Tony Ricketts - Coolant

The colour nomenclature is a problem.  It is variously described as violet, lilac and purple over a range of manufacturers.  As far as I can work out, the "+" or "Plus" marked the change from pink/rose/choose a name of the previous series.

Les

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:38 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Tony Ricketts - Going at Last!

Just make sure of the + plus and the colour purple. G12 is not suitable and is pink.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

By the time Tony got here this morning he had already added some of the local water to top up the reservoir. This is unfortunate as the tap water in Ceduna is very corrosive so I recommended to him that he flush the system ASAP when he gets home.

There were no obvious leaks in the system, and the bus has an after market VDO coolant temperature gauge in addition to the factory fitted one. The temperature in the bus was sitting at a relatively constant 80+ish. I suspect the slight rise in the gauge yesterday was related to the 140kph speed of the bus rather than any problem with the cooling system!

Anyway, the reservoir was full (even at high engine revs) and with no other obvious faults, Tony and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned Phil - the sensor is probably dirty. He was very keen to try to reach Norseman today so he headed off mid morning with some distilled water and one eye constantly on the temperature gauges.

It is a lovely van that has obviously been well nurtured and loved, and had many useful modifications/additions made to it. And so clean - made me embarrassed to show Tony ours!

Regarding the original problem, it appears that Alf was right on the money - o-rings to the injectors.

Tony highly recommends the mechanic in Whyalla, which may prove a useful contact for those heading across the country and have a problem half way.

Hopefully we will here from Tony within a couple of days with him having made it safely home without further mechanical problems.

Cheers,

Andy.
Andy,

Great news and many thanks.

Les

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:45 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Tony Ricketts - On to the Nullarbor.

He was very keen to try to reach Norseman today so he headed off mid morning with some distilled water and one eye constantly on the temperature gauges.

Hopefully we will here from Tony within a couple of days with him having made it safely home without further mechanical problems.

Cheers,

Andy.

That is good news and good luck to him. It's great to see people
swinging into action to help each other in this way. A reminder (if we
needed one) of the benefits of setting up this group, Les.

I'm very impressed by the know-how of people in this forum - I just
wish I had a little more to share around... Perhaps we can send a few
happy snaps of our syncro touring around Tasmania for some light
relief!

Oh, and thanks again all for the advice re decouplers, etc. We are
going to go this (controversial) route, in due course. We've just had
to fork out for a new fridge which ate a little further into our
kitty, but at least we can now go places!

Happy Easter,

Francesca.

On 4/4/09, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Andy,
>
> Great news and many thanks.
>
> Les
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: raredownunder
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:45 PM
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Tony Ricketts - On to the Nullarbor.
>
>
>
>
> Thanks for everyone's advice.
>
> He was very keen to try to reach Norseman today so he headed off mid morning
> with some distilled water and one eye constantly on the temperature gauges.
>
> Hopefully we will here from Tony within a couple of days with him having
> made it safely home without further mechanical problems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy.
>
>
>
>
>
Thank's Andy,
So many times on this forum members ask for advice and we never get to hear the outcome. We can all learn from other people's experiences instead of reinventing the wheel.

Just as a reminder. If there is an indication of low coolant, the temperature gauge will also rise although the coolant temperature may be normal.

Phill

> raredownunder <rafear@internode.on.net> wrote:
>

By the time Tony got here this morning he had already added some of the local water to top
up the reservoir. This is unfortunate as the tap water in Ceduna is very corrosive so I
recommended to him that he flush the system ASAP when he gets home.

There were no obvious leaks in the system, and the bus has an after market VDO coolant
temperature gauge in addition to the factory fitted one. The temperature in the bus was
sitting at a relatively constant 80+ish. I suspect the slight rise in the gauge yesterday
was related to the 140kph speed of the bus rather than any problem with the cooling system!

Anyway, the reservoir was full (even at high engine revs) and with no other obvious faults,
Tony and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned Phil - the sensor is probably
dirty. He was very keen to try to reach Norseman today so he headed off mid morning with
some distilled water and one eye constantly on the temperature gauges.

It is a lovely van that has obviously been well nurtured and loved, and had many useful
modifications/additions made to it. And so clean - made me embarrassed to show Tony ours!

Regarding the original problem, it appears that Alf was right on the money - o-rings to the
injectors.

Tony highly recommends the mechanic in Whyalla, which may prove a useful contact for those
heading across the country and have a problem half way.

Hopefully we will here from Tony within a couple of days with him having made it safely home
without further mechanical problems.

Cheers,

Andy.
I had a water pump give up when in Augusta in the extreme SW of WA. Both the warning light and the temperature gauge told me to walk round the back and have a Captain Cook. Ordered a new pump and coolant from Perth but when only the pump arrived chose to fill up with distilled water rather than the "one solution solves everything" coolant that the mechanic said was just as good.Came back round the south coast and across the Nullabor without problems or even higher than midway temperature; flushing and correctly refilling on my return to Melbourne. That was nearly 3 years ago and it includes our trip up to Cape York and back without problems. Tony, therefore hope this gives some assurance that probably your troubles are now behind you but, clean that sensor.

I'd also like to echo Mark's comments and admiration to those who stepped up with thoughtful advice,spare parts,communications, mechanical help and encouragement. We have some very decent generous and knowledgeable members around Australia but am a bit surprised that Andy in Ceduna didn't try to convince Tony to go home via Goog's Track and then bump alongside the Indian Pacific Railway !
Well done all concerned.
Cheers
Roger
92 Syncro Camper
Melbourne

--- On Sat, 4/4/09, plander@optusnet.com.au <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Tony Ricketts - On to the Nullarbor.
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Saturday, 4 April, 2009, 10:30 AM

Thank's Andy,
So many times on this forum members ask for advice and we never get to hear the outcome. We can all learn from other people's experiences instead of reinventing the wheel.

Just as a reminder. If there is an indication of low coolant, the temperature gauge will also rise although the coolant temperature may be normal.

Phill

> raredownunder <rafear@internode. on.net> wrote:
>

By the time Tony got here this morning he had already added some of the local water to top
up the reservoir. This is unfortunate as the tap water in Ceduna is very corrosive so I
recommended to him that he flush the system ASAP when he gets home.

There were no obvious leaks in the system, and the bus has an after market VDO coolant
temperature gauge in addition to the factory fitted one. The temperature in the bus was
sitting at a relatively constant 80+ish. I suspect the slight rise in the gauge yesterday
was related to the 140kph speed of the bus rather than any problem with the cooling system!

Anyway, the reservoir was full (even at high engine revs) and with no other obvious faults,
Tony and I came to the same conclusion that you mentioned Phil - the sensor is probably
dirty. He was very keen to try to reach Norseman today so he headed off mid morning with
some distilled water and one eye constantly on the temperature gauges.

It is a lovely van that has obviously been well nurtured and loved, and had many useful
modifications/ additions made to it. And so clean - made me embarrassed to show Tony ours!

Regarding the original problem, it appears that Alf was right on the money - o-rings to the
injectors.

Tony highly recommends the mechanic in Whyalla, which may prove a useful contact for those
heading across the country and have a problem half way.

Hopefully we will here from Tony within a couple of days with him having made it safely home
without further mechanical problems.

Cheers,

Andy.

Enjoy a better web experience. Upgrade to the new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7. Get it now..