[Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows

Les,
I have just looked at a Trakka Multivan (1989) and the sliding windows are Kingsleys.

And yes the rubbers are sucked in on the corners.

Phill
Phill,

The problem certainly seems endemic to this brand.  I occasionally see a Caravelle not far from where I live.  If I can catch up with the owner, I can very quickly measure the corner radius (I have made some card templates) and compare it with mine. 

It is possible to make up a mould to correct the corner radius.  It will take some time and effort but should correct it.  There aren't many alternatives.   One is to fill behind the seal to take up the slack but that could be a bit hit and miss.  The last alternative is to try to find some second-hand genuine windows.  I believe that they are quite pricey.  Or perhaps fit fixed glass until I can work something out.

Les

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:26 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows

Les,
I have just looked at a Trakka Multivan (1989) and the sliding windows are Kingsleys.

Phill

Les,

I can make a template and mail it to you. It would me much cheaper than shipping a real (original) window -- which are cheap here.

BenT

On 8/15/08, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
Phill,

The problem certainly seems endemic to this brand.  I occasionally see a Caravelle not far from where I live.  If I can catch up with the owner, I can very quickly measure the corner radius (I have made some card templates) and compare it with mine. 

It is possible to make up a mould to correct the corner radius.  It will take some time and effort but should correct it.  There aren't many alternatives.   One is to fill behind the seal to take up the slack but that could be a bit hit and miss.  The last alternative is to try to find some second-hand genuine windows.  I believe that they are quite pricey.  Or perhaps fit fixed glass until I can work something out.

Les

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows

Les,

Phill

--
BenT
Les,
The easiest way would be to measure a fixed glass as it is more 2 dimensional if you know what I mean. I have one somewhere, but I cannot find it.

Phill

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> Phill,
>
> The problem certainly seems endemic to this brand. I occasionally see a
> Caravelle not far from where I live. If I can catch up with the owner,
> I can very quickly measure the corner radius (I have made some card
> templates) and compare it with mine.
>
> It is possible to make up a mould to correct the corner radius. It will
> take some time and effort but should correct it. There aren't many
> alternatives. One is to fill behind the seal to take up the slack but
> that could be a bit hit and miss. The last alternative is to try to
> find some second-hand genuine windows. I believe that they are quite
> pricey. Or perhaps fit fixed glass until I can work something out.
>
> Les
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: plander@optusnet.com.au
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:26 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows
>
>
> Les,
> I have just looked at a Trakka Multivan (1989) and the sliding windows
> are Kingsleys.
>
> And yes the rubbers are sucked in on the corners.
>
> Phill
>
>
>
>
Ben,

That's kind of you.  The key dimension is the corner radius of the vertical flange that goes into the seal. 

Next best is the radius of the rib on the outside of the frame as it is installed in the vehicle.  The two radii would be concentric, so the radius of the rib can be extrapolated to the radius of the vertical flange if the overall depth/length is know. 

However, I don't know for sure if the overall depth/length of this aftermarket window is the same as the original VW slider.  If anyone has a loose fixed glass and could give me the overall depth/length, I would know where I was starting from.  Needless to say, such a loose fixed glass would also give me the all important corner radius!

Les

Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows

Les,

I can make a template and mail it to you. It would me much cheaper than shipping a real (original) window -- which are cheap here.

BenT

On 8/15/08, Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:
Phill,

Les

Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Trakka Windows

Les,

Phill

--
BenT

Phill,

While I was replying to Ben, your message came in.  The fixed glass dimensions will certainly give me all the information that I need.  Has anyone else got a loose one?

Les
Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows

Les,
The easiest way would be to measure a fixed glass as it is more 2 dimensional if you know what I mean. I have one somewhere, but I cannot find it.

