Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down Under,Razorback, T3twincab

Dear Everyone,
Lots of things to reply to here, some of which  complement each other.

Les first -sorry have looked through all my T4 and miscellaneous stuff and don't seem to have kept the razorback brochure (1 page from memory). Will contact you if I ever come across it.

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce
My brother rang me from Gove and I was able to ascertain and ring the local (Victorian distributor Hunt Heating 1300 001 800 (Still no reply from UK manufacturer) They(Mick in sales) told me they can supply from stock  Multilayer composite (MLC) pipe in 5 metre lengths of 32mm or 40mm o/d.($66 and $122 respectively plus gst.) He could not immediately verify it but he thought the wall thickness was about 3mm. They have an aluminium core  which allows them to bend to the curve needed but this is best done with a spring insert as when bending copper pipe.. My brother said the advantage of this MLC pipe  is that if you kink it on bending you can take it back to the original shape with a heat gun.

Ralph supplied the following on the go Westy brass insert kit which  confirms a one and half inch size which would need the 40mm pipe. The kit would probably be the best way of joining to the rubber connecting pipes but it would add to the cost (USD49 + freight.

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Works with: 1986 - 1991
Weight: 3.00 lbs
Our Price: $49.95
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

My brother said he would be happy to facilitate things for you Bruce including providing a sample once he gets home early Sept. but I  would imagine you want to get back on the road before that. I take it the Go Westy kit wouldn't solve the problem by itself?

Repowering
Gary, Bruce of coolant pipe fame installed an inline  VW (1.8??) in his Petrol Syncro and could probably add something for your consideration. What about the twin cab power and transmission  below supplied by Andy?
I've been driving around lately thinking the 2.1 wasserboxer engine in my car with my 70 profile x 16" tyres really isn't too bad in the way it performs around town and on the highway.  Perhaps its the denser air of winter in Melbourne or perhaps they finally got them right by the end of '92. If you would like to borrow it for a couple of days to think about whether the relatively more simple alternative of a sound 2.1 petrol engine might fit the bill then you would be welcome as long as it doesn't come back with a clapped out diesel engine in it!.
On why the price of  diesel doesn't fluctuate like petrol I was told that the major users like Linfox and Toll put their not inconsiderable requirements  out to tender whereas the likes of you and me have insufficient buying power even in aggregate to warrant the competition reflected in petrol prices. As remarked before govt. excise also makes a difference according to useage eg on farm.

Here ended the 1st lesson. I'm going away to write out 500 times I must be more succinct.

Cheers

Roger

--- On Fri, 23/7/10, Andy Sinclair <andy@summertimerolls.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Coolant Pipes, Down Under, T3twincab
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Received: Friday, 23 July, 2010, 5:41 AM

Hi Roger and all,
The T3 twin cab belongs to a friend of mine. It has a Subaru SVX 3.3 litre engine running on LPG with an auto transmission. Its not  a Syncro but he wishes it was. I have driven this car a few times and its awesome, so much power. He has also upgraded the rear brakes with the rear disc brake kit from Queensland. Nice car!
Cheers, Andy. 

Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Coolant Pipes, Down Under, T3twincab

Dear Bruce,

Sorry haven't been back on the coolant pipe substitutes. My Hydonic Heating brother is out of contact off in the "Nothing" part of the country on Ben's map in his Hilux and I have lost the name of the local distributor. I sent a request for this to the UK manufacturer and asked them for advice on our problem with the prospect of regular sales but to date have had a stoney silence. If you wanted additions to Ben's map obviously you would need to include Collingwood supporters and those offering free home roofing installation. They were filming "Underbelly" further down my street last week so I suppose you should also include my suburb and I should double chain my syncro to the nearest lampost.
Does anyone have the name of the Australian distributor from an earlier posting of mine and/or the internal and external diameter of the coolant pipes. I'm not keen to disturb mine to measure them internally.

Les I'm still raking through my hoard to see if I retained a brochure of the razorback. Will post it to the group and snail mail it to you if I locate it.

On another tack pulled up alongside a nicely preserved white T3 twincab ute at traffic lights the other day noting a small enamel plate on the rear and side door with "twin cam boxer" on it . I was in my Camry and the driver looked across at me with that self satisfied "if you owned one you would understand" look on his face. It had a decker plate cover over the rear but I don't think it was a Syncro. Anyone in Victoria seen it and know what engine it runs?

Cheers

Roger
--- On Thu, 15/7/10, Alison & Bruce Black <royalb@aapt. net.au> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Coolant Pipes, Down Under
To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
Received: Thursday, 15 July, 2010, 6:24 AM

Hello Roger
Good to have you back. Thanks for the info. I am
still mobile just need to do something about it reasonably soon.

Pity about the stash of cash Ken was talking about, as that day one
of my daughter's had just cost me a few thousand. Still that what a
family is all about, no complaints. On second thoughts that money
could have done wonders for the syncro!!!!!

Roger, been waiting for you to add a few extra bits to BenT's Down
Under map.

Bruce

Having now got the correct name was able to Google this.Seems may even help with corrosion problems. Now thinking of putting in under floor heating in my Syncro for cold Melbourne nights.

Roger

Uponor Multi-layer Composite Pipe

Uponor Multi-layer Composite pipe Uponor multi-layer composite pipe systems, now offers the most comprehensive range of plumbing and heating systems available.
Used extensively throughout Europe, Uponor MLC pipe is both flexible and formstable. Its enclosed aluminium pipe ensures that Uponor MLC pipe is 100% oxygen diffusion proof while maintaining very low expansion rates, similar to other metal pipes.
The inner and outer polyethylene pipes prevent scaling and corrosion and its unique combination of overlapped aluminium and raised-temperature polyethylene (PE-RT) ensures that Uponor MLC pipe is the only full strength plastic alternative to copper and now gives the installer the advantages of both metal and plastic, but with the disadvantages of neither.
Offered with fittings ranging from standard compression to the superb “Press-fit” system, Uponor MLC pipe brings new and genuine improved standards to installation techniques. Currently available in 12 sizes, Uponor MLC pipe is now the first genuine pipe for all applications, be it plumbing, heating or underfloor heating.

Roger,

Ideally an alternate pipe would have an OD of 38mm so as to allow the already present rubber hoses at both ends to fit over. Also to provide the same flow volume as presently exists, the pipe ID should be 32mm. So using the Uponer MLCP pipe, most likely it will be OD & ID dimensionally different, at the very least making the MLCP pipe/rubber hose end joins problematic.  

Gates (and probably Mackay also) standard EPDM synthetic rubber automotive coolant hose is heat rated to +135 deg C. The Uponer MLCP pipe spec I googled shows it tops out at +90 deg C. It also states a maximum continuous operating pressure of 10 bar at 70 deg C. Maybe your brother can comment further on this issue.

Someone may know whether the above heat and pressure ratings are compatible with Syncro coolant system specs.

I remain curious as to the potential of Bruce's previous comment re the Gates green stripe coolant hose. However, even if there is a dimensionally compatible green stripe hose, I believe (subject to confirmation) it only comes in 1 metre lengths, therefore requiring multiple end joins. Gets messier and messier.

May the saga continue.

