DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale

Did others notice the white1989 twin cab T3 syncro for sale in the car park on the way out? Had a winch on the front. I wrote down the phone numbers if anyone is interested namely 0397581665 or 0438029651 but know nothing else about it/its owner. It looked to me like it could make a good off road vehicle rather than a concours winner.but I would have preferred to have seen matched tread patterns on the front and rear tyres.Talk to Mark about buying his latest acquisition and you might be able to get yourself twin, twin cabs for on and off road. I'll have to suggest to DotVW that next year they have a special categary for twins driving twin twin cabs.

Let us know if anyone follows it up.

Cheers.

Roger

Roger,

This is owned by Ade Burgermeister of Ferntree Gully.  He appeared late in the day and started to ask me questions about diff locks.  It transpired hat he had recently bought a dual cab Syncro with front and rear locks.  Everything that he said suggested that he was driving with both diff locks engaged!!!!!

He was parked where you saw it, so I packed up preparatory to driving him back to his vehicle. 

Fortunately, we stopped to talk to Mark Boys before we moved – and found that Mark had owned this vehicle not too many years back.  I left him with Mark to look at the vehicle and give Ade some basic instruction on diff locks!!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
Sent: 22 November 2010 14:48
To: Syncro Aust Group
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale

Did others notice the white1989 twin cab T3 syncro for sale in the car park on the way out? Had a winch on the front. I wrote down the phone numbers if anyone is interested namely 0397581665 or 0438029651 but know nothing else about it/its owner. It looked to me like it could make a good off road vehicle rather than a concours winner.but I would have preferred to have seen matched tread patterns on the front and rear tyres.Talk to Mark about buying his latest acquisition and you might be able to get yourself twin, twin cabs for on and off road. I'll have to suggest to DotVW that next year they have a special categary for twins driving twin twin cabs.

Cheers.

Roger

Good advice Les otherwise he could have been dragging himself home with the winch. Twin diff locks and a winch eh - could almost get out unscathed from my local shopping centre car park with that gear.Was a purchase figure mentioned?
Interesting the long tentacles of the Register connected up Mark B's previous ownership. I was of course referring to Mark K but it seems a rather swish twin cab is obligatory if you are after top Marks..
Roger

--- On Mon, 22/11/10, Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Monday, 22 November, 2010, 1:48 PM

Roger,

This is owned by Ade Burgermeister of Ferntree Gully.  He appeared late in the day and started to ask me questions about diff locks.  It transpired hat he had recently bought a dual cab Syncro with front and rear locks.  Everything that he said suggested that he was driving with both diff locks engaged!!!!!

He was parked where you saw it, so I packed up preparatory to driving him back to his vehicle. 

Fortunately, we stopped to talk to Mark Boys before we moved – and found that Mark had owned this vehicle not too many years back.  I left him with Mark to look at the vehicle and give Ade some basic instruction on diff locks!!

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Roger Bell

Cheers.

Roger

I wonder how long you can get away with driving on the road with difflocks engaged.  I recently got married and we had a friend drive my wife to the church and afterwards both of us to the reception in my kombi.
I had thought about taping up the difflock knob for safety but then decided not to worry since there was no reason for anyone to pull out the knob.
Everything was fine, they arrived at the church on time after having done a tour around Manly to take extra photos then after the service we all got in to be driven to the reception.  The driver proceeded to do a three point turn on the concrete in the carpark of the church and I noticed straight away that the engine was labouring as if the handbrake was on.  It wasn't, next I looked at the difflock knob and saw in horror that it was out!  I calmly told him that it needed to be pushed in.  He completed the three point turn working very hard at the steering then pulled out into the street and turned hard right.  It didn't unlock until further up the street.  I don't know how long it had been engaged but I was afraid to use it for some time after that in case something was ready to break. 

Neil. 

Sent: Mon, 22 November, 2010 4:48:11 PM

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Is he still your friend?? Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of neil smith
Sent: Tuesday, 23 November 2010 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale

I wonder how long you can get away with driving on the road with difflocks engaged.  I recently got married and we had a friend drive my wife to the church and afterwards both of us to the reception in my kombi.

I had thought about taping up the difflock knob for safety but then decided not to worry since there was no reason for anyone to pull out the knob.

Everything was fine, they arrived at the church on time after having done a tour around Manly to take extra photos then after the service we all got in to be driven to the reception.  The driver proceeded to do a three point turn on the concrete in the carpark of the church and I noticed straight away that the engine was labouring as if the handbrake was on.  It wasn't, next I looked at the difflock knob and saw in horror that it was out!  I calmly told him that it needed to be pushed in.  He completed the three point turn working very hard at the steering then pulled out into the street and turned hard right.  It didn't unlock until further up the street.  I don't know how long it had been engaged but I was afraid to use it for some time after that in case something was ready to break. 

