Thank You

All members,

At age 82, I am not as well as I once was and I am now living in somewhat reduced financial circumstances.  Old and ailing computers have been a problem in the last several years and this has affected running the Syncro_T3_Australia group.

Several members are aware of this and recently one long-time member and one relatively new member asked for donations that would help me maintain the Syncro_T3_Australia group.  A number of donations were made and they have been passed on to me.  This will enable me to buy a new computer (as in system box) and probably also allow me to get my standby computers up to date.

One of the problems with maintaining the group records and the website is Microsoft’s stand-over tactics.  I set this group up in 2004 and everything is on Windows XP Pro and Office Pro.  Since then, Microsoft has pulled the plug on those systems and replaced them with pale imitations of the original solid and functional Windows NT/XP.

In their place, we now have all singing, all dancing, all glitz and all bling monstrosities.  All names have been changed, all locations have been changed, functionality has been changed beyond all recognition, menus have been abandoned in favour of an electronic version of the pea and thimble trick. . .    Improved functionality?  Forget it!!  Backward compatibility?  You jest!!

That’s a long way of saying that the Microsoft stand-over makes everything ten times harder than it needs to be but I am still slightly ahead of the game.  This heartening and generous donation will make that a lot easier, by way of upgraded hardware, for which I thank everyone.

Les Harris

Syncro_T3_Australia owner

14 Feb 2016

Glad the funds have been used wisely....:)

Actually, I didnt care what you used the money for Les - I just think you deserve it after all these years of looking after this site.

Enjoy,

Cheers,

Skot

On 13/02/2016 7:42 PM, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] wrote:

All members,

At age 82, I am not as well as I once was and I am now living in somewhat reduced financial circumstances. Old and ailing computers have been a problem in the last several years and this has affected running the Syncro_T3_Australia group.

Several members are aware of this and recently one long-time member and one relatively new member asked for donations that would help me maintain the Syncro_T3_Australia group. A number of donations were made and they have been passed on to me. This will enable me to buy a new computer (as in system box) and probably also allow me to get my standby computers up to date.

One of the problems with maintaining the group records and the website is Microsoft’s stand-over tactics. I set this group up in 2004 and everything is on Windows XP Pro and Office Pro. Since then, Microsoft has pulled the plug on those systems and replaced them with pale imitations of the original solid and functional Windows NT/XP.

In their place, we now have all singing, all dancing, all glitz and all bling monstrosities. All names have been changed, all locations have been changed, functionality has been changed beyond all recognition, menus have been abandoned in favour of an electronic version of the pea and thimble trick. . . Improved functionality? Forget it!! Backward compatibility? You jest!!

That’s a long way of saying that the Microsoft stand-over makes everything ten times harder than it needs to be but I am still slightly ahead of the game. This heartening and generous donation will make that a lot easier, by way of upgraded hardware, for which I thank everyone.

Les Harris

14 Feb 2016

Good to hear Les.
You're not the only one who deals with computer companies making money out of their customers.
Old laptop was fine to back up my mobile until I had it stolen in Bali. New phone won't back up to old computer now. Gotcha.
On a lighter note I was surprised by the two early twenties kids discussing the Syncro as I loaded up in the Bunnings trade section. " I think he's lifted it. " " Nah just bigger tyres." " Nah that's a 2" lift. "
Then we had a chat and they ageed it would be better than a Delica cause they're " too heavy up front "
Classic !

Mark
Hi Les,
Is still run XP on my Dell 2006 laptop.
I now have a MacAir and when I use parallels to run windows I also run XP.
There is a version of XP available to download online called TinyXP, it's only about 640MB, it's been striped of it's superfluous bulk and runs very stably.
The latest version of chrome works on it well.
I reckon at some stage Yahoo will cease to exist and it would be prudent to have an exist strategy.
I am on many other Forums and most see to function pretty well also.
I like the one Endless Sphere Forum is on.
It could be an option, it says :Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Just an idea to consider.
Cheers
Paul

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM, mark hallett m.mullet@yahoo.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Good to hear Les.
You're not the only one who deals with computer companies making money out of their customers.
Old laptop was fine to back up my mobile until I had it stolen in Bali. New phone won't back up to old computer now. Gotcha.
On a lighter note I was surprised by the two early twenties kids discussing the Syncro as I loaded up in the Bunnings trade section. " I think he's lifted it. " " Nah just bigger tyres." " Nah that's a 2" lift. "
Then we had a chat and they ageed it would be better than a Delica cause they're " too heavy up front "
Classic !

