wonder if its less of a radiator. Hamish

Sent from my iPhone
Thats what mine is I think. Definitely has plastic tanks either side and the core looks very aluminium.

Maybe they have a dopey weigh bridge guy??

Cheers,

Skot

On 14/01/2013 3:00 PM, greg esposito wrote:
Graham, Rad weld is always a bad idea, unless you are in the middle of the Simpson with no other options. Talk about the cheapest weigh bridge in town, they weigh your car for you and GIVE you money, love it. Wasn't the old rad aluminum with plasic tanks? Greg E

Hi Scott
One Steel at Lisarow The Syncro weighed in at 2000 kgs neat
Cheers Graham

Graham, What recyclers did you go to? Cheers, Skot On 14/01/2013 1:54 PM, Graham Adams wrote:

Good timing Hamish
Having replaced both heads,ALL hoses and water pump prior to a 16000k trip around Aus, on return found gunk in the system.It appeared to be from an previous attempt to seal leaks in the old heads with Radweld. Bad decision.
Good luck Graham

Hi there - I'm swapping over my radiator in my Syncro. Upon opening box from Tooley Imports the radiator looks different. Do the Syncro radiators look different My old one looked like a bar n plate one where as the new one is tube and fin. Any one had experrience with the tub n fin one? I wonder if its less of a radiator. Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

The first 2 radiators were copper and were very heavy, now on my 3rd radiator and being aluminium with plastic tanks seem to be  a marked improvement on the copper ones. Easier to fit to.
Just make sure that the core itself is at least 45mm.I believe Behr is a well respected brand.

Cheers Graham

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 3:43 PM

Thats what mine is I think. Definitely has plastic tanks either side and the core looks very aluminium.

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Scott

Cheers Graham

Good timing Hamish

Good luck Graham

Sent from my iPhone

the only vanagon ( T3 ) van that I know of that uses an all-metal radiator is the 83 diesel vanagon ..
very heavy rad,
doesn't cool that well compared to the later aluminum fins/plastic tank rad of later T3's.

I have not run into a core depth issue ..I just order a rad for a 91 syncro Vanagon ..
and they work great.
stay cool down there !
scott
www.turbovans.com

On 1/13/2013 9:18 PM, Graham Adams wrote:

The first 2 radiators were copper and were very heavy, now on my 3rd radiator and being aluminium with plastic tanks seem to be a marked improvement on the copper ones. Easier to fit to.
Just make sure that the core itself is at least 45mm.I believe Behr is a well respected brand.
Cheers Graham
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 3:43 PM

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Scott
One Steel at Lisarow The Syncro weighed in at 2000 kgs neat
Cheers Graham

Good timing Hamish
Good luck Graham

Sent from my iPhone

Hey dont get  me wrong Richard at tooleys is a honest good bloke. For over 15 years ive bought stuff from him always at the best price. 2 years ago I ordered a new radiator from him and I got exactly what I wanted being a stock aluminum thick unit. This time round I didn't / he was happy to help resolve it. 
His advice to me was that the old ones are obsolete. So If u can score one then DOSO! I picked up the last one today from muck motors!!! Lucky.

Ohh by the way replacing every coolant and heater hose is a much bigger job than I expected!

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

On 14/01/2013, at 12:54 PM, "Graham Adams" <g.adams2@bigpond.com> wrote:

Good timing Hamish

Good luck Graham

Hamish

Sent from my iPhone

I am a trifle wary of the ‘obsolete’ explanation.  The cooling capacity of the radiator is matched to the duty cycle of the engine that it is cooling.  If they weren’t, all vehicles, regardless of engine size, would have single-row radiator cores.    

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hamish Dobson
Sent: 14 January 2013 21:39
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro radiator

Hey dont get  me wrong Richard at tooleys is a honest good bloke. For over 15 years ive bought stuff from him always at the best price. 2 years ago I ordered a new radiator from him and I got exactly what I wanted being a stock aluminum thick unit. This time round I didn't / he was happy to help resolve it. 

His advice to me was that the old ones are obsolete. So If u can score one then DOSO! I picked up the last one today from muck motors!!! Lucky.

Ohh by the way replacing every coolant and heater hose is a much bigger job than I expected!

Hamish

I find obsolete hard to believe on that one too. Gowesty and vancafe are selling behr units ending in E. Hard to believe they have the last stocks. Also our vans are at an age that they will need a radiator now if they have not had one yet. Behr would know this and continue production for some years yet I would speculate. Greg E

Sent: Monday, 14 January 2013 9:46 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro radiator

I am a trifle wary of the ‘obsolete’ explanation.  The cooling capacity of the radiator is matched to the duty cycle of the engine that it is cooling.  If they weren’t, all vehicles, regardless of engine size, would have single-row radiator cores.    
Les
From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hamish Dobson

Hamish

Hey Guys
Radiators are constructed in many forms some terms
Fins per inch. Rows etc are all about surface area to dump the heat and fin thickness is also a factor in durability and drawing the heat from the coolant, salt can erode the core in radiators without any obvious failing of the fining however the mass is reduced therefore less performance
Copper vs aluminum usually the Aluminum is preferred in later model cars for different reasons raw material price weight & durability usually associated with average life expectancy of the vehicle and warranty for aftermarket items
Thermo fans single speed two speed dia. push or pull depending on the mounting position I have seen these connected the wrong way causing opposite rotation = engine failure in minutes
Orings and top and bottom plastic tanks cracking are quite common on aluminum cored radiators replaceable on some brands depending on supply. This can be caused by fluctuating temperature = pressure change too often = cracked tanks & blowen orings
My two bobs worth on radiators..............Best Regards Pete

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

I am a trifle wary of the ‘obsolete’ explanation. The cooling capacity of the radiator is matched to the duty cycle of the engine that it is cooling. If they weren’t, all vehicles, regardless of engine size, would have single-row radiator cores.

Les

Hey dont get me wrong Richard at tooleys is a honest good bloke. For over 15 years ive bought stuff from him always at the best price. 2 years ago I ordered a new radiator from him and I got exactly what I wanted being a stock aluminum thick unit. This time round I didn't / he was happy to help resolve it.

Hamish

The Tooleys radiator is the smaller European radiator which is not designed for Australia.

> Hamish Dobson <dobson_hamish@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi there - I'm swapping over my radiator in my Syncro.
> Upon opening box from Tooley Imports the radiator looks different.
>
> Do the Syncro radiators look different
> My old one looked like a bar n plate one where as the new one is tube
> and fin.
>
> Any one had experrience with the tub n fin one?
> I wonder if its less of a radiator.
> Hamish
They are still available from Hella/Behr

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> I am a trifle wary of the 'obsolete' explanation. The cooling capacity
> of
> the radiator is matched to the duty cycle of the engine that it is
> cooling.
> If they weren't, all vehicles, regardless of engine size, would have
> single-row radiator cores.
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hamish Dobson
> Sent: 14 January 2013 21:39
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Syncro radiator
>
>
>
> Hey don't get me wrong Richard at tooleys is a honest good bloke. For
> over
> 15 years ive bought stuff from him always at the best price. 2 years ago
> I
> ordered a new radiator from him and I got exactly what I wanted being a
> stock aluminum thick unit. This time round I didn't / he was happy to
> help
> resolve it.
>
> His advice to me was that the old ones are obsolete. So If u can score
> one
> then DOSO! I picked up the last one today from muck motors!!! Lucky.
>
>
>
> Ohh by the way replacing every coolant and heater hose is a much bigger
> job
> than I expected!
>
>
>
> Hamish