Trakka pop top

Hi All, I am wondering if there is a fix to a Trakka pop top with 2 x solar panels wanting to come down out square?

So far I have removed the struts and had them checked. He has actually added a 100nm to them.

this has made them harder to pull down but they go up easy, but the out of square remains.

the bar that attaches to the pop top at the front has a light bend in it on one side and when it is fully up it sits to one side off centre.
Could this be the problem?

where the bar attaches to the body through the fibreglass nose cone has a slight movement in it. Can this be tightened some how?

Has anyone had the same experience or pulled one of these apart?

Regards

Greg

Greg,

The radius bar will have to be straightened to stop it folding down without centring correctly, particularly now that you have longer struts.  Slight movement in the mounting of the radius bar will not be a problem so long as the bar is symmetrical – I have slight movement in mine.

My struts are original and, when fully up, there is a bit of slackness in the sleeve but I have fixed this by making two wooden props that keep it taut.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg
Sent: 16 September 2012 10:52
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka pop top

Hi All, I am wondering if there is a fix to a Trakka pop top with 2 x solar panels wanting to come down out square?

So far I have removed the struts and had them checked. He has actually added a 100nm to them.

this has made them harder to pull down but they go up easy, but the out of square remains.

the bar that attaches to the pop top at the front has a light bend in it on one side and when it is fully up it sits to one side off centre.

where the bar attaches to the body through the fibreglass nose cone has a slight movement in it. Can this be tightened some how?

Regards

Greg

Thanks Les this helps.

I have removed the radius arms from the pop top and straightened them, but wont they just bend again when they come under load?

Also curious to know how the mounting brackets to the radius arms are secured behind the nose cone. Have you ever seen this?

Also I notice a couple of plastic plugs on the front of the nose cone at each side do you know what they are there for?

Greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Greg,
>
> The radius bar will have to be straightened to stop it folding down without
> centring correctly, particularly now that you have longer struts. Slight
> movement in the mounting of the radius bar will not be a problem so long as
> the bar is symmetrical - I have slight movement in mine.
>
> My struts are original and, when fully up, there is a bit of slackness in
> the sleeve but I have fixed this by making two wooden props that keep it
> taut.
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg
> Sent: 16 September 2012 10:52
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka pop top
>
>
> Hi All, I am wondering if there is a fix to a Trakka pop top with 2 x solar
> panels wanting to come down out square?
>
> So far I have removed the struts and had them checked. He has actually added
> a 100nm to them.
>
> this has made them harder to pull down but they go up easy, but the out of
> square remains.
>
> the bar that attaches to the pop top at the front has a light bend in it on
> one side and when it is fully up it sits to one side off centre.
> Could this be the problem?
>
> where the bar attaches to the body through the fibreglass nose cone has a
> slight movement in it. Can this be tightened some how?
>
> Has anyone had the same experience or pulled one of these apart?
>
> Regards
>
> Greg
>

Greg,

With normal length struts, it will not bend out of shape.  In fact, for it to bend out of shape in the first place, it was probably subjected to a hefty clout when the top was up.

To access the mounting nuts, you will have to drop the head lining.  I am going to have to do mine soon because the radius bar is heavily rusted; it will have to come out to be treated properly.

The plastic caps cover a securing screw on each front corner.  This is to stop the whole top peeling off in the event of adhesive failure.  Mine started separating some time ago and I had to remove the old adhesive and replace it.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg_navarro95
Sent: 16 September 2012 11:17
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Trakka pop top

Thanks Les this helps.

I have removed the radius arms from the pop top and straightened them, but wont they just bend again when they come under load?

Also curious to know how the mounting brackets to the radius arms are secured behind the nose cone. Have you ever seen this?

Also I notice a couple of plastic plugs on the front of the nose cone at each side do you know what they are there for?