Ken  

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 06:28:10 -0700
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Coolant Pipes,

Having now got the correct name was able to Google this.Seems may even help with corrosion problems. Now thinking of putting in under floor heating in my Syncro for cold Melbourne nights.

Roger

Uponor Multi-layer Composite Pipe

Uponor Multi-layer Composite pipe Uponor multi-layer composite pipe systems, now offers the most comprehensive range of plumbing and heating systems available.
Used extensively throughout Europe, Uponor MLC pipe is both flexible and formstable. Its enclosed aluminium pipe ensures that Uponor MLC pipe is 100% oxygen diffusion proof while maintaining very low expansion rates, similar to other metal pipes.
The inner and outer polyethylene pipes prevent scaling and corrosion and its unique combination of overlapped aluminium and raised-temperature polyethylene (PE-RT) ensures that Uponor MLC pipe is the only full strength plastic alternative to copper and now gives the installer the advantages of both metal and plastic, but with the disadvantages of neither.
Offered with fittings ranging from standard compression to the superb “Press-fit” system, Uponor MLC pipe brings new and genuine improved standards to installation techniques. Currently available in 12 sizes, Uponor MLC pipe is now the first genuine pipe for all applications, be it plumbing, heating or underfloor heating.

Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!
Hi Roger, thanks for the info and offer of trying out your beastie. Converting mine to a wasserboxer would be quite difficult though, i've spent hours reading about fitting an aaz which seems the most straightforward but still not that easy. I'm still waiting to hear the verdict on the state of my current engine. The diesel chap promised to ring on Friday so i expect i'll find out about Wednesday.

Weirdly enough one of my clients here is the daughter of Mr Hunt of Hunt Heating and she and her husband run a heating company here in Melbourne. I'm happy to try and find out more about the pipes if that would help. 

Cheers
Gary

On 24/07/2010, at 11:13 PM, Roger Bell wrote:

Dear Everyone,

Les first -sorry have looked through all my T4 and miscellaneous stuff and don't seem to have kept the razorback brochure (1 page from memory). Will contact you if I ever come across it.

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce
My brother rang me from Gove and I was able to ascertain and ring the local (Victorian distributor Hunt Heating 1300 001 800 (Still no reply from UK manufacturer) They(Mick in sales) told me they can supply from stock  Multilayer composite (MLC) pipe in 5 metre lengths of 32mm or 40mm o/d.($66 and $122 respectively plus gst.) He could not immediately verify it but he thought the wall thickness was about 3mm. They have an aluminium core  which allows them to bend to the curve needed but this is best done with a spring insert as when bending copper pipe.. My brother said the advantage of this MLC pipe  is that if you kink it on bending you can take it back to the original shape with a heat gun.

Ralph supplied the following on the go Westy brass insert kit which  confirms a one and half inch size which would need the 40mm pipe. The kit would probably be the best way of joining to the rubber connecting pipes but it would add to the cost (USD49 + freight.

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

My brother said he would be happy to facilitate things for you Bruce including providing a sample once he gets home early Sept. but I  would imagine you want to get back on the road before that. I take it the Go Westy kit wouldn't solve the problem by itself?

Repowering
Gary, Bruce of coolant pipe fame installed an inline  VW (1.8??) in his Petrol Syncro and could probably add something for your consideration. What about the twin cab power and transmission  below supplied by Andy?
I've been driving around lately thinking the 2.1 wasserboxer engine in my car with my 70 profile x 16" tyres really isn't too bad in the way it performs around town and on the highway.  Perhaps its the denser air of winter in Melbourne or perhaps they finally got them right by the end of '92. If you would like to borrow it for a couple of days to think about whether the relatively more simple alternative of a sound 2.1 petrol engine might fit the bill then you would be welcome as long as it doesn't come back with a clapped out diesel engine in it!.
On why the price of  diesel doesn't fluctuate like petrol I was told that the major users like Linfox and Toll put their not inconsiderable requirements  out to tender whereas the likes of you and me have insufficient buying power even in aggregate to warrant the competition reflected in petrol prices. As remarked before govt. excise also makes a difference according to useage eg on farm.

Here ended the 1st lesson. I'm going away to write out 500 times I must be more succinct.

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
The T3 twin cab belongs to a friend of mine. It has a Subaru SVX 3.3 litre engine running on LPG with an auto transmission. Its not  a Syncro but he wishes it was. I have driven this car a few times and its awesome, so much power. He has also upgraded the rear brakes with the rear disc brake kit from Queensland. Nice car!
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Sorry haven't been back on the coolant pipe substitutes. My Hydonic Heating brother is out of contact off in the "Nothing" part of the country on Ben's map in his Hilux and I have lost the name of the local distributor. I sent a request for this to the UK manufacturer and asked them for advice on our problem with the prospect of regular sales but to date have had a stoney silence. If you wanted additions to Ben's map obviously you would need to include Collingwood supporters and those offering free home roofing installation. They were filming "Underbelly" further down my street last week so I suppose you should also include my suburb and I should double chain my syncro to the nearest lampost.
Does anyone have the name of the Australian distributor from an earlier posting of mine and/or the internal and external diameter of the coolant pipes. I'm not keen to disturb mine to measure them internally.

Les I'm still raking through my hoard to see if I retained a brochure of the razorback. Will post it to the group and snail mail it to you if I locate it.

On another tack pulled up alongside a nicely preserved white T3 twincab ute at traffic lights the other day noting a small enamel plate on the rear and side door with "twin cam boxer" on it . I was in my Camry and the driver looked across at me with that self satisfied "if you owned one you would understand" look on his face. It had a decker plate cover over the rear but I don't think it was a Syncro. Anyone in Victoria seen it and know what engine it runs?

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

re
"Converting mine to a wasserboxer would be quite difficult though"

don't know if you know this about me or not ..
but 'what I do' is engine conversions to vanagons and syncro's ..full time.. 

as long as you are not thinking about changing gearing in the differentials...
I think a waterboxer engine will fall right in, more or less.

syncro petrol and diesel tanks are different ..but I think the diesel tank will clear a waterboxer starter just fine ( going the other way it will not  though )

that would be my only question ...about fuel tank and starter clearance with a waterboxer engine and diesel syncro fuel tank.
swapping the tank to run on gasoline ..
shouldn't be a problem. ..
just need the various bits and some patience and a good working space .

and since you already have in inline four ..
and might prefer petrol..
that makes one think of various inline four petrol engines that might work nicely ..
and VW ones are a pure-bolt in, pretty much.

Given the uh...'challenges' that waterboxer engines have, namely joke 'head gaskets'...
a cast iron block, aluminum OHC inline four petrol VW engine looks fairly attractive.

i have an 87 jetta 1.8 16 valve DOHC inline four petrol engine I hope to find time to put in one of my vans one of these days... 123 hp at 5,000-something rpm.
not a torque monster though, like you most likely would  prefer for a Syncro.

what fun these fine machines are !
Scott
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down Under,Razorback, T3twincab

Hi Roger, thanks for the info and offer of trying out your beastie. Converting mine to a wasserboxer would be quite difficult though, i've spent hours reading about fitting an aaz which seems the most straightforward but still not that easy. I'm still waiting to hear the verdict on the state of my current engine. The diesel chap promised to ring on Friday so i expect i'll find out about Wednesday.

