Where to get a New Starter Motor

Hello
Mine seems to be getting lazy and this morning the solenoid clicked at each key turn and took about 6 goes to engage the motor.
So either a new starter or a solenoid/starter rebuild or both.. alternatively I just get an auto elec to look at it?
Any thoughts? 

Peter

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Always try a fresh battery first!

Gaëtan Schurrer
lepews@me.com
PO Box 285
Claremont WA 6910
+61 426 813 466

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:06 AM +0800, "richo1166 richo1166@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hello
Mine seems to be getting lazy and this morning the solenoid clicked at each key turn and took about 6 goes to engage the motor.
So either a new starter or a solenoid/starter rebuild or both.. alternatively I just get an auto elec to look at it?
Any thoughts? 

Peter

I would but battery is newish  at 12mths old 500cca and has green indicator..  sits at 12.7v  cranking drops to 11.5v..  charges 13.5v.

I don't think it is battery and only does this clicking business if the syncro has been sitting a couple of days.. seems good atm.. but maybe later this afternoon it will be lazy or solenoid will just click..

-------- Original message --------
From: "lepews@me.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 13/4/19 10:10 (GMT+10:00)
To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com, syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Where to get a New Starter Motor

Always try a fresh battery first!

Gaëtan Schurrer
lepews@me.com
PO Box 285
Claremont WA 6910
+61 426 813 466

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:06 AM +0800, "richo1166 richo1166@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hello
Any thoughts? 

Peter

Go Westy in the USA do a good geared starter for the Syncro.

Cheers,

Dave.

Is this the one you guys were thinking of.?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/engine-exhaust/23528/gear-reduction-starter-manual-

Peter

From: "'David Beckley' david.beckley@cdcwa.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 13/4/19 15:57 (GMT+10:00)
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Where to get a New Starter Motor

Cheers,

Dave.

It’s weird I got some great stuff from Westy and some not so great too.
Example: just got new break shoes and my mechanic said they were poor - PITA to fit as opposed to German ones that just pop in..
Also I got one of their gear shift parts that when fitted, for me stuck in 2nd gear.

OTOH I also got lots of great parts at a good price. Hard to say when or what..

Gaëtan Schurrer
lepews@me.com
PO Box 285
Claremont WA 6910
+61 426 813 466

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 2:04 PM +0800, "richo1166 richo1166@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/engine-exhaust/23528/gear-reduction-starter-manual-

Peter

From: "'David Beckley' david.beckley@cdcwa.com.au [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>

Cheers,

Dave.

Yes , get the battery tested, but if you need a new starter I have a geared starter I bought from GoWesty, used for 2 days, took it out as it didn't spin my Subaru motor fast enough to start cold easily ( I don't have an idle circuit). They are USD $309.95 + $88 shipping = AUD $550 approx, so I'd like to get $400 for it if I can.
It would be fine for a VW motor but the Subaru is higher compression so I now use diesel starter.
Look at the GoWesty article on why VW starters go bad and rebuilts have the same problem.
I am in Adelaide so you can see what freight charge would be.
Bob Turnbull
I have had a Go Westy for 5 years no problems
Peter!

Great to hear from ya. Did you get my msg about your tool?

Cheers
Gaetan

Gaëtan Schurrer
lepews@me.com
PO Box 285
Claremont WA 6910
+61 426 813 466

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 11:06 PM +0800, "peter.kolevas@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Likewise, I am very happy with my Go Westy geared starter which I put in about 4 years ago. Cost was US$299.95, shipping US$82.80.

On Sun, 14 Apr. 2019, 1:06 am peter.kolevas@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia], <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Just Kampers have the Wasp starters for the syncro with locker ( I imagine it is the same one)
I have one in my bus and am real happy with it, even with my DJ engine compression.

Less hassel than buying from Go Westy and the JK crew always have get after sales service.

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 at 16:34, lepews@me.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]
<Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Example: just got new break shoes and my mechanic said they were poor - PITA to fit as opposed to German ones that just pop in..
Also I got one of their gear shift parts that when fitted, for me stuck in 2nd gear.

Gaëtan Schurrer
lepews@me.com
PO Box 285
Claremont WA 6910
+61 426 813 466

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 2:04 PM +0800, "richo1166 richo1166@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Peter

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Nils,
Thanks as I ended up buying a Wosp one off JK.

Sorry Bob..

Peter 

From: "Nils Birkmann nilsbirkmann@yahoo.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 14/4/19 14:46 (GMT+10:00)
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com, syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Where to get a New Starter Motor

Just Kampers have the Wasp starters for the syncro with locker ( I imagine it is the same one)

I have one in my bus and am real happy with it, even with my DJ engine compression.

Less hassel than buying from Go Westy and the JK crew always have get after sales service.

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 at 16:34, lepews@me.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]
<Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Gaëtan Schurrer
lepews@me.com
PO Box 285
Claremont WA 6910
+61 426 813 466

Peter

Cheers,

Dave.

It was 3 yrs ago when I changed them over, it looks the same. They're made for 2 and 4wd, for 4wd you have to rotate starter body 90degrees to clear diff lock actuator, it's straight forward, instructions are easy to follow. I still have used VC and original syncro clutch, both 100,000k excellent condition if anyone interested. 
Paul. 

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5 on the Telstra Mobile Network

From: "richo1166 richo1166@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 13/04/2019 16:04 (GMT+10:00)
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Where to get a New Starter Motor

Peter

Cheers,

Dave.

I  had both my Syncro's starters replaced with go Westy starters, smaller, more powerful, use less power. Installation wasn't too hard. ..bottom stud is removed and replaced with a bolt .Top nut is initially attached to starter flange and all starter electric connections are in engine bay. 
Cheers Paul. 

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY S5 on the Telstra Mobile Network

From: "richo1166 richo1166@gmail.com [Syncro_T3_Australia]" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 13/04/2019 10:06 (GMT+10:00)
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Where to get a New Starter Motor

Hello
Any thoughts? 

Peter