New Member - Introduction

Hi All,

My Name is Rowan Hardinge.

I live in Tugun QLD.

I own a 1990 Silver Syncro 2.1 Transporter DL.
Has a Rear Locker, PUCH Badge, Bullbar, 15 Inch Rims - Not sure if Merc or not..

Fitted out by original owner (with aftermarket) seating for 8, Now - Seating for 5 people currently - I pulled out middle row.
I am the 3rd owner.
Power Steering, Air Conditioning but not hooked up
Reconditioned Motor and New EFI unit fitted recently by previous owner.
Speedo has 360,000K on it so its getting up there. Motor sounds beautiful and has plenty of power.
Front drive shaft was out when purchased but want to put back in with all this Rain were having!

Cheers!

Rowan
Hi Rowan,
Welcome aboard.
The van sounds great!
Did you pester the previous owner to explain why the propshaft was removed? There is usually a reason or three why it was removed.
If you still don't know the answer, I expect after its re-installed and you take it for a drive, you'll find out soon enough.
Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 01:34:33 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Member - Introduction

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

Has a Rear Locker, PUCH Badge, Bullbar, 15 Inch Rims - Not sure if Merc or not..

Fitted out by original owner (with aftermarket) seating for 8, Now - Seating for 5 people currently - I pulled out middle row.
I am the 3rd owner.
Speedo has 360,000K on it so its getting up there. Motor sounds beautiful and has plenty of power.
Front drive shaft was out when purchased but want to put back in with all this Rain were having!

Cheers!

Rowan

Rowan,

Welcome to the club....

Any syncro is a great vehicle and you have one with lots of bells and whistles.

At least your motor has been reco'd so its really only the gearbox and front diff you will need to keep an eye on.

Hopefully you enjoy your syncro ownership - most do.

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/06/2012 11:34 AM, rowan.hardinge wrote:

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Welcome! Your Syncro sounds like mine incl of the PUCH badge ( VIB), and colour. One difference though, mine is an original Trakka with bad aircon and worse wiring.

Room for improvement , half the fun.

How far is Tugun from Valla ? would be terrific if you could join in the fun....

To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW  for the better of it.

Hoping to see you at Valla

Hartmut {also known as Hartis- Hartmate- Hart....)

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rowan.hardinge
Sent: Monday, 11 June 2012 11:35 AM

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Hart,

Is the Trakka going to be ready for Valla????

If not what will be your accommodation?

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/06/2012 8:09 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:

Hi Rowan,

Welcome! Your Syncro sounds like mine incl of the PUCH badge ( VIB), and colour. One difference though, mine is an original Trakka with bad aircon and worse wiring.

How far is Tugun from Valla ? would be terrific if you could join in the fun....

To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW  for the better of it.

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rowan.hardinge

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Hi Skot
Ron has all the parts needed in stock bar one which I have to find somewhere.hopeto have it back in two weeks. If for some reason I have to come in the Tristar, will pitch the tent on the tray.
Hart

Sent from my WalkingStick!

On 11/06/2012, at 9:43 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Hart,

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Rowan,

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Is that the tent that took us about an hour to fold away into its bag?

Those things will create a drinking problem!

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/06/2012 9:51 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:
Hi Skot
Ron has all the parts needed in stock bar one which I have to find somewhere.hopeto have it back in two weeks. If for some reason I have to come in the Tristar, will pitch the tent on the tray.
Hart

On 11/06/2012, at 9:43 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Hart,

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Rowan,

To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW for the better of it.

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Glad you remembered the folding session hope you haven't forgotten the procedure...!! Ha.

On 11/06/2012, at 10:04 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Skot
Hart

Hart,

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Rowan,

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Lucky I have all that kids Huggies tent folding experience!

They drive me nuts too!

Cheers,

Skot

On 11/06/2012 10:07 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:
Glad you remembered the folding session hope you haven't forgotten the procedure...!! Ha.

