Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Genuine VW Syncro transmission selector shaft o...

No worries Sam.

If we get enough takers I might be able to organise a discount, although their pretty cheap to start with. The main saving would be in the postage.
                                                                                                       Roger.

Roger,
Thanks so much for yet another fine maintenance description/warning.
I think you've just inadvertently added another part procurement and R&R procedure to Grahams TODO list! Like he needs yet another job before his venture out west? HA!

I've recently overhauled all those external rear gear linkage/boot components, but I was totally oblivious to this most important tranny seal. Damn!
I do buy parts from the US from time to time but if you want to compile a group purchase, count me in for one please. Not urgent ... yet!

Other components people probably overlook but should be checked/cleaned/de-gunked or replaced is the breather tower, its O-Ring seal and the 190mm long breather hose. There's a topic on TheSamba about this ... the tower diaphragm at the top inside can crumble away over time and so no longer function as it should, another cause of rough idling. The base O-Ring may fail and leak engine sludge/fumes. If the engine is sludging too much, evidence will also be found inside the rubber air intake and/or AFM air tunnel/flap.
If the breather hose fails and totally constricts without your knowledge, can lead to failure of engine case seals.

025 115 451    Breather Tower    Bus Depot    US $88.10

N90 106 101    O-Ring - breather tower to block    Bus Depot    US $3.22

Breather hose  - 190mmL x 18.5 ID  x 3.5mm    Van Cafe    US $8.75    http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1223689737929/page_721_133/breather_hose.html

For cleaning/checking the tower, invert and eyeball the base end, the internal component simply slides out. Hard to believe at first glance. For reassembly, it will refit correctly only in one orientation. Look up the inside of the tower, you should see the diaphragm with a torch or in strong sunlight, or else its disintegrated remains.

While cleaning, don't jag a pointy tool inside to the top while cleaning ... the diaphragm will puncture easily.

The diaphragm relies on atmospheric air to its internal top side to function correctly. As you look into the engine bay with the breather tower in place, at nine o'clock on the UNDER edge of the top is a minute square breather hole for the diaphragm air function. Easily found if you remove the tower, invert it and use a magnifier. It may be hiding/blocked with crud. The square outside hole tapers to an internal slit, so to the ham-fisted, use compressed air or a fine needle/brush or engine cleaner spray pack to clear, along with all the other orifices/surfaces you can find in the tower assembly, then thoroughly/carefully rinse off and even finally, wash/rinse parts in hot water and detergent.

After a thorough clean, check the diaphragm function. Use a spray pack extension tube, press it against/into the external square hole and then blow and suck on the tube. You should hear the diaphragm shift up and down accordingly. If it doesn't, it may be holed. Fit a new tower and O-Ring.

Cheers.

Ken 

To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:37:51 -0400
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Genuine VW Syncro transmission selector shaft o...

No worries Sam.

If we get enough takers I might be able to organise a discount, although their pretty cheap to start with. The main saving would be in the postage.
                                                                                                       Roger.

Thanks for the heads-up Ken,

I never knew that the breather tower had a diaphragm inside it that could fail. Will have to have a look at the spare one in the shed.

I guess while the engine is idling sweetly, all is well.

I replaced the breather hose a few years ago because mine looked pretty sad. I remember looking around the shed for something suitable, couldn't find anything, so I think I bought one from Muller and Muller.

When it arrived it looked like it had been cut off a roll of bulk hose, just like the ones from VanCafe.

Pirtek might be able to supply something similar.

I have added your name to the list for a selector-shaft oil seal. No-one appears to be in a hurry so I might wait a couple of weeks before ordering, and have a browse through the wish-list in the meantime.

Cheers, Roger.

Goodo Roger, thank you.
What do you think of this for a breather hose, cut up into five pieces for five syncro owners?
Be pretty permanent you reckon?
Cheers.
Ken

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 07:09:36 -0400
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Genuine VW Syncro transmission selector shaft o...

I never knew that the breather tower had a diaphragm inside it that could fail. Will have to have a look at the spare one in the shed.