Phill

> Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:
>
> Phill,
>
> The problem certainly seems endemic to this brand. I occasionally see a
> Caravelle not far from where I live. If I can catch up with the owner,
> I can very quickly measure the corner radius (I have made some card
> templates) and compare it with mine.
>
> It is possible to make up a mould to correct the corner radius. It will
> take some time and effort but should correct it. There aren't many
> alternatives. One is to fill behind the seal to take up the slack but
> that could be a bit hit and miss. The last alternative is to try to
> find some second-hand genuine windows. I believe that they are quite
> pricey. Or perhaps fit fixed glass until I can work something out.
>
> Les
>
>
> From: plander@optusnet. com.au
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 1:26 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Trakka Windows
>
>
> Les,
> I have just looked at a Trakka Multivan (1989) and the sliding windows
> are Kingsleys.
>
> And yes the rubbers are sucked in on the corners.
>
> Phill
>
>
>
>

On 8/15/08, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
Ben,

That's kind of you.  The key dimension is the corner radius of the vertical flange that goes into the seal. 

Next best is the radius of the rib on the outside of the frame as it is installed in the vehicle.  The two radii would be concentric, so the radius of the rib can be extrapolated to the radius of the vertical flange if the overall depth/length is know. 

However, I don't know for sure if the overall depth/length of this aftermarket window is the same as the original VW slider.  If anyone has a loose fixed glass and could give me the overall depth/length, I would know where I was starting from.  Needless to say, such a loose fixed glass would also give me the all important corner radius!

Les

Les,

Alas, fixed glass windows are rare her except for the ones that got from D to E pillar. We got those in two flavors. One is just plain glass the shape of the opening. The other is slightly shorter with a plastic flow through vent in the rear. If you can't get the dimensions locally, let me know and I'll bring out the trusty tracing pencil. If you just want the corners, it will be a very small piece of paper.

Cheers,

Ben
Ben,

Thanks for that.  I will keep you posted and call upon your offer if I can't get the information locally.

Les

Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:35 PM

Ben,

Les

Les,

Alas, fixed glass windows are rare her except for the ones that got from D to E pillar. We got those in two flavors. One is just plain glass the shape of the opening. The other is slightly shorter with a plastic flow through vent in the rear. If you can't get the dimensions locally, let me know and I'll bring out the trusty tracing pencil. If you just want the corners, it will be a very small piece of paper.

Cheers,

Ben

Dear Les,

I had to replace the sliding window in the sliding door of my (non Trakka) camper after someone decided to gain entry with a brick. That was while I was in W.A. When I returned I sought to replace the temporary perspex that got me home and couldn't find a wrecker or  automotive glass supplier that could help other than by getting in a genuine VW one at from memory about $200. I baulked at the price and whether mine was a VW sliding window.I then tried an ordinary general household glass supply shop near me and he came out with a radius gauge worked out the corner arcs and ordered in an appropriate sheet of toughened glass to the measurements as he could not cut it.Again from memory it cost me $60.
If I look at my frame there are no markings as I think the brand sticker disappeared with the original glass. My deluxe van has the original fixed VW  window set in rubber on the driver's
side whereas I think this is where you have your sliding window in a frame. Interestingly my frame in the sliding door also exhibits some "sucking in" but no leaking/rust problems. On my frame the outer part of the frame would have to follow the door window profile more closely to avoid the sucking in rather than the window glass pushing it out.

All the above is a long way of saying that you may be able to get a local glass supplier (or mine in Nicholson St Nth Carlton) with an appropriate gauge to measure what you want and fix you up at reasonable cost.

Good luck and contact me if I can help further.

Cheers
Roger

--- On Sat, 16/8/08, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Saturday, 16 August, 2008, 3:58 PM

Ben,

Thanks for that.  I will keep you posted and call upon your offer if I can't get the information locally.

Les

Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Trakka Windows

Ben,

Les

Les,

Cheers,

Ben

Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.
Les I have a '89 caravelle gl syncro with what i think are original sliding side windows and can happily trace/measure up or offer you/someone else to do same if useful around Sydney's eastern suburbs. If former you'll have to give me precise instructions. I'm not quite sure how to access under the seal to get you the precision you need.

