Headlight Protectors

Mark Boys has a set of clip-on headlight protectors on his Doka, which he got many years ago from overseas.   Has anyone seen anything similarlocally?   Ben T, have you seen these protectors anywhere?

Les

They are great. He said  he got them from Canada. The thing I really liked was you can remove the entire grille and they stay on the grille.  Mark said they are no longer produced. Greg E

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011 12:41 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors

Mark Boys has a set of clip-on headlight protectors on his Doka, which he got many years ago from overseas.   Has anyone seen anything similarlocally?   Ben T, have you seen these protectors anywhere?
Les

Les,

I have a set of the original OZ VW part. I also got a few aftermarket sets from Bus Depot some years back.

Per Ron Salmon, owner of B.D., they are out of production. I suggested asking Trevor (aka the Skylight Guy) who also bought the tooling for Delta Six (maker of Westfalia utility ports) if he can return these to production. No final yet but should happen. Trevor's specialty is plastics.

BenT
sent from my electronic leash

On Nov 10, 2011, at 5:41 PM, "syncroaustralia" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Les

Ben,

The Australian protectors were attached to the grille with double sided tape.  This was a totally mad concept and appears to have been predicated on the notion that no dust ever got behind them and that the head lights never needed cleaning.   The whole grille has to be removed to clean them!!   I still have my originals but modified them to a screw on attachment to make for easier cleaning.

Are you referring to the glued-on protector or the snap-on protector in the second paragraph?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 11 November 2011 13:35
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors

Les,

I have a set of the original OZ VW part. I also got a few aftermarket sets from Bus Depot some years back.

Per Ron Salmon, owner of B.D., they are out of production. I suggested asking Trevor (aka the Skylight Guy) who also bought the tooling for Delta Six (maker of Westfalia utility ports) if he can return these to production. No final yet but should happen. Trevor's specialty is plastics.

BenT

Les,

Both units I have are clip-ons. I don't have them handy or will post a pic. The Aussie ones say VW Australia or something like that. Thin lines across the face. The US knockoffs were very similar except no lines and no VW logos. There were several different brand being sold at one time even dark tinted versions. Quality was spotty. Then rather suddenly, the supply dried up. It was unexpected as the units were not identical suggesting there was more than one manufacturer.

As Greg mentioned, all these covers clip on/off and comes off with the grill if so desired. The clip on feature is a necessity in most places in the US where headlight covers are technically illegal unless it was installed by the manufacturer (VW in this case).

BenT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 6:48 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Ben,

The Australian protectors were attached to the grille with double sided tape.  This was a totally mad concept and appears to have been predicated on the notion that no dust ever got behind them and that the head lights never needed cleaning.   The whole grille has to be removed to clean them!!   I still have my originals but modified them to a screw on attachment to make for easier cleaning.

Are you referring to the glued-on protector or the snap-on protector in the second paragraph?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 11 November 2011 13:35

Les,

BenT

Ben,

I have learned something there.   I wasn’t aware that clip-ons were ever available in Australia and as genuine parts.  (Phill will probably know more about that.)   I can now reasonably conclude that what is fitted to mine was a Trakka addition.   Like most of what Trakka did, it was poorly conceived and poorly executed.   If you don’t need the Australian clip-ons that you have, I would certainly like to acquire them.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 11 November 2011 13:59

Les,

Both units I have are clip-ons. I don't have them handy or will post a pic. The Aussie ones say VW Australia or something like that. Thin lines across the face. The US knockoffs were very similar except no lines and no VW logos. There were several different brand being sold at one time even dark tinted versions. Quality was spotty. Then rather suddenly, the supply dried up. It was unexpected as the units were not identical suggesting there was more than one manufacturer.

As Greg mentioned, all these covers clip on/off and comes off with the grill if so desired. The clip on feature is a necessity in most places in the US where headlight covers are technically illegal unless it was installed by the manufacturer (VW in this case).

BenT

Hi Les,

I have a substantial amount invested in LHD headlights. This is the reason why I have headlight covers. I would love to accommodate you but the OZ covers are naturalized US citizens (notice all the Z's). 

I could possibly get you some of the copies once they are reproduced. The only thing which make them different from the OZ versions are the P/N, useless lines, and logos.;-)

BenT

sent from my covered headlamps

On Nov 10, 2011, at 7:06 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Ben,

I have learned something there.   I wasn’t aware that clip-ons were ever available in Australia and as genuine parts.  (Phill will probably know more about that.)   I can now reasonably conclude that what is fitted to mine was a Trakka addition.   Like most of what Trakka did, it was poorly conceived and poorly executed.   If you don’t need the Australian clip-ons that you have, I would certainly like to acquire them.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
Sent: 11 November 2011 13:59

Les,

BenT

If it’s not a totally silly question, why are you ‘investing’ in LH drive headlights?

Sent: 11 November 2011 14:31

Hi Les,

I have a substantial amount invested in LHD headlights. This is the reason why I have headlight covers. I would love to accommodate you but the OZ covers are naturalized US citizens (notice all the Z's). 