Mark

--
Cheers
Paul Dumais
Aerospace Engineer

Paul,

When I set up this group early in 2004, there was just about nothing else in the way of free group hosting and I went with Yahoo.  But that was then and this is now; we certainly need an exit strategy, hopefully one that allows us to carry all the history forward.  All suggestions welcome.

I hadn’t heard of the Tiny XP but will certainly look at it.  I gather from the Internet that there are many millions of people round the world who roundly loathe the Win 10 kiddiewinkies and will not give in to Microsoft’s Detroit 1955 tactics.  (For the benefit of our younger members, Detroit 1955 was the era of tailfins and 8” drum brakes on monstrous V8 Yank Tanks!)

The old ASUS was good until the cooling fan sensor gave up.  Unfortunately, this model ASUS does not allow any fan control in BIOS, so I have to run a laptop cooler.  I am considering going to an all-in-one and pensioning off the ASUS but, thanks to the donated money, I now have a lot of options.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 15 February 2016 11:45
To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ Syncro_T3_Australia ] Re: Thank You

Hi Les,

There is a version of XP available to download online called TinyXP, it's only about 640MB, it's been striped of it's superfluous bulk and runs very stably.

I reckon at some stage Yahoo will cease to exist and it would be prudent to have an exist strategy.

It could be an option, it says :Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Cheers

Paul 

Les
I have an Apple Desktop MacPro 3.1 from 2008 I am about to put on ebay.
I happy to sell it you a 25% discount on what ever they are currently going for.
I'd love to be able to give it to you but I am saving up for an engine rebuild on the Syncro.
I reckon they are a great box they have 4 x 3.5inch drive bays and 2 x 5 inch drive bays that are easily swappable.
It's an eight core 2.8ghz machine with 6gb of ram.
It's running the latest OSX El Capitan and can run windows (including XP) through bootcamp or parallels.
It's not the fastest machine compared to the latest for graphics or video editing but are still very upgradable.
They can take a ton of ram and an ssd makes them really fly.
Let me know if you are interested.
here are the specs
It's in Camberwell Vic
Cheers
Paul

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:26 PM, 'Leslie Harris' leslieharris@optusnet.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia] <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Paul,

When I set up this group early in 2004, there was just about nothing else in the way of free group hosting and I went with Yahoo. But that was then and this is now; we certainly need an exit strategy, hopefully one that allows us to carry all the history forward. All suggestions welcome.

I hadn’t heard of the Tiny XP but will certainly look at it. I gather from the Internet that there are many millions of people round the world who roundly loathe the Win 10 kiddiewinkies and will not give in to Microsoft’s Detroit 1955 tactics. (For the benefit of our younger members, Detroit 1955 was the era of tailfins and 8” drum brakes on monstrous V8 Yank Tanks!)

The old ASUS was good until the cooling fan sensor gave up. Unfortunately, this model ASUS does not allow any fan control in BIOS, so I have to run a laptop cooler. I am considering going to an all-in-one and pensioning off the ASUS but, thanks to the donated money, I now have a lot of options.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 15 February 2016 11:45
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Thank You

Hi Les,

It could be an option, it says :Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Cheers

Paul

--
Cheers
Paul Dumais
Aerospace Engineer
Hi Les,
I was a huge fan of WinXP Pro, solid, dependable and the START menu was so simple, practical and configurable to suit individuals needs. Then Microsoft lost the plot in subsequent iterations. Fortunately, and this is what I use, there is an excellent third party program that gives you back the WinXP style START menu for use with later Windows versions ...

Given you are well and truly entrenched with running present older software, I imagine it would be simpler for you to stay with WinXP Pro. It's probable your present PC hardware resources would struggle to even run Win7. Globally there still is huge support for WinXP, there are links that explain what can be done to maintain a reasonable level of safety and security even now, for example ..
or

Alternatively, if as you say you are considering options of upgrading to new PC hardware like motherboard, graphics card and printer/scanner etc, these now would be geared toward current Win8/Win10 systems and definitely incompatible (unsupported hardware AND software) with WinXP (except browsers). So generally, staying with WinXP, upgrading/changing hardware to suit would by now only be found in the second-hand marketplaces.

I'd also imagine for simplicity, you'd prefer to use the same operating system for both your main and backup PCs.

If you were to upgrade/change to newer PC hardware (2nd hand/used by now) running a Professional version of Win7, then I believe its is possible to run a virtual version of WinXP. I've not investigated nor done it myself.

