Temp gauge sender

Could someone explain how the temp gauge sender on the thermostat causes the problem that has been the subject of discussion?
Is a spare parts list / book available for the Syncro?
I am trying to build up a stock of parts to keep the Syncro running when problems arise on my intended trip to the north of WA. Would members care to suggest a list of spares to carry?
I have had my Syncro for 12 years and through this site I am learning all sorts of information about my vehicle I didn't know before.

Regards

Jon E 
the temperature unit is for the emc unit its resistance reading varies with the sensed temperature which affects the fuel mixture ie cold start to hot start when it fails the resistance is outside the operating design range of the emc unit and that is why the stalling, over rich fuel mix happens,
the sensor is a different one to a 2 wheel drive vw
regards
bob dale 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 12:14 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Temp gauge sender

Could someone explain how the temp gauge sender on the thermostat causes the problem that has been the subject of discussion?
I am trying to build up a stock of parts to keep the Syncro running when problems arise on my intended trip to the north of WA. Would members care to suggest a list of spares to carry?
I have had my Syncro for 12 years and through this site I am learning all sorts of information about my vehicle I didn't know before.

Regards

Jon E 

Thankyou for that explanation Bob. I cannot find any reference to a different sensor for 4WD in my Bentley VW manual?

Regards

Jon E

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Temp gauge sender

the temperature unit is for the emc unit its resistance reading varies with the sensed temperature which affects the fuel mixture ie cold start to hot start when it fails the resistance is outside the operating design range of the emc unit and that is why the stalling, over rich fuel mix happens,
regards
bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

joe
the only way i found out about is when i was having the problem, after the nrma gave up i rang mullers in sydney and described the problem he stated that it sounds like the temp sender so i drove over in another car and got one magic but i do not know if there was a defective batch but the symptoms returned after 6 months or so changed again fixed it i always carry a spare, this unit has been in for 4-5 years.
as far as spares a full set of belts is one that i would have with me maybe a spare dist cap and rotor i think that one really has to make sure that all the hoses are servicable covers on cv joints are intact etc
bob
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:51 PM

Thankyou for that explanation Bob. I cannot find any reference to a different sensor for 4WD in my Bentley VW manual?

Regards

Jon E

regards
bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

Jon,

I can help. Send me an email to plander@optusnet.com.au

Phill

> Jon Elliott <ellcart44@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> Could someone explain how the temp gauge sender on the thermostat causes
> the problem that has been the subject of discussion?
> Is a spare parts list / book available for the Syncro?
> I am trying to build up a stock of parts to keep the Syncro running when
> problems arise on my intended trip to the north of WA.��Would members
> care to suggest a list of��spares to carry?
> I have had my Syncro for 12 years and through this site I am learning
> all sorts of information��about my vehicle I didn't know before.
> ��
> Regards
> ��
> Jon E��
Spares- Ignition switch, Hall sender, alt belt, cv joint, tie wire, gaffa tape, 12v wire + connectors, fuses. I would want to be sure my cv joints, belts and cooling hoses are A1 before I leave, even if that means removing and refitting. Also oil change for engine, gearbox and diff. Just to get you started i am sure there will be more suggestions. Greg E

Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 2:08 PM

joe
the only way i found out about is when i was having the problem, after the nrma gave up i rang mullers in sydney and described the problem he stated that it sounds like the temp sender so i drove over in another car and got one magic but i do not know if there was a defective batch but the symptoms returned after 6 months or so changed again fixed it i always carry a spare, this unit has been in for 4-5 years.
as far as spares a full set of belts is one that i would have with me maybe a spare dist cap and rotor i think that one really has to make sure that all the hoses are servicable covers on cv joints are intact etc
bob

Regards

Jon E

regards
bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

Please don’t forget to take a screw cap for the coolant expansion tank.... Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg esposito
Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 2:28 PM

Spares- Ignition switch, Hall sender, alt belt, cv joint, tie wire, gaffa tape, 12v wire + connectors, fuses. I would want to be sure my cv joints, belts and cooling hoses are A1 before I leave, even if that means removing and refitting. Also oil change for engine, gearbox and diff. Just to get you started i am sure there will be more suggestions. Greg E

joe

bob

Regards

Jon E

regards

bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

hi.
you should know there are  two temp sensors in the thermostat housing ( not the t-stat itself )
one is for the temp gauge in the dash. ( the single contact one )

the other one...two contacts with a connector plug ..talks to the ecu, so the ecu knows coolant temp.
That is an important input.
If temp sensor is wonky...it can run rich ..or lean ..though that doesn't seem to happen.
If contact to it gets dodgy, or intermittent ..
that can keep the engine from starting easily ..
or running right.
and it can intermittent. I have seen them where they were fine cold..
but way off when hot.
I have worked on a running issue a lot, when all along it was connection at that ecu temp sensor.