Greg

Cheers Les

I am now a full bottle thanks

Greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> Greg,
>
> With normal length struts, it will not bend out of shape. In fact, for it
> to bend out of shape in the first place, it was probably subjected to a
> hefty clout when the top was up.
>
> To access the mounting nuts, you will have to drop the head lining. I am
> going to have to do mine soon because the radius bar is heavily rusted; it
> will have to come out to be treated properly.
>
> The plastic caps cover a securing screw on each front corner. This is to
> stop the whole top peeling off in the event of adhesive failure. Mine
> started separating some time ago and I had to remove the old adhesive and
> replace it.
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg_navarro95
> Sent: 16 September 2012 11:17
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Trakka pop top
>
>
> Thanks Les this helps.
>
> I have removed the radius arms from the pop top and straightened them, but
> won't they just bend again when they come under load?
>
> Also curious to know how the mounting brackets to the radius arms are
> secured behind the nose cone. Have you ever seen this?
>
> Also I notice a couple of plastic plugs on the front of the nose cone at
> each side do you know what they are there for?
>
> Greg
>
Greg,
A past owner 20 years ago of my Trakka told me he had a poptop alignment problem back then. Said it was a cow of a job to correct, given its weight and difficulty to manipulate. I don't recall the details.
To achieve re-alignment, all I can see is that he shifted the drivers side bottom end radius bar fastening bracket toward the rear, maybe 20mm. The bracket positions of the gas struts were not altered. I can just imagine a whole lot of trial and error and angst would have been part of this.

So when I bought this same Trakka back in 2006, I had no poptop alignment problem as such. However the original gas struts were weak, so the poptop was sagging and also tended to not run true up and down ... sort of wobbled about and mostly wouldn't consistently set down centrally as a consequence. The original model Stabila struts have long been NLA and in my view, even if they were available, aren't strong enough to carry the extra solar panel/s weight, hence as you did, I also installed stronger replacement struts.

The extra nM strength of my replacement struts served multiple purposes, to make it easier and achieve a more controlled raising and lowering and, compensate for the extra weight of the solar panel and its frame on top. I also selected struts with larger diameter barrels and shafts than the original Stabilas. Whether or not both these design changes had the desired affect, all I can say is that ever since I installed them, my poptop elevates and drops quite straight and true centrally and in a far more controlled manner. No more wobbling about. The only downside I find is that in cold weather, the struts can tend to be very stiff to work, so harder to raise and lower. However as the ambient temperature rises ... no problem. I'm not really troubled though by this, nor have I queried the strut manufacturer about this finding.

Not sure whether this is relevant to your circumstance, I merely have a Trakka that has had past "form" concerning the function of the poptop and its hardware.

Cheers.

Ken   

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:52:03 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka pop top

Regards

Greg

I have rust in the stabiliser bar in front of the driver. To repair it the head lining must be removed to access the nuts on the other end of the rubber guides to remove the metal bar and replace. A big job! Its the price we pay to have a full length pop top that maximises the interior space. What brand and approx how much did the replacement struts cost because I also have sag to the passenger side and would like to replace them. Is there a poptop alternative that Trakka/Fronline could fit?

May your poptop align!

Dave

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> Greg,A past owner 20 years ago of my Trakka told me he had a poptop alignment problem back then. Said it was a cow of a job to correct, given its weight and difficulty to manipulate. I don't recall the details.To achieve re-alignment, all I can see is that he shifted the drivers side bottom end radius bar fastening bracket toward the rear, maybe 20mm. The bracket positions of the gas struts were not altered. I can just imagine a whole lot of trial and error and angst would have been part of this.
> So when I bought this same Trakka back in 2006, I had no poptop alignment problem as such. However the original gas struts were weak, so the poptop was sagging and also tended to not run true up and down ... sort of wobbled about and mostly wouldn't consistently set down centrally as a consequence. The original model Stabila struts have long been NLA and in my view, even if they were available, aren't strong enough to carry the extra solar panel/s weight, hence as you did, I also installed stronger replacement struts.
> The extra nM strength of my replacement struts served multiple purposes, to make it easier and achieve a more controlled raising and lowering and, compensate for the extra weight of the solar panel and its frame on top. I also selected struts with larger diameter barrels and shafts than the original Stabilas. Whether or not both these design changes had the desired affect, all I can say is that ever since I installed them, my poptop elevates and drops quite straight and true centrally and in a far more controlled manner. No more wobbling about. The only downside I find is that in cold weather, the struts can tend to be very stiff to work, so harder to raise and lower. However as the ambient temperature rises ... no problem. I'm not really troubled though by this, nor have I queried the strut manufacturer about this finding.
> Not sure whether this is relevant to your circumstance, I merely have a Trakka that has had past "form" concerning the function of the poptop and its hardware.
> Cheers.
> Ken
> From: greg_navarro95@...
> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:52:03 +0000
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi All, I am wondering if there is a fix to a Trakka pop top with 2 x solar panels wanting to come down out square?
>
>
>
> So far I have removed the struts and had them checked. He has actually added a 100nm to them.
>
>
>
> this has made them harder to pull down but they go up easy, but the out of square remains.
>
>
>
> the bar that attaches to the pop top at the front has a light bend in it on one side and when it is fully up it sits to one side off centre.
>
>
>
>
> where the bar attaches to the body through the fibreglass nose cone has a slight movement in it. Can this be tightened some how?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Regards
>
>
>
> Greg
>
Dave,

Trakka have NO interest in anything to do with a conversion they did 20+ years ago. You are on your own.

