prestige A/C update

Have just arrived in Melbourne after driving accross the nullabour and down the Eyre Peninsula. It was bloody hot and big days.

We made a curtain behind the front seats and rigged up a blanket over head in the cab to make the space as small as possible.

The system coped well struggled a bit when the sun came on to any of the windows. We had a spray water bottle for those occassions and brought the curtains forward on to the side windows leaving enough vision to see the side rear view mirrors.

Overall it went well and you could certainly tell when you turned it off. greg
Greg,

Just wondering what sort of activity your temp gauge and thermo fan got up to during your little adventure.

I'm just trying do a little comparison with mine..

I traveled from St. Leonard's to Ballarat on a very hot day (42deg) and my temp gauge sat just over half way (normal) but got up a little over half when stopping at lights in Geelong. I wasn't running my A/C..

Glad you had a safe trip..

Tony

To: <Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] prestige A/C update
Sent: Mon, Jan 7, 2013 11:29:24 AM

Have just arrived in Melbourne after driving accross the nullabour and down the Eyre Peninsula. It was bloody hot and big days.

We made a curtain behind the front seats and rigged up a blanket over head in the cab to make the space as small as possible.

The system coped well struggled a bit when the sun came on to any of the windows. We had a spray water bottle for those occassions and brought the curtains forward on to the side windows leaving enough vision to see the side rear view mirrors.

Hi Tony

The Radiator fan ran 95% of the time I was driving with the A/C on. The temp guage remained pretty constant on normal as you have described I dont remember seeing the guage above that position.

On the hottest day I left the vehicle parked in the shade at lunch time with the radiator fan running when I returned an hour later it was still running now a lot slower but had drained the battery and I was unable to start the engine on that battery.

Has anyone had that happen and is there anyway to avoid it? Greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Tony Marshall wrote:
>
> Greg,
>
> Just wondering what sort of activity your temp gauge and thermo fan got up to during your little adventure.
>
> I'm just trying do a little comparison with mine..
>
> I traveled from St. Leonard's to Ballarat on a very hot day (42deg) and my temp gauge sat just over half way (normal) but got up a little over half when stopping at lights in Geelong. I wasn't running my A/C..
>
> Glad you had a safe trip..
>
> Tony
>
Hi Greg,
Pretty novel the extended running time of the radiator fan. Radiator thermo switch acting up?
To stop a repeat, could you in future just disconnect the battery negative lead for a short while?
Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:30:12 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] radiator fan

Hi Tony

The Radiator fan ran 95% of the time I was driving with the A/C on. The temp guage remained pretty constant on normal as you have described I dont remember seeing the guage above that position.

On the hottest day I left the vehicle parked in the shade at lunch time with the radiator fan running when I returned an hour later it was still running now a lot slower but had drained the battery and I was unable to start the engine on that battery.

>
> Greg,
>
> Just wondering what sort of activity your temp gauge and thermo fan got up to during your little adventure.
>
>
> I traveled from St. Leonard's to Ballarat on a very hot day (42deg) and my temp gauge sat just over half way (normal) but got up a little over half when stopping at lights in Geelong. I wasn't running my A/C..
>
>
> Tony
>

Sounds like the A/con is wired up wrong and holding the fan on. Was the a/c switch on?

To: _T3_Australia forum Syncro <syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 8 January 2013 10:13 AM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] radiator fan

Hi Greg,
Pretty novel the extended running time of the radiator fan. Radiator thermo switch acting up?
To stop a repeat, could you in future just disconnect the battery negative lead for a short while?
Cheers.
Ken

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com From: greg_navarro95@yahoo.com Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:30:12 +0000 Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] radiator fan  
Hi Tony The Radiator fan ran 95% of the time I was driving with the A/C on. The temp guage remained pretty constant on normal as you have described I dont remember seeing the guage above that position. On the hottest day I left the vehicle parked in the shade at lunch time with the radiator fan running when I returned an hour later it was still running now a lot slower but had drained the battery and I was unable to start the engine on that battery. Has anyone had that happen and is there anyway to avoid it? Greg
--- In mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia%40yahoogroups.com, Tony Marshall wrote: > > Greg, > > Just wondering what sort of activity your temp gauge and thermo fan got up to during your little adventure. > > I'm just trying do a little comparison with mine.. > > I traveled from St. Leonard's to Ballarat on a very hot day (42deg) and my temp gauge sat just over half way (normal) but got up a little over half when stopping at lights in Geelong. I wasn't running my A/C.. > > Glad you had a safe trip.. > > Tony >
Hi Greg,
Very good news on the AC front then and tested under extreme conditions.
I was keen to hear if its remained cool, suggesting the system is now not leaking refrigerant and the "trial" new TX valve is doing its very important job.
All good. Cheers.
Ken 

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 11:29:24 +0000

sounds like a 'stuck something' ..
relay, temp sensor on rad, etc.

On 1/7/2013 3:13 PM, Ken Garratt wrote:

Hi Greg,
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:30:12 +0000
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] radiator fan

Hi Tony

>
> Greg,
>
>
>
>
>
> Tony
>

Greg N,

That should not happen.  Once the coolant temperature drops below the minimum set by the coolant temp sensor, the fan should stop.