Weirdly enough one of my clients here is the daughter of Mr Hunt of Hunt Heating and she and her husband run a heating company here in Melbourne. I'm happy to try and find out more about the pipes if that would help. 

Cheers
Gary

Dear Everyone,

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

Repowering

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

Hello Roger
Thanks for the info. Haven't done anything about
them yet.

As Phil says original pipes are available from classic parts de for
€116 each.

Stainless steel from quite a few places for around the US$350 mark.

Ken the local dealer told me he could get that hose in 10 foot
lengths. Haven't asked the cost yet.

My mechanic told me with hose you have to support it very well or you
could get air locks in it. Hence I guess the reason VW used pipes in
the first place, although there seem to be quite a few people in the
US using hose successfully. If I went that way one of my hoses could
be just one piece from radiator to engine. Not sure about the other.

Bruce
Hi Scott thanks appreciate the info. I don't see any point putting in a wasserboxer as the chances of finding a good one seem slim. I'm leaning towards an AAZ diesel.

It seems i can run my existing turbo which is fairly new and so keep my 1.6 exhaust manifold (which i reground flat at Christmas) and also use the Bosch pump on my 1.6.

So if i get that rebuilt (at great expense) it will keep me going while i hunt for an aaz and can then be reused on the aaz even. 

I think i'd prefer to stick with diesel but i'm not ruling out a 4 pot petrol.

They sure do keep you busy these syncros!
Gary

On 25/07/2010, at 10:35 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote:

re

as long as you are not thinking about changing gearing in the differentials. ..

syncro petrol and diesel tanks are different ..but I think the diesel tank will clear a waterboxer starter just fine ( going the other way it will not  though )

that would be my only question ...about fuel tank and starter clearance with a waterboxer engine and diesel syncro fuel tank.

that makes one think of various inline four petrol engines that might work nicely ..

Given the uh...'challenges' that waterboxer engines have, namely joke 'head gaskets'...
a cast iron block, aluminum OHC inline four petrol VW engine looks fairly attractive.

i have an 87 jetta 1.8 16 valve DOHC inline four petrol engine I hope to find time to put in one of my vans one of these days... 123 hp at 5,000-something rpm.

Scott
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down Under,Razorback, T3twincab

Cheers
Gary

Dear Everyone,

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

Repowering

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

hi,
re
They sure do keep you busy these syncros

man you can say that again ..
talk about a 'labor intensive' vehicle..
the engine part is the easy part even ...
syncro's have things  so packed there around the fuel tank, in the front suspension etc.

do you guys have much rust down there ?  Probalby not.
not much rust in Oregon where I am ..
but some syncro's from Canada, Alaska, and other northern climes are just desperately rusted from one end to the other.   Like almost 'not repairable.'

Scott
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down Under,Razorback, T3twincab

Hi Scott thanks appreciate the info. I don't see any point putting in a wasserboxer as the chances of finding a good one seem slim. I'm leaning towards an AAZ diesel.

It seems i can run my existing turbo which is fairly new and so keep my 1.6 exhaust manifold (which i reground flat at Christmas) and also use the Bosch pump on my 1.6.

So if i get that rebuilt (at great expense) it will keep me going while i hunt for an aaz and can then be reused on the aaz even. 

Gary

re

Scott
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down Under,Razorback, T3twincab

Cheers
Gary

Dear Everyone,

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

Repowering

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

Not too much rust here, climate is fairly dry but i'm from the UK originally where they put salt on the roads in winter and it is damp so i'm always amazed at the rust free undersides of Australian vehicles.

Gary

On 25/07/2010, at 1:47 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote:

hi,
re

syncro's have things  so packed there around the fuel tank, in the front suspension etc.

but some syncro's from Canada, Alaska, and other northern climes are just desperately rusted from one end to the other.   Like almost 'not repairable.'

Scott

Gary

re

Scott

Cheers
Gary

Dear Everyone,

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

Repowering

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

HI  Scott. How hard is it to find a 1,9 TDI  at your end , must have ECU and wiring loom, 1,9 TDI has been on my wish list for along time.

Regards
Alf

From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com>
Sent: Sun, 25 July, 2010 1:17:18 PM

hi,
re

Scott

Gary

re

Scott

Cheers
Gary

Dear Everyone,

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

Repowering

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

dry climate sure is good for cars..
it's very  good that way where I am.
I have seen  Syncro's  so rusted the driver's seat belt anchor points where gone.

Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:57 PM

Not too much rust here, climate is fairly dry but i'm from the UK originally where they put salt on the roads in winter and it is damp so i'm always amazed at the rust free undersides of Australian vehicles.

Gary

On 25/07/2010, at 1:47 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote:

hi,
re

Scott

Gary

re

Scott

Cheers
Gary

Dear Everyone,

Coolant Pipes.
Bruce

Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
GoWesty!
Click To Enlarge
Part # 251-121-399KIT
Get $2.50 GoBucks
upon purchase!

Repowering

Cheers

Roger

Hi Roger and all,
Cheers, Andy. 

Dear Bruce,

Cheers

Roger

Hello Roger

Under map.

Bruce

Bruce,

Gates Greenstripe in 10 foot lengths is a whole lot better than 1 metre lengths eh and being one of the alternatives to consider, a bonus for this alternative is that it is in fact actual coolant hose anyway. Also it's possibly heavier duty than Gates standard grade coolant hose. Any chance of getting further detailed spec info from a Gates Rep? Also, whether it's available in a 32mmID / 38mm OD size? I ask all this because I haven't yet found detailed specs/size range about it with Google.

Gates in Oz are based at 1-15 Hydrive Close Dandenong South Vic 3175. Phone: 9797 9666. The problem then is they don't publicise a 1800 phone number for interstate callers. Anyone down that way can help and follow this up for the group please?

Eyeballing my plastic coolant pipes, I see they are bundled with other pipes as well anyway and lots of zip ties holding them all together for support, also there are enough changes of direction and ups & downs along the lineal length, I doubt air locks would be a problem anyway. What might also need clarification though with a Gates Rep is whether or not this Gates Greenstripe in the size and lengths we need will in fact resist vacuum collapse.

Not sure what is different, if anything, with the coolant hose reticulation with your diesel motor. For example, a very rough lineal length check of my stock setup suggests 2 x 10 lineal foot lengths may only be enough to replace each plastic pipe only ... so in my case, probably need to leave the existing rubber hoses in place at each end and figure out how to join them ..... could be where the GoWesty hose repair kit comes into play.

Should all the above issues raised get the green light, it'd be handy to then get a short Greenstripe length and a GoWesty kit to experiment with first.

Cheers.