,___

The original headlight protectors sold as a Volkswagen accessory were the stick on type. (VA 088 500)
Later aftermarket ones were clip on Aunger brand (HLP-8207) They were sold through Repco and also fitted some sort of Suzuki. I bought some NOS from a Repco store in Perth a few years ago.

Let me know if anyone finds a supply.

An alternative is the steel mesh type, but I cannot remember who makes them. They look like an option from the Panzer division.

Phill

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> The Australian protectors were attached to the grille with double sided
> tape. This was a totally mad concept and appears to have been
> predicated on
> the notion that no dust ever got behind them and that the head lights
> never
> needed cleaning. The whole grille has to be removed to clean them!!
> I
> still have my originals but modified them to a screw on attachment to
> make
> for easier cleaning.
>
> Are you referring to the glued-on protector or the snap-on protector in
> the
> second paragraph?
>
> Les
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
> Sent: 11 November 2011 13:35
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
>
> Les,
>
> I have a set of the original OZ VW part. I also got a few aftermarket
> sets
> from Bus Depot some years back.
>
> Per Ron Salmon, owner of B.D., they are out of production. I suggested
> asking Trevor (aka the Skylight Guy) who also bought the tooling for
> Delta
> Six (maker of Westfalia utility ports) if he can return these to
> production.
> No final yet but should happen. Trevor's specialty is plastics.
>
> BenT
> sent from my electronic leash

Phill,

The VA prefix and six digit number tends to suggest that this is/was a number specific to Volkswagen Australia ?   True?

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au
Sent: 11 November 2011 14:54
Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors

The original headlight protectors sold as a Volkswagen accessory were the stick on type. (VA 088 500)
__

Les,

The brain doesn't always connect w/ the fingertips. It should have said, "...LHD e-code headlights...". Used examples sell, literally ten times US DOT headlights.

BenT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 7:34 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

If it’s not a totally silly question, why are you ‘investing’ in LH drive headlights?

Sent: 11 November 2011 14:31

Hi Les,

,___

That is correct.

>
> Phill,
>
> The VA prefix and six digit number tends to suggest that this is/was a
> number specific to Volkswagen Australia? True?
>
> Les
>
>
>
> _____
>
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
> plander@optusnet.com.au
> Sent: 11 November 2011 14:54
> Subject: Re: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
>
> The original headlight protectors sold as a Volkswagen accessory were
> the
> stick on type. (VA 088 500)
> __
Les,

US headlights are different from the rest of world. I think that the globes are different also.

Phill

> BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Les,
>
> The brain doesn't always connect w/ the fingertips. It should have said,
> "...LHD e-code headlights...". Used examples sell, literally ten times
> US DOT headlights.
>
>
> BenT
>
>
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 7:34 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > If it��������s not a totally silly question, why are you �������investing�������� in
> LH drive headlights?
> >
> > From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
> > Sent: 11 November 2011 14:31
> > To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
> >
> >
> > Hi Les,
> >
> > I have a substantial amount invested in LHD headlights. This is the
> reason why I have headlight covers. I would love to accommodate you but
> the OZ covers are naturalized US citizens (notice all the Z's).
> >
> > ,___
> >
> >
> >

OK, next question.   What are the clip-on protectors that Ben is referring to which he believes are of Australian origin?   Would these be the Aunger version?

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of plander@optusnet.com.au
Sent: 11 November 2011 15:09
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors

That is correct.

> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:
> Phill,
> The VA prefix and six digit number tends to suggest that this is/was a
> number specific to Volkswagen
w:st="on">Australia ? True?
> Les

Probably.

>
> OK, next question. What are the clip-on protectors that Ben is
> referring
> to which he believes are of Australian origin? Would these be the
> Aunger
> version?
>
>
>
> _____
>
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
> plander@optusnet.com.au
> Sent: 11 November 2011 15:09
> Subject: Re: RE: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
>
>
>
> That is correct.
>
> > Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au
> <mailto:leslieharris%40optusnet.com.au> > wrote:
> > Phill,
> > The VA prefix and six digit number tends to suggest that this is/was a
> > number specific to Volkswagen Australia? True?
> > Les
I'm 200+ miles away from home now. I'll see if I can dig them up next week.

BenT

sent from my electronic leash

On Nov 10, 2011, at 8:59 PM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:

> Probably.
>
>
>
>> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> OK, next question. What are the clip-on protectors that Ben is
>> referring
>> to which he believes are of Australian origin? Would these be the
>> Aunger
>> version?
>>
>>
>>
>> _____
>>
>> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
>> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
>> plander@optusnet.com.au
>> Sent: 11 November 2011 15:09
>> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: Re: RE: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
>>
>>
>>
>> That is correct.
>>
>>> Les Harris <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au
>> <mailto:leslieharris%40optusnet.com.au> > wrote:
>>> Phill,
>>> The VA prefix and six digit number tends to suggest that this is/was a
>>> number specific to Volkswagen Australia? True?
>>> Les
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
US headlights are a perfect backdrop for a romantic evening. They are not bright enough to blind your date and lets your Syncro cast a shadow over it's light pattern when other vehicles are behind you. Sexy!