( ideally, I would love to have a default value you just switch in , even while driving, as back up or test device. ) .
my list of spare parts I carry ....
how much time have you got ?

surely and ecu, ( all used parts are 'known good and tested units )
temp sensor II ( the ecu one )
thermostat
distributor.
air flow meter.
cap, rotor and wires.
fuel pump
fuel filter or two
main and fuel pump relays
throttle body with properly working idle contact switch on it.
valve cover gaskets.
spare clutch slave cylinder
various floods ....coolant, oil, oil filter or two, brake fluid, possibly some gear oil
 a spare new CV joint for the rear.
a short outer stub axle to run in front if an axle  blows out there.

more than that yet.
a tail light bulb or two .
and especially ever component ..here's another one ..oxygen sensor ..
every component that is involved with the running of the engine ..

spare throttle cable
particularly parts that can keep you from being able to keep moving.

perhaps not much in the way of brake parts..you can often fake it with the brakes not working completely ..so not much in the way of spares there..but all the running stuff that you'd be in a real pickle without ..those for sure.

oh...and injector or two.
some spare fuel hose and clamps.
maybe a starter, but those are heavy to carry and you can keep moving by push starting and being careful where you shut off if you have to.

ditto on clutch ..you can keep moving even if you can't release the clutch normally with the clutch pedal ..
you can fake it , with difficulty ..
but you can keep moving with a clutch that will not disengage.
I happen to have a small factory new 65 amp alternator..I take that on trips as a back up .

belts of course ,
some hoses..or a box of miscellaneous hose bits and clamps.

I also believe in not trying too too hard to be really exact about which spare parts.
Chances are if you brought it ..that's not the one you need.

so I tend to bring bailing wire, tape, vice grips...
and 'patch'  stuff like that too. 

surely a spare air filter ..even two fuel filters if you expect bad fuel at all.

the list can go on forever..
but I do feel a whole lot better with a spare known good example of things like distributor , air flow meter, and ecu.
 I just had bad cutting out on a 2.1 wbxr engine ..tried another distributor .
got even worse.....with nice backfiring.
tried another distributor ..
still cut out. ( turn the key off and back on real fast, and she' do again. )
put in another ECU .
now she's running fine.
 (tach would drop to zero when it cut out, pointing to ignition ) .
so ..apparently........intermittent ignition caused by a bad ecu.

and don't forget..
a spare ignition switch, the electrical part..
so small, not expensive, underbuilt, and they can act up easily.
it's silly not to carry one.
you can even just plug it into the harness and operate it with a screwdriver .
gotta have one of those along.

Scott
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:14 PM

Regards

Jon E 

re

it is different than the one used in a 2WD  2.1 waterboxer vanagon, yes

you guys probably don't have 1.9 waterboxer 2WD vanagons ..but here at least,
the use the same two contact, blue body, screw in ecu temp sensor as a syncro.
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:54 PM

regards
bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

ditto on that !
perhaps even a spare coolant pressure bottle and the level sensor that screws into it.

depending on what quality you get of those ..
being plastic ...they can break or split or leak too easily.
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 12:23 AM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Temp gauge sender

Please don’t forget to take a screw cap for the  coolant expansion tank.... Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg esposito
Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 2:28 PM

joe

bob

Regards

Jon E

regards

bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

appears to be some confusion ..the subject line says 'temp gauge sender' ..
and that sender can not affect running of the engine.

however it is very common for the ECU TEMP SENDER ..
aka 'temp sensor II' to act up.
and that is the one I suspect has been changed, not 'temp gauge sender.'

might make it harder for some people to figure out what the deal is.

as I wrote earlier..
I'd love to have the ability to switch in a default value ..
for testing or self-rescue.

pretty rare for a coil to go bad .
and on heavy side .
I just did a new hall sender, and a new coil  ( and igniter ..but it was on a 1.9 where the igniter is separate and not part of the ecu like it is on a sycnro ) ..
and man did that van run smoothly and nicely after that.

I'd rather carry a know-good distributor than a hall sender.
it would be possible...but it's not the type of part you'd want to be changing in the bush much ..
far more a work bench type of operation.
 where a distributor ..
heck..you don't even have to remove the suspected bad distributor to try your new one..
you just plug your new good one in and turn it with your fingers  ( key on of course ) ....if the fuel pump fires and there is spark out of the coil...and there wasn't with the distributor still in the engine..
then you know where the problem is and what to do.

that's an example of the diagnostic strategy I call 'substitute and bypass.'
very useful and low tech.

I think the subject line needs 'adjusting.'
unless I'm not following this whole thing right.
I is the 'ecu temp sensor' that causes problems, not the temp gauge sender.