Ken

> To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
> From: royalb@aapt.net.au
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:39:21 +1000
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Coolant Pipes
>
> Hello Roger
> Thanks for the info. Haven't done anything about
> them yet.
>
> As Phil says original pipes are available from classic parts de for
> €116 each.
>
> Stainless steel from quite a few places for around the US$350 mark.
>
> Ken the local dealer told me he could get that hose in 10 foot
> lengths. Haven't asked the cost yet.
>
> My mechanic told me with hose you have to support it very well or you
> could get air locks in it. Hence I guess the reason VW used pipes in
> the first place, although there seem to be quite a few people in the
> US using hose successfully. If I went that way one of my hoses could
> be just one piece from radiator to engine. Not sure about the other.
>
> Bruce
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro_T3_Australia/
>
> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro_T3_Australia/join
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> Syncro_T3_Australia-digest@yahoogroups.com
> Syncro_T3_Australia-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> Syncro_T3_Australia-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>

Alf,Ebay,There is heaps of Golf engines etc.You can even buy a brand new WBX long motor.1900 US

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, alf ando <dansk53bus@...> wrote:
>
> HIÂ Scott. How hard is it to find a 1,9 TDIÂ at your end , must have ECU and
> wiring loom, 1,9 TDI has been on my wish list for along time.
>
> Regards
> Alf
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@...>
> Sent: Sun, 25 July, 2010 1:17:18 PM
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down
> Under,Razorback, T3twincab
>
> Â
> hi,
> re
> They sure do keep you busy these syncros
>
> man you can say that again ..
> talk about a 'labor intensive' vehicle..
> the engine part is the easy part even ...
> syncro's have things so packed there around the fuel tank, in the front
> suspension etc.
>
>
> do you guys have much rust down there ? Probalby not.
> not much rust in Oregon where I am ..
> but some syncro's from Canada, Alaska, and other northern climes are just
> desperately rusted from one end to the other.  Like almost 'not repairable.'
>
> Scott
> www.turbovans. com
> ----- Original Message -----
> >From: Gary Cookson
> >To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> >Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:38 PM
> >Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down
> >Under,Razorback, T3twincab
> >
> >Â
> >Hi Scott thanks appreciate the info. I don't see any point putting in a
> >wasserboxer as the chances of finding a good one seem slim. I'm leaning towards
> >an AAZ diesel.
> >
> >
> >
> >It seems i can run my existing turbo which is fairly new and so keep my 1.6
> >exhaust manifold (which i reground flat at Christmas) and also use the Bosch
> >pump on my 1.6.
> >
> >
> >So if i get that rebuilt (at great expense) it will keep me going while i hunt
> >for an aaz and can then be reused on the aaz even.Â
> >
> >
> >I think i'd prefer to stick with diesel but i'm not ruling out a 4 pot petrol.
> >
> >
> >They sure do keep you busy these syncros!
> >Gary
> >
> >
> >
> >On 25/07/2010, at 10:35 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote:
> >
> >Â
> >>
> >>
> >>re
> >>"Converting mine to a wasserboxer would be quite difficult though"
> >>
> >>don't know if you know this about me or not ..
> >>but 'what I do' is engine conversions to vanagons and syncro's ..full time..Â
> >>
> >>as long as you are not thinking about changing gearing in the differentials.
> ..
> >>I think a waterboxer engine will fall right in, more or less.
> >>
> >>syncro petrol and diesel tanks are different ..but I think the diesel tank will
> >>clear a waterboxer starter just fine ( going the other way it will not though )
> >>
> >>
> >>that would be my only question ...about fuel tank and starter clearance with a
> >>waterboxer engine and diesel syncro fuel tank.
> >>swapping the tank to run on gasoline ..
> >>shouldn't be a problem. ..
> >>just need the various bits and some patience and a good working space .
> >>
> >>and since you already have in inline four ..
> >>and might prefer petrol..
> >>that makes one think of various inline four petrol engines that might work
> >>nicely ..
> >>and VW ones are a pure-bolt in, pretty much.
> >>
> >>Given the uh...'challenges' that waterboxer engines have, namely joke 'head
> >>gaskets'...
> >>a cast iron block, aluminum OHC inline four petrol VW engine looks fairly
> >>attractive.
> >>
> >>i have an 87 jetta 1.8 16 valve DOHC inline four petrol engine I hope to find
> >>time to put in one of my vans one of these days... 123 hp at 5,000-something
> >>rpm.
> >>
> >>not a torque monster though, like you most likely would  prefer for a Syncro.
> >>
> >>what fun these fine machines are !
> >>Scott
> >>www.turbovans. com
> >>----- Original Message -----
> >>>From: Gary Cookson
> >>>To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> >>>Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 3:15 PM
> >>>Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down
> >>>Under,Razorback, T3twincab
> >>>
> >>>Â
> >>>Hi Roger, thanks for the info and offer of trying out your beastie. Converting
> >>>mine to a wasserboxer would be quite difficult though, i've spent hours reading
> >>>about fitting an aaz which seems the most straightforward but still not that
> >>>easy. I'm still waiting to hear the verdict on the state of my current engine.
> >>>The diesel chap promised to ring on Friday so i expect i'll find out about
> >>>Wednesday.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Weirdly enough one of my clients here is the daughter of Mr Hunt of Hunt Heating
> >>>and she and her husband run a heating company here in Melbourne. I'm happy to
> >>>try and find out more about the pipes if that would help.Â
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Cheers
> >>>Gary
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>On 24/07/2010, at 11:13 PM, Roger Bell wrote:
> >>>
> >>>Â
> >>>>Dear Everyone,
> >>>>Lots of things to reply to here, some of which  complement each other.
> >>>>
> >>>>Les first -sorry have looked through all my T4 and miscellaneous stuff and don't
> >>>>seem to have kept the razorback brochure (1 page from memory). Will contact you
> >>>>if I ever come across it.
> >>>>
> >>>>Coolant Pipes.
> >>>>Bruce
> >>>>My brother rang me from Gove and I was able to ascertain and ring the local
> >>>>(Victorian distributor Hunt Heating 1300 001 800 (Still no reply from UK
> >>>>manufacturer) They(Mick in sales) told me they can supply from stock Multilayer
> >>>>composite (MLC) pipe in 5Â metre lengths of 32mm or 40mm o/d.($66 and $122
> >>>>respectively plus gst.)Â He could not immediately verify it but he thought the
> >>>>wall thickness was about 3mm. They have an aluminium core which allows them to
> >>>>bend to the curve needed but this is best done with a spring insert as when
> >>>>bending copper pipe.. My brother said the advantage of this MLC pipe  is that if
> >>>>you kink it on bending you can take it back to the original shape with a heat
> >>>>gun.
> >>>>
> >>>>Ralph supplied the following on the go Westy brass insert kit which confirms a
> >>>>one and half inch size which would need the 40mm pipe. The kit would probably be
> >>>>the best way of joining to the rubber connecting pipes but it would add to the
> >>>>cost (USD49 + freight.
> >>>>
> >>>>Coolant Pipe Repair Kit
> >>>>
> >>>>Click To Enlarge
> >>>>Part # 251-121-399KIT
> >>>>Works with: 1986 - 1991
> >>>>Weight: 3.00 lbs
> >>>>Our Price: $49.95
> >>>> Get $2.50 GoBucks
> >>>>upon purchase!
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>My brother said he would be happy to facilitate things for you Bruce including
> >>>>providing a sample once he gets home early Sept. but IÂ would imagine you want
> >>>>to get back on the road before that. I take it the Go Westy kit wouldn't solve
> >>>>the problem by itself?
> >>>>
> >>>>Repowering
> >>>>Gary, Bruce of coolant pipe fame installed an inline VW (1.8??) in his Petrol
> >>>>Syncro and could probably add something for your consideration. What about the
> >>>>twin cab power and transmission  below supplied by Andy?
> >>>>I've been driving around lately thinking the 2.1 wasserboxer engine in my car
> >>>>with my 70 profile x 16" tyres really isn't too bad in the way it performs
> >>>>around town and on the highway. Â Perhaps its the denser air of winter in
> >>>>Melbourne or perhaps they finally got them right by the end of '92. If you would
> >>>>like to borrow it for a couple of days to think about whether the
> >>>>relatively more simple alternative of a sound 2.1 petrol engine might fit the
> >>>>bill then you would be welcome as long as it doesn't come back with a clapped
> >>>>out diesel engine in it!.
> >>>>On why the price of  diesel doesn't fluctuate like petrol I was told that the
> >>>>major users like Linfox and Toll put their not inconsiderable requirements out
> >>>>to tender whereas the likes of you and me have insufficient buying power even in
> >>>>aggregate to warrant the competition reflected in petrol prices. As remarked
> >>>>before govt. excise also makes a difference according to useage eg on farm.
> >>>>
> >>>>Â
> >>>>Here ended the 1st lesson. I'm going away to write out 500 times I must be more
> >>>>succinct.
> >>>>
> >>>>Cheers
> >>>>Roger
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>--- On Fri, 23/7/10, Andy Sinclair <andy@...> wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>From: Andy Sinclair <andy@...>
> >>>>>Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Coolant Pipes, Down Under, T3twincab
> >>>>>To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> >>>>>Received: Friday, 23 July, 2010, 5:41 AM
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Â
> >>>>>Hi Roger and all,
> >>>>>The T3 twin cab belongs to a friend of mine. It has a Subaru SVX 3.3
> >>>>>litre engine running on LPG with an auto transmission. Its not a Syncro but he
> >>>>>wishes it was. I have driven this car a few times and its awesome, so much
> >>>>>power. He has also upgraded the rear brakes with the rear disc brake kit from
> >>>>>Queensland. Nice car!
> >>>>>Cheers, Andy.Â
> >>>>>Â
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>From: Roger Bell
> >>>>>Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:34 AM
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Â
> >>>>>Dear Bruce,
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Sorry haven't been back on the coolant pipe substitutes. My Hydonic Heating
> >>>>>brother is out of contact off in the "Nothing" part of the country on Ben's
> >>>>>map in his Hilux and I have lost the name of the local distributor. I sent a
> >>>>>request for this to the UK manufacturer and asked them for advice on our problem
> >>>>>with the prospect of regular sales but to date have had a stoney silence. If you
> >>>>>wanted additions to Ben's map obviously you would need to include Collingwood
> >>>>>supporters and those offering free home roofing installation. They were filming
> >>>>>"Underbelly" further down my street last week so I suppose you should
> >>>>>also include my suburb and I should double chain my syncro to the nearest
> >>>>>lampost.
> >>>>>Does anyone have the name of the Australian distributor from an earlier posting
> >>>>>of mine and/or the internal and external diameter of the coolant pipes. I'm not
> >>>>>keen to disturb mine to measure them internally.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Les I'm still raking through my hoard to see if I retained a brochure of the
> >>>>>razorback. Will post it to the group and snail mail it to you if I locate it.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>On another tack pulled up alongside a nicely preserved white T3 twincab ute at
> >>>>>traffic lights the other day noting a small enamel plate on the rear and side
> >>>>>door with "twin cam boxer" on it . I was in my Camry and the driver looked
> >>>>>across at me with that self satisfied "if you owned one you would understand"
> >>>>>look on his face. It had a decker plate cover over the rear but I don't think it
> >>>>>was a Syncro. Anyone in Victoria seen it and know what engine it runs?
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Cheers
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Roger
> >>>>>--- On Thu, 15/7/10, Alison & Bruce Black <royalb@aapt. net.au> wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>From: Alison & Bruce Black <royalb@aapt. net.au>
> >>>>>>Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Coolant Pipes, Down Under
> >>>>>>To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> >>>>>>Received: Thursday, 15 July, 2010, 6:24 AM
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Â
> >>>>>>Hello Roger
> >>>>>>Good to have you back. Thanks for the info. I am
> >>>>>>still mobile just need to do something about it reasonably soon.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Pity about the stash of cash Ken was talking about, as that day one
> >>>>>>of my daughter's had just cost me a few thousand. Still that what a
> >>>>>>family is all about, no complaints. On second thoughts that money
> >>>>>>could have done wonders for the syncro!!!!!
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Roger, been waiting for you to add a few extra bits to BenT's Down
> >>>>>>Under map.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Bruce
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>Â
> >>>>Â
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> >
> >
>
I've been dealing with Richard from Tooley Imports Aust parts@tooley.com.au You could try him?

