T3 wheel bearings

Hullo my name is Jon Elliott living in Gracetown near Margaret River in the South West of WA and I am new to this site. I have a 1989 Syncro with 273,000 km on the clock which I purchased when it had done 60,000 km around 1994. It was set up as a 'part' camper when new.
I joined this site to take advantage of member's knowledge and experience with their Syncros and have been following the postings for a few weeks now and I feel sure I have done the right thing.
Recently I had the rear LH wheel bearings renewed by a local workshop. After two weeks of trying to obtain a set of bearings the mechanic located some in Sydney which he was told were the last available!
After about a week's driving the Syncro stated to make the deteriorating wheel bearing noise again so I assumed that the rear RH bearings were on the way out. I jacked up the van and tested the 3 wheels which had not had the bearings replaced. All seemed to be OK.
Surely it couldn't be the wheel that had been repaired! Back on the jack, off with the hubcap and discovered that the the wheel nut had not been tightened or the locking split pin replaced. The wheel could be moved in and out 2-3mm.
After I post this message I will be composing a list of adjectives to use when I go to see the repairer tomorrow, but my immediate requirement is to locate a supplier of T3 wheel bearings so I am hoping members can help me.
I have not seen any postings from other WA members but I would like to hear from them as to their experience with local repairers and parts suppliers.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

John,

That oversight is inexcusable.   It could have killed you or other people.

We have several sources for parts around Australia .   Occasionally, we have to go overseas and we can usually point people in the right direction.

Les

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Jon Elliott
Sent: 22 May 2011 17:55
To: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] T3 wheel bearings

Hullo my name is Jon Elliott living in Gracetown near Margaret River in the South West of WA and I am new to this site. I have a 1989 Syncro with 273,000 km on the clock which I purchased when it had done 60,000 km around 1994. It was set up as a 'part' camper when new.

I joined this site to take advantage of member's knowledge and experience with their Syncros and have been following the postings for a few weeks now and I feel sure I have done the right thing.

Recently I had the rear LH wheel bearings renewed by a local workshop. After two weeks of trying to obtain a set of bearings the mechanic located some in Sydney which he was told were the last available!

After about a week's driving the Syncro stated to make the deteriorating wheel bearing noise again so I assumed that the rear RH bearings were on the way out. I jacked up the van and tested the 3 wheels which had not had the bearings replaced. All seemed to be OK.

Surely it couldn't be the wheel that had been repaired! Back on the jack, off with the hubcap and discovered that the the wheel nut had not been tightened or the locking split pin replaced. The wheel could be moved in and out 2-3mm.

After I post this message I will be composing a list of adjectives to use when I go to see the repairer tomorrow, but my immediate requirement is to locate a supplier of T3 wheel bearings so I am hoping members can help me.

I have not seen any postings from other WA members but I would like to hear from them as to their experience with local repairers and parts suppliers.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Gday John,Welcome,

Have you tried just tightening the hub nut?It needs to be 350Nm,which you wont get with a power bar.You need a heavy duty torque wrench and a long pipe to get this torque.
If you need to get new rear bearings,dont be fooled by 'last available',try Tooleys in Sydney or Volswerke in Vic.Not sure of any WA suppliers.Yurik is a WA member who pops up occasionally.
Goodluck
BenC

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elliott <ellcart44@...> wrote:
>
> Hullo my name is Jon Elliott living in Gracetown near Margaret River in the South West of WA and I am new to this site. I have a 1989 Syncro with 273,000 km on the clock which I purchased when it had done 60,000 km around 1994. It was set up as a 'part' camper when new.
> I joined this site to take advantage of member's knowledge and experience with their Syncros and have been following the postings for a few weeks now and I feel sure I have done the right thing.
> Recently I had the rear LH wheel bearings renewed by a local workshop. After two weeks of trying to obtain a set of bearings the mechanic located some in Sydney which he was told were the last available!
> After about a week's driving the Syncro stated to make the deteriorating wheel bearing noise again so I assumed that the rear RH bearings were on the way out. I jacked up the van and tested the 3 wheels which had not had the bearings replaced. All seemed to be OK.
> Surely it couldn't be the wheel that had been repaired! Back on the jack, off with the hubcap and discovered that the the wheel nut had not been tightened or the locking split pin replaced. The wheel could be moved in and out 2-3mm.
> After I post this message I will be composing a list of adjectives to use when I go to see the repairer tomorrow, but my immediate requirement is to locate a supplier of T3 wheel bearings so I am hoping members can help me.
> I have not seen any postings from other WA members but I would like to hear from them as to their experience with local repairers and parts suppliers.
>
> Regards
>
> Jon Elliott
>
Gday Jon,

Sounds like a Friday arvo rush job, the lads were late for the pay day pub crawl.

