Fw: Puch badges

The following current Ebay ad is for up to 20 new Puch emblems for T3's.
at a" buy it now" price of 2.99 Euros (approx A$4.65 each) Presumably 2 needed unless you always park next to a wall. Don't know have they are fixed.

My German gives out after Donner und Blitzen but they seem to be saying they are "original Puch".  Presume they are metal even enamelled. I'm tempted as my vehicle was probably more Steyer Puch assembled than the 1989 ? models which came with them as standard. Anyone else interested for a either a bulk purchase to save postage or to purchase individually? Be interested in comments if anyone knows more about the supplier/goods or reads German.
 Cheers
Roger

See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now.

Roger,

I went throught this exercise a little while ago ...... probably while you were away sunning yourself on the Riviera or someplace else exotic ... haha

My German is only as good as Google will let it be, but I think what is on offer there is basically a plastic type stick-on emblem, hence the low price. Those come up on eBay just about as regularly as Fly Buy Kevs overseas trips. Just for interest, I've attached some Puch pics of what I've seen on the net or eBay ... the most genuine one is the one labelled "Puch metal badge 20 euro". That's pretty close or is the real deal for Syncro but at 40 euro for two plus shipping, you might have to displace your next Tassie trip to pay for them. Some of the attached examples are too big.

As a compromise, I ended up with 3 smaller badges in metal, one for each side and one for the recess where the pull knob for the front diflock would be if I had one ..... a most appropriate spot I thought for a Puch badge given the link with Steyer Puch for the Syncro drive-train componentry.

Ended up these badges I bought were almost $10 each, bought them in Sydney and believe it or not .... made just across the ditch in NZ. It's the first one listed, marked "1.PUCH 23mm logo pin badge". I'm pretty happy with it.

Food for thought maybe.

Cheers.

Ken  

To: syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:41:48 -0800
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fw: Puch badges

at a" buy it now" price of 2.99 Euros (approx A$4.65 each) Presumably 2 needed unless you always park next to a wall. Don't know have they are fixed.

My German gives out after Donner und Blitzen but they seem to be saying they are "original Puch".  Presume they are metal even enamelled. I'm tempted as my vehicle was probably more Steyer Puch assembled than the 1989 ? models which came with them as standard. Anyone else interested for a either a bulk purchase to save postage or to purchase individually? Be interested in comments if anyone knows more about the supplier/goods or reads German.
 Cheers
Roger

If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK Shopping Trolley Mechanic
Roger and All,

>they seem to be saying they are "original Puch".

Jep, that's what they are saying.

>Presume they are metal even enamelled.

Sorry, these are stickers (the German word "Aufkleber", written in red in the ad, means "sticker" or "decal" in English).

>if anyone knows more about the supplier/goods or reads German.

Sorry again, donno much about the supplier. His internet site "www.der-bus-shop.de" and his ebay-shop "der-bus-shop" do suggest, however, that he deals wiht a lot of spare parts and performance accesories for T1's, T2's, T3's, T4's and T5's for example.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I could be of further help! I am German, live in Germany and am a freelance translator working in the language combination English/German :)

Cheers

Joachim

Hi Roger,

Sorry to spoil your dreams of an original Puch badge. Then again what do get these days for  $ 4.65 ?? , some carrots  or an AUFKLEBER  --sticker—that’s what it says . what a pity, I would have bought one too as mine has only one fitted.   hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
Sent: Tuesday, 19 January 2010 10:42 PM
To: Syncro Aust Group

Cheers

Roger

For the information of newer members, Joachim travelled Australia in an ex German Police Syncro, which he converted into a well equipped camper, about five years ago.  He shipped it to Australia , toured very extensively (including Tasmania ) and shipped it home at the end.  Joachim is an early member of our group who was inactive while he was studying but back on deck now.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of veilofhiddenes
Sent: 20 January 2010 04:29
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Fw: Puch badges

Roger and All,

>they seem to be saying they are "original Puch". 

Jep, that's what they are saying.

>Presume they are metal even enamelled.

Sorry, these are stickers (the German word "Aufkleber", written in red in the ad, means "sticker" or "decal" in English).

>if anyone knows more about the supplier/goods or reads German.