If you have no extra deadload on your poptop (ie solar panel/s etc), probably 500 nM strut pressure would suffice. But you decide.

I can't emphasise enough the importance of ordering the correct end fitting threads as being M10 x 1.5. Also the 16mm diameter ball fitting, which is more on the less common end of the scale.

If you get the correct type/size and thread end fittings, means they will fit exactly onto the existing strut fastening bracket on the ceiling and the ball fitting will fit straight onto the 16mm ball on the fibreglass frame.

The fun really starts when you have to figure out how to physically swap out the old and fit the new! Gets "interesting". Good luck.

Please see my attached re-compiled info concerning the struts I enquired about/ordered and subsequently fitted during 2008. No idea what price they may be today.

I've just saved you about 3 months research work and the need for a self bestowed degree in gas strut rocket science plus locating a supply source.

Cheers.

Ken 

Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 07:51:38 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Trakka pop top

I have rust in the stabiliser bar in front of the driver. To repair it the head lining must be removed to access the nuts on the other end of the rubber guides to remove the metal bar and replace. A big job! Its the price we pay to have a full length pop top that maximises the interior space. What brand and approx how much did the replacement struts cost because I also have sag to the passenger side and would like to replace them. Is there a poptop alternative that Trakka/Fronline could fit?

May your poptop align!

Dave

>
>
>
>
>
> Greg,A past owner 20 years ago of my Trakka told me he had a poptop alignment problem back then. Said it was a cow of a job to correct, given its weight and difficulty to manipulate. I don't recall the details.To achieve re-alignment, all I can see is that he shifted the drivers side bottom end radius bar fastening bracket toward the rear, maybe 20mm. The bracket positions of the gas struts were not altered. I can just imagine a whole lot of trial and error and angst would have been part of this.
> So when I bought this same Trakka back in 2006, I had no poptop alignment problem as such. However the original gas struts were weak, so the poptop was sagging and also tended to not run true up and down ... sort of wobbled about and mostly wouldn't consistently set down centrally as a consequence. The original model Stabila struts have long been NLA and in my view, even if they were available, aren't strong enough to carry the extra solar panel/s weight, hence as you did, I also installed stronger replacement struts.
> The extra nM strength of my replacement struts served multiple purposes, to make it easier and achieve a more controlled raising and lowering and, compensate for the extra weight of the solar panel and its frame on top. I also selected struts with larger diameter barrels and shafts than the original Stabilas. Whether or not both these design changes had the desired affect, all I can say is that ever since I installed them, my poptop elevates and drops quite straight and true centrally and in a far more controlled manner. No more wobbling about. The only downside I find is that in cold weather, the struts can tend to be very stiff to work, so harder to raise and lower. However as the ambient temperature rises ... no problem. I'm not really troubled though by this, nor have I queried the strut manufacturer about this finding.
> Not sure whether this is relevant to your circumstance, I merely have a Trakka that has had past "form" concerning the function of the poptop and its hardware.
> Cheers.
> Ken
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi All, I am wondering if there is a fix to a Trakka pop top with 2 x solar panels wanting to come down out square?
>
>
>
> So far I have removed the struts and had them checked. He has actually added a 100nm to them.
>
>
>
> this has made them harder to pull down but they go up easy, but the out of square remains.
>
>
>
> the bar that attaches to the pop top at the front has a light bend in it on one side and when it is fully up it sits to one side off centre.
>
>
>
>
> where the bar attaches to the body through the fibreglass nose cone has a slight movement in it. Can this be tightened some how?
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Regards
>
>
>
> Greg
>