I replaced the breather hose a few years ago because mine looked pretty sad. I remember looking around the shed for something suitable, couldn't find anything, so I think I bought one from Muller and Muller.

When it arrived it looked like it had been cut off a roll of bulk hose, just like the ones from VanCafe.

I have added your name to the list for a selector-shaft oil seal. No-one appears to be in a hurry so I might wait a couple of weeks before ordering, and have a browse through the wish-list in the meantime.

Cheers, Roger.

Hi Ken,
Thx for advice , had a look at my breather tower and it has perished - will be replacing it

Cheers
Philippe

On 25 April 2012 14:54, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Roger,
Thanks so much for yet another fine maintenance description/warning.
I think you've just inadvertently added another part procurement and R&R procedure to Grahams TODO list! Like he needs yet another job before his venture out west? HA!

I've recently overhauled all those external rear gear linkage/boot components, but I was totally oblivious to this most important tranny seal. Damn!
I do buy parts from the US from time to time but if you want to compile a group purchase, count me in for one please. Not urgent ... yet!

Other components people probably overlook but should be checked/cleaned/de-gunked or replaced is the breather tower, its O-Ring seal and the 190mm long breather hose. There's a topic on TheSamba about this ... the tower diaphragm at the top inside can crumble away over time and so no longer function as it should, another cause of rough idling. The base O-Ring may fail and leak engine sludge/fumes. If the engine is sludging too much, evidence will also be found inside the rubber air intake and/or AFM air tunnel/flap.
If the breather hose fails and totally constricts without your knowledge, can lead to failure of engine case seals.

025 115 451 Breather Tower Bus Depot US $88.10

N90 106 101 O-Ring - breather tower to block Bus Depot US $3.22

Breather hose - 190mmL x 18.5 ID x 3.5mm Van Cafe US $8.75 http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1223689737929/page_721_133/breather_hose.html

For cleaning/checking the tower, invert and eyeball the base end, the internal component simply slides out. Hard to believe at first glance. For reassembly, it will refit correctly only in one orientation. Look up the inside of the tower, you should see the diaphragm with a torch or in strong sunlight, or else its disintegrated remains.

While cleaning, don't jag a pointy tool inside to the top while cleaning ... the diaphragm will puncture easily.

The diaphragm relies on atmospheric air to its internal top side to function correctly. As you look into the engine bay with the breather tower in place, at nine o'clock on the UNDER edge of the top is a minute square breather hole for the diaphragm air function. Easily found if you remove the tower, invert it and use a magnifier. It may be hiding/blocked with crud. The square outside hole tapers to an internal slit, so to the ham-fisted, use compressed air or a fine needle/brush or engine cleaner spray pack to clear, along with all the other orifices/surfaces you can find in the tower assembly, then thoroughly/carefully rinse off and even finally, wash/rinse parts in hot water and detergent.

After a thorough clean, check the diaphragm function. Use a spray pack extension tube, press it against/into the external square hole and then blow and suck on the tube. You should hear the diaphragm shift up and down accordingly. If it doesn't, it may be holed. Fit a new tower and O-Ring.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:37:51 -0400

No worries Sam.

Roger.

--
Philippe Tyack
Mobile:+61450059162
Hi Roger,
Would be grateful if you could book 2 seals for me. 
Many thanks.  Hartmut

Sent from my iPad

On 25/04/2012, at 11:09 PM, Gullyraker@aol.com wrote:

Cheers, Roger.

Hullo Roger

Can you order a couple of selector shaft seals for me.

Regards
JonE

Sent: Wednesday, 25 April 2012 7:09 PM

Cheers, Roger.

I haven't looked at mine as they are covered in mud.

But I should probably get some too.

Please put me on the list Roger.