Sorry again, donno much about the supplier. His internet site "www.der-bus- shop.de" and his ebay-shop "der-bus-shop" do suggest, however, that he deals wiht a lot of spare parts and performance accesories for T1's, T2's, T3's, T4's and T5's for example.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I could be of further help! I am German, live in Germany and am a freelance translator working in the language combination English/German :)

Cheers

Joachim

Roger,

I can assure you these are small stickers and not badges.  I read German but better than that (or worse) I actually bought a pair of these and although they are cheap, the guy doesn't accept paypal so while I was trying to find a way to pay for them he slapped an unpaid item dispute on me and I had to get an international money order to pay for them which ended up costing about $40.00 all up, I can't remember the exact amount but they were the most expensive stickers I have ever bought and they aren't on my vehicle. The stickers look ok but not sure how durable they would be in the Aussie sun.  I got the impression that the guy runs his ebay shop part time as a side line and has a day job as well.

Neil.

To: Syncro Aust Group <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, 19 January, 2010 10:41:48 PM

Cheers
Roger

Think I was very lucky to meet several group members while travelling OZ.

Great joy to remember these friendly guys and the fab hours spent together!

Hope to be able to give the group something back and very sorry I've been offline for such a long time.

Joachim

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@...> wrote:
>
> For the information of newer members, Joachim travelled Australia in an ex
> German Police Syncro, which he converted into a well equipped camper, about
> five years ago. He shipped it to Australia, toured very extensively
> (including Tasmania) and shipped it home at the end. Joachim is an early
> member of our group who was inactive while he was studying but back on deck
> now.
>
> Les
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of veilofhiddenes
> Sent: 20 January 2010 04:29
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Fw: Puch badges
>
>
>
>
>
> Roger and All,
>
> >they seem to be saying they are "original Puch".
>
> Jep, that's what they are saying.
>
> >Presume they are metal even enamelled.
>
> Sorry, these are stickers (the German word "Aufkleber", written in red in
> the ad, means "sticker" or "decal" in English).
>
> >if anyone knows more about the supplier/goods or reads German.
>
> Sorry again, donno much about the supplier. His internet site
> "www.der-bus-shop.de" and his ebay-shop "der-bus-shop" do suggest, however,
> that he deals wiht a lot of spare parts and performance accesories for T1's,
> T2's, T3's, T4's and T5's for example.
>
> Hope this helps. Please let me know if I could be of further help! I am
> German, live in Germany and am a freelance translator working in the
> language combination English/German :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Joachim
>
I see that Ken is missing a Puch badge his collection of images. Some years ago, I got ahold of a few Pinzgauer 710 front badges. That was some years ago and have sold most of them. They are of some sort of aluminium alloy and painted body-colour once installed. Each circle is about 100mm in diameter. Here's a sample on a Pinz:
They are rather large and look a but out of place in a T3 IMHO. I have seen them installed in the rear of the vans by those I sold badges to.
On a separate note, an Aussie called Simon Glen in OZ had someone making resin castings of the original filigree Puch badge on the side of some Syncros. They were quite accurate in appearance as they were direct castings except for the solid back. They came painted silver and cost about US$10 at the time. Perhaps someone here knows Simon. He wrote a book about VW's.
Have not communicated with him in some time though.
--
BenT
Hello All
Have air-con trouble. The rubber part of the clutch on
the compressor has gone kaput. Possibly caused by too high a head
pressure. This apparently can be caused by not enough air flow over
the condenser.

They say the only way to tell really what the problem is, is to fix
the clutch then do measurements from there. About $250

It has run really well for 9 years.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bruce
Bruce,
Don't know but probably Yurik may have the answers.
For starters, might be simpler to buy a complete new compressor/clutch/double pulley assembly.
If you do, I bought a replacement compressor for my Prestige ac system from a Rockhampton auto ac outlet. Not yet fitted.
Ken

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:20:54 +1000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Air-conditioning

Hello All
the condenser.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bruce

Browse profiles for FREE View photos of singles in your area!

Hi Bruce,

Did you perhaps have the system serviced ? The total refrigerant amount in the system is critical. If it’s too much refrigerant in the evaporator the system is going to flood and you end up with liquid refrigerant on the pistons, this can stall a compressor, and cause it to burn out. Way back I had to modify some 30 Benz Meat Trucks in Swaziland by installing an oil separator into the suction line to overcome this problem. You don’t have to do this, if the coolant amount is correct you should not have a problem, unless your system is on the blink........hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alison & Bruce Black
Sent: Thursday, 21 January 2010 2:21 PM

Hello All
the condenser.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bruce