Cheers
Nigel

--- On Sun, 8/17/08, Roger Bell <bellrmit@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> From: Roger Bell <bellrmit@yahoo.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows
> Date: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 9:57 AM
> Dear Les,
>
> I had to replace the sliding window in the sliding door
> of my (non Trakka) camper after someone decided to gain
> entry with a brick. That was while I was in W.A. When I
> returned I sought to replace the temporary perspex that got
> me home and couldn't find a wrecker or automotive
> glass supplier that could help other than by getting in a
> genuine VW one at from memory about $200. I baulked at the
> price and whether mine was a VW sliding window.I then tried
> an ordinary general household glass supply shop near me and
> he came out with a radius gauge worked out the corner arcs
> and ordered in an appropriate sheet of toughened glass to
> the measurements as he could not cut it.Again from memory it
> cost me $60.
> If I look at my frame there are no markings as I think the
> brand sticker disappeared with the original glass. My
> deluxe van has the original fixed VW window set in rubber
> on the driver's
> side whereas I think this is where you have your sliding
> window in a frame. Interestingly my frame in the sliding
> door also exhibits some "sucking in" but no
> leaking/rust problems. On my frame the outer part of the
> frame would have to follow the door window profile more
> closely to avoid the sucking in rather than the window
> glass pushing it out.
>
> All the above is a long way of saying that you may be able
> to get a local glass supplier (or mine in Nicholson St Nth
> Carlton) with an appropriate gauge to measure what you want
> and fix you up at reasonable cost.
>
> Good luck and contact me if I can help further.
>
> Cheers
> Roger
>
>
> --- On Sat, 16/8/08, Les Harris
> <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> From: Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka Windows
> Received: Saturday, 16 August, 2008, 3:58 PM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Ben,
>
> Thanks for that. I will keep you posted and call upon
> your offer if I can't get the information locally.
>
> Les
>
>
> From: BenT Syncro
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:35 PM
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Trakka Windows
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On 8/15/08, Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome.
> com.au> wrote:
>
>
> Ben,
>
> That's kind of you. The key dimension is the corner
> radius of the vertical flange that goes into the seal.
>
> Next best is the radius of the rib on the outside of the
> frame as it is installed in the vehicle. The two radii
> would be concentric, so the radius of the rib can be
> extrapolated to the radius of the vertical flange if the
> overall depth/length is know.
>
> However, I don't know for sure if the overall
> depth/length of this aftermarket window is the same as the
> original VW slider. If anyone has a loose fixed glass and
> could give me the overall depth/length, I would know where I
> was starting from. Needless to say, such a loose fixed
> glass would also give me the all important corner radius!
>
> Les
>
>
> Les,
>
> Alas, fixed glass windows are rare her except for the ones
> that got from D to E pillar. We got those in two flavors.
> One is just plain glass the shape of the opening. The other
> is slightly shorter with a plastic flow through vent in the
> rear. If you can't get the dimensions locally, let me
> know and I'll bring out the trusty tracing pencil. If
> you just want the corners, it will be a very small piece of
> paper.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7.
> http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset

Roger,

The be certain of the dimensions of the original glass or sliding window, I need two measurements.  The first is the length and depth of either the plain glass or the flange of the sliding window.  The second is the radius of either the corner of the glass or the flange.  I have my (local) sliding window out of the vehicle at the moment and I have taken these measurements.  Now I need to compare these dimensions with a genuine sliding window.

I am looking for a Caravelle with a genuine sliding window at the moment because I can measure the exposed (horizontal) flange and make an extrapolation that should get near the corner radius value.

Les

Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:57 PM

Dear Les,

I had to replace the sliding window in the sliding door of my (non Trakka) camper after someone decided to gain entry with a brick. That was while I was in W.A. When I returned I sought to replace the temporary perspex that got me home and couldn't find a wrecker or  automotive glass supplier that could help other than by getting in a genuine VW one at from memory about $200. I baulked at the price and whether mine was a VW sliding window.I then tried an ordinary general household glass supply shop near me and he came out with a radius gauge worked out the corner arcs and ordered in an appropriate sheet of toughened glass to the measurements as he could not cut it.Again from memory it cost me $60.
If I look at my frame there are no markings as I think the brand sticker disappeared with the original glass. My deluxe van has the original fixed VW  window set in rubber on the driver's
side whereas I think this is where you have your sliding window in a frame. Interestingly my frame in the sliding door also exhibits some "sucking in" but no leaking/rust problems. On my frame the outer part of the frame would have to follow the door window profile more closely to avoid the sucking in rather than the window glass pushing it out.