So it is somewhat of a dilemma, one which we all face from time to time, even more complex for you running the forum. Is there a local IT person you could consult to help make a decision which way to jump?
Good luck. Cheers.
Ken

Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 19:42:30 +1100
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Thank You

All members,

At age 82, I am not as well as I once was and I am now living in somewhat reduced financial circumstances.  Old and ailing computers have been a problem in the last several years and this has affected running the Syncro_T3_Australia group.

Several members are aware of this and recently one long-time member and one relatively new member asked for donations that would help me maintain the Syncro_T3_Australia group.  A number of donations were made and they have been passed on to me.  This will enable me to buy a new computer (as in system box) and probably also allow me to get my standby computers up to date.

One of the problems with maintaining the group records and the website is Microsoft’s stand-over tactics.  I set this group up in 2004 and everything is on Windows XP Pro and Office Pro.  Since then, Microsoft has pulled the plug on those systems and replaced them with pale imitations of the original solid and functional Windows NT/XP.

In their place, we now have all singing, all dancing, all glitz and all bling monstrosities.  All names have been changed, all locations have been changed, functionality has been changed beyond all recognition, menus have been abandoned in favour of an electronic version of the pea and thimble trick. . .    Improved functionality?  Forget it!!  Backward compatibility?  You jest!!

That’s a long way of saying that the Microsoft stand-over makes everything ten times harder than it needs to be but I am still slightly ahead of the game.  This heartening and generous donation will make that a lot easier, by way of upgraded hardware, for which I thank everyone.

Les Harris

14 Feb 2016

Ken,

A lot of this was covered in a reply that I sent to Rowan this morning.  I thought that it had gone to the group but now realize that it was a pers com!

Rowan,

I am running two computers at the moment.

All email is on an old ASUS laptop which has full XP Pro and Office 1013; this is rock solid stuff that closely parallels the original NT.   This is passable but has several problems.  It could do with a clean install but this is now made very difficult because of the amount of sequential stuff that has to be found on the Microsoft website and installed.  It can be done but it involves a couple of days work.

I also have a reasonable rebuilt PC that I obtained through a recycling scheme in Uralla that is designed to help Uni of New England students (and old codgers) obtain stable and functional computers at very little cost.  The PC has Win 10 on it and I am slowly coming to terms with the wall to wall kiddiewinkies that Microsoft jocularly refers to as an operating system.  The first thing that I did with it was install Classic Shell, of course.  This eliminates a lot of glitz and bling that is designed to appeal to pimply kids but seriously impedes functionality.

Recently, I discovered something highly interesting.  It is possible to run Office Pro and Office 2003 on the Win 10 OS.  The Microsoft website hosts many discussion groups and I happened on one that is specific to running the older Office on Win 10; it does involve several work-arounds, particularly regarding Outlook, but the outcome is very functional.  This was largely of academic interest until the donation from our group members was made but it is now very much a live issue.

I am still considering the best use of the donated money.  The only thing so far decided is that I will run NAS to whatever hardware I eventually select.  At the moment, I have stuff scattered over a heap of elderly hard drives, all of which needs to be collated and stored on an NAS. Watch this space!!

Les

My hardware is reasonable but could do with some updating.  Because I have a very large volume of stuff on Office Pro and the next higher edition, I will run them as long as I can.  As detailed above, there are so many people doggedly running XP and Office that there is even a highly detailed topic on Microsoft’s own website on how to run full house Office on Win 10.  This looks like a tacit admission on their part that the glitz and bling went over like a lead balloon, particularly with professional users!!  With the donation, I can certainly go up to a better box but, like millions around the world, I will continue to run XP and Office.  If any further confirmation is needed that Win 10 is a very long way off the functionality mark, one needs only look at the millions who have downloaded and installed Classic Shell!!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 15 February 2016 15:33
To: Syncro Australia Forum
Subject: RE: [ Syncro_T3_Australia ] Thank You

Hi Les,

I was a huge fan of WinXP Pro, solid, dependable and the START menu was so simple, practical and configurable to suit individuals needs. Then Microsoft lost the plot in subsequent iterations. Fortunately, and this is what I use, there is an excellent third party program that gives you back the WinXP style START menu for use with later Windows versions ...