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. In light of this my Syncro will continue to avoid advertising any relationship with Uncle Steyer Puch.
Nice of Joachim to chip in again. I well remember enjoying reading of his exploits on this forum a few years back. Pity he didn't leave it in Australia although I seem to remember the 1.6 diesel struggled a bit with the distances and load plus probably imported it on a carnet which obliged him to reexport it or pay sunstantial duty.
Cheers
Roger

--- On Wed, 20/1/10, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@live.com.au> wrote:

Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Fw: Puch badges
Received: Wednesday, 20 January, 2010, 5:47 AM

Hi Roger,

Sorry to spoil your dreams of an original Puch badge. Then again what do get these days for  $ 4.65 ?? , some carrots  or an AUFKLEBER  --sticker—that’s what it says . what a pity, I would have bought one too as mine has only one fitted.   hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com [mailto:Syncro_ T3_Australia@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Roger Bell
Sent: Tuesday, 19 January 2010 10:42 PM
To: Syncro Aust Group
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Fw: Puch badges

Cheers

Roger

Thanks Ken and Hartis
Haven't had it serviced, Worked OK a month or
so back the last hot day we had.

I'm getting the compressor fixed so they can try and find the
problem. Hopefully not pouring money down the drain. But that is the
price of the syncro "hobby".

Bruce
Bruce,
Further to what Hartmut is saying about critical quantities of refrigerant oil, maybe the following Technical Bulletin specifying oil quantities is relevant to air-con systems in Oz, the same as for the US vanagon ac systems in this VAG Bulletin.

Goto: http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/vanagon/vwretrofit.pdf

Then again, maybe for the air-con technicians, maybe all this spec stuff is just ..... ho hum. Don't know.

Cheers.
Ken

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:59:02 +1100
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Air-conditioning

Hi Bruce,

Did you perhaps have the system serviced ? The total refrigerant amount in the system is critical. If it’s too much refrigerant in the evaporator the system is going to flood and you end up with liquid refrigerant on the pistons, this can stall a compressor, and cause it to burn out. Way back I had to modify some 30 Benz Meat Trucks in Swaziland by installing an oil separator into the suction line to overcome this problem. You don’t have to do this, if the coolant amount is correct you should not have a problem, unless your system is on the blink....... .hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com [mailto:Syncro_ T3_Australia@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Alison & Bruce Black
Sent: Thursday, 21 January 2010 2:21 PM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Air-conditioning

Hello All
the condenser.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bruce

Learn how Video chat with Windows Live Messenger

Bruce,

Can you elaborate on “the rubber part of the clutch” .  An A/C clutch is metal to metal engagement by an electromagnet, there is no rubber parts.  Perhaps the “rubber” reference is to the shaft seal which is made of rubber and ceramic washers. This seal could be damaged by excessive pressure of the refrigerant if the second stage  fan ceases operating (faulty pressure switch/wiring) or if the condenser is blocked (by mud, excessive insect build up etc). Insufficient cooling of the refrigerant could result in exceeding the maximum HP rating of the compressor.  I presume this is what they found by doing a pressure test with nitrogen gas.

I would be inclined to put the $250 towards a new compressor rather than renewing the seal on a worn unit. Ken could give you costing on a new compressor as he indicated making a purchase recently.

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Alison & Bruce Black
Sent: Thursday, 21 January 2010 11:21 AM

Hello All
the condenser.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bruce

Yurik,
You'd probably love this  ....
Goto: http://home.earthlink.net/~mark.cumnock/westfalia/id35.html
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:18:28 +0800
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Air-conditioning

Bruce,

Can you elaborate on “the rubber part of the clutch” .  An A/C clutch is metal to metal engagement by an electromagnet, there is no rubber parts.  Perhaps the “rubber” reference is to the shaft seal which is made of rubber and ceramic washers. This seal could be damaged by excessive pressure of the refrigerant if the second stage  fan ceases operating (faulty pressure switch/wiring) or if the condenser is blocked (by mud, excessive insect build up etc). Insufficient cooling of the refrigerant could result in exceeding the maximum HP rating of the compressor.  I presume this is what they found by doing a pressure test with nitrogen gas.

I would be inclined to put the $250 towards a new compressor rather than renewing the seal on a worn unit. Ken could give you costing on a new compressor as he indicated making a purchase recently.

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com [mailto:Syncro_ T3_Australia@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Alison & Bruce Black
Sent: Thursday, 21 January 2010 11:21 AM
To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Air-conditioning

Hello All
the condenser.

Any thoughts anyone.

Bruce

If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK Shopping Trolley Mechanic
Ken & Yurik
                  As it turns out the compressor is completely shot. So that solves that problem.