All the above is a long way of saying that you may be able to get a local glass supplier (or mine in Nicholson St Nth Carlton) with an appropriate gauge to measure what you want and fix you up at reasonable cost.

Good luck and contact me if I can help further.

Cheers
Roger

Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

Nigel,

The Caravelle should have the genuine sliding window.  Phill mentions that they all had a silver horizontal flange on the outside, whereas the local was black.  It isn't possible to get under the seal to make a measurement but it is possible to measure the radius of the outside horizontal flange and make an extrapolation.

If I can't find a Caravelle locally, I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks

Les

Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 11:57 AM

Les I have a '89 caravelle gl syncro with what i think are original sliding side windows and can happily trace/measure up or offer you/someone else to do same if useful around Sydney's eastern suburbs. If former you'll have to give me precise instructions. I'm not quite sure how to access under the seal to get you the precision you need.

Cheers
Nigel

Les,
I have just added some photos of the side window I had put in about 12 years ago.The local
manufacturer (Adelaide) got around the different radius problem by pop riveting an
additional piece of aluminium to the new aluminium window frame. One of the rivets is
visible while the other two are hidden under the seal. It looks a little rough in the photo, but
this is the first time I have noticed it in 12 years. From a distance(main window shot) you cant
see it at all. I only noticed it as I wondered why my windows had not suffered from the same
fate as yours. They have not leaked or sunken at all.
Nick,

That's solid gold information!!  Hard to say what the window is in terms of who made it but it's a clear solution to a clearly recognized problem.  Phill might know if anyone other than Kingsley made an aftermarket side sliding window.

I was considering making a mould of a filler piece but this is a far simpler solution and quite obviously works.

Is this a panel van (no side windows originally fitted) or a window van?

Thanks for the pics.

Les

Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 12:52 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Trakka Windows

Les,

I have just added some photos of the side window I had put in about 12 years ago.  The local manufacturer (Adelaide) got around the different radius problem by pop riveting an additional piece of aluminium to the new aluminium window frame.  One of the rivets is visible while the other two are hidden under the seal.  It looks a little rough in the photo, but this is the first time I have noticed it in 12 years.  From a distance (main window shot) you cant see it at all.  I only noticed it as I wondered why my windows had not suffered from the same fate as yours. They have not leaked or sunken at all.

Les, It is from an ex Telstra Panel Van. I didnt get a window put in the
other side as I was a little phobic about cutting and fabricating a
suitable internal panel to suit so I only have the one side window.

Nick.

Nicholas Bellgrove
Lecturer - Photography
TAFE SA
Croydon Campus
Goodall Avenue
Croydon Park SA 5008
Australia
Ph +61 8 8204 0993
Fx +61 8 8345 4534
>>> "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> 18/08/08 1:04 PM >>>
Nick,

That's solid gold information!! Hard to say what the window is in terms
of who made it but it's a clear solution to a clearly recognized
problem. Phill might know if anyone other than Kingsley made an
aftermarket side sliding window.

I was considering making a mould of a filler piece but this is a far
simpler solution and quite obviously works.

Is this a panel van (no side windows originally fitted) or a window van?

Thanks for the pics.

Les

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 12:52 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Trakka Windows

Les,

I have just added some photos of the side window I had put in about 12
years ago. The local manufacturer (Adelaide) got around the different
radius problem by pop riveting an additional piece of aluminium to the
new aluminium window frame. One of the rivets is visible while the
other two are hidden under the seal. It looks a little rough in the
photo, but this is the first time I have noticed it in 12 years. From a
distance (main window shot) you cant see it at all. I only noticed it
as I wondered why my windows had not suffered from the same fate as
yours. They have not leaked or sunken at all.