Thanks,

Skot

On 26/04/2012 5:09 PM, Jon Elliott wrote:
Hullo Roger
Can you order a couple of selector shaft seals for me.
Regards
JonE

Sent: Wednesday, 25 April 2012 7:09 PM

Cheers, Roger.

selector seals.Arnt they they same as on a Golf?
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Mr Scott Pitcher <spbconsulting@...> wrote:
>
> I haven't looked at mine as they are covered in mud.
>
> But I should probably get some too.
>
> Please put me on the list Roger.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Skot
>
> On 26/04/2012 5:09 PM, Jon Elliott wrote:
> > Hullo Roger
> > Can you order a couple of selector shaft seals for me.
> > Regards
> > JonE
> >
> > *From:* "Gullyraker@..." <Gullyraker@...>
> > *To:* Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> > *Sent:* Wednesday, 25 April 2012 7:09 PM
> > *Subject:* Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Genuine VW Syncro
> > transmission selector shaft o...
> >
> > Thanks for the heads-up Ken,
> >
> > I never knew that the breather tower had a diaphragm inside it that
> > could fail. Will have to have a look at the spare one in the shed.
> >
> > I guess while the engine is idling sweetly, all is well.
> >
> > I replaced the breather hose a few years ago because mine looked
> > pretty sad. I remember looking around the shed for something suitable,
> > couldn't find anything, so I think I bought one from Muller and Muller.
> >
> > When it arrived it looked like it had been cut off a roll of bulk
> > hose, just like the ones from VanCafe.
> >
> > Pirtek might be able to supply something similar.
> >
> > I have added your name to the list for a selector-shaft oil seal.
> > No-one appears to be in a hurry so I might wait a couple of weeks
> > before ordering, and have a browse through the wish-list in the meantime.
> >
> > Cheers, Roger.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
Looks like it would do the job, Ken, although it should be possible to find something closer to home.

I haven't measured it lately - is 19mm the size we need?

I do remember having to dip the end of the new hose in the coffee-mug before it softened up enough to slip on.

Cheers, Roger.

No worries Hart.
                         Roger

No worries Jon.
                         Roger.

No wurries Skot. Do you take one or two?
                                                             Roger.

I'm trying to cut down on taking these so put me down for just one.

They are very addictive!

Cheers,

Skot

On 26/04/2012 9:14 PM, Gullyraker@aol.com wrote:

No wurries Skot. Do you take one or two?
                                                             Roger.

Maybe, but only if they are designed for crossing rivers too.

More likely they are the same as the 2WD seal that has been [confusingly] sold under the same part number since the 4WD seal became unavailable.

I haven't seen the Golf seal or eyeballed the part number. Does anybody out there know?
                                                                         Roger [Beetle].

Done.
         Roger.

Hello,

Has anyone installed a swivel seat into their Syncro? Are they easy to install?, Do I need to drill? are they worth it in a camper?

Leighton

Leighton,

You can buy the base from Just Kampers Australia.

I installed a passenger VW factory second hand kit in mine and it was very easy.

Drill 4 holes and put the 4 supplied bolts through.

Cheers,

Skot

On 26/04/2012 9:53 PM, Leighton Smith wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone installed a swivel seat into their Syncro? Are they easy to install?, Do I need to drill? are they worth it in a camper?

Leighton

Skot,

Thanks and do you have to remove the lid of the storage area under the seat. Does it make the seat much higher? I have been looking at the just Kamper one and wanted to set if they are worth it? I only have Transporter seats and looking to get some good captains chair seats if possible? Does anyone have any sapre captains chairs?

Leighton

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:57:59 +1000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Swivel seats

Leighton,

I installed a passenger VW factory second hand kit in mine and it was very easy.

Cheers,

Skot

Hello,

Leighton

Leighton,

You dont really have to remove the battery enclosure lid - but if you dont you will never get it open again.

I have an old passenger car rear footwell mat over my spare battery now to cover my sins. The seat sits about 20mm higher. Not enough to get worried about.

The captains chairs are great. I fully recommend them - its like sitting in a lounge chair - very comfy.

Skot

On 26/04/2012 10:05 PM, Leighton Smith wrote:

Skot,

Thanks and do you have to remove the lid of the storage area under the seat. Does it make the seat much higher? I have been looking at the just Kamper one and wanted to set if they are worth it? I only have Transporter seats and looking to get some good captains chair seats if possible? Does anyone have any sapre captains chairs?

Leighton

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:57:59 +1000
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: Swivel seats

Leighton,

Cheers,

Skot

Hello,

Leighton