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Put a buzzer on the light with a cancel switch.

> neil smith <jackthebearau@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> I wonder how long you can get away with driving on the road with
> difflocks
> engaged.��������I recently got married and we had a friend����drive my����wife
> to the church
> and afterwards both of us to the reception in my����kombi.
> I had thought about taping up the difflock knob for safety but
> then����decided not
> to worry since there was no reason for anyone to pull out the knob.
> Everything was fine, they arrived at the church on time after having
> done a tour
> around Manly to take extra photos then after the service we all got in
> to be
> driven to the reception.���� The driver proceeded to do a three point turn
> on the
> concrete in the carpark of the church and I noticed straight away that
> the
> engine was labouring as if the handbrake was on.���� It wasn't, next I
> looked at
> the difflock knob and saw in horror that it was out!���� I calmly told him
> that it
> needed to be pushed in.���� He completed the three point turn working very
> hard at
> the steering then pulled out into the street and turned hard right.���� It
> didn't
> unlock until further up the street.���� I don't know how long it had been
> engaged
> but����I was afraid to use it for some time after that in case something
> was ready
> to break.����
>
>
> Neil.����
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Mon, 22 November, 2010 4:48:11 PM
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale
>
> ����
> Roger,
> This is owned by Ade Burgermeister of Ferntree Gully.���� He appeared late
> in the
> day and started to ask me questions about diff locks.���� It transpired
> hat he had
> recently bought a dual cab Syncro with front and rear locks.����
> Everything that he
> said suggested that he was driving with both diff locks engaged!!!!!
> He was parked where you saw it, so I packed up preparatory to driving
> him back
> to his vehicle.����
>
> Fortunately, we stopped to talk to Mark Boys before we moved �������� and
> found that
> Mark had owned this vehicle not too many years back.���� I left him with
> Mark to
> look at the vehicle and give Ade some basic instruction on diff locks!!
> Les
>
> ________________________________
>
> From:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:
> Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
> Sent: 22 November 2010 14:48
> To: Syncro Aust Group
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale
> ����
> ����
> Did others notice the white1989 twin cab T3 syncro for sale in the car
> park on
> the way out? Had a winch on the front. I wrote down the phone numbers if
> anyone
> is interested namely 0397581665 or 0438029651 but know nothing else
> about it/its
> owner. It looked to me like it could make a good off road vehicle rather
> than a
> concours winner.but I would have preferred to have seen����matched tread
> patterns
> on the front and rear tyres.Talk to Mark about buying his latest
> acquisition and
> you might be able to get yourself twin, twin cabs for on and off road.
> I'll have
> to suggest to DotVW that next year they have a special categary for
> twins
> driving twin twin cabs.
> ����
> Let us know if anyone follows it up.
> ����
> Cheers.
> ����
> Roger
>
> ����
>
>
>
>

Neil,

Unfortunately, our vehicles require some "training" to operate properly - we just cant let the un-knowledgeable drive such engineering marvels.

I was lucky with my diff -lock - when it seized on it was along a dirt/ sandy boggy road and I didn't notice until I turned into a caravan park off the dirt road. The caravan park also had gravel/ sand/ mud roads so I could work of the lock to free it up then drive around the park without doing damage as the sandy/ dirt roads allow for good slip.

I have since bought a new actuator and had it aligned so it wont jamb again.

Fingers crossed your diff has survived. Driving around Many is hard work on a vehicle even without a diff-lock engaged.

Cheers,

Skot

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:48 PM

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Congratulations on your marriage Neil  did you go to Cape York for your honeymoon?- hope your diff. wasn't listening to the "'til death do us part" bit of the wedding service.
Cheers
Roger

--- On Tue, 23/11/10, neil smith <jackthebearau@yahoo.com> wrote:

Received: Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, 10:48 AM

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Show us some wedding pics Neil - especially the kombi ones.

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:03 PM

Congratulations on your marriage Neil  did you go to Cape York for your honeymoon?- hope your diff. wasn't listening to the "'til death do us part" bit of the wedding service.
Cheers
Roger

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Yes he is still a friend, just made me cringe on the day.  Nothing went "Bang" and we have since done about 3000k's on the honeymoon so I guess we got away with it although if any of the shafts got twisted I probably wouldn't know yet.
I should have given him instruction on it , I just thought I wouldn't complicate matters by telling him things I didn't think he needed to know.
Thanks for the congrats. Roger, no I thought Cape York may be too much adventure for a honeymoon and too much on our own.  Also, it was a long way to go in two weeks and we needed some R&R after the wedding. We went to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. 
We did go to Fraser Island though for a little bit of adventure.
I will post pictures but can someone please remind me how to do that on this forum since I haven't done it before? 