Given you are well and truly entrenched with running present older software, I imagine it would be simpler for you to stay with WinXP Pro. It's probable your present PC hardware resources would struggle to even run Win7. Globally there still is huge support for WinXP, there are links that explain what can be done to maintain a reasonable level of safety and security even now, for example ..

or

Alternatively, if as you say you are considering options of upgrading to new PC hardware like motherboard, graphics card and printer/scanner etc, these now would be geared toward current Win8/Win10 systems and definitely incompatible (unsupported hardware AND software) with WinXP (except browsers). So generally, staying with WinXP, upgrading/changing hardware to suit would by now only be found in the second-hand marketplaces.

I'd also imagine for simplicity, you'd prefer to use the same operating system for both your main and backup PCs.

If you were to upgrade/change to newer PC hardware (2nd hand/used by now) running a Professional version of Win7, then I believe its is possible to run a virtual version of WinXP. I've not investigated nor done it myself.

So it is somewhat of a dilemma, one which we all face from time to time, even more complex for you running the forum. Is there a local IT person you could consult to help make a decision which way to jump?

Good luck. Cheers.

Ken

Hi Les,
Choices choices!!!

Looks like you are presently at the crossroads, considering which way to head both in terms of hardware, operating system and ability to re-deploy your present productivity software.

Firstly and getting back to basics ... I believe managing a primary PC supported by an IDENTICAL backup PC would offer best management i.e., peace of mind, practicality, efficiency and recovery, a lesson often forgotten until after all hell brakes loose without warning with a pair of PCs running dissimilar hardware and OS software. So instead for example, identical PCs would offer the ability to mirror copy the contents of one system hard drive to one or more other hard drives and alternatively as well, utilise a system partition image previously created on say PC "A" and copy it to another hard drive to be installed and bootable in PC "B" ... be back up and running again in quick time.

So to that end and to stretch the available dollars, just wondering whether you could for example, purchase through the University recycling scheme TWO (or three!) IDENTICAL PCs that supports the same version of Windows operating system you decide on plus ability to run productivity software you own? This may then allow enough leftover funds to purchase say an optional NAS for data backup ... swappable between PCs, plus at least three or more NEW IDENTICAL PC hard drives running bootable OS of choice, to swap around as needed between the two PCs. A simple but practical method of system management/redundancy. No doubt there are other solutions.

If the University recycling scheme computers are laptops running internal SATA 2.5" hard drives, there are two preferred choices of hard drive to consider, the newer solid state type (perhaps smaller capacity and more expensive per gigabyte) or else a higher capacity but less expensive platter hard drive ... rotation of 7200rpm instead of usual 5400rpm, offering faster functionality. The latter is still my choice of laptop HDD.

Whatever PCs are chosen and to aid performance, be sure they have more than the minimum RAM installed.

Cheers.
Ken

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:14:01 +1100
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Thank You

Ken,

A lot of this was covered in a reply that I sent to Rowan this morning.  I thought that it had gone to the group but now realize that it was a pers com!

Rowan,

I am running two computers at the moment.

All email is on an old ASUS laptop which has full XP Pro and Office 1013; this is rock solid stuff that closely parallels the original NT.   This is passable but has several problems.  It could do with a clean install but this is now made very difficult because of the amount of sequential stuff that has to be found on the Microsoft website and installed.  It can be done but it involves a couple of days work.

I also have a reasonable rebuilt PC that I obtained through a recycling scheme in Uralla that is designed to help Uni of New England students (and old codgers) obtain stable and functional computers at very little cost.  The PC has Win 10 on it and I am slowly coming to terms with the wall to wall kiddiewinkies that Microsoft jocularly refers to as an operating system.  The first thing that I did with it was install Classic Shell, of course.  This eliminates a lot of glitz and bling that is designed to appeal to pimply kids but seriously impedes functionality.

Recently, I discovered something highly interesting.  It is possible to run Office Pro and Office 2003 on the Win 10 OS.  The Microsoft website hosts many discussion groups and I happened on one that is specific to running the older Office on Win 10; it does involve several work-arounds, particularly regarding Outlook, but the outcome is very functional.  This was largely of academic interest until the donation from our group members was made but it is now very much a live issue.

I am still considering the best use of the donated money.  The only thing so far decided is that I will run NAS to whatever hardware I eventually select.  At the moment, I have stuff scattered over a heap of elderly hard drives, all of which needs to be collated and stored on an NAS. Watch this space!!