As for road illumination, you'd be better off with beeswax candles.

BenT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 8:10 PM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:

> Les,
>
> US headlights are different from the rest of world. I think that the globes are different also.
>
> Phill
>
>
>
>> BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Les,
>>
>> The brain doesn't always connect w/ the fingertips. It should have said,
>> "...LHD e-code headlights...". Used examples sell, literally ten times
>> US DOT headlights.
>>
>>
>> BenT
>>
>> sent from my electronic leash
>>
>> On Nov 10, 2011, at 7:34 PM, "Les Harris" <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> If it’s not a totally silly question, why are you ‘investing’ in
>> LH drive headlights?
>>>
>>> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
>> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT Syncro
>>> Sent: 11 November 2011 14:31
>>> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
>>> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>> I have a substantial amount invested in LHD headlights. This is the
>> reason why I have headlight covers. I would love to accommodate you but
>> the OZ covers are naturalized US citizens (notice all the Z's).
>>>
>>> ,___
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
Oh well Ben, at least you guys got westys. We just got bath tubs glued to our roofs and flat pack kitchens installed by neanderthals. Greg E

To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011 5:47 PM

US headlights are a perfect backdrop for a romantic evening. They are not bright enough to blind your date and lets your Syncro cast a shadow over it's light pattern when other vehicles are behind you. Sexy!

BenT

> Les,
>
> US headlights are different from the rest of world. I think that the globes are different also.
>
> Phill
>
>
>
>>
>> Les,
>>
>> US DOT headlights.
>>
>>
>> BenT
>>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>> LH drive headlights?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>>
>>> ,___
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Yes, I suppose. But after the beginning of the T4, VW switched to Winnebago. It's a close second, but Westies in the US has gone the way of the dodo. At least as far as VW is concerned.

We had Country Homes, ASC, Adventurewagen, and a couple of others which aren't better than what you got. With the exception of the AW top, the quality of the builds were less than stellar.

BenT

On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:45 PM, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com> wrote:

Oh well Ben, at least you guys got westys. We just got bath tubs glued to our roofs and flat pack kitchens installed by neanderthals. Greg E

To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011 5:47 PM

BenT

> Les,
>
>
> Phill
>
>
>
>>
>> Les,
>>
>> US DOT headlights.
>>
>>
>> BenT
>>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>> LH drive headlights?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Les,
>>>
>>>
>>> ,___
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

We have Winnebago here but there is no connection to the US company. It is not a good business to deal with. I don't know why Winnebago USA hasn't taken legal action against them.

> BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, I suppose. But after the beginning of the T4, VW switched to
> Winnebago. It's a close second, but Westies in the US has gone the way
> of the dodo. At least as far as VW is concerned.
>
> We had Country Homes, ASC, Adventurewagen, and a couple of others which
> aren't better than what you got. With the exception of the AW top, the
> quality of the builds were less than stellar.
>
>
> BenT
>
>
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 11:45 PM, greg esposito <gregespo73@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Oh well Ben, at least you guys got westys. We just got bath tubs glued
> to our roofs and flat pack kitchens installed by neanderthals. Greg E
> >
> > From: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>
> > To: "Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com"
> <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Friday, 11 November 2011 5:47 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
> >
> > US headlights are a perfect backdrop for a romantic evening. They are
> not bright enough to blind your date and lets your Syncro cast a shadow
> over it's light pattern when other vehicles are behind you. Sexy!
> >
> > As for road illumination, you'd be better off with beeswax candles.
> >
> > BenT
> >
> > sent from my electronic leash
> >
> > On Nov 10, 2011, at 8:10 PM, plander@optusnet.com.au wrote:
> >
> > > Les,
> > >
> > > US headlights are different from the rest of world. I think that the
> globes are different also.
> > >
> > > Phill
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >> BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> Les,
> > >>
> > >> The brain doesn't always connect w/ the fingertips. It should have
> said,
> > >> "...LHD e-code headlights...". Used examples sell, literally ten
> times
> > >> US DOT headlights.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> BenT
> > >>
> > >> sent from my electronic leash
> > >>
> > >> On Nov 10, 2011, at 7:34 PM, "Les Harris"
> <leslieharris@optusnet.com.au>
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> If it������������������s not a totally silly question, why are you
> ���������������investing������������������ in
> > >> LH drive headlights?
> > >>>
> > >>> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > >> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of BenT
> Syncro
> > >>> Sent: 11 November 2011 14:31
> > >>> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > >>> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Headlight Protectors
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> Hi Les,
> > >>>
> > >>> I have a substantial amount invested in LHD headlights. This is
> the
> > >> reason why I have headlight covers. I would love to accommodate you
> but
> > >> the OZ covers are naturalized US citizens (notice all the Z's).
> > >>>
> > >>> ,___
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > >