Electric Syncro

This is something we may all need to do to keep our syncros on the road unfortunately…

1 Like

Very interesting Scott…though with all the room taken up with those batteries I can’t see where you’d cook, sit and sleep.

Agree, its a massive compromise and there is a again the danger of fire during charging which is very high in these vehicles.

There have been quite a few that have burnt to the ground whilst charging and I’m sure they would cost a lot to charge and considerably more to replace the batteries at the end of their lifespan (which doesn’t appear to be long)…

Maybe wait for a hydrogen system???

Interesting, on my Syncro quest I contacted one of the Australian EV conversion companies and the ceo said a Syncro was his dream conversion, mine too. This will happen in Australia soon enough I think as long as a few stay structurally sound to make it a worthwhile project. Quiet a few other VW models have been converted in WA. Watch this space.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s practical on a Syncro to have two motors, one front and one rear. With electronics you can split the torque nd have constant 4WD and reduce the load on the rear diff.

Maybe even four motors like Tesla use on their SUV model.

They have massive power and traction.

Yes 4 motors would make sense, no differentials or gear boxes, no diff locks or VC’s needed any more, just some smart electronics and off you go.
Once there is a practical way to increase the range they will have to take over the market.

Still don’t know why manufacturers have not standardized on a battery pack that you can “swap and go” with.

That would help.

I spoke to a taxi driver the other day with one of those Camry hybrid cars and he said it cost the company $3800 for a couple of new battery cells (not all of them) for his Camry which was 6 years old.

This is with the taxi companies bulk buy discount.

Making them standard for cars would be the same as making them standard for mobile phones - cant see that ever happening unfortunately.

I actually love the idea of keeping the Syncro drivetrain and simply swap the motor.
I can see the heating / AC is a bit of work, and some cooling for the electric motor.
But in terms of batteries, I would just have one pack replacing the fuel tank space and maybe another in my unused spare tyre well, and then for long range have a trailer to carry as much or as little as needed. That way the entire inner space can be kept as was.

1 Like

Part 2.

Not sure about the colour!

Just wondering on the vacuum system for the brakes and the diff locks?

Where do you get a vacuum system from when you only have an electric motor?

Do they run a separate pump like they will need to for the A/C and the power steering?

Loads of issues to think about in the electric conversion of these old tanks!

By the way - I really dislike the colour - the silver was loads better.

I don;t mind the green, not a fan of the black edging though :slight_smile:
Electric for vacuum should not be hard to generate, and power steer/AC would have to be common in electric cars today.
Just wondering why you’d keep the Syncro GB? Two diff’s and two electric motors would make more sense? But I guess a whole lot more to instal and control.
120kw, and no decoupler!!

1 Like

Agree the decoupler is an odd thing.
I think the gearbox/ front diff wouldn’t mind the smoother power delivery from the electric motor - which would help cope with the power and torque of the electric motor.

Are we missing something here with all this electrification on a Syncro - if the electric powered Syncro is for local/main Highway use, then fine. But if you want to use its full bush track capability then it would be best to stick with an ICE - longer range and can carry extra fuel. I do admire the electric vehicle, however like most things it does have its limitations.

1 Like

I guess it’s just another option. Everyone customises their van to their own tastes and uses.
I’m sure there are Syncro’s that would not venture far enough for battery range and charging to be an issue. It’s nice to know what’s out there and what others are achieving.

Good point Richard, I did misfire on why we each ‘love’ our Syncros.

Just thinking out aloud on a dual motor version, the front axle is really only there for when you need extra traction. So, it would not need to be a large power motor. Just enough to get you unstuck, so typically is low speed.

What about a hybrid syncro with an ICE in its usual place, the VW syncro box, then an electric motor to drive both front and rear diffs - so basically the electric motor spins the shaft coming onto it and then out.

Seems the new larger ute vehicles come with a hybrid system of a twin turbo 4 cyl engine that drives the front wheels and that is coupled with an electric motor that drives the rear axle.

At least the ICE would charge the vehicle all the time its required and save you from waiting in a huge line up for a charging station at a servo.

I watched this last night. There’s mention of an AWD version soon. This might be the way forward rather than converting. Keep the Syncro in the shed for special outings!

I do find it a little funny, when I restored my T2 (2001) I wondered then how long fuel would be readily available and how long I could keep it on the road. 22 years later and I’m still wondering the same thing!