On 11/06/2012, at 10:04 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@bigpond.com> wrote:

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Skot
Hart

Hart,

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Rowan,

To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW for the better of it.

Hi All,

I live in Tugun QLD.

I am the 3rd owner.

Cheers!

Rowan

Hart,if needed I will come up a few days early and put the trans in for you,if it gets that close.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Skot
> Ron has all the parts needed in stock bar one which I have to find somewhere.hopeto have it back in two weeks. If for some reason I have to come in the Tristar, will pitch the tent on the tray.
> Hart
>
> Sent from my WalkingStick!
>
> On 11/06/2012, at 9:43 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> > Hart,
> >
> > Is the Trakka going to be ready for Valla????
> >
> > If not what will be your accommodation?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Skot
> >
> > On 11/06/2012 8:09 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Hi Rowan,
> >>
> >> Welcome! Your Syncro sounds like mine incl of the PUCH badge ( VIB), and colour. One difference though, mine is an original Trakka with bad aircon and worse wiring.
> >>
> >> Room for improvement , half the fun.
> >>
> >> How far is Tugun from Valla ? would be terrific if you could join in the fun....
> >>
> >> To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW for the better of it.
> >>
> >> Hoping to see you at Valla
> >>
> >> Hartmut {also known as Hartis- Hartmate- Hart....)
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rowan.hardinge
> >> Sent: Monday, 11 June 2012 11:35 AM
> >> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> >> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Member - Introduction
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> My Name is Rowan Hardinge.
> >>
> >> I live in Tugun QLD.
> >>
> >> I own a 1990 Silver Syncro 2.1 Transporter DL.
> >> Has a Rear Locker, PUCH Badge, Bullbar, 15 Inch Rims - Not sure if Merc or not..
> >>
> >> Fitted out by original owner (with aftermarket) seating for 8, Now - Seating for 5 people currently - I pulled out middle row.
> >> I am the 3rd owner.
> >> Power Steering, Air Conditioning but not hooked up
> >> Reconditioned Motor and New EFI unit fitted recently by previous owner.
> >> Speedo has 360,000K on it so its getting up there. Motor sounds beautiful and has plenty of power.
> >> Front drive shaft was out when purchased but want to put back in with all this Rain were having!
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Rowan
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
Hey Rowan,

Glad to see you've made it onto the forum.
I hope that new syncro is treating you well.
Before you fit the shaft check the circumference of all your wheels.
Make a mark with chalk on the tyre and the ground plumb from the axle centre and then roll forward till the mark on at least one wheel mark is plumb again.
Check the other marks to see if they are plumb too.
If they are out measure the distance covered on the road for each.
The average of the front tyres and the average of the rear tyres needs to be within 3% by my reckoning, however my current syncro has quite an aggressive VC, others may want to offer a more suitable percentage.
When you put the shaft in remember not to turn too tightly on bitumen.
Tight u turns are to be avoided.
Cheers
Paul

--
Cheers
Paul Dumais
Aerospace Engineer

So nice of you !! Thank you very muchly ! Hopefully it won’t take too long. Ron got all the spares(not many though) together and is starting to put it together. When you come up we run over to Kempsey to have look how he worx, just amazing, all this work he does and still working for a trucking co.

Hartman

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ben
Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 12:11 AM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: New Member - Introduction