A quick check is to do a fuse-pulling exercise to see where the power to the fan is coming from. 

Greg E’s analysis is probably right so the first test is to make sure that the AC switch is off when you stop, then see if the fan keeps running.  You can monitor the coolant temp by switching the ignition on.  The fan should have stopped when the needle gets several widths to the left of the warning light.

If is still runs on, then go to the fuse-pulling and track it down from there.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg esposito
Sent: 08 January 2013 10:21
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] radiator fan

Sounds like the A/con is wired up wrong and holding the fan on. Was the a/c switch on?

___

Greg N,

Omitted to mention that this testing is with the vehicle stationary and after a hot run.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Les Harris
Sent: 08 January 2013 10:44

Greg N,

That should not happen.  Once the coolant temperature drops below the minimum set by the coolant temp sensor, the fan should stop.

Greg,
I know on my A/C there is a bypass on the temp senser, so if the A/C is on so is the fan. If your A/C was off check the relay bypass (if it has a relay), in the heat it may have fused on.  I have had this happen a few time with different relays.

Good luck sorting it out.

Cheers,

Michael Roberts
...or just turn on the ignition and see if the fan runs when you turn on the A/C (it should). Then turn the ign off and see if the fan stops (it should). 

Sent: Tuesday, 8 January 2013 10:43 AM

Greg N,
A quick check is to do a fuse-pulling exercise to see where the power to the fan is coming from. 
Greg E’s analysis is probably right so the first test is to make sure that the AC switch is off when you stop, then see if the fan keeps running.  You can monitor the coolant temp by switching the ignition on.  The fan should have stopped when the needle gets several widths to the left of the warning light.
Les
From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of greg esposito

___

Good thinking.

Sent: 08 January 2013 19:20

...or just turn on the ignition and see if the fan runs when you turn on the A/C (it should). Then turn the ign off and see if the fan stops (it should). 

Sent: Tuesday, 8 January 2013 10:43 AM

Greg N,

Les

___

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my post above.

I have just regained internet cover today and have completed about 1000ks in Tassie so far. Having a great time down here.

Have'nt had any need for the A/C down here but will test the fan over the next couple of days.

Greg N

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, greg esposito wrote:
>
> ...or just turn on the ignition and see if the fan runs when you turn on the A/C (it should). Then turn the ign off and see if the fan stops (it should).Â
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Les Harris
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tuesday, 8 January 2013 10:43 AM
> Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] radiator fan
>
>
> Â
>
> Greg N,
> That should not happen. Once the
> coolant temperature drops below the minimum set by the coolant temp sensor, the
> fan should stop.
> A quick check is to do a fuse-pulling exercise
> to see where the power to the fan is coming from.Â
> Greg E’s analysis is probably
> right so the first test is to make sure that the AC switch is off when you
> stop, then see if the fan keeps running. Â You can monitor the coolant temp
> by switching the ignition on. The fan should have stopped when the needle
> gets several widths to the left of the warning light.
> If is still runs on, then go to the
> fuse-pulling and track it down from there.
> Les
>
> ________________________________
>
> From:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On
> Behalf Of greg esposito
> Sent: 08 January 2013 10:21
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia]
> radiator fan
> Â
> Sounds like the A/con is wired up wrong and holding the fan on. Was the
> a/c switch on?
> Â
> ___
>
A $20 oscilating fan from SCA works the best. mount it behind your head. Prestige should change thier name to  Sauna.
I gave up on mine years ago.

Just got back from Red Rock 10 days ago just 7km from the Pacific Highway and a new shower block with push button hot water.Wow.!

Lucky to get out before the flood. I think the Pacific Highway opened yesterday.

Philip near Byron

Sent: Monday, 7 January 2013 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] prestige A/C update

Greg, Just wondering what sort of activity your temp gauge and thermo fan got up to during your little adventure. I'm just trying do a little comparison with mine.. I traveled from St. Leonard's to Ballarat on a very hot day (42deg) and my temp gauge sat just over half way (normal) but got up a little over half when stopping at lights in Geelong. I wasn't running my A/C.. Glad you had a safe trip.. Tony

Post some photos Phil.

Thanks,

Skot

On 4/02/2013 1:22 PM, Philip Macrae wrote:
A $20 oscilating fan from SCA works the best. mount it behind your head. Prestige should change thier name to Sauna.
I gave up on mine years ago.
Just got back from Red Rock 10 days ago just 7km from the Pacific Highway and a new shower block with push button hot water.Wow.!
Lucky to get out before the flood. I think the Pacific Highway opened yesterday.
Philip near Byron

Sent: Monday, 7 January 2013 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] prestige A/C update
Greg, Just wondering what sort of activity your temp gauge and thermo fan got up to during your little adventure. I'm just trying do a little comparison with mine.. I traveled from St. Leonard's to Ballarat on a very hot day (42deg) and my temp gauge sat just over half way (normal) but got up a little over half when stopping at lights in Geelong. I wasn't running my A/C.. Glad you had a safe trip.. Tony

Hi Greg,

i notice that you and others have an interest in A/C. I also had a prestige A/C unit in my Syncro when I purchased it and spent money getting it looked at and re-gassed but this proved to be a fruitless exercise. i live on the Gold Coast and it can get very humid so working A/C is important for me. I have had my Syncro for 2 years and intend to have it for many more to come so I thought it was worth investing in. I know that many think A/C is not necessary but I am definitely not one.