tooleyparts@gmail.com; on behalf of; Tooley Imports [parts@tooley.com.au]

Ralph

-----Original Message-----
From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ken Garratt
Sent: Sunday, 25 July 2010 10:21 p.m.
To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Coolant Pipes

Bruce,

Gates Greenstripe in 10 foot lengths is a whole lot better than 1 metre lengths eh and being one of the alternatives to consider, a bonus for this alternative is that it is in fact actual coolant hose anyway. Also it's possibly heavier duty than Gates standard grade coolant hose. Any chance of getting further detailed spec info from a Gates Rep? Also, whether it's available in a 32mmID / 38mm OD size? I ask all this because I haven't yet found detailed specs/size range about it with Google.

Gates in Oz are based at 1-15 Hydrive Close Dandenong South Vic 3175. Phone: 9797 9666. The problem then is they don't publicise a 1800 phone number for interstate callers. Anyone down that way can help and follow this up for the group please?

Eyeballing my plastic coolant pipes, I see they are bundled with other pipes as well anyway and lots of zip ties holding them all together for support, also there are enough changes of direction and ups & downs along the lineal length, I doubt air locks would be a problem anyway. What might also need clarification though with a Gates Rep is whether or not this Gates Greenstripe in the size and lengths we need will in fact resist vacuum collapse.

Not sure what is different, if anything, with the coolant hose reticulation with your diesel motor. For example, a very rough lineal length check of my stock setup suggests 2 x 10 lineal foot lengths may only be enough to replace each plastic pipe only ... so in my case, probably need to leave the existing rubber hoses in place at each end and figure out how to join them ..... could be where the GoWesty hose repair kit comes into play.

Should all the above issues raised get the green light, it'd be handy to then get a short Greenstripe length and a GoWesty kit to experiment with first.

Cheers.

