What tire is the best?

I know this subject comes up often, but designs change.

I just found out the new BF Goodrich A/T K02 has evolved since my last set of this tire.

It is WAY better!

They have wrapped the tread down onto the sidewall (for better traction in sand and mud) and added extra layers into the sidewall for strength.

I have found the biggest tire we can fit is the 30X9.5R 15LT 104S (on a 15" rim).

My old set which I replaced this week owed me nothing reaching almost 100,000 kms.

However they were low on tread and I suffered badly on slippery sections of track.

Here is the link: All-Terrain T/A KO2 4x4 Tyre | Recreational Tyres | Products | BFGoodrich Tires Australia & New Zealand

To fit this tire, cutting of the front guard is needed (angle grinder) and the rear swing arm needs to be cut as well.

Anyway this is my choice for off road. The kms are excellent. Down side is they are noisy on the tar & expensive at $250 each. 

Advice and experience welcome...

PK

In case it is of concern to anyone, the BFG LT215/75R15 100S T/A KO All Terrain tyre often used on T3 syncros here and elsewhere is no longer listed on the BFG USA website, see the following link ...

Goto: http://m.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/size/215/75/15/tires?fromWidget=true

So with the introduction of the new KO2 tyre, seems then the KO tyre is being superseded, any stock left will run out in due course. Now might be the time to snap up any local quantity if needing to match existing KO tyres for whatever reason.

The following BFG Australia link still lists the KO tyre in two 15" sizes, so stock may still be available, subject to enquiry ...

Goto: http://www.bfgoodrich.com.au/product-range/4x4-tyres/4x4-suv-tyres/all-terrain-ta-ko/

So from what PK has said, then there appears to be two dimensionally different tyres available in BFG All Terrain 15", the one he has chosen that requires body modifications to fit and the above first mentioned size that does not. I guess it comes down to choice of width of rubber on the road.

Those of us still running 15" rims no doubt will be relieved to know that with the change to the KO2 model, BFG didn't take the opportunity to drop the 15" tyre from their range as they did previously with the 14", forcing us all to change to another tyre brand or 16" rims.

Cheers.
Ken

-------- Original message --------
From: "kestel.p@bigpond.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 19/11/2015 4:54 PM (GMT+10:00)
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] What tire is the best?

I know this subject comes up often, but designs change.

I just found out the new BF Goodrich A/T K02 has evolved since my last set of this tire.

It is WAY better!

They have wrapped the tread down onto the sidewall (for better traction in sand and mud) and added extra layers into the sidewall for strength.

I have found the biggest tire we can fit is the 30X9.5R 15LT 104S (on a 15" rim).

My old set which I replaced this week owed me nothing reaching almost 100,000 kms.

However they were low on tread and I suffered badly on slippery sections of track.

Here is the link: All-Terrain T/A KO2 4x4 Tyre | Recreational Tyres | Products | BFGoodrich Tires Australia & New Zealand

To fit this tire, cutting of the front guard is needed (angle grinder) and the rear swing arm needs to be cut as well.

Anyway this is my choice for off road. The kms are excellent. Down side is they are noisy on the tar & expensive at $250 each. 

Advice and experience welcome...

PK

Request for pictures of mod to fit big tires on 15" rims.
Use an angle grinder.

PK

Might be a silly question, but the rib removed from the rear swing arm, is that not where the two pressed halves are joined? So removing it weakens the arm?

Richard

Probably.
But it would be a percentage thing. At a guess...a few percent weakening.
I have only removed as little as possible to give clearance.
The metal seems to be fused deep inside the joint.
The final test: 
No one (probably hundreds of owners have done this mod) has ever reported an issue.
I have absolutely pushed my Syncro to the limit (I did this mod 10 years ago) and there is not the slightest evidence of failure.

PK

Thanks, good to know! Tires that size certainly give the Syncro a mean look.

At some stage I will need to get new tires and rims.

Richard

Those new tyres look great! I'm wondering if you can tell me what rims you have them on and what the offset is?
Cheers,
Roger.