Hart,if needed I will come up a few days early and put the trans in for you,if it gets that close.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Skot
> Ron has all the parts needed in stock bar one which I have to find somewhere.hopeto have it back in two weeks. If for some reason I have to come in the Tristar, will pitch the tent on the tray.
> Hart
>
> Sent from my WalkingStick!
>
> On 11/06/2012, at 9:43 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> > Hart,
> >
> > Is the Trakka going to be ready for Valla????
> >
> > If not what will be your accommodation?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Skot
> >
> > On 11/06/2012 8:09 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> Hi Rowan,
> >>
> >> Welcome! Your Syncro sounds like mine incl of the PUCH badge ( VIB), and colour. One difference though, mine is an original Trakka with bad aircon and worse wiring.
> >>
> >> Room for improvement , half the fun.
> >>
> >> How far is Tugun from Valla ? would be terrific if you could join in the fun....
> >>
> >> To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW for the better of it.
> >>
> >> Hoping to see you at Valla
> >>
> >> Hartmut {also known as Hartis- Hartmate- Hart....)
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rowan.hardinge
> >> Sent: Monday, 11 June 2012 11:35 AM
> >> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> >> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Member - Introduction
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> My Name is Rowan Hardinge.
> >>
> >> I live in Tugun QLD.
> >>
> >> I own a 1990 Silver Syncro 2.1 Transporter DL.
> >> Has a Rear Locker, PUCH Badge, Bullbar, 15 Inch Rims - Not sure if Merc or not..
> >>
> >> Fitted out by original owner (with aftermarket) seating for 8, Now - Seating for 5 people currently - I pulled out middle row.
> >> I am the 3rd owner.
> >> Power Steering, Air Conditioning but not hooked up
> >> Reconditioned Motor and New EFI unit fitted recently by previous owner.
> >> Speedo has 360,000K on it so its getting up there. Motor sounds beautiful and has plenty of power.
> >> Front drive shaft was out when purchased but want to put back in with all this Rain were having!
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >>
> >> Rowan
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>

Hartmate,well your a good ol bloke,I would help you out.I have been to Rons place but unfortunately he wasnt home when I visited.
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Hartmut Kiehn" <hartis@...> wrote:
>
> So nice of you !! Thank you very muchly ! Hopefully it won’t take too long. Ron got all the spares(not many though) together and is starting to put it together. When you come up we run over to Kempsey to have look how he worx, just amazing, all this work he does and still working for a trucking co.
>
>
>
> Hartman
>
>
>
> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ben
> Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 12:11 AM
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: New Member - Introduction
>
>
>
>
>
> Hart,if needed I will come up a few days early and put the trans in for you,if it gets that close.
> BenC
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> , Hartmut Kiehn <hartis@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Skot
> > Ron has all the parts needed in stock bar one which I have to find somewhere.hopeto have it back in two weeks. If for some reason I have to come in the Tristar, will pitch the tent on the tray.
> > Hart
> >
> > Sent from my WalkingStick!
> >
> > On 11/06/2012, at 9:43 PM, "Mr Scott Pitcher" <spbconsulting@> wrote:
> >
> > > Hart,
> > >
> > > Is the Trakka going to be ready for Valla????
> > >
> > > If not what will be your accommodation?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Skot
> > >
> > > On 11/06/2012 8:09 PM, Hartmut Kiehn wrote:
> > >
> > >>
> > >> Hi Rowan,
> > >>
> > >> Welcome! Your Syncro sounds like mine incl of the PUCH badge ( VIB), and colour. One difference though, mine is an original Trakka with bad aircon and worse wiring.
> > >>
> > >> Room for improvement , half the fun.
> > >>
> > >> How far is Tugun from Valla ? would be terrific if you could join in the fun....
> > >>
> > >> To check the rims, you need 14” VWs for reference . Feel the difference , poking your finger through one of the holes and with thumb and finger compare the thickness. The Mercs are roughly half the steel thickness compared to the VWs. I have both, 16” on the DC (Merc) and 14” VW on the Trakka. I am going to change my 16” to VW for the better of it.
> > >>
> > >> Hoping to see you at Valla
> > >>
> > >> Hartmut {also known as Hartis- Hartmate- Hart....)
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of rowan.hardinge
> > >> Sent: Monday, 11 June 2012 11:35 AM
> > >> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com>
> > >> Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] New Member - Introduction
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Hi All,
> > >>
> > >> My Name is Rowan Hardinge.
> > >>
> > >> I live in Tugun QLD.
> > >>
> > >> I own a 1990 Silver Syncro 2.1 Transporter DL.
> > >> Has a Rear Locker, PUCH Badge, Bullbar, 15 Inch Rims - Not sure if Merc or not..
> > >>
> > >> Fitted out by original owner (with aftermarket) seating for 8, Now - Seating for 5 people currently - I pulled out middle row.
> > >> I am the 3rd owner.
> > >> Power Steering, Air Conditioning but not hooked up
> > >> Reconditioned Motor and New EFI unit fitted recently by previous owner.
> > >> Speedo has 360,000K on it so its getting up there. Motor sounds beautiful and has plenty of power.
> > >> Front drive shaft was out when purchased but want to put back in with all this Rain were having!
> > >>
> > >> Cheers!
> > >>
> > >> Rowan
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > >
> >
>
Hi all,