Scott
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:08 PM

joe
bob

Regards

Jon E

regards
bob dale 

Regards

Jon E 

The question is Scott how do you have room for food and camping gear?:D big grin Greg E

From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com>
Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 5:47 PM

hi.
you should know there are  two temp sensors in the thermostat housing ( not the t-stat itself )

the other one...two contacts with a connector plug ..talks to the ecu, so the ecu knows coolant temp.
If temp sensor is wonky...it can run rich ..or lean ..though that doesn't seem to happen.
or running right.
but way off when hot.
I have worked on a running issue a lot, when all along it was connection at that ecu temp sensor.

( ideally, I would love to have a default value you just switch in , even while driving, as back up or test device. ) .

thermostat
distributor.
air flow meter.
cap, rotor and wires.
fuel pump
fuel filter or two
valve cover gaskets.
various floods ....coolant, oil, oil filter or two, brake fluid, possibly some gear oil

more than that yet.

spare throttle cable

perhaps not much in the way of brake parts..you can often fake it with the brakes not working completely ..so not much in the way of spares there..but all the running stuff that you'd be in a real pickle without ..those for sure.

maybe a starter, but those are heavy to carry and you can keep moving by push starting and being careful where you shut off if you have to.

ditto on clutch ..you can keep moving even if you can't release the clutch normally with the clutch pedal ..
I happen to have a small factory new 65 amp alternator..I take that on trips as a back up .

belts of course ,

I also believe in not trying too too hard to be really exact about which spare parts.

surely a spare air filter ..even two fuel filters if you expect bad fuel at all.

but I do feel a whole lot better with a spare known good example of things like distributor , air flow meter, and ecu.
put in another ECU .
now she's running fine.

and don't forget..

Scott

Regards

Jon E 

Scott,

There is a unit on the market that allows you to run or drive and check the value of everything that sends a signal to the ECU.

Here’s the website:

http://shoebox-electronix.com/

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans
Sent: 01 July 2011 18:15

as I wrote earlier..

I'd love to have the ability to switch in a default value ..

for testing or self-rescue.

I know..
that was a huge list.
I sure feel sgood though . ( more intended to jog the mind of what to consider to take..
what to consider can fail )

it's about having back-up units for those things that the van can not function  without.
if your hall sender or ecu goes belly up ..
nothing but another good used distributor, or ecu...or retorfitted carb. is going to keep you moving.

and that's the gaol..
to be able to 'keep moving' ..even it it's at only half capability.

depends on where you go ..
and I'm assuming no auto parts stores with T3 Syncro fuel injection parts ready at hand.
Like you have to depend pretty much totally on yourself and what you brought with you.

it may take me a long time to pack..
and I might have a lot of stuff on board..
but by golly, the odds of me not being stuck somewhere and 'dead in the water' are faily favorable.

heck..
it is Great Fun being in the middle of nowhere ..
with just your smarts and your cleverness and the bits you brought with you to keep the van moving.

one of my customers ..with a sycrno..
said his temp sensor went bad on him....in British Columbia, Canada.
and he wired in a side marker bulb as a substitue .
and that worked, and got him to where he could buy the new part.
Now that is my kind of ingenuity !

scott

Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 2:07 AM

The question is Scott how do you have room for food and camping gear?:D big grin Greg E

From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com>
Sent: Friday, 1 July 2011 5:47 PM

hi.

or running right.
but way off when hot.

thermostat
distributor.
air flow meter.
cap, rotor and wires.
fuel pump
fuel filter or two
valve cover gaskets.

more than that yet.

spare throttle cable

belts of course ,

put in another ECU .
now she's running fine.

and don't forget..

Scott

Regards

Jon E 

Hi All

I agree on the spare belts my water pump/alternator belt broke today on the pacific highway near Byron. I had all my tools, but my spare was in my other van. So I'll have to get a lift back there tomorrow to fox her. 
I was confused when the battery light came on and only worked out what happened after a minute as I saw the temp gauge hit 3/4's and was still climbing. I went to pull off the highway and as I did the power steering died as the broken belt must have fouled and thrown the power steering belt. The a/c belt is aril there. 
So I hope she didn't get damaged. There was lots of bubbling, gurgling noises when I popped the engine hatch. Next time see the battery light come on I'll know to stop immediately. 

Paul Dumais 
Aerospace Engineer

Paul,

Here's hoping you didn't do too much damage. My first T3 did manage to survive the exact same situation on it's maiden voyage to it's new home. I stopped as soon as I saw steam coming out of the rear vents. The headgaskets lasted another 186K+ after the incident despite having another 200K miles already there when I bought her.