I took the expensive step of getting a whole new system installed, every component including the pipework. My local VW guy did it ( Jack ay Gold Coast Vee Dub). He learnt some things in the process and would be better equipped for the next install.

Although it is early days so far it works really well. it is mounted on the ceiling in the cabin with the pipe work going in and out of the pillar. It's not the most attractive piece of kit but it works.

I have posted some photos in the "Photos" section of the forum.

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers

PK

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg_navarro95@...> wrote:
>
>
> Have just arrived in Melbourne after driving accross the nullabour and down the Eyre Peninsula. It was bloody hot and big days.
>
> We made a curtain behind the front seats and rigged up a blanket over head in the cab to make the space as small as possible.
>
> The system coped well struggled a bit when the sun came on to any of the windows. We had a spray water bottle for those occassions and brought the curtains forward on to the side windows leaving enough vision to see the side rear view mirrors.
>
> Overall it went well and you could certainly tell when you turned it off. greg
>
Hi Peter. That is a serious modification and it looks like its the going to be the business, well done. Unfortunately my Trakka pop top goes further forward almost to the front window so there is no place to mount the evaporator on the roof if I went for this mod. I think I have to live with an ok system as it is and work around the weather when its really hot one trip a year. Thanks for your earlier info re rims etc. Greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "peter_kolevas" <peter.kolevas@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> i notice that you and others have an interest in A/C. I also had a prestige A/C unit in my Syncro when I purchased it and spent money getting it looked at and re-gassed but this proved to be a fruitless exercise. i live on the Gold Coast and it can get very humid so working A/C is important for me. I have had my Syncro for 2 years and intend to have it for many more to come so I thought it was worth investing in. I know that many think A/C is not necessary but I am definitely not one.
>
> I took the expensive step of getting a whole new system installed, every component including the pipework. My local VW guy did it ( Jack ay Gold Coast Vee Dub). He learnt some things in the process and would be better equipped for the next install.
>
> Although it is early days so far it works really well. it is mounted on the ceiling in the cabin with the pipe work going in and out of the pillar. It's not the most attractive piece of kit but it works.
>
> I have posted some photos in the "Photos" section of the forum.
>
> Happy to answer any questions.
>
> Cheers
>
> PK
>
> --- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg_navarro95@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Have just arrived in Melbourne after driving accross the nullabour and down the Eyre Peninsula. It was bloody hot and big days.
> >
> > We made a curtain behind the front seats and rigged up a blanket over head in the cab to make the space as small as possible.
> >
> > The system coped well struggled a bit when the sun came on to any of the windows. We had a spray water bottle for those occassions and brought the curtains forward on to the side windows leaving enough vision to see the side rear view mirrors.
> >
> > Overall it went well and you could certainly tell when you turned it off. greg
> >
>

Hi all, not sure if anyone has experience with the radiator fan. Been looking into options, not sure if anyone else has played with this. This is the original (just example image) Van Cafe: Vanagon Parts - Fan Assembly - SEE DESCRIPTION | Fan Assembly

I know the Audi 80 fan is a direct bolt in upgrade, 5 blades bigger motor (needs a plug change)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-80-90-B4-Kuehlerluefter-Lueftermotor-mit-Luefterring-Zarge-NG-/151505666190?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item234671008e&nma=true&si=4XnwlECH4Lmp2ksjfUURSk%252FUtkM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

In looking around for options, found a few others. This is an audi fan for hot climates:

06997 Febi Bilstein Radiator Fans Audi 80 Avant

Also came across this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Luefter-fuer-Kuehler-Wasserkuehler-VW-T3-Bus-Kasten-Pritsche-Transporter-NEU-/271669447575?pt=DE_Autoteile&fits=Make%3AVW&hash=item3f40c2cb97&nma=true&si=4XnwlECH4Lmp2ksjfUURSk%252FUtkM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Not sure if anyone has any experience with this fan? Not sure of the different blades help, or if the bigger motor will create current draw issues. Am tempted to get one and give it a go. I also seem to fin conflicting sizes (diameter), so not sure it will fit in.

Thanks for any help/comments

Hi Peter.

I'm in the same position. Trying to upgrade prestige A/C and make my syncro ready for QLD humidity. I'm in Sunshine Coast.

Would you be able to share more info on your setup? 

Thanks in advance
Beau
I have a Prestige ac also however no compressor or mounts?  pipes run to the engine and everything else appears to be there but no compressor. So if someone has a good one lying around  i could be interested in removing it from you.. 😊