For those thinking of a Tassie trip, I was reminded that the maximum height they allow on the boat from Vic to Tas is 2.1m.

Mine used to get under this but now (after the pop-top installation) I look for 2.3m clearance.

Those with roof racks laden with equipment and fuel tanks may also have a problem.

Worth getting the measuring tape out!

Cheers,

Skot
Are you sure Scott? I think there is just a limited amount of spots for high vehicles. Usually if you make your booking online a red message will tell you if the high parking spots are sold out. The big frieght trucks tend to book them out early. Greg E

Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 9:41 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Tassie Trip People - Boat Height Clearance 2.1m

Hi all,

For those thinking of a Tassie trip, I was reminded that the maximum height they allow on the boat from Vic to Tas is 2.1m.

Mine used to get under this but now (after the pop-top installation) I look for 2.3m clearance.

Those with roof racks laden with equipment and fuel tanks may also have a problem.

Cheers,

Skot

Greg,

I'm not really sure, but the Kombi club folk are looking into a Bust Stop trip to tassie in Easter 2014 and they were all saying that the 2.1 height restriction applies. There is a higher clearance area but apparently that is still 2.1m max!

Hope Im wrong as that seems very low.

Skot

On 12/06/2012 10:06 PM, greg esposito wrote:
Are you sure Scott? I think there is just a limited amount of spots for high vehicles. Usually if you make your booking online a red message will tell you if the high parking spots are sold out. The big frieght trucks tend to book them out early. Greg E

Hi all,

Cheers,

Skot

Hi Skot,
I think the 2.1m is just a price barrier. On the ferry itself, we
were all mixed together with small & larger vehicles.
Cheers,
Theo
Someones got their wires crossed. I have seen kenworths drive on! Mine was just under 2.1 last time I went and they still parked me in the high area. I could have stood on the roof! Its just a case of booking when the correct space is avail. Greg E

Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 10:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Tassie Trip People - Boat Height Clearance 2.1m

Greg,

I'm not really sure, but the Kombi club folk are looking into a Bust Stop trip to tassie in Easter 2014 and they were all saying that the 2.1 height restriction applies. There is a higher clearance area but apparently that is still 2.1m max!

Hope Im wrong as that seems very low.

Skot

On 12/06/2012 10:06 PM, greg esposito wrote:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Skot

I just did a sample booking for a van over 2.1m. It was still $90. There is a mezzanine on hydraulics that will squash a car taller than 2.1.

Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 10:14 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Tassie Trip People - Boat Height Clearance 2.1m

Hi Skot,
Cheers,
Theo

There you go then - my concern is unfounded.

The 2wd kombi boys have nothing to worry about if syncros fit in.

Good to know for when I actually get a chance to do these trips...but by then petrol and diesel will be $150/L.

Skot

On 12/06/2012 10:26 PM, greg esposito wrote:
I just did a sample booking for a van over 2.1m. It was still $90. There is a mezzanine on hydraulics that will squash a car taller than 2.1.

Sent: Tuesday, 12 June 2012 10:14 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Tassie Trip People - Boat Height Clearance 2.1m

Hi Skot,
Cheers,
Theo