Next time, I'll read the manual.;-)

Cheers,

BenT

sent from my electronic leash

On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:37 AM, Paul Dumais <paul.d.dumais@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> Hi All
>
> I agree on the spare belts my water pump/alternator belt broke today on the pacific highway near Byron. I had all my tools, but my spare was in my other van. So I'll have to get a lift back there tomorrow to fox her.
> I was confused when the battery light came on and only worked out what happened after a minute as I saw the temp gauge hit 3/4's and was still climbing. I went to pull off the highway and as I did the power steering died as the broken belt must have fouled and thrown the power steering belt. The a/c belt is aril there.
> So I hope she didn't get damaged. There was lots of bubbling, gurgling noises when I popped the engine hatch. Next time see the battery light come on I'll know to stop immediately.
>
> Paul Dumais
> Aerospace Engineer
Hello,all the spares as mentioned and a fuel pump and a head light switch.
Like Phill suggests EM him,Im sure he will hook you up with the workshop manuals and ETKA,glovebox edition.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <ScottDaniel@...> wrote:
>
> hi.
> you should know there are two temp sensors in the thermostat housing ( not the t-stat itself )
> one is for the temp gauge in the dash. ( the single contact one )
>
> the other one...two contacts with a connector plug ..talks to the ecu, so the ecu knows coolant temp.
> That is an important input.
> If temp sensor is wonky...it can run rich ..or lean ..though that doesn't seem to happen.
> If contact to it gets dodgy, or intermittent ..
> that can keep the engine from starting easily ..
> or running right.
> and it can intermittent. I have seen them where they were fine cold..
> but way off when hot.
> I have worked on a running issue a lot, when all along it was connection at that ecu temp sensor.
>
> ( ideally, I would love to have a default value you just switch in , even while driving, as back up or test device. ) .
> my list of spare parts I carry ....
> how much time have you got ?
>
> surely and ecu, ( all used parts are 'known good and tested units )
> temp sensor II ( the ecu one )
> thermostat
> distributor.
> air flow meter.
> cap, rotor and wires.
> fuel pump
> fuel filter or two
> main and fuel pump relays
> throttle body with properly working idle contact switch on it.
> valve cover gaskets.
> spare clutch slave cylinder
> various floods ....coolant, oil, oil filter or two, brake fluid, possibly some gear oil
> a spare new CV joint for the rear.
> a short outer stub axle to run in front if an axle blows out there.
>
> more than that yet.
> a tail light bulb or two .
> and especially ever component ..here's another one ..oxygen sensor ..
> every component that is involved with the running of the engine ..
>
> spare throttle cable
> particularly parts that can keep you from being able to keep moving.
>
> perhaps not much in the way of brake parts..you can often fake it with the brakes not working completely ..so not much in the way of spares there..but all the running stuff that you'd be in a real pickle without ..those for sure.
>
> oh...and injector or two.
> some spare fuel hose and clamps.
> maybe a starter, but those are heavy to carry and you can keep moving by push starting and being careful where you shut off if you have to.
>
> ditto on clutch ..you can keep moving even if you can't release the clutch normally with the clutch pedal ..
> you can fake it , with difficulty ..
> but you can keep moving with a clutch that will not disengage.
> I happen to have a small factory new 65 amp alternator..I take that on trips as a back up .
>
> belts of course ,
> some hoses..or a box of miscellaneous hose bits and clamps.
>
> I also believe in not trying too too hard to be really exact about which spare parts.
> Chances are if you brought it ..that's not the one you need.
>
> so I tend to bring bailing wire, tape, vice grips...
> and 'patch' stuff like that too.
>
> surely a spare air filter ..even two fuel filters if you expect bad fuel at all.
>
> the list can go on forever..
> but I do feel a whole lot better with a spare known good example of things like distributor , air flow meter, and ecu.
> I just had bad cutting out on a 2.1 wbxr engine ..tried another distributor .
> got even worse.....with nice backfiring.
> tried another distributor ..
> still cut out. ( turn the key off and back on real fast, and she' do again. )
> put in another ECU .
> now she's running fine.
> (tach would drop to zero when it cut out, pointing to ignition ) .
> so ..apparently........intermittent ignition caused by a bad ecu.
>
> and don't forget..
> a spare ignition switch, the electrical part..
> so small, not expensive, underbuilt, and they can act up easily.
> it's silly not to carry one.
> you can even just plug it into the harness and operate it with a screwdriver .
> gotta have one of those along.
>
> Scott
> www.turbovans.com
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Jon Elliott
> To: Syncro T3 Australia
> Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:14 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Temp gauge sender
>
>
>
>
> Could someone explain how the temp gauge sender on the thermostat causes the problem that has been the subject of discussion?
> Is a spare parts list / book available for the Syncro?
> I am trying to build up a stock of parts to keep the Syncro running when problems arise on my intended trip to the north of WA. Would members care to suggest a list of spares to carry?
> I have had my Syncro for 12 years and through this site I am learning all sorts of information about my vehicle I didn't know before.
>
> Regards
>
> Jon E
>