Les

My hardware is reasonable but could do with some updating.  Because I have a very large volume of stuff on Office Pro and the next higher edition, I will run them as long as I can.  As detailed above, there are so many people doggedly running XP and Office that there is even a highly detailed topic on Microsoft’s own website on how to run full house Office on Win 10.  This looks like a tacit admission on their part that the glitz and bling went over like a lead balloon, particularly with professional users!!  With the donation, I can certainly go up to a better box but, like millions around the world, I will continue to run XP and Office.  If any further confirmation is needed that Win 10 is a very long way off the functionality mark, one needs only look at the millions who have downloaded and installed Classic Shell!!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 15 February 2016 15:33

Hi Les,

or

Good luck. Cheers.

Ken

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 16 February 2016 13:23

Hi Les,

Choices choices!!!

Looks like you are presently at the crossroads, considering which way to head both in terms of hardware, operating system and ability to re-deploy your present productivity software.

Firstly and getting back to basics ... I believe managing a primary PC supported by an IDENTICAL backup PC would offer best management i.e., peace of mind, practicality, efficiency and recovery, a lesson often forgotten until after all hell brakes loose without warning with a pair of PCs running dissimilar hardware and OS software. So instead for example, identical PCs would offer the ability to mirror copy the contents of one system hard drive to one or more other hard drives and alternatively as well, utilise a system partition image previously created on say PC "A" and copy it to another hard drive to be installed and bootable in PC "B" ... be back up and running again in quick time.

The bottom line is the data, not the OS, but both have to be factored in.  I have the Acronis program, which will do both, but I will probably need to upgrade it to the latest version.  Judging by what I have been doing and learning to date, I will probably run Win 10 on both a main PC and a backup PC, which covers the identical architecture that you are talking about.  This insulates me against a hardware failure.  With data stored on an external RAID drive, it can be read on the standby PC

So to that end and to stretch the available dollars, just wondering whether you could for example, purchase through the University recycling scheme TWO (or three!) IDENTICAL PCs that supports the same version of Windows operating system you decide on plus ability to run productivity software you own? This may then allow enough leftover funds to purchase say an optional NAS for data backup ... swappable between PCs, plus at least three or more NEW IDENTICAL PC hard drives running bootable OS of choice, to swap around as needed between the two PCs. A simple but practical method of system management/redundancy. No doubt there are other solutions.

1. I would prefer to go with a new box, perhaps even an all-in-one, in order to get the new box warranty.  So long as the standby is running the same OS, as in Win 10 with the same updates, there will not be a compatibility problem.

2. Good quality NAS is expensive.  It is on the list for consideration but of a lower priority at the moment given that I have several good quality hard drive enclosures.  As a BTW, I always run a second separate disc in my PCs as a data drive.  If the OS falls over, the data is safe on a separate drive.  On the laptop, I am confined to storing the data on a partition on the single HDD.

If the University recycling scheme computers are laptops running internal SATA 2.5" hard drives, there are two preferred choices of hard drive to consider, the newer solid state type (perhaps smaller capacity and more expensive per gigabyte) or else a higher capacity but less expensive platter hard drive ... rotation of 7200rpm instead of usual 5400rpm, offering faster functionality. The latter is still my choice of laptop HDD.

I would love to go SSD but I am reluctant to use the donated money for expensive high end hardware; the standard HDD will do the job quite well.  I have several external self-contained drive enclosures that will serve to keep the data progressive backups

Whatever PCs are chosen and to aid performance, be sure they have more than the minimum RAM installed.

Cheers.

Ken

Paul,

Thanks for the offer but I will stick to the Win based machines even if I utterly loathe Micro-bloody-soft for its stand-over tactics.  I have a lot of files and would prefer to keep them native rather than make a rod for my own back.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ]
Sent: 15 February 2016 13:56
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Thank You

Les 

I have an Apple Desktop MacPro 3.1 from 2008 I am about to put on ebay.

I happy to sell it you a 25% discount on what ever they are currently going for.

I'd love to be able to give it to you but I am saving up for an engine rebuild on the Syncro.

I reckon they are a great box they have 4 x 3.5inch drive bays and 2 x 5 inch drive bays that are easily swappable.

It's an eight core 2.8ghz machine with 6gb of ram.

It's running the latest OSX El Capitan and can run windows (including XP) through bootcamp or parallels. 

It's not the fastest machine compared to the latest for graphics or video editing but are still very upgradable. 

They can take a ton of ram and an ssd makes them really fly. 

Let me know if you are interested.

here are the specs

It's in Camberwell Vic

Cheers

Paul