Thanks,

Neil. 

Sent: Tue, 23 November, 2010 4:00:13 PM

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers
Roger

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

I have a front diff lock and found that it’s almost impossible to steer the syncro on hard ground with the front lock engaged. When the knob is pulled to engage the front lock the engage indicator light above the knob keeps flashing to warn that it is engaged. With these two factors operating one would certainly know that the front diff lock was engaged. If these were not evident then perhaps the diff lock mechanism is not operating.

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of neil smith
Sent: Tuesday, 23 November 2010 10:49 AM

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

I find that with even the rear diff lock it is very hard to turn on anything that is hard(the ground).You would know if they were locked.
It is very important to use the difflocks and decoupler regularly.If not the actuators will get stuck.Or the vaccum will dissipate.(if there is a leak).
If you disconnect the vaccum for any matter,it will take a few in and outs on the switch, to build up the vaccum.
I spray silicone into my actuators when I have them removed.They dont get stuck.
If they get stuck through lack of vaccum,after disconnection,driving in an arc will help the lockers to dissengage.
DO NOT DRIVE ON PAVED SURFACES WITH DIFFLOCKS ENGAGED.

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Yurik Orlowsky" <yuriko@...> wrote:
>
> I have a front diff lock and found that it’s almost impossible to steer the syncro on hard ground with the front lock engaged. When the knob is pulled to engage the front lock the engage indicator light above the knob keeps flashing to warn that it is engaged. With these two factors operating one would certainly know that the front diff lock was engaged. If these were not evident then perhaps the diff lock mechanism is not operating.
>
> Yurik
>
>
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of neil smith
> Sent: Tuesday, 23 November 2010 10:49 AM
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale
>
>
>
>
>
> I wonder how long you can get away with driving on the road with difflocks engaged. I recently got married and we had a friend drive my wife to the church and afterwards both of us to the reception in my kombi.
>
> I had thought about taping up the difflock knob for safety but then decided not to worry since there was no reason for anyone to pull out the knob.
>
> Everything was fine, they arrived at the church on time after having done a tour around Manly to take extra photos then after the service we all got in to be driven to the reception. The driver proceeded to do a three point turn on the concrete in the carpark of the church and I noticed straight away that the engine was labouring as if the handbrake was on. It wasn't, next I looked at the difflock knob and saw in horror that it was out! I calmly told him that it needed to be pushed in. He completed the three point turn working very hard at the steering then pulled out into the street and turned hard right. It didn't unlock until further up the street. I don't know how long it had been engaged but I was afraid to use it for some time after that in case something was ready to break.
>
>
>
> Neil.
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: Les Harris <leslieharris@...>
> Sent: Mon, 22 November, 2010 4:48:11 PM
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale
>
>
>
> Roger,
>
> This is owned by Ade Burgermeister of Ferntree Gully. He appeared late in the day and started to ask me questions about diff locks. It transpired hat he had recently bought a dual cab Syncro with front and rear locks. Everything that he said suggested that he was driving with both diff locks engaged!!!!!
>
> He was parked where you saw it, so I packed up preparatory to driving him back to his vehicle.
>
> Fortunately, we stopped to talk to Mark Boys before we moved â€" and found that Mark had owned this vehicle not too many years back. I left him with Mark to look at the vehicle and give Ade some basic instruction on diff locks!!
>
> Les
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
> Sent: 22 November 2010 14:48
> To: Syncro Aust Group
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] DotVW -Twin Cab Syncro for sale
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Did others notice the white1989 twin cab T3 syncro for sale in the car park on the way out? Had a winch on the front. I wrote down the phone numbers if anyone is interested namely 0397581665 or 0438029651 but know nothing else about it/its owner. It looked to me like it could make a good off road vehicle rather than a concours winner.but I would have preferred to have seen matched tread patterns on the front and rear tyres.Talk to Mark about buying his latest acquisition and you might be able to get yourself twin, twin cabs for on and off road. I'll have to suggest to DotVW that next year they have a special categary for twins driving twin twin cabs.
>
>
>
> Let us know if anyone follows it up.
>
>
>
> Cheers.
>
>
>
> Roger
>
I have dual lock on my tristar look alike ;-) When the engage knob is pulled I only see the indicator light is just on instead of flashing.

Mine is '87 with factory diff lock.

Pat

Sent from my BlackBerry® by dtac.

Sender: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:06:59 +0800
To: <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

I have a front diff lock and found that it’s almost impossible to steer the syncro on hard ground with the front lock engaged. When the knob is pulled to engage the front lock the engage indicator light above the knob keeps flashing to warn that it is engaged. With these two factors operating one would certainly know that the front diff lock was engaged. If these were not evident then perhaps the diff lock mechanism is not operating.