Just Kampers in Sydney list in their online catalogue the following:

From this site, you can order their free printed parts catalogue anytime, posted to your door. Doesn't include everything but still pretty handy.

Cheers.
Ken

Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 00:54:54 -0700

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Hi Jon

Welcolm,I think that I can help you.
I bought both front and rear wheel bearing kits from Just Campers ( justcampersaustralia.com. ) in Sydney in February as spares for a trip to Lake Ayre and  the Strzlecki desert. Fortunately didnt need them.

Details as written on box
Wheel bearing kit rear fits T2 and Type 25 including Syncro August 1971 on. Part no J11503    $35.95each
Front wheel bearing kit fits T25 Syncro 5/85 to 7/91. Part no J11571  $97.73each
Made in Germany by febi bilstein and rear comes complete with 2 seals and nut.
If you cant find any I can sell you one of mine.

Good luck
Graham.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 5:54 PM

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Hi Graham,

I would be  very interested to buy from you the 4 bearings from you as I consider to replace mine on the Tristar Doca .  I would pay you the price you quoted in your posting plus postage. Please let me know how you go...   Hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Graham Adams
Sent: Sunday, 22 May 2011 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Syncro_T3_Australia] T3 wheel bearings

Hi Jon

I bought both front and rear wheel bearing kits from Just Campers ( justcampersaustralia.com. ) in Sydney in February as spares for a trip to Lake Ayre and  the Strzlecki desert. Fortunately didnt need them.

Wheel bearing kit rear fits T2 and Type 25 including Syncro August 1971 on. Part no J11503    $35.95each

Front wheel bearing kit fits T25 Syncro 5/85 to 7/91. Part no J11571  $97.73each

Good luck

Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Hello Jon,

Besides the obvious bearing problems, you might also check the drum retaining bolts. If you have non-factory wheels, there is a possibility that the backside of your wheels have a flat mounting surface. Each drum has a 10mm drum retaining bolt that should be removed when using wheels which do not clearance holes behind them. This is not likely the problem but one more thing to check.

I discovered this little tidbit after a local (to me) shop re-installed my aftermarket wheels and did not line-up the wheels with the clearance holes over the drum retaining bolts. I was driving away and noticed in the side view mirror that the wheels appeared to exhibit a gentle wobble. Unfortunately, I did not catch it in time to save the wheel bearings. They were destroyed in less than mile of driving.

It is fortuitous that we do not have the same problems for such parts here in the US where tens of thousands of Vanagons (T3's) were delivered in both 2wd and Syncro. There are no differences between the Syncro bearing and the ones used on 2wd's.

Cheers,

BenT

sent from my electronic leash

On May 22, 2011, at 12:54 AM, Jon Elliott <ellcart44@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Regards

Jon Elliott 
Graham & all,

Lucky lad Graham ... those prices you paid are cheaper than current justkampersaustralia catalogue pricing, as per my previous posted links.

An interesting current price comparison for rear wheel bearing kits are ...

Just kampers australia pricing for one rear wheel bearing kit including a split pin is now $AU54.15.
GoWesty for one rear wheel bearing kit but with no split pin tots up to a mere $US117.80 plus int'l shipping. Go figure.
Van Cafe has a complete 2 rear wheel kit for $US113.50 plus int'l shipping. Still cheaper to buy locally.

Be interesting to compare the above pricings with Tooley Imports (Sydney) and VW Australia.

Cheers.

Ken

Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 19:13:57 +1000

Hi Jon

Good luck
Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Sorry Hart
 I wasn't suggesting that the bearings were for sale but just available to help someone out untill they were able to replace them for me. After reading Kens posting they're definitley  not for sale. Sorry mate.