Ken

> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> From: royalb@aapt. net.au
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 12:39:21 +1000
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a] Coolant Pipes
>
> Hello Roger
> Thanks for the info. Haven't done anything about
> them yet.
>
> As Phil says original pipes are available from classic parts de for
> €116 each.
>
> Stainless steel from quite a few places for around the US$350 mark.
>
> Ken the local dealer told me he could get that hose in 10 foot
> lengths. Haven't asked the cost yet.
>
> My mechanic told me with hose you have to support it very well or you
> could get air locks in it. Hence I guess the reason VW used pipes in
> the first place, although there seem to be quite a few people in the
> US using hose successfully. If I went that way one of my hoses could
> be just one piece from radiator to engine. Not sure about the other.
>
> Bruce
>
> ------------ --------- --------- ------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Syncro_ T3_Australia/
>
> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Syncro_ T3_Australia/ join
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> Syncro_T3_Australia -digest@yahoogro ups.com
> Syncro_T3_Australia -fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> Syncro_T3_Australia -unsubscribe@ yahoogroups. com
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/
>

Ken,
So they don't get phone calls from the entire Victorian register I'll undertake to give Gates a (local) call Monday and post the result. Didn't the 1.9 wasserboxer have rubber coolant pipes rather than the 2.1's plastic?
Francesca,
Pleased you are enjoying your Syncro again but then your engine does know the school holidays are over.
Smilarly stopped at Woodend bakery on Saturday and sampled their equally delicious coffee scrolls before going on to Trentham and doing part of the walk along their old railway track. Unfortunately having trouble getting my wife Heather out in the Syncro as she prefers our other car. She reckons the Syncro is too "blokey". Guess I'll have to paint it pink.
Gary
What a coincidence on Hunts. Seems I don't need to persevere with them due to the other alternatives and problems with matching the size differences.
Bruce let me drive his diesel on the first Shallow River Crossing get together  and I can understand the appeal for you to stay with the oil burner.
Cheers
Roger

Bruce,

Roger,
Thanks for the offer. If they have even longer than 10 feet lengths, and if they have some brilliant end joiners that don't compromise the internal dimension and volume flow, even better.

I actually have here the Gates Hoses Cattledog but nowhere in it is anything on their Greenstripe range. Nor costings.

Cheers.
Ken

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:27:10 -0700
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Coolant Pipes and vanilla slices

Ken,
So they don't get phone calls from the entire Victorian register I'll undertake to give Gates a (local) call Monday and post the result. Didn't the 1.9 wasserboxer have rubber coolant pipes rather than the 2.1's plastic?
Francesca,
Pleased you are enjoying your Syncro again but then your engine does know the school holidays are over.
Smilarly stopped at Woodend bakery on Saturday and sampled their equally delicious coffee scrolls before going on to Trentham and doing part of the walk along their old railway track. Unfortunately having trouble getting my wife Heather out in the Syncro as she prefers our other car. She reckons the Syncro is too "blokey". Guess I'll have to paint it pink.
Gary
What a coincidence on Hunts. Seems I don't need to persevere with them due to the other alternatives and problems with matching the size differences.
Bruce let me drive his diesel on the first Shallow River Crossing get together  and I can understand the appeal for you to stay with the oil burner.
Cheers
Roger

Bruce,

Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!
Hi Alf,
TDI engines in North America are easy to find.
( don't know what you mean by TDIA though ).

they're expensive.
one guy I know with one...might still have it, and all the stuff to go with it suppossidly ..
I think it's around $ 4000 US. 

personally I think the greatest advantage to a tid engine is bragging rights.

get on the tdi-conversion list.  Read about the blow turbo's etc.
not to ruin your fun,
and people are driving full electronic TDI engines in syncro's ..
and TDI's converted to pure mechanical injection pump and no electronics, and they're happy ...
I just think they are expesnive to get, have expensvie problems much to easily,
and are complex with electronics and intercooler..
even watercooled intercoolers with their own separate cooling system.

but people are nutty about them for sure ..
but long term ..and in terms of pure practicality and longevity ..
I'd say you want to really take good care of one. and be very smart about it.

I'm gathering that much of your driving or adventuing conditions are poking along on the level more or less, with maybe 100 Kph max ...and spending most of the time below that.
Which would be really easy on most engines.

here........there are 8 mile long freeway grades and it's 90 F outside..
cars are zooming by left and right  at 80 mph sometimes ( only slight exgerration )
and we want to cruise on highways at say .....75 mph.

put all that together, using a car engine to push a large and heavy syncro van ...
it's rough on things.
I know of two tdi syhcros' one mechanical, one fully electronic..
and this might not souund like a big deal to you guys .
but they are limited to 45 mph on long grades due to EGT's getting to high.
they have the power to go faster ...but EGT's will get too high, even with very efficenint intercooler setups.
  That probably sounds just fine to you guys ../
45 mph on long grades...
but here there can be many of those long grades where the speed limit is 70mph ..
so you'r rather not be in the far right lane with the big trucks ..

oh fuel milage, that' one big reason people drive diesels..
the electronic tdi sycnro I work on sometimes ..
guy gets about 25 mpg ( sorry, with effort I could convert that to your milage system ..but that's 'rather ordinary' for a big van...
in waterboxer .....a wbxr syncro will do 20 mph with normal size tires and driving it nicely.
a six cyliner Subaru Syncro ..will do 14 to 17 mpg.
in that light, 25 mpg looks great ! 
and I imagine you'd be satisfied with that fuel milage figure - 25 mpg.

it bothers me that the timing belt is so hyper critical...
I think those smaller late model turbo's wear out easily ( though our driving conditions might be much rougher on our turbo's than your driving conditions might be ....here it is often hot, fast, and long grades to climb - there's one guy who got one year out of tdi turbo ..
though oil flow angles might have been wrong, maybe that was a cheap turbo etc...but he's not happy. He's on his 3rd turbo now, with fingers crossed.  ) ..

and the elctronics ..
if you're all on top of that with VAG-COM and all that ...
sure, they're like any modern electronically controlled engine, more or less.

sure ....gotta have a tdi !

oh ...I value longevity, durability, and reliability most of all.
let's say................. it's not automatically gurannteed at all that you'll get that in a tdi engine in a syncro ..
perhaps  half or up to 3/4 of the people do ...but not 95 % of them , I can say that for sure.

and if it's something you always wanted ...
well, then you gotta get that out of your system and go for it.

and study on the tdi-conversion list.
lol,
Scott

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:09 AM

Alf,Ebay,There is heaps of Golf engines etc.You can even buy a brand new WBX long motor.1900 US