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Neil,

I have found you can just attach them to your email. That works for  me but not others.

I have never been able to post pictures on the site despite a few attempts. Ben C is fairly good at it - he may be able to explain the process and I can listen in on the tutorial.

I am very keen to do the Fraser Island trip with the Boss & the kids - I wonder if its any different to what it was like about 17 years ago when the Boss and I did it?

Cheers,

Skot

Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:10 PM

Yes he is still a friend, just made me cringe on the day.  Nothing went "Bang" and we have since done about 3000k's on the honeymoon so I guess we got away with it although if any of the shafts got twisted I probably wouldn't know yet.
I should have given him instruction on it , I just thought I wouldn't complicate matters by telling him things I didn't think he needed to know.
Thanks for the congrats. Roger, no I thought Cape York may be too much adventure for a honeymoon and too much on our own.  Also, it was a long way to go in two weeks and we needed some R&R after the wedding. We went to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. 
We did go to Fraser Island though for a little bit of adventure.
I will post pictures but can someone please remind me how to do that on this forum since I haven't done it before? 

Thanks,

Neil. 

Sent: Tue, 23 November, 2010 4:00:13 PM

Cheers,

Skot

Cheers
Roger

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

I need to make a slight correction to the action of the front diff lock warning light, it flashes when it is selected and when engagement occurs the light stays on all the time. That is the warning indicator lights have two different sequences when the diff locks are selected. If the front diff lock is selected the warning light flashes and as soon as the lock engages the light stays on continuously. When the rear diff lock is selected, the warming light does not flash but only lights up once the lock has engaged properly.

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of thaivwclub@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, 23 November 2010 6:33 PM

I have dual lock on my tristar look alike ;-) When the engage knob is pulled I only see the indicator light is just on instead of flashing.

Pat

I have a front diff lock and found that it’s almost impossible to steer the syncro on hard ground with the front lock engaged. When the knob is pulled to engage the front lock the engage indicator light above the knob keeps flashing to warn that it is engaged.  With these two factors operating one would certainly know that the front diff lock was engaged.  If these were not evident then perhaps the diff lock mechanism is not operating.

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Thanks Yurik for the reply. Now I think I have to check my difflock switch if it's broken cos I never seen it flashes just one.

Pat, Thailand

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:29:48 +0800
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Diff lock warning lamps

I need to make a slight correction to the action of the front diff lock warning light, it flashes when it is selected and when engagement occurs the light stays on all the time. That is the warning indicator lights have two different sequences when the diff locks are selected. If the front diff lock is selected the warning light flashes and as soon as the lock engages the light stays on continuously. When the rear diff lock is selected, the warming light does not flash but only lights up once the lock has engaged properly.

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of thaivwclub@yahoo.com

Pat

I have a front diff lock and found that it’s almost impossible to steer the syncro on hard ground with the front lock engaged. When the knob is pulled to engage the front lock the engage indicator light above the knob keeps flashing to warn that it is engaged.  With these two factors operating one would certainly know that the front diff lock was engaged.  If these were not evident then perhaps the diff lock mechanism is not operating.

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

When it is "engaging" , what r u looking at Pat ^^?

Hanniboon , TH

Sent from Hanniboon BlackBerry® by dtac.

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 17:25:35 +0000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Diff lock warning lamps

Thanks Yurik for the reply. Now I think I have to check my difflock switch if it's broken cos I never seen it flashes just one.

Pat, Thailand

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:29:48 +0800

Yurik

Pat

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Pat, on my Tristar the indicator for the front lock IS flashing when engaged. Hart

Sent: Tuesday, 23 November 2010 9:33 PM

Pat

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Yurik, you are right here, mine is the same. Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Yurik Orlowsky
Sent: Wednesday, 24 November 2010 1:30 AM

I need to make a slight correction to the action of the front diff lock warning light, it flashes when it is selected and when engagement occurs the light stays on all the time. That is the warning indicator lights have two different sequences when the diff locks are selected. If the front diff lock is selected the warning light flashes and as soon as the lock engages the light stays on continuously. When  the rear diff lock is selected, the warming light does not flash but only lights up once the lock has engaged properly.

Yurik

Pat

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger

Pat , I am wrong here, it flashes when the knob is pulled and when engaged it is a steady green light, just as Yurik pointed out. Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Hartmut Kiehn
Sent: Wednesday, 24 November 2010 6:49 AM

Pat, on my Tristar the indicator for the front lock IS  flashing when engaged.   Hart

Sent: Tuesday, 23 November 2010 9:33 PM

Pat

Yurik

Neil. 

Roger,

Les

Cheers.

Roger