Graham

Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:32 PM
Subject: RE: [Syncro_T3_Australia] T3 wheel bearings

Hi Graham,

I would be  very interested to buy from you the 4 bearings from you as I consider to replace mine on the Tristar Doca .  I would pay you the price you quoted in your posting plus postage. Please let me know how you go...   Hartmut

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Graham Adams

Hi Jon

Good luck

Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Hi Jon I live in Bunbury and have a trakka. My vehicle came from Augusta a year ago so you might know it from past sightings down your way. Happy to talk to you if you are ever up my way. greg

--- In Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elliott <ellcart44@...> wrote:
>
> Hullo my name is Jon Elliott living in Gracetown near Margaret River in the South West of WA and I am new to this site. I have a 1989 Syncro with 273,000 km on the clock which I purchased when it had done 60,000 km around 1994. It was set up as a 'part' camper when new.
> I joined this site to take advantage of member's knowledge and experience with their Syncros and have been following the postings for a few weeks now and I feel sure I have done the right thing.
> Recently I had the rear LH wheel bearings renewed by a local workshop. After two weeks of trying to obtain a set of bearings the mechanic located some in Sydney which he was told were the last available!
> After about a week's driving the Syncro stated to make the deteriorating wheel bearing noise again so I assumed that the rear RH bearings were on the way out. I jacked up the van and tested the 3 wheels which had not had the bearings replaced. All seemed to be OK.
> Surely it couldn't be the wheel that had been repaired! Back on the jack, off with the hubcap and discovered that the the wheel nut had not been tightened or the locking split pin replaced. The wheel could be moved in and out 2-3mm.
> After I post this message I will be composing a list of adjectives to use when I go to see the repairer tomorrow, but my immediate requirement is to locate a supplier of T3 wheel bearings so I am hoping members can help me.
> I have not seen any postings from other WA members but I would like to hear from them as to their experience with local repairers and parts suppliers.
>
> Regards
>
> Jon Elliott
>

Hi Jon,

Welcome! It’s good to have another syncro owner in the West. Your experience with the local workshop is quite disturbing.

The omission of tightening the wheel nut and not replacing the split pin could have resulted in an accident.  I would certainly point

that out to them and that would involve legal implications for them. You could try a couple of local suppliers of the bearings viz

Vee Dub Centre in Perth or a local bearing supplier in Bunbury as these bearings are common types and the seals are also available.

Seeing you are south in the country I would go with Kens link to Just Kampers – this way the bearings would be delivered at your doorstep.

Yurik

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jon Elliott
Sent: Sunday, 22 May 2011 3:55 PM

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Have you tried a "normal" bearing shop??? I paid $38 for the rear bearings and $7 for the seals,per wheel for the rear. The fronts were $98 each but I haven't bought the front ones yet as they we're EX Brisbane...and I didn't need them... Seal Imports are a great pace to get seals from as well,I haven't been able to NOT get a seal from them for anything I've needed,event gouverner seals for the auto boxes were sourced through them!!

Michael Hutchinson, Townsville, 88 Syncro, Manx buggys all powered by SUBARU!!!!!!!

Sender: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 20:39:36 +1000
To: Syncro _T3_Australia forum<syncro_t3_australia@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com

Graham & all,

Lucky lad Graham ... those prices you paid are cheaper than current justkampersaustralia catalogue pricing, as per my previous posted links.

Just kampers australia pricing for one rear wheel bearing kit including a split pin is now $AU54.15.
GoWesty for one rear wheel bearing kit but with no split pin tots up to a mere $US117.80 plus int'l shipping. Go figure.
Van Cafe has a complete 2 rear wheel kit for $US113.50 plus int'l shipping. Still cheaper to buy locally.

Be interesting to compare the above pricings with Tooley Imports (Sydney) and VW Australia.

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Jon

Good luck
Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Have you tried a "normal" bearing shop??? I paid $38 for the rear bearings and $7 for the seals,per wheel for the rear. The fronts were $98 each but I haven't bought the front ones yet as they we're EX Brisbane...and I didn't need them... Seal Imports are a great pace to get seals from as well,I haven't been able to NOT get a seal from them for anything I've needed,event gouverner seals for the auto boxes were sourced through them!!

Michael Hutchinson, Townsville, 88 Syncro, Manx buggys all powered by SUBARU!!!!!!!

Graham & all,

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Jon

Good luck
Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Michael,

Thanks a lot for that.

Just wondering then what info syncro owners need to take to the bearing shops so they can identify the correct front and rear bearings. Do they use an equivalents catalogue or similar, if so, do they then simply look up the vehicle model or do we need to know the VW  ETKA part numbers? Or what else is necessary to end up with correct rather than incorrect bearings.

Also would quality of bearings between brands/types also be an issue and so influence selling price? Are there known quality bearing brands and known rubbish brands?

Thanks in advance, might help members here find local bearing sources.

Cheers.

ken 

Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 21:42:34 +0000

Graham & all,

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Jon

Good luck
Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Sorry for my miss interpretation, my fault. Then again, I can get them from my local bearing shop.  Febi/Bilstein or SKF are possibly the best one can find.      Kind regards  Hart

Sent: Sunday, 22 May 2011 9:54 PM

Sorry Hart

I wasn't suggesting that the bearings were for sale but just available to help someone out untill they were able to replace them for me. After reading Kens posting they're definitley  not for sale. Sorry mate.

