Tony Ricketts - Iron Knob!

I am back on Tony's case.  He is stuck in Iron Knob (SA), no Internet, only the mobile phone. 
 
I have just had a long talk with him and there are a number of basic things that haven't been checked yet, the two most important being establishing that fuel is passing through the injectors on cranking and that spark is available at the plugs on cranking.  He is getting a delivery of parts on Thursday via the local camel train; new AFM harness, "O" rings for the injectors and new fuel filters. 
 
Until he has checked spark plugs and injectors, there is not a lot more that I can think of.  I understand that any stickiness in the AFM cam cause rough running but I don't know if it will prevent a restart, which is the problem now.  I could imagine that if the metering flap is not returning to the engine stopped position, it can cause this sort of problem   The next logical step will be to truck it back to Adelaide, where any good VW engine mechanic can run diagnostics on it.
 
Les
 
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
I am back on Tony's case. He is stuck in Iron Knob (SA), no Internet, only the mobile phone.
I have just had a long talk with him and there are a number of basic things that haven't been checked yet, the two most important being establishing that fuel is passing through the injectors on cranking and that spark is available at the plugs on cranking. He is getting a delivery of parts on Thursday via the local camel train; new AFM harness, "O" rings for the injectors and new fuel filters.
Until he has checked spark plugs and injectors, there is not a lot more that I can think of. I understand that any stickiness in the AFM cam cause rough running but I don't know if it will prevent a restart, which is the problem now. I could imagine that if the metering flap is not returning to the engine stopped position, it can cause this sort of problem The next logical step will be to truck it back to Adelaide, where any good VW engine mechanic can run diagnostics on it.
Les
Les,
Sorry for getting into this late. I've been hundreds of miles away from a laptop until now. I was unable to locate the thread which specified Tony's exact problem. From what I was able to surmise, he is having starting problems.
I did see the comment about sending a AFM harness patch to him. If he is having drivability problems then sure than can help. If his not even able to get the van running, then he has more basic problems. The obvious is fuel and spark. Those are relatively basic so I will assume you gentlemen have already addressed them. The thing I have found less obvious is a clogged catalytic converter. Now I realize your Syncros may not have cats. You tell me. If they have one, damage inside can stop a WBX from running and/or severely losing power. Ask Tony if he has fuel and spark. If those are OK, ask him to uncorked his exhaust.
Regards,
BenT
. The obvious is
> fuel
> and spark. Those are relatively basic so I will assume you gentlemen
> have
> already addressed them. The thing I have found less obvious is a
> clogged catalytic converter. Now I realize your Syncros may not have
> cats.
> You tell me. If they have one, damage inside can stop a WBX from
> running and/or severely losing power. Ask Tony if he has fuel and
> spark. If those are OK, ask him to uncorked his exhaust.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> BenT

It is easy to pull the cat off (yes Ben all of our syncros are MV engines) and have a look. Normally with a damaged cat the engine will start but may not run.

We have many other cars here with Motronic EFI (which is Digifant) so any Ford/Holden/Nissan mechanic should be able to diagnose it.

As Ben said, check the basics.

Phill
Ben,
 
I have not long spoken with Tony and told him to check spark and fuel through the injectors.  I have just spoken to the member in Adelaide who found air being sucked through the injector body on one bank.  He replaced the O rings with some old ones and that got him going but not for long.  For the moment, we won't know any more until the spark/injectors have been checked.
 
The Australian delivery Syncros have cats.  What do you mean by uncorking it?
 
Les
 
 
 
 
What do you mean by uncorking it?
>
> Les


Have you ever had your prostate checked?

Like that only with a broom handle. Smash the insides until it is clear.
Normally they rattle loudly for months before clogging.

I'm still betting on a basic. Fuel filter, hall sensor, distributor cap etc
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@optushome.com.au> wrote:
The Australian delivery Syncros have cats. What do you mean by uncorking it?
Les
Sorry, Les. I only meant to pull the cat off. In an emergency, you can knock-out the insides of the cat
to get back on the road.
Does Tony have any basic tools at all?
BenT
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:55 PM, <plander@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
What do you mean by uncorking it?
>
> Les


Have you ever had your prostate checked?
You mean by a doctor? (LOL)
Like that only with a broom handle. Smash the insides until it is clear.
Normally they rattle loudly for months before clogging.
My last problem with a cat was literally a total melt down. The insides were fused together.
IIRC it was an over rich condition on an extended drive that killed the cat.

I will agree, pull the sparkplugs and check for spark. If you don't get it there, then work your way
back to the more complicated stuff like the distro, hall sender, etc. Then pull and injector and just
see if you get it squirting.
I wondered about the Aussie Syncros because I have heard of a few which are in OZ now but were
originally delivered to other countries. IIRC one or two are turbodiesels.
Cheers,
BenT
> > Have you ever had your prostate checked?
>
>
> You mean by a doctor? (LOL)
>

I don't know what the situation is in your country, but that's the only person that I would use. (LOL)
Hi All
I had same problem and it turned out being clogged a clogged cat converter now dont have one.
Same type problems as Tony except it would start had to go thru lots of stuff though till we figured it out
Good Luck Tony
Robert

--- On Tue, 31/3/09, BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
From: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Tony Ricketts - Iron Knob!
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Tuesday, 31 March, 2009, 5:31 PM

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Les Harris <leslieharris@ optushome. com.au> wrote:
I am back on Tony's case.  He is stuck in Iron Knob (SA), no Internet, only the mobile phone. 
 
I have just had a long talk with him and there are a number of basic things that haven't been checked yet, the two most important being establishing that fuel is passing through the injectors on cranking and that spark is available at the plugs on cranking.  He is getting a delivery of parts on Thursday via the local camel train; new AFM harness, "O" rings for the injectors and new fuel filters. 
 
Until he has checked spark plugs and injectors, there is not a lot more that I can think of.  I understand that any stickiness in the AFM cam cause rough running but I don't know if it will prevent a restart, which is the problem now.  I could imagine that if the metering flap is not returning to the engine stopped position, it can cause this sort of problem   The next logical step will be to truck it back to Adelaide, where any good VW engine mechanic can run diagnostics on it.
 
Les
 
 
Les,
 
Sorry for getting into this late. I've been hundreds of miles away from a laptop until now. I was unable to locate the thread which specified Tony's exact problem. From what I was able to surmise, he is having starting problems.
 
I did see the comment about sending a AFM harness patch to him. If he is having drivability problems then sure than can help. If his not even able to get the van running, then he has more basic problems. The obvious is fuel and spark. Those are relatively basic so I will assume you gentlemen have already addressed them. The thing I have found less obvious is a clogged catalytic converter. Now I realize your Syncros may not have cats. You tell me. If they have one, damage inside can stop a WBX from running and/or  severely losing power. Ask Tony if he has fuel and spark. If those are OK, ask him to uncorked his exhaust.
 
 
Regards,
 
BenT 


The new Internet Explorer 8 optimised for Yahoo!7: Faster, Safer, Easier. Get it now..