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, alf ando <dansk53bus@...> wrote:
>
> HI  Scott. How hard is it to find a 1,9 TDI  at your end , must have ECU and
>
> Regards
> Alf
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@...>
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down
>
>  
> hi,
> re
>
> syncro's have things  so packed there around the fuel tank, in the front
> suspension etc.
>
>
> do you guys have much rust down there ?  Probalby not.
> desperately rusted from one end to the other.   Like almost 'not repairable.'
>
> Scott
> www.turbovans. com
> >
> > 
> >wasserboxer as the chances of finding a good one seem slim. I'm leaning towards
> >an AAZ diesel.
> >
> >
> >
> >pump on my 1.6.
> >
> >
> >So if i get that rebuilt (at great expense) it will keep me going while i hunt
> >for an aaz and can then be reused on the aaz even. 
> >
> >
> >I think i'd prefer to stick with diesel but i'm not ruling out a 4 pot petrol.
> >
> >
> >Gary
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> >>
> >>
> >>re
> >>
> >>but 'what I do' is engine conversions to vanagons and syncro's ..full time.. 
> >>
> >>as long as you are not thinking about changing gearing in the differentials.
> ..
> >>
> >>syncro petrol and diesel tanks are different ..but I think the diesel tank will
> >>clear a waterboxer starter just fine ( going the other way it will not  though )
> >>
> >>
> >>that would be my only question ...about fuel tank and starter clearance with a
> >>
> >>nicely ..
> >>
> >>gaskets'...
> >>attractive.
> >>
> >>i have an 87 jetta 1.8 16 valve DOHC inline four petrol engine I hope to find
> >>time to put in one of my vans one of these days... 123 hp at 5,000-something
> >>rpm.
> >>
> >>not a torque monster though, like you most likely would  prefer for a Syncro.
> >>
> >>Scott
> >>www.turbovans. com
> >>>
> >>> 
> >>>Hi Roger, thanks for the info and offer of trying out your beastie. Converting
> >>>mine to a wasserboxer would be quite difficult though, i've spent hours reading
> >>>about fitting an aaz which seems the most straightforward but still not that
> >>>easy. I'm still waiting to hear the verdict on the state of my current engine.
> >>>Wednesday.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Weirdly enough one of my clients here is the daughter of Mr Hunt of Hunt Heating
> >>>and she and her husband run a heating company here in Melbourne. I'm happy to
> >>>try and find out more about the pipes if that would help. 
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Cheers
> >>>Gary
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> 
> >>>>Dear Everyone,
> >>>>
> >>>>Les first -sorry have looked through all my T4 and miscellaneous stuff and don't
> >>>>seem to have kept the razorback brochure (1 page from memory). Will contact you
> >>>>
> >>>>Coolant Pipes.
> >>>>Bruce
> >>>>My brother rang me from Gove and I was able to ascertain and ring the local
> >>>>manufacturer) They(Mick in sales) told me they can supply from stock  Multilayer
> >>>>composite (MLC) pipe in 5 metre lengths of 32mm or 40mm o/d.($66 and $122
> >>>>respectively plus gst.) He could not immediately verify it but he thought the
> >>>>wall thickness was about 3mm. They have an aluminium core  which allows them to
> >>>>bend to the curve needed but this is best done with a spring insert as when
> >>>>bending copper pipe.. My brother said the advantage of this MLC pipe  is that if
> >>>>you kink it on bending you can take it back to the original shape with a heat
> >>>>gun.
> >>>>
> >>>>Ralph supplied the following on the go Westy brass insert kit which  confirms a
> >>>>one and half inch size which would need the 40mm pipe. The kit would probably be
> >>>>the best way of joining to the rubber connecting pipes but it would add to the
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>Click To Enlarge
> >>>> Get $2.50 GoBucks
> >>>>upon purchase!
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>My brother said he would be happy to facilitate things for you Bruce including
> >>>>providing a sample once he gets home early Sept. but I  would imagine you want
> >>>>to get back on the road before that. I take it the Go Westy kit wouldn't solve
> >>>>
> >>>>Repowering
> >>>>Gary, Bruce of coolant pipe fame installed an inline  VW (1.8??) in his Petrol
> >>>>Syncro and could probably add something for your consideration. What about the
> >>>>I've been driving around lately thinking the 2.1 wasserboxer engine in my car
> >>>>with my 70 profile x 16" tyres really isn't too bad in the way it performs
> >>>>around town and on the highway.  Perhaps its the denser air of winter in
> >>>>Melbourne or perhaps they finally got them right by the end of '92. If you would
> >>>>relatively more simple alternative of a sound 2.1 petrol engine might fit the
> >>>>bill then you would be welcome as long as it doesn't come back with a clapped
> >>>>On why the price of  diesel doesn't fluctuate like petrol I was told that the
> >>>>major users like Linfox and Toll put their not inconsiderable requirements  out
> >>>>to tender whereas the likes of you and me have insufficient buying power even in
> >>>>aggregate to warrant the competition reflected in petrol prices. As remarked
> >>>>before govt. excise also makes a difference according to useage eg on farm.
> >>>>
> >>>> 
> >>>>Here ended the 1st lesson. I'm going away to write out 500 times I must be more
> >>>>succinct.
> >>>>
> >>>>Cheers
> >>>>Roger
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> 
> >>>>>Hi Roger and all,
> >>>>>litre engine running on LPG with an auto transmission. Its not  a Syncro but he
> >>>>>wishes it was. I have driven this car a few times and its awesome, so much
> >>>>>power. He has also upgraded the rear brakes with the rear disc brake kit from
> >>>>>Cheers, Andy. 
> >>>>> 
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> 
> >>>>>Dear Bruce,
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Sorry haven't been back on the coolant pipe substitutes. My Hydonic Heating
> >>>>>brother is out of contact off in the "Nothing" part of the country on Ben's
> >>>>>map in his Hilux and I have lost the name of the local distributor. I sent a
> >>>>>request for this to the UK manufacturer and asked them for advice on our problem
> >>>>>with the prospect of regular sales but to date have had a stoney silence. If you
> >>>>>wanted additions to Ben's map obviously you would need to include Collingwood
> >>>>>supporters and those offering free home roofing installation. They were filming
> >>>>>also include my suburb and I should double chain my syncro to the nearest
> >>>>>lampost.
> >>>>>Does anyone have the name of the Australian distributor from an earlier posting
> >>>>>of mine and/or the internal and external diameter of the coolant pipes. I'm not
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Les I'm still raking through my hoard to see if I retained a brochure of the
> >>>>>razorback. Will post it to the group and snail mail it to you if I locate it.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>On another tack pulled up alongside a nicely preserved white T3 twincab ute at
> >>>>>traffic lights the other day noting a small enamel plate on the rear and side
> >>>>>door with "twin cam boxer" on it . I was in my Camry and the driver looked
> >>>>>across at me with that self satisfied "if you owned one you would understand"
> >>>>>look on his face. It had a decker plate cover over the rear but I don't think it
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Cheers
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Roger
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> 
> >>>>>>Hello Roger
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Under map.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Bruce
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>> 
> >>>> 
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >
> >
> >
>

Thanks, Roger. Will sample coffee scrolls next time. Hope you had a nice walk up Trentham way. Maybe just some pink fluffly dice in the window will knock the 'blokey' edge off.

Francesca.

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Ken Garratt <unclekenz@hotmail.com> wrote:

Roger,
Thanks for the offer. If they have even longer than 10 feet lengths, and if they have some brilliant end joiners that don't compromise the internal dimension and volume flow, even better.

I actually have here the Gates Hoses Cattledog but nowhere in it is anything on their Greenstripe range. Nor costings.

Cheers.
Ken

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:27:10 -0700
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Coolant Pipes and vanilla slices

Ken,
So they don't get phone calls from the entire Victorian register I'll undertake to give Gates a (local) call Monday and post the result. Didn't the 1.9 wasserboxer have rubber coolant pipes rather than the 2.1's plastic?
Francesca,
Pleased you are enjoying your Syncro again but then your engine does know the school holidays are over.
Gary
Bruce let me drive his diesel on the first Shallow River Crossing get together and I can understand the appeal for you to stay with the oil burner.
Cheers
Roger
Bruce,

Gates Greenstripe in 10 foot lengths is a whole lot better than 1 metre lengths eh and being one of the alternatives to consider, a bonus for this alternative is that it is in fact actual coolant hose anyway. Also it's possibly heavier duty than Gates standard grade coolant hose. Any chance of getting further detailed spec info from a Gates Rep? Also, whether it's available in a 32mmID / 38mm OD size? I ask all this because I haven't yet found detailed specs/size range about it with Google.