Graham

Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:32 PM

Hi Graham,

Hi Jon

Good luck

Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

I normally take an old bearing with me,or write down the number. As for quality......a good shop will sell good named bearings-SKF,BORO,NSK etc......the bloke I use has about 50 years experience in the industry and I've never stumped him yet,even bearings for my Argo....I've never seen him use a catalogue,he mumbles some numbers,goes out the back and comes back with bearings!!! If life was that simple.....

Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:02:02 +1000

Michael,

Thanks a lot for that.

Just wondering then what info syncro owners need to take to the bearing shops so they can identify the correct front and rear bearings. Do they use an equivalents catalogue or similar, if so, do they then simply look up the vehicle model or do we need to know the VW  ETKA part numbers? Or what else is necessary to end up with correct rather than incorrect bearings.

Also would quality of bearings between brands/types also be an issue and so influence selling price? Are there known quality bearing brands and known rubbish brands?

Cheers.

ken 

Graham & all,

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Jon

Good luck
Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Michael, is it possible to send us a pic  of your  Argo, ? there might be some people out there who don’t know what it looks like...... Hart

From: Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Syncro_T3_Australia@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of subimanx@dodo.com.au
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2011 3:43 PM

I normally take an old bearing with me,or write down the number. As for quality......a good shop will sell good named bearings-SKF,BORO,NSK etc......the bloke I use has about 50 years experience in the industry and I've never stumped him yet,even bearings for my Argo....I've never seen him use a catalogue,he mumbles some numbers,goes out the back and comes back with bearings!!! If life was that simple.....

Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 11:02:02 +1000

Michael,

Thanks a lot for that.

Cheers.

ken 

Graham & all,

Cheers.

Ken

Hi Jon

Good luck

Graham.

Regards

Jon Elliott 

Hi Jon,

try Volkshop in O'Connor.

08 9314 1379.

Mike's pretty helpful, always a few Syncro's there being nurtured.

Mark
Hullo Mark

Thanks for the contact, I'll give them a call.

Jon Elliott

Sent: Monday, 23 May 2011 5:04 PM
Subject: [Syncro_T3_Australia] Re: T3 wheel bearings

Hi Jon,

try Volkshop in O'Connor.

08 9314 1379.

Mike's pretty helpful, always a few Syncro's there being nurtured.

Mark

Just take the bearings down to the local bearing shop or engineers supplier and they will read the numbers stamped on them. You need to take both inner and outer races. The numbers are universal across all brands.

They can usually supply the seals as well - the dimensions are marked on them.

If the markings are unreadable they can measure them.

Always specify German bearings so you can sleep soundly at night. Dr. Porsche's ghost is a cranky bedmate.

You can tighten the hub nut with a long pipe slipped over the end of a socket handle. I use a 3/4" breaker bar with a 1.5 metre pipe and a 46 mm socket. The pipe lives in the van all the time and doubles as a lever and winch handle.

Weigh yourself, do the arithmetic, and work out how far from the center of the axle to mark the pipe to achieve the necessary tension. I like to think in pounds/feet because  it's a lot easier for me to get my head around. Just go to a conversion chart to work it out.

Reef up the handbrake, slot the gearlever into low, chock the wheels, and tighten the nut as much as you can by hand.

Now get ready for some calisthenics. Tie up the cattle dog, put the beer down in the shade, and set up the spanner and pipe so that it is angled slightly uphill, [but not so steep that you can't stand on it]. Make sure that the socket is fully seated on the nut, put your foot on the mark and apply gentle pressure to hold it in place.

Take a deep breath, grip the roof gutters with your fingertips, yell Zundfolge!!  and straddle the mark with both thongs.

When the nut is tight, hop up and down gracefully a couple of times. Make sure the kid's aren't looking in case you lose your stubbies.

Hop down, move the chocks, have a sip of beer, roll the van a couple of feet, then set it up and do it all over again, just to make sure. That will give the missus enough time to grab the camera. [If you win 'Funniest Home Videos' you might be able to afford a mechanic next time].

Check that the split-pin holes are lined up. You can always give it another bounce for luck. Bung in a new split pin, whack on the hub cap and you're ready to go.

I've been doing this for thirty five years and never lost a wheel, but for some reason I've had to move the mark on the pipe a few times.

One of nature's mysteries.

Another job done. Time for a beer.
                                                       Cheers, Roger [Beetle].