As you say Yurik most likely caused by insufficient cooling of the refrigerant. As I live in a rather warm spot it probably means I need a little extra cooling. Both stages of the radiator fan are working. 

So looks like I either forget about air-con or a pile of money for a fix that will last. 

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

On 21/01/2010, at 10:18 PM, Yurik Orlowsky wrote:

Bruce,

Yurik

Bruce,
Welcome aboard the SCASIG (Syncro Cactus Air-con Special Interest Group), always looking for new recruits.
Is your compressor an oldish Sanden model? Mine is and I've been warned off them and reconditioning them is not a viable option.

Older compressors like the Sanden in my Prestige system have "flared" connectors on the refrigerant lines, apparently all new compressors now have "O" ring connectors, meaning not only do you have to buy a new type compressor, you also have to decide how to best connect your old "flared" connector refrigerant lines to the newer "O" ring compressor connectors. As Malcolm Frazer once said, (pants up I think), "life wasn't meant to be easy!"

That's the stumbling block I'm still mulling over ... either just add adaptors to both lines or get the refrigerant hose connectors changed over to "O" ring type connectors so as to avoid adding adaptors (meaning more connections to leak and also messier in an already congested engine bay).

That's just stage one. Then there's other things probably would be astute to replace at the same time like TX valve and Receiver-Drier and get the system properly flushed of contaminants, debris. You don't want to contaminate the new compressor. Yurik is the expert on this if you have questions, I'm simply facing a similar problem to yours and trying to work through the minefield. Of course, throwing wads of cash at it can solve the problem.

I'd be very interested to hear any feedback from you as to how you proceed with the air-con fix ok, if you proceed. Thanks.
Cheers.
Ken.

Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:41:06 +1000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Air-conditioning

Ken & Yurik
                  As it turns out the compressor is completely shot. So that solves that problem.

As you say Yurik most likely caused by insufficient cooling of the refrigerant. As I live in a rather warm spot it probably means I need a little extra cooling. Both stages of the radiator fan are working. 

So looks like I either forget about air-con or a pile of money for a fix that will last. 

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

On 21/01/2010, at 10:18 PM, Yurik Orlowsky wrote:

Bruce,

Yurik

Browse profiles for FREE View photos of singles in your area!
Maybe it's just old and at the end of its life.

> Alison & Bruce Black <royalb@aapt.net.au> wrote:
>
> Ken & Yurik
> As it turns out the compressor is completely shot.
> So that solves that problem.
>
> As you say Yurik most likely caused by insufficient cooling of the
> refrigerant.
HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY TO ALL  

Happy to be a member of the SCASIG. At this stage it looks like I definitely need a new compressor and maybe a few other things as well as an extra condenser. The Sanden SD7H15 compressor was only 8 years old but it is totally kaput. 

I think we may be going back to a spray bottle filled with water and forget about air-con!!

Not only that the backside collapsed on my 18 year old after-market Stratos drivers seat the other day. A new one is $850 so hopefully it can be repaired. Probably can't complain about $850 though, I think they were about $600 each in 1992.

That's life with an elderly Syncro

Bruce

On 23/01/2010, at 11:37 PM, Ken Garratt wrote:

Bruce,
Welcome aboard the SCASIG (Syncro Cactus Air-con Special Interest Group), always looking for new recruits.
Is your compressor an oldish Sanden model? Mine is and I've been warned off them and reconditioning them is not a viable option.

Older compressors like the Sanden in my Prestige system have "flared" connectors on the refrigerant lines, apparently all new compressors now have "O" ring connectors, meaning not only do you have to buy a new type compressor, you also have to decide how to best connect your old "flared" connector refrigerant lines to the newer "O" ring compressor connectors. As Malcolm Frazer once said, (pants up I think), "life wasn't meant to be easy!"

That's the stumbling block I'm still mulling over ... either just add adaptors to both lines or get the refrigerant hose connectors changed over to "O" ring type connectors so as to avoid adding adaptors (meaning more connections to leak and also messier in an already congested engine bay).

That's just stage one. Then there's other things probably would be astute to replace at the same time like TX valve and Receiver-Drier and get the system properly flushed of contaminants, debris. You don't want to contaminate the new compressor. Yurik is the expert on this if you have questions, I'm simply facing a similar problem to yours and trying to work through the minefield. Of course, throwing wads of cash at it can solve the problem.

I'd be very interested to hear any feedback from you as to how you proceed with the air-con fix ok, if you proceed. Thanks.
Cheers.
Ken.