Gates in Oz are based at 1-15 Hydrive Close Dandenong South Vic 3175. Phone: 9797 9666. The problem then is they don't publicise a 1800 phone number for interstate callers. Anyone down that way can help and follow this up for the group please?

Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!

Ken,
I checked with the local Repco shop ( Gates suppliers).
The Wire-Inserted Green Stripe Coolant Hose 1.5"I.D. $255.00 !! per 10 foot
Cheers
Theo
Thanks for that scott. I don't know where the A came from . When I was in germany for the syncro 25, I spoke to so many people including Jean Louise from the busman , and he said 1,9 TDI was the only way to go, and the performens we saw from these vehicle climbing hills was out standing.

Alf

From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@turbovans.com>
Sent: Mon, 26 July, 2010 8:28:34 AM

Hi Alf,
TDI engines in North America are easy to find.
( don't know what you mean by TDIA though ).

they're expensive.
one guy I know with one...might still have it, and all the stuff to go with it suppossidly ..
I think it's around $ 4000 US. 

personally I think the greatest advantage to a tid engine is bragging rights.

get on the tdi-conversion list.  Read about the blow turbo's etc.
not to ruin your fun,
and people are driving full electronic TDI engines in syncro's ..
and TDI's converted to pure mechanical injection pump and no electronics, and they're happy ...
I just think they are expesnive to get, have expensvie problems much to easily,
and are complex with electronics and intercooler. .
even watercooled intercoolers with their own separate cooling system.

but people are nutty about them for sure ..
but long term ..and in terms of pure practicality and longevity ..
I'd say you want to really take good care of one. and be very smart about it.

I'm gathering that much of your driving or adventuing conditions are poking along on the level more or less, with maybe 100 Kph max ...and spending most of the time below that.
Which would be really easy on most engines.

here........ there are 8 mile long freeway grades and it's 90 F outside..
cars are zooming by left and right  at 80 mph sometimes ( only slight exgerration )
and we want to cruise on highways at say .....75 mph.

put all that together, using a car engine to push a large and heavy syncro van ...
it's rough on things.
I know of two tdi syhcros' one mechanical, one fully electronic..
and this might not souund like a big deal to you guys .
but they are limited to 45 mph on long grades due to EGT's getting to high.
they have the power to go faster ...but EGT's will get too high, even with very efficenint intercooler setups.
  That probably sounds just fine to you guys ../
45 mph on long grades...
but here there can be many of those long grades where the speed limit is 70mph ..
so you'r rather not be in the far right lane with the big trucks ..

oh fuel milage, that' one big reason people drive diesels..
the electronic tdi sycnro I work on sometimes ..
guy gets about 25 mpg ( sorry, with effort I could convert that to your milage system ..but that's 'rather ordinary' for a big van...
in waterboxer .....a wbxr syncro will do 20 mph with normal size tires and driving it nicely.
a six cyliner Subaru Syncro ..will do 14 to 17 mpg.
in that light, 25 mpg looks great ! 
and I imagine you'd be satisfied with that fuel milage figure - 25 mpg.

it bothers me that the timing belt is so hyper critical...
I think those smaller late model turbo's wear out easily ( though our driving conditions might be much rougher on our turbo's than your driving conditions might be ....here it is often hot, fast, and long grades to climb - there's one guy who got one year out of tdi turbo ..
though oil flow angles might have been wrong, maybe that was a cheap turbo etc...but he's not happy. He's on his 3rd turbo now, with fingers crossed.  ) ..

and the elctronics ..
if you're all on top of that with VAG-COM and all that ...
sure, they're like any modern electronically controlled engine, more or less.

sure ....gotta have a tdi !

oh ...I value longevity, durability, and reliability most of all.
let's say......... ........ it's not automatically gurannteed at all that you'll get that in a tdi engine in a syncro ..
perhaps  half or up to 3/4 of the people do ...but not 95 % of them , I can say that for sure.

and if it's something you always wanted ...
well, then you gotta get that out of your system and go for it.

and study on the tdi-conversion list.
lol,
Scott

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:09 AM

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com, alf ando <dansk53bus@. ..> wrote:
>
> HI  Scott. How hard is it to find a 1,9 TDI  at your end , must have ECU and
>
> Regards
> Alf
>
>
>
>
> ____________ _________ _________ __
> From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <ScottDaniel@ ...>
> To: Syncro_T3_Australia @yahoogroups. com
> Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australi a]repowering, Coolant Pipes, Down
>
>  
> hi,
> re
>
> syncro's have things  so packed there around the fuel tank, in the front
> suspension etc.
>
>
> do you guys have much rust down there ?  Probalby not.
> desperately rusted from one end to the other.   Like almost 'not repairable.'
>
> Scott
> www.turbovans. com
> >
> > 
> >an AAZ diesel.
> >
> >
> >
> >pump on my 1.6.
> >
> >
> >for an aaz and can then be reused on the aaz even. 
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >Gary
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 
> >>
> >>
> >>re
> >>
> >>but 'what I do' is engine conversions to vanagons and syncro's ..full time.. 
> >>
> ..
> >>
> >>clear a waterboxer starter just fine ( going the other way it will not  though )
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>nicely ..
> >>
> >>gaskets'...
> >>attractive.
> >>
> >>rpm.
> >>
> >>
> >>Scott
> >>www.turbovans. com
> >>>
> >>> 
> >>>Wednesday.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>try and find out more about the pipes if that would help. 
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>Cheers
> >>>Gary
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> 
> >>>>Dear Everyone,
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>Coolant Pipes.
> >>>>Bruce
> >>>>manufacturer) They(Mick in sales) told me they can supply from stock  Multilayer
> >>>>composite (MLC) pipe in 5 metre lengths of 32mm or 40mm o/d.($66 and $122
> >>>>respectively plus gst.) He could not immediately verify it but he thought the
> >>>>wall thickness was about 3mm. They have an aluminium core  which allows them to
> >>>>gun.
> >>>>
> >>>>Ralph supplied the following on the go Westy brass insert kit which  confirms a
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>Click To Enlarge
> >>>> Get $2.50 GoBucks
> >>>>upon purchase!
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>providing a sample once he gets home early Sept. but I  would imagine you want
> >>>>
> >>>>Repowering
> >>>>Gary, Bruce of coolant pipe fame installed an inline  VW (1.8??) in his Petrol
> >>>>around town and on the highway.  Perhaps its the denser air of winter in
> >>>>major users like Linfox and Toll put their not inconsiderable requirements  out
> >>>>
> >>>> 
> >>>>succinct.
> >>>>
> >>>>Cheers
> >>>>Roger
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> 
> >>>>>Hi Roger and all,
> >>>>>litre engine running on LPG with an auto transmission. Its not  a Syncro but he
> >>>>>Cheers, Andy. 
> >>>>> 
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> 
> >>>>>Dear Bruce,
> >>>>>
> >>>>>lampost.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Cheers
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Roger
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>> 
> >>>>>>Hello Roger
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Under map.
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>Bruce
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>> 
> >>>> 
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>