Ken
I feel honoured and grateful for your info
Many Thanks
Dave

>
>
>
>
>
> Dave,
> Trakka have NO interest in anything to do with a conversion they did 20+ years ago. You are on your own.
> If you have no extra deadload on your poptop (ie solar panel/s etc), probably 500 nM strut pressure would suffice. But you decide.
> I can't emphasise enough the importance of ordering the correct end fitting threads as being M10 x 1.5. Also the 16mm diameter ball fitting, which is more on the less common end of the scale.
> If you get the correct type/size and thread end fittings, means they will fit exactly onto the existing strut fastening bracket on the ceiling and the ball fitting will fit straight onto the 16mm ball on the fibreglass frame.
> The fun really starts when you have to figure out how to physically swap out the old and fit the new! Gets "interesting". Good luck.
> Please see my attached re-compiled info concerning the struts I enquired about/ordered and subsequently fitted during 2008. No idea what price they may be today.
> I've just saved you about 3 months research work and the need for a self bestowed degree in gas strut rocket science plus locating a supply source.
> Cheers.
> Ken
>
> From: davidleibmann@...
> Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 07:51:38 +0000
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Trakka pop top
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I have rust in the stabiliser bar in front of the driver. To repair it the head lining must be removed to access the nuts on the other end of the rubber guides to remove the metal bar and replace. A big job! Its the price we pay to have a full length pop top that maximises the interior space. What brand and approx how much did the replacement struts cost because I also have sag to the passenger side and would like to replace them. Is there a poptop alternative that Trakka/Fronline could fit?
>
>
>
> May your poptop align!
>
>
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@> wrote:
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Greg,A past owner 20 years ago of my Trakka told me he had a poptop alignment problem back then. Said it was a cow of a job to correct, given its weight and difficulty to manipulate. I don't recall the details.To achieve re-alignment, all I can see is that he shifted the drivers side bottom end radius bar fastening bracket toward the rear, maybe 20mm. The bracket positions of the gas struts were not altered. I can just imagine a whole lot of trial and error and angst would have been part of this.
>
> > So when I bought this same Trakka back in 2006, I had no poptop alignment problem as such. However the original gas struts were weak, so the poptop was sagging and also tended to not run true up and down ... sort of wobbled about and mostly wouldn't consistently set down centrally as a consequence. The original model Stabila struts have long been NLA and in my view, even if they were available, aren't strong enough to carry the extra solar panel/s weight, hence as you did, I also installed stronger replacement struts.
>
> > The extra nM strength of my replacement struts served multiple purposes, to make it easier and achieve a more controlled raising and lowering and, compensate for the extra weight of the solar panel and its frame on top. I also selected struts with larger diameter barrels and shafts than the original Stabilas. Whether or not both these design changes had the desired affect, all I can say is that ever since I installed them, my poptop elevates and drops quite straight and true centrally and in a far more controlled manner. No more wobbling about. The only downside I find is that in cold weather, the struts can tend to be very stiff to work, so harder to raise and lower. However as the ambient temperature rises ... no problem. I'm not really troubled though by this, nor have I queried the strut manufacturer about this finding.
>
> > Not sure whether this is relevant to your circumstance, I merely have a Trakka that has had past "form" concerning the function of the poptop and its hardware.
>
> > Cheers.
>
> > Ken
>
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
>
> > From: greg_navarro95@
>
> > Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 00:52:03 +0000
>
> > Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Trakka pop top
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Hi All, I am wondering if there is a fix to a Trakka pop top with 2 x solar panels wanting to come down out square?
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > So far I have removed the struts and had them checked. He has actually added a 100nm to them.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > this has made them harder to pull down but they go up easy, but the out of square remains.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > the bar that attaches to the pop top at the front has a light bend in it on one side and when it is fully up it sits to one side off centre.
>
> >
>
> > Could this be the problem?
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > where the bar attaches to the body through the fibreglass nose cone has a slight movement in it. Can this be tightened some how?
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Has anyone had the same experience or pulled one of these apart?
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Regards
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Greg
>
> >
>
Thanks Ken this helps me.

I have measured the radius bars and there is a 5mm difference in the length of each side so this may be an answer to my original problem.

Greg

>
>
>
>
>
> Cheers.
> Ken
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Regards
>
>
>
> Greg
>

Hello Trakka pop top members.
I am hoping someone can assist me.
I have rusty gutters which need to be repaired but I will need to raise the fibreglass roof to access the steel roof to repair.
Does anyone have or know where to access some instructions on raising the roof.
I will look at fixing some loose stabiliser bars while the roof is raised.
The discussion above is most helpful on